Home directory not having same contents after adding user for different server

Hi,

I add users using the command for all the server I use
eg for server 66 which has opensuse 12.1

Code:
--------------------

  powerme@msvlsi66:~> su -
  Password:
  msvlsi66:~ # useradd -g users -d /export/home/patil66 -m patil66
  msvlsi66:~ # passwd patil66
  Changing password for patil66.
  New Password:
  Bad password: it is based on a dictionary word
  Reenter New Password:
  Password changed.
  msvlsi66:~ #
--------------------

Similarly for  server 62 which has opensuse 10.3

Code:
--------------------

  msvlsi62 home/liuc> su -
  Password:
  msvlsi62:~ # useradd -g users -d /export/home/patil62 -m patil62
  msvlsi62:~ # passwd patil62
  Changing password for patil62.
  New Password:
  Bad password: it is based on a dictionary word
  Reenter New Password:
  Password changed.
  msvlsi62:~ #

--------------------

Now when I login using the patil66 and patil62 the contents of the home
directory are different or some files are missing!
on server 66

Code:
--------------------

  patil66@msvlsi66:~> pwd
  /export/home/patil66
  patil66@msvlsi66:~> ll
  total 8
  drwxr-xr-x 2 patil66 users 4096 Feb  8 10:42 bin
  drwxr-xr-x 2 patil66 users 4096 Feb  8 10:42 public_html
  patil66@msvlsi66:~>

--------------------

on server 62

Code:
--------------------

  msvlsi62 home/patil62> pwd
  /export/home/patil62
  msvlsi62 home/patil62> ll
  total 16
  drwx------ 2 patil62 users 4096 Feb  8 10:45 Documents
  drwxr-xr-x 2 patil62 users 4096 Feb  8 10:45 bin
  drwxr-xr-x 2 patil62 users 4096 Feb  8 10:45 public_html
  -rwxr-xr-x 1 patil62 users   46 Feb  8 10:45 vncme
  msvlsi62 home/patil62>

--------------------

we can see that both the home directories contents are different which
were suppose to be same.
Any idea whats happening here?

let me know if you need more information!

Thanks in Advance

Raj

--
patilrajashekar

patilrajashekar
2/8/2012 4:56:03 PM
opensuse.org.help.install 14389 articles. 0 followers. Follow

to me it looks like servers 62 and 66 are running different versions,
and those two different versions have different default contents for
newly created user /home

you can fix that, but i would advise you that openSUSE 10.3 on server 62
is FAR past its end of life and has received *no* security patches since
October 31st 2009--and LOTs of security patches have been propagated
since then!!

strongly suggest you move up to a supported system.

--
DD
Read what Distro Watch writes: http://tinyurl.com/SUSEonDW

In the mean time does this have anything to do with NFS? my NFS server
has opensuse 12.1

--
Raj
"Let Noble thoughts come to us from all side"

--
patilrajashekar
patilrajashekar's Profile: http://forums.opensuse.org/member.php?userid=65134

0
patilrajashekar
2/8/2012 5:56:03 PM
On 02/08/2012 11:13 AM, DenverD wrote:
> to me it looks like servers 62 and 66 are running different versions, and those
> two different versions have different default contents for newly created user /home
>
> you can fix that, but i would advise you that openSUSE 10.3 on server 62 is FAR
> past its end of life and has received *no* security patches since October 31st
> 2009--and LOTs of security patches have been propagated since then!!
>
> strongly suggest you move up to a supported system.

I agree with the recommendation to install the later version.

In each of the affected systems, check the userid and make sure that they are
the same, and that they match the file settings in the exported volume.

0
Larry
2/8/2012 6:09:17 PM
What is created in a new users home directory is configured in-
/etc/skel- as  you could have found out if you had read

Code:
--------------------
    man useradd
--------------------

It is quite possible that both systems differ there. Not only because
they are of different openSUSE level, but also because, while you call
both "servers" (which is a rather general term used by many PC-Windows
users as a term for other computers then PC-Windows computers), they
could have been installed very differently. Like the one having an Text
only install and the other a KDE install. This is illustrated IMHO by
the fact that the directory -Documents- is typicaly something belonging
to a Desktop environment.

--
Henk van Velden
hcvv's Profile: http://forums.opensuse.org/member.php?userid=180
View this thread: http://forums.opensuse.org/showthread.php?t=472219

0
hcvv
2/8/2012 6:36:02 PM
On 02/08/2012 06:56 PM, patilrajashekar wrote:
> does this have anything to do with NFS?

no NFS is not a player here...Henk is leading you correctly...pay
attention to him..

--
DD
Read what Distro Watch writes: http://tinyurl.com/SUSEonDW
0
DenverD

Adding a user with home directory
Hi, When I add a new user to the AD with a home directory specified I want the directory to be created (as if I added the user via the user manager). I want the new user to be the owner and the permissions set correctly. How to I do this? Thanks, /C There is not a ready, easy-made solution for this. You would have to go out to the server or DFS share and create the directory yourself. Then you would need to apply the appropriate permissions yourself as well. It can be done in code, but requires knowledge of DACLs and ACEs.Ryan DunnWeblog The BookLDAP Programming Help Also,...

Retrieving Home Directory from AD user.
Is it possible to authenticate users against users in the Active Directory, and, upon authentication, retrieve their Home Directory? We need this for our school (students can log in remotely and get their files). If you can't get the home directory, can we see which Roles they belong to? Thanks. You can certainly do both. The attribute for home directory is called "homeDirectory", so, to retrieve a user's home directory, you could do something like this: Dim user as New DirectoryEntry("LDAP://CN=Brian,DC=mydomain,DC=local") Dim share as String = Ctype...

Move home directories to different server
What is the best way to move users' home directories from NW 5.1/NSS to a new NW 6.5 server? We are doing no hardware migration, the source server remains running, I just need to move the users' data out of it. I tried to use the Novell Server Consolidation Utility to copy few testing directories to a temporary space on new server. It did it right, but how can I do the change of users' home directory entries in eDirectory? There are 4000 user accounts in our network. Is there some tool for such task or any scripts, examples? Thank you. Lukas Kubin I believe one o...

Server Rename User Home Directories
I renamed a NetWare 6.5 sp3 server. Everything seemed to go ok except now the user home dir attribute in NDS is gone. Is there an easy way to get this back or is it divide and conquer time. Thanks, Brian -- Brian T. Payne BS, CNA 5, Net+ Mount Vernon Nazarene University Mount Vernon, OH 43050 email: bpayne@mvnu.edu Brian Payne wrote: > I renamed a NetWare 6.5 sp3 server. Everything seemed to go ok except now > the user home dir attribute in NDS is gone. Is there an easy way to get > this back or is it divide and conquer time. http://www.novell.com/co...

MSDE Installation Help -- Installation Error (SetUp Failed To Configure The Server.) Help!
Dear Forum,   I am attempting to install MSDE to my PC in order to work with databases from my ASP.NET Web Matrix program.  So far I was able to do the following... Drop to the command line a extract the MSDE files from a CD ROM Select and initiate the setup.exe file and begin running the installation However, the installation gets hung up when attempting to configure the server.  I checked the error logs and the last log entry prior to the installation error message reads... "SQL Server is terminating due to 'stop' request from Service Control Manager." After which...

Move user home directory to new server
I want to move multiple users home direcotry to new server, the only change is server and volume, there is no change on path. How can I do this? I tried NWadmin to modify multiple users, after I put in new volume and apply the change, the path have been overwirte, and become blank. I tried to put variable %username or %login_name, they won't pick it up. , > How can I do this? > You could use UIMPORT for this, or easier SETHOME from the JRB utilities. - Anders Gustafsson, Engineer, CNE6, ASE NSC Volunteer Sysop (http://support-forums.novell.com) Pedag...

Install into user's HOME directory?

move user home directory to secondary server
I have to move user home directories to a secondary server. What's the best way to establish the new home directory reference in console one. I can go to the screen containing the home directory reference and manually enter the new location. Is there an automated way to do this??? i have already taken care of rights on the secondary server. Any Ideas??? asalazar@ci.chico.ca.us wrote: > I have to move user home directories to a secondary server. What's > the best way to establish the new home directory reference in console > one. I can go to the screen contain...

Move User home directories to new volume on same server
Running NW65SP7. We would like to move our USER home directories from one NSS volume to another NSS volume on the same server. We have used the 3rd party NWCOPY utility in the past for large inter/intra server file copies and it seems to work good. Since NWCOPY allows us to pre-copy the data in smaller chunks at a convenient time and then do a smaller delta/synch copy when the final cutover is planned, we likely plan on using this utility in combination with some other utilities like HOMES to change the eDir home directory attributes and file rights. Just wanted to get some i...

How to setup different home directories and .INI locations for users.
We are trying to setup a WDK environment similar to what we did with Citrix. In Citrix, each user could have a different "home" directory. Also, each user could have their own WIN.INI. I can't find any reference to this in the WDK documentation. How is it done? I don't believe that is possible. However, you should be able to store user specific information in the registry. On Fri, 07 Apr 2000 18:10:45 GMT, in sybase.public.webdeploykit Matthew Chestnut <NOSPAM_matthewc@proam.com> wrote: >We are trying to setup a WDK environment similar to wh...

Users refused SSH connection of home directory server.
I have an odd situation when using SSH connections for secure FTP file access on my NW6.5 servers. I've got two main data servers. Both are identical in setup: NW6.5SP8/eDir 8.8SP5 VM's running on identical Dell PE1950's attached to a Hitachi SAN array. One server hosts the users' home folders, the other holds data shared across the enterprise. I have a third data server at a remote campus. With the server that hosts the user's home folders, I've several accounts that are not able to connect. The server logs indicate a failed password. That same user,...

NIS setup with user home directory on one server
Hi all, I am new to OpenSuse. I am attempting to setup the following: 1.User login/authentication via a single NIS server. 2. User home directory should also be on the Same NIS server. 3. If possible to setup a single shared home directory for all users. OpenSuse version 11.2 There are twelve workstations from which users will login using the NIS authentication. I have succeeded in setting up NI server. However login fails as the home directory is not accessible. Any help / suggestions would be welcome. Tushar -- tvyoda ----------------------------------...

Creating a user directory other than home directory
Hey there, I have a two-fold problem. I have JRB utilities but I can not see how to make this work. We created a directory in the users home directory. We want to move all these directories out into another main directory and have the same file rights. Plus, when we add new users, we want this directory to be created automatically. Each teacher has a directory called GQWIN in their home directory. This is their gradebook. We want to move all of the teachers gradebooks into one central "Gradebook" directory, then their username, then the GQWIN directory. Curren...

Active Directory user home directory
Hi all. I have a question, how to sync home directorires of users from Identity Vault to Active Directory? Into AD there are 2 LDAP attributes calleds homeDrive (the network drive letter) and homeDirectory that is the network path used to map during user login. My doubt is about the eDirectory volume information. The volume will be not sync to the AD because AD does not recognize this information, right? So, how to sync? I was thinking about create 2 eDirectory attributes where I can write theese informations. What do you think about this? Anyone can help me? Best regards...

Web resources about - Home directory not having same contents after adding user for different server - opensuse.org.help.install

Wikipedia:Quick directory - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia
This page is a handy directory to various locations of interest in Wikipedia. Only dynamic pages should be listed here, no policy pages etc. ...

Wikipedia:WikiProject Council/Directory - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Business Directory Listings: Eight Smart Tips for You to Get Started
If you are considering a business directory listing for your small business, congratulations – you are on the right track. Local SEO, local customers, ...

LinkedIn Lookup iOS app aims to replace your company’s awful intranet employee directory
... continue reading at 9to5Mac . What do you think? Discuss "LinkedIn Lookup iOS app aims to replace your company’s awful intranet employee directory" ...

Atlas Partner Directory Launched
... just for Facebook and Instagram –advertising platform Atlas has one, as well. On that note, Atlas Tuesday introduced the Atlas Partner Directory ...

Slack announces App Directory store
... create more apps for the store, and a new framework called Botkit which should simplify the process of creating apps. The Slack App Directory, ...

The British Library’s ‘Save Our Sounds’ Program Creates Directory of UK Sound Collections
The long-feared deterioration of the world's sound collections is a coming to a head with the British Library's last-ditch initiative called ...

Researchers show how to steal Windows Active Directory credentials from the Internet
... showed at the Black Hat security conference. The attack, called an SMB relay, causes a Windows computer that's part of an Active Directory ...

Researchers find way to steal Windows Active Directory credentials from the Internet
The technique could enable attackers to attack Windows servers hosted in the cloud

Slack's App Directory proves it's more than just a chatroom
... are about to get a little easier to find and integrate within your team and over 160 of them live within the company's new Slack App Directory. ...