help upgrading from 11.0 to 11.2

hello, everyone..
it's been some time since i've posted in the forums, since my system
has been near flawless since my linux conversion..

i'm running opensuse 11.0 on a dell laptop..
i want to upgrade to 11.2, however, i am very cautious about losing my
files. there are files on this system which i absolutely can not afford
to lose, and they are only on this system.

i need help figuring out which method of upgrade will be the best, best
as in safest.
i've been looking through the forums, and my question has not been
answered yet...thus, i must ask the question flat out.
will someone(s) please assist me, or point me in the right direction,
in upgrading from 11.0 to 11.2?

the opensuse community has been sooo great to me, anytime i've needed
assistance. please dont let me down now, family.
THANKS MUCH!!!

--
sabaka

sabaka
11/24/2009 3:26:02 AM
opensuse.org.help.install 14389 articles. 0 followers. Follow

You pose an impossible question.

If you absolutely can't afford to lose the files, then don't upgrade
under any circumstances (unless the data is threatened by the age of the
system.)

Turn the system off if you possibly can - until you can do a backup.

It may not be the answer you want to hear, but any other answer is
reckless *given that someone's stated that they can't lose the data*.

If what you really mean is that you'd rather not, because you'd have to
download a load of films again, or whatever... Well, I think removing
all packages that aren't part of the base install, then using the DVD to
upgrade the system offline is probably the safest way.

It still might frazzle your data though...

--
Confuseling
Confuseling's Profile: http://forums.opensuse.org/member.php?userid=16190

0
Confuseling
11/24/2009 3:56:01 AM
sabaka;2074994 Wrote:
> there are files on this system which i absolutely can not afford to
> lose, and they are only on this system.

Back up the critical files you mentioned, before you upgrade.

If they are that important, I would keep a backup of them anyway.

Regards,
Barry.

--
OpenSUSE 11.1 (x86_64) KDE 4.3
Barry_Nichols's Profile: http://forums.opensuse.org/member.php?userid=24150
View this thread: http://forums.opensuse.org/showthread.php?t=426864

0
Barry
11/24/2009 4:26:02 AM
I agree backup your data.

Assuming you have a standard Suse install ie swap root and home
partitions. And your important data is on /home. You can do a new
install but at the point where the partition scheme happens manually
change the the home partition to NOT format. Allow the installer TO
format the root partition. Also be sure these are the correct
partitions. If you don't know type *mount* at a command line and record
what is mounted to which partitions before doing the install.

This is better then the upgrade option since upgrade does not wipe out
the old OS and misc setting can cause problems.

If you are moving between KDE 3.5 to 4.3 then it may save grief to
rename the .kde directory in your home to .kde.old (just before reboot!
or from terminal) and just brace yourself to reconfigure your desktop.

--
gogalthorp
gogalthorp's Profile: http://forums.opensuse.org/member.php?userid=37208
View this thread: http://forums.opensuse.org/showthread.php?t=426864

0
gogalthorp
11/24/2009 5:36:03 AM
sabaka;2074994 Wrote:

> i'm running opensuse 11.0 on a dell laptop..
> i want to upgrade to 11.2, however, i am very cautious about losing my
> files. there are files on this system which i absolutely can not afford
> to lose, and they are only on this system.

Buy a 16GB flash USB, external disk drive.. what ever; but back up
those files next time you turn your computer on.

You just need 8GB system partition or so, to install nice 11.2 system,
that doesn't touch 11.0, so you can migrate at your own pace.

In future seperate your data (/home plus other partitions) from the OS,
it'll make upgrades in future much less stressful.

--
robopensuse
robopensuse's Profile: http://forums.opensuse.org/member.php?userid=17292
View this thread: http://forums.opensuse.org/showthread.php?t=426864

0
robopensuse
11/24/2009 10:46:02 AM
gogalthorp;2075053 Wrote:
> You can do a new install but at the point where the partition scheme
> happens manually change the the home partition to NOT format
In my regular installs of 11.2, (sometimes importing mount points) when
doing custom partitioning; would by default NOT format existing
partitions.

I would actually have to tell the installer to re-format any
filesystems I wanted over-laying.

Don't be afraid to choose Create, Custom Partitioning for experts, it
lets you mount things as you like, and change options, as well as
providing a good overview of the disk.

--
robopensuse
robopensuse's Profile: http://forums.opensuse.org/member.php?userid=17292
View this thread: http://forums.opensuse.org/showthread.php?t=426864

0
robopensuse
11/24/2009 10:46:02 AM
thanks everyone for your helpful responses.

my main question was basically whether i would simply (*simply) be able
to do a smooth upgrade. it appears not.
no problem.
i did backup those files on a flash drive that i found and had, but was
unable to get my system to read until today.
sooo, i will just (*simply) do a fresh install of 11.2 when i have the
time to reconfigure all that will need to be reconfigured.
this will be a good thing, as it will afford me another opportunity to
be further educated in the oh so wonderful world of linux.

thanks again for all of your help.
sbk

--
sabaka
sabaka's Profile: http://forums.opensuse.org/member.php?userid=20195
View this thread: http://forums.opensuse.org/showthread.php?t=426864

0
sabaka
11/27/2009 9:36:01 AM
Back up the files by burning them on a CD/DVD or by putting them on a
usb flash drive

--
vader95
vader95's Profile: http://forums.opensuse.org/member.php?userid=32253
View this thread: http://forums.opensuse.org/showthread.php?t=426864

0
vader95
11/27/2009 1:46:02 PM
hello, people.
i just wanted to update on the upgrade.
...well, as of last night, i'm running opensuse 11.2.
i must say that it is smoother, seems lighter (despite the vast
improvements), and feels more 21century, than my very very well
functioning 11.0 setup.
after installing, i was surprised to see that all of the files that i
backed up were present in the fresh 11.2. even the basic structure of my
desktop settings were retained.
..it did take me a while to figure out how to use the network manager,
and get my wireless operating....but 1 and half to 2 hours is sooo much
better than a couple days to a week, like it was with my 11.0..so glad
the opensuse geniuses integrated the b43 drivers, etc., rather than
having us go on multiple quests.
the opensuse community helped tremendously with the wirless setup...the
op.su community also helped evenmore with my compiz issues...it took me
many hours to setup; finally just scrapping all of the compiz i
installed and following one of the direct tutorials of one of the op.su
geniuses (too lazy to find and paste thread link here)

now, although as of my waking today i havent had the issues
yet...before i went to sleep at 5-6 something this morning, i had
many--no, MMAANNYY--crashes!! from a variety of actions: rotating a
cube, switching desktops, closing yast, closing firefox, deleting a
panel, changing mouse settings, and a couple other things i cant
remember (as my patience was gone, and my energy was drained).

..so, has anyone else been having these crashing issues??
i havent sent bug reports, nor have i posted diagnostics here, because
from my experiences with opensuse, these issues somehow miraculously
work themselves out....so, i'm being patient about it.
but, if any of you uber-intelligent folk here have any uber-intelligent
insights on this crashing, it would be greatly appreciated if you could
share!!

thanks, friends

--
sabaka
sabaka's Profile: http://forums.opensuse.org/member.php?userid=20195
View this thread: http://forums.opensuse.org/showthread.php?t=426864

0
sabaka
12/6/2009 3:26:01 PM
Here are the steps how I successfully did a live upgrade from 11.0 to
11.2:
1. Open Yast's Software Repositories, disable the rest, enable & edit
the following:
-Updates (edit & change 11.0 to 11.2)
-Oss (edit & change 11.0 to 11.2)
-Non-Oss (edit & change 11.0 to 11.2)
Save & exit

2. Make sure you run the following commands as root or
#sudo zypper in zypper
#sudo zypper ref
#sudo zypper dup
(It would take around 2 to 3 hours to upgrade, it depends on your
connection speed)
Once upgrade is completed, reboot the system.
At 1st reboot, it won't boot in GUI mode (Gnome). The command prompt
will show up. Run this command as root or:
#sudo zypper update
Once the update is completed, reboot the system & there you have it!
Suse 11.2 login screen in GUI (in my case it's Gnome).

3. Open Yast's Software Repositories, you may now enable those
repositories as you would like such as OpenOffice, Mozilla, Packman &
other 3rd party's.
Open & run Yast's Online Update Configuration
Open & run Yast's Online Update

--
simkokeng
simkokeng's Profile: http://forums.opensuse.org/member.php?userid=7316
View this thread: http://forums.opensuse.org/showthread.php?t=426864

0
simkokeng
6/22/2010 3:36:02 AM
sabaka;2082675 Wrote:
> hello, people.
> i just wanted to update on the upgrade.
> ...well, as of last night, i'm running opensuse 11.2.
> i must say that it is smoother, seems lighter (despite the vast
> improvements), and feels more 21century, than my very very well
> functioning 11.0 setup.
> after installing, i was surprised to see that all of the files that i
> backed up were present in the fresh 11.2. even the basic structure of my
> desktop settings were retained.
> ..it did take me a while to figure out how to use the network manager,
> and get my wireless operating....but 1 and half to 2 hours is sooo much
> better than a couple days to a week, like it was with my 11.0..so glad
> the opensuse geniuses integrated the b43 drivers, etc., rather than
> having us go on multiple quests.
> the opensuse community helped tremendously with the wirless setup...the
> op.su community also helped evenmore with my compiz issues...it took me
> many hours to setup; finally just scrapping all of the compiz i
> installed and following one of the direct tutorials of one of the op.su
> geniuses (too lazy to find and paste thread link here)
>
> now, although as of my waking today i havent had the issues
> yet...before i went to sleep at 5-6 something this morning, i had
> many--no, MMAANNYY--crashes!! from a variety of actions: rotating a
> cube, switching desktops, closing yast, closing firefox, deleting a
> panel, changing mouse settings, and a couple other things i cant
> remember (as my patience was gone, and my energy was drained).
>
> ..so, has anyone else been having these crashing issues??
> i havent sent bug reports, nor have i posted diagnostics here, because
> from my experiences with opensuse, these issues somehow miraculously
> work themselves out....so, i'm being patient about it.
> but, if any of you uber-intelligent folk here have any uber-intelligent
> insights on this crashing, it would be greatly appreciated if you could
> share!!
>
> thanks, friends

Are you using KDE or GNOME? Also do these crashes occur with Desktop
Effects turned off? Do you have your graphics drivers installed
correctly?

Take Care,

Ian

--
Laptop: Dell Inspiron E1505 | OpenSUSE 11.2/Windows XP | KDE 4.3.3 "3" |
Intel CPU T2050 1.6 GHz | Intel 945GM | 3.2GB RAM
View this thread: http://forums.opensuse.org/showthread.php?t=426864

0
ijbreakey

Install 11.1RC1 messed up 11.0 install -- help
I loaded opensuse 11.1 RC1 live CD last night to see how it worked. I got stuck configuring the network card. It seemed that the network switch was off and wouldn't turn on so that even though the firmware was installed I couldn't get past that issue. So I decided to go ahead and install a second copy of opensuse on the machine, so that I would be about to reconfigure and reboot. I have a copy of opensuse 11.0. I configured 2 new partitions 3.75GB for the root, 256MB for /var. I configured it to use the existing 1GB swap, the existing 1GB /temp, and the existing 1GB ...

11.2 install failure but 11.1 to 11.2 upgrade (partial) success
Machine is basically an ASUS mother board with an AMD64 Athlon x2 processor and Nvidia hardware RAID discs mirroring each other. It has been used as a server for about four years under various incantations of openSUSE. After a major software corruption a couple of days ago, I decided to install 11.2 from an iso image downloaded, MD5 check-summed OK. The DVD was burnt on an iMac at the lowest speed (x8) and verified correctly. Installation proceeded as expected from partitioning to the installation of the GRUB loader - which failed - but only with a warning. Of course any attempt...

can i move all device files from one 11.0.2 installation to another 11.0.2 installation with their server.cfg files ?
are there any problems n doing this ? ...

Upgrading from 11.0 to 11.2 #2
Hi all, I have this 11.0 64bit workstation here. It has been running flawlessly for the longest time. It is setup really nicely for this particular job. Anyways, I would to upgrade it to 11.2 64bit without starting from scratch. What would be the best, simplest way to do this? Thanks Heeter -- Linux Counter 475994 OpenSuse11.2-64Bit Gnome 2.28.2 AMD64 4000+ 3Gig Ram 250GigHD ------------------------------------------------------------------------ Honestly, forget it. Backup and re-install. 11.2 uses ext4 as well so it's even more complicated, although yo...

sybinbit troubles when upgrading from 11.0.2.2 to 11.0.3 on HP-UX
I'm having troubles with sybinit when trying to upgrade servers on our test box. Sometimes after all the pre-upgrade verification syninit's upgrade process gets to the point where it shuts down the SQL Server I get a connection timeout (see details below). The server does shutdown almost immediately, but somehow sybinit never figures that out. I'm looking for workarounds and want to be confident in them before I upgrade production. I've heard that a binary replacement is same same as using sybinit's upgrade process from some contacts at Sybase Tech Support, but a...

Upgrade 11.0.2 to 11.9.2
Hi. A long while back I noticed that the "official" Sybase documentation seemed to state that the proper upgrade path from 11.0.2 to 11.9.2 was to go through 11.5 first. For example, I'm looking at my 11.9.2 Release Bulletin, page 9, which specifies that I can upgrade to 11.9.2 only from 10.0.2.7, 11.0.3.3, 11.5, 11.5.1, or 11.91. No mention of 11.0.2. However, more recently I've seen info (primarily on the newsgroup) that seems to say I can go directly from 11.0.2 to 11.9.2. Is this generally considered to be true? Thanks. - John. John Flynn wrote: ...

Upgrading from 11.0.2 to 11.0.3
Hi sybase I need to upgrade a server from the 11.0.2 to the 11.0.3 but I can find no documentation describing this procedure. I would be most grateful if you could send me detailed instructions and the script for performing this upgrade. Thanks Idan from NEXUS telecommunications inc. Astar wrote: > I need to upgrade a server from the 11.0.2 to the 11.0.3 but I can find > no documentation describing this procedure. > > I would be most grateful if you could send me detailed instructions and > the script for performing this upgrade. Its pretty tr...

upgrade 11.0.2 to 11.0.3
upgrade fails with message in sybinit log : Database model must be altered to have at least 1 more MB. Database sybsystemprocs must be altered to have at least 1 more MB. although model was left as it is after install, and sybsystemprocs is 50MB (min. 21MB according to manual). Is there someone, who has similar experiences and can help? Thanks in advance Reinhold Reinhold Mrazek <reinhold.mrazek@adidas.de> wrote: >upgrade fails with message in sybinit log : > Database model must be altered to have at least 1 more MB. > Datab...

Upgrade of 11.0.0 to 11.0.1 AND 11.0 EBF's
X86 Update of 11.0.0 to 11.0.1 was released 03 Mar 2009 Update of 11.0.0 to build 1598 was released 23 Apr 2009 Should 11.0.0 to build 1598 be applied to 11.0.1 ? ChuckGo No. EBFs should only be applied against the MR that it is intended. The 1598 EBF is intended for 11.0.0. And EBF for 11.0.1 is pending. - chris Charles.Gogolin@stanleyassociates.com wrote: > X86 > > Update of 11.0.0 to 11.0.1 was released 03 Mar 2009 > > Update of 11.0.0 to build 1598 was released 23 Apr 2009 > > Should 11.0.0 to build 1598 be applied to 11.0.1 ? ...

Help..TechSupport is having trouble (Load 11.9.2 from 11.0.3.3)
I am currently running 11.9.2. EBF 8948 and attempting to load from 11.0.3.3 dump. Sybase says it is a new bug that is currently in engineering. They suggest that I redump during "slow" time and attempt to load again. We dump the transaction log from the source every 10 minutes and hardly see the log over 5 MB of 300 MB allocated. This doesn't make sense. Any suggestions on this? The data space and log space are identical in each server. Take care. JCS Here is the errorlog: 01:00000:00018:1999/07/13 08:45:23.41 server Error: 3473, Severity: 21, State: 1 ...

Help
I first tried this with the version 11.0 and then again with 11.1 with no difference. I boot from the liveCD, everything looks good and then the entire screen goes blank and stays blank. I suspect this happens when it attempts to switch to the graphical video mode. The quick hardware specs are: * New blank SATA HDD is installed. * I'm booting from the LiveCD * Dell Dimension 8400 with 4-Gigs RAM * Video card is a NVidia 9500GT with dual DVI outputs. This setup works perfect with WinXP-Pro and with Ubuntu 8.04. But with OpenSuse (and Fedora 10.0) it gets to a certain poin...

Help Help Help Help Help Help

HELP!HELP!HELP!HELP!HELP!HELP!

Downgrade from 11.0.3.2 to 11.0.2.2
Greetings! Could anyone list out the procedure to downgrade the the SQL Server from 11.0.3.2 and 11.0.2.2. I installed 11.0.3.2 on a separate directory and did the upgradation. I just want to prepare in advance to go back to 11.0.2.2 in case we face any problems with the new release. Thanks, - John John Smith wrote: > > Greetings! > > Could anyone list out the procedure to downgrade the the SQL Server from > 11.0.3.2 and > 11.0.2.2. I installed 11.0.3.2 on a separate directory and did the > upgradation. > I just want to prepare in advance to go...

Web resources about - help upgrading from 11.0 to 11.2 - opensuse.org.help.install

Mac Spoofed: Upgrading [Low Quality]
PC teaches Mac about the benefits of upgradability.

Nuclear states still upgrading stocks

Looks like Labor's upgrading from Tarago to minibus
The people of Stafford have done the rest of Queensland a favour by electing Dr Anthony Lynham.

Upgrading IOIO to Bluetooth - YouTube