grub installation problem when installing over Ubuntu

hi,
I have ubuntu and windows running right now in my pc and I want to
replace ubuntu (keeping home). But the problem comes with the
bootloader, when the system restarts the system goes to grub menu and
just sit over there. Its not a perfect grub menu too, as i cant do grub
update and all.
During installation of opensuse also some warning comes when
configuring bootloader(did it 1.5 months back) that system might not be
able to function properly due to some size constraint. I tried to
install grub it in both root partition and MBR one by one but doesn't
work and the issue remained the same. this type of installation leaves
the system paralyzed and i don't want that.
However I am very much interested in using opensuse. currently Ubuntu's
grub is functional don't know where it is installed.
If anyone can take me out of this then I will much appreciate the
help.
Thanks all.

--
devish

devish
11/29/2011 12:06:03 AM
opensuse.org.help.install 14389 articles. 0 followers. Follow

When installing openSUSE after Ubuntu, I install openSUSE's Grub it it's
own partition and - important! - I '*prevent openSUSE from writing a
generic bootcode into MBR*' (http://tinyurl.com/3ldhduh) (that would
overwrite Ubuntu's Grub). At the first reboot, Ubuntu's Grub shows up
and of course, it doesn't contain an entry to boot openSUSE at this
point. I boot Ubuntu, run update-grub in a terminal (see my example
below)

Code:
--------------------
    $ sudo update-grub
  Generating grub.cfg ...
  Found background image: /usr/local/share/images/Ubuntu/ocelot.jpg
  Found linux image: /boot/vmlinuz-3.0.0-13-generic
  Found initrd image: /boot/initrd.img-3.0.0-13-generic
  Found linux image: /boot/vmlinuz-3.0.0-12-generic
  Found initrd image: /boot/initrd.img-3.0.0-12-generic
  Found memtest86+ image: /boot/memtest86+.bin
  Found Windows NT/2000/XP (loader) on /dev/sda1
  *Found openSUSE 12.1 (x86_64) on /dev/sda10
  *Found Fedora release 15 (Lovelock) on /dev/sda12
  Found Debian GNU/Linux (squeeze/sid) on /dev/sda16
  Found Windows NT/2000/XP (loader) on /dev/sdb1
  Found Gentoo Base System release 1.12.13 on /dev/sdb6
  Found Windows NT/2000/XP (loader) on /dev/sdc1
  Found unknown Linux distribution on /dev/sdc18
  Found unknown Linux distribution on /dev/sdc3
  done

--------------------

Then I reboot, select the entry for openSUSE - which should have been
added - and proceed with openSUSE setup.

--
please_try_again
please_try_again's Profile: http://forums.opensuse.org/member.php?userid=10877

0
please
11/29/2011 12:46:03 AM
but i don't want ubuntu, I want to replace it completely with opensuse
keeping /home.
Will that be possible keeping Ubuntu's grub and installing opensuse's
grub in /(i think not)?
there must be a way...

--
devish
devish's Profile: http://forums.opensuse.org/member.php?userid=61186
View this thread: http://forums.opensuse.org/showthread.php?t=468848

0
devish
11/29/2011 5:06:03 AM
devish;2411876 Wrote:
> but i don't want ubuntu, I want to replace it completely with opensuse
> keeping /home.
> Will that be possible keeping Ubuntu's grub and installing opensuse's
> grub in /(i think not)?
> there must be a way...

Oh, OK.Then just install openSUSE. It doesn't matter where you install
Grub. If you don't install openSUSE's Grub in MBR, it will write a
generic boot code there and activate the Grub partition. If you install
Grub in both location or only in the MBR, it's OK too.  It you keep the
/home partition, I recommend choosing another login name.

devish;2411876 Wrote:
> I tried to install grub it in both root partition and MBR one by one but
> doesn't work and the issue remained the same. this type of installation
> leaves the system paralyzed and i don't want that.

I don't know what's causing the problem. You'll need to tell us or
inverstigate more. But instaling stage1 of Grub in both locations is
usually fine. If you have the choice, MBR is safer (from a Linux point
of view - but Windows users don't  like it for other reasons).

--
please_try_again
please_try_again's Profile: http://forums.opensuse.org/member.php?userid=10877
View this thread: http://forums.opensuse.org/showthread.php?t=468848

0
please
11/29/2011 6:26:03 AM
It is possible to do, But it's not for the faint of heart!!!
Read ALL of this post before you even try this!!
If there is any part of post that you don't understand then don't do
it!!!

you will need:
A copy of Puppy Linux --  'DistroWatch.com: Puppy Linux'
(http://distrowatch.com/table.php?distribution=puppy)
Your Windows XP install disc or Windows vista/ 7 repair disc

You didn't say what version of Ubuntu or Windows you have
So I assume it's Windows XP or better..
First you MUST back up your data on both the Windows
& Ubuntu Partition as you could & might very likely end
up wiping the drive.

With XP you boot the disc to a recovery console:
from the Command line (console) type    fixboot   and  hit enter
then type    fixmrb   and hit enter.
input y to any prompts you might get.

With Vista / 7 you boot the repair disc
follow the prompts till you get to the
Command Prompt type    fixboot   and  hit enter
then type    fixmrb   and hit enter.
input y to any prompts you might get.

At this point a reboot should boot Windows straight up without GRUB
showing up.
If not you have messed up and may need your backup. If Windows booted
properly then
shut down Windows to a system reboot using the Puppy Linux CD. (Boot
the Puppy CD).
Mount the Ubuntu partition and you should be able to remove the Ubuntu
files (But don"t touch your /home folder).
Install openSuse but "don't" allow it to format any partitions and make
sure the installer points /home to your old /home folder.
(you might need to use the custom partition option)
Use your old login user name and login name. If all went well you will
be duel booting openSuse and Windows with all files intact.

PS:
note that Ubuntu uses GRUB 2 openSuse uses GRUB 1 Suse doesn't
recognize Ubuntu's bootloader that's the problem here.

--
Never Trust The Wolf
Lykopis's Profile: http://forums.opensuse.org/member.php?userid=15606
View this thread: http://forums.opensuse.org/showthread.php?t=468848

0
Lykopis
11/29/2011 6:46:03 AM
I just noticed I mistyped the recovery commands
they should be:

With XP you boot the disc to a recovery console:
from the Command line (console) type fixboot and hit enter
then type fixmbr and hit enter.
input y to any prompts you might get.

With Vista / 7 you boot the repair disc
follow the prompts till you get to the
Command Prompt type fixboot and hit enter
then type fixmbr and hit enter.
input y to any prompts you might get.

Sorry for the messup on my part

--
Never Trust The Wolf
Lykopis's Profile: http://forums.opensuse.org/member.php?userid=15606
View this thread: http://forums.opensuse.org/showthread.php?t=468848

0
Lykopis
11/29/2011 8:46:03 AM
Hmmm ... If the goal is/was (?)  to recover Windows bootloader,
installing openSUSE with default settings will write a generic bootcode
to MBR and activate the Grub partition.  All you need to do after that
is to set the bootflag on the Window partition using one of the fdisk,
sfdisk, cfdisk, gparted, among others commands available on all Linux
live CDs. Then, at next boot, you'll have Windows booting. It is
unlikely that the Windows bootsector has been damaged, unless you messed
up with partitioning or installed Grub in the Windows partition ... not
100% excluded but it's an 'uncommon' mistake. However, the world has
changed many times (for the worse) since the last time I used Windows.

Lykopis;2411937 Wrote:

> Never Trust The Wolf

We don't.

--
please_try_again
please_try_again's Profile: http://forums.opensuse.org/member.php?userid=10877
View this thread: http://forums.opensuse.org/showthread.php?t=468848

0
please
11/29/2011 9:46:02 AM
please_try_again;2411945 Wrote:
> Hmmm ... If the goal is/was (?)  to recover Windows bootloader,
> installing openSUSE with default settings will write a generic bootcode
> to MBR and activate the Grub partition.  All you need to do after that
> is to set the bootflag on the Window partition using one of the fdisk,
> sfdisk, cfdisk, gparted, among others commands available on all Linux
> live CDs. Then, at next boot, you'll have Windows booting. It is
> unlikely that the Windows bootsector has been damaged, unless you messed
> up with partitioning or installed Grub in the Windows partition ... not
> 100% excluded but it's an 'uncommon' mistake. However, the world has
> changed many times (for the worse) since the last time I used Windows.

True, however on duel boot rigs Ubuntu writes GRUB to the master boot
record by default.
I have found myself looking at a GRUB error more times than I care to
count when myself
or someone I know wants to change from Ubuntu to some other Distro
(openSuse included).
It's not a big problem if Windows is not to be saved or not on the rig
to start with,
a change to the installer options will fix it. On the other hand if you
need Windows then
starting with only Windows booting  is a good option, if you know what
needs to be done.
The fixboot and fixmbr commands from the Windows disc will do that for
you.
I had to install openSuse 3 times before I figured out that Ubuntu had
really messed up my MBR.
Later on I just backed up the drive and did a full install on an
encrypted LVM setup ---- goodbye MS Windows :peace: ----

--
Never Trust The Wolf
Lykopis's Profile: http://forums.opensuse.org/member.php?userid=15606
View this thread: http://forums.opensuse.org/showthread.php?t=468848

0
Lykopis
11/29/2011 9:06:03 PM
Lykopis;2412237 Wrote:
> True, however on duel boot rigs Ubuntu writes GRUB to the master boot
> record by default.

Yes it does. It has to. It wouldn't be clever to install Grub2
bootloader somewhere else - possible but discouraged. See my post here:
http://tinyurl.com/43npm82

Lykopis;2412237 Wrote:

> The fixboot and fixmbr commands from the Windows disc will do that for
> you.

Absolutely. But you don't need them if you're going to install
openSUSE. Installing openSUSE with default settings (while it will put a
generic bootcode in the MBR) is the equivalent of fixmbr. Everytime you
install openSUSE, you're doing a fixmbr. openSUSE (default) setup is
nice to Windows and nasty to other Linux distros using Grub2. As for
fixboot, you don't need it either because the Windows bootsector (the
first sector of the Windows partition, not the MBR) hasn't  probably
been touched by anyone (unless you really messed up with your Windows
partition - but none of the Linux or Unix writes in this bootsector).

--
please_try_again
please_try_again's Profile: http://forums.opensuse.org/member.php?userid=10877
View this thread: http://forums.opensuse.org/showthread.php?t=468848

0
please
11/29/2011 9:46:03 PM
thanks for the replies.
fixmbr stuff via window dvd looks cool and easy but I don't have the
dvd now

please_try_again;2411945 Wrote:
>  All you need to do after that is to set the bootflag on the Window
> partition using one of the fdisk, sfdisk, cfdisk, gparted, among others
> commands available on all Linux live CDs.
please_try_again, is it really required to set the bootflag first on
the windows then do the install, while reading your comments it seems we
can install opensuse directly as you said the mbr will be overwritten
with opensuse's grub so no need. is my assumption true.? if so then i
need to find why last time everything went blank.

burning the dvd may be before another reply  the expperiment will be
over/

--
devish
devish's Profile: http://forums.opensuse.org/member.php?userid=61186
View this thread: http://forums.opensuse.org/showthread.php?t=468848

0
devish
11/30/2011 5:36:03 PM
devish;2412666 Wrote:

> please_try_again, is it really required to set the bootflag first on
> the windows then do the install

No. It's only required if you want the Windows partition to take
control - and so boot (only) Windows. I don't think that's what you
want. I was actually just explaining (to @Lykopis) that you don't need
fixmbr - doesn't mean that it doesn't work, but you see, you don't have
a Windows DVD. Not to mention that there are Linux tools which are able
to write Windows bootsectors: 'ms-sys'
(http://ms-sys.sourceforge.net/).

devish;2412666 Wrote:

> while reading your comments it seems we can install opensuse directly
> as you said the mbr will be overwritten with opensuse's grub so no
> need.

Yes and no. Unless you uncheck some options and check other ones, the
MBR will be overwriten with generic boot code - not with Grub. However
you can install Grub in MBR too. It's up to you:

http://tinyurl.com/3hb4b6u
http://tinyurl.com/3ldhduh

What can I say? There are too many Windows users here. Ok, then I will
say that generic code is fine. The Grub bootloader will be installed
either in the Linux root partition if it's a primary one, otherwise in
the extended partition. The partition containing Grub will be set active
(have the bootflag), the generic boot code will pass control to it and
it will boot. So you will get a Grub menu, from where you will be able
to choose between Linux and Windows. I you install Grub in MBR, you will
get the same boot menu and the same choices. There are several
possibilities which all have their advantages and inconveniences.

devish;2412666 Wrote:

> is my assumption true.?

Yes.

devish;2412666 Wrote:

> if so then i need to find why last time everything went blank.

Yes. It might have been another problem or two unrelated but
simultaneous problems.

--
please_try_again
please_try_again's Profile: http://forums.opensuse.org/member.php?userid=10877
View this thread: http://forums.opensuse.org/showthread.php?t=468848

0
please
11/30/2011 6:16:03 PM
here again i am left with a corrupt state.>:(

Code:
--------------------
    Disk /dev/sda: 250.1 GB, 250059350016 bytes
  255 heads, 63 sectors/track, 30401 cylinders, total 488397168 sectors
  Units = sectors of 1 * 512 = 512 bytes
  Disk identifier: 0x36e73395

  /dev/sda1              63    81915434    40957686    7  HPFS/NTFS/exFAT
  /dev/sda2   *    81915496   488396799   203240652    f  W95 Ext'd (LBA)
  /dev/sda5        81915498   249871881    83978192    7  HPFS/NTFS/exFAT
  /dev/sda6       249872384   486318079   118222848   83  Linux
  /dev/sda7       486320128   488396799     1038336   82  Linux swap / Solaris

--------------------

here looking at fdisk-- the partitioner can't find the /home neither /
so i cannot explicitly mount each type of partition.
Please tell me what to do. I don't want to format the system now

--
devish
devish's Profile: http://forums.opensuse.org/member.php?userid=61186
View this thread: http://forums.opensuse.org/showthread.php?t=468848

0
devish
12/1/2011 3:26:02 AM
How come you didn't post a fdisk output before installing?
How come we didn't ask?

From where are you posting this output right now, live or installed
system?

Notice that by default, Ubuntu doesn't use a separate /home. Maybe
that's the problem: You never had a /home partition. Non formating it
wasn't possible in this case (or at least much more tricky than you
would expect, I should say).

--
please_try_again
please_try_again's Profile: http://forums.opensuse.org/member.php?userid=10877
View this thread: http://forums.opensuse.org/showthread.php?t=468848

0
please
12/1/2011 4:06:02 AM
hmm, i was under the impression that there will /home separately as
mostly i use suse. its from live system
so here i am.
while installing as there was no /home i pointed suse to /dev/sda6 but
after copying almost all the root image
to disk it gave an error, so now ubuntu is gone but grub wasn't written
so ubuntu grub is intact and i can
open windows.

if any trick can rescue this situation then please let me know
thanks

--
devish
devish's Profile: http://forums.opensuse.org/member.php?userid=61186
View this thread: http://forums.opensuse.org/showthread.php?t=468848

0
devish
12/1/2011 4:26:02 AM
You could have kept your /home but you didn't have any. Sounds like a
bad day.

As for the error you got, we don't have enough info to say what went
wrong. First thing to try is a media check, then a hdd check.

--
please_try_again
please_try_again's Profile: http://forums.opensuse.org/member.php?userid=10877
View this thread: http://forums.opensuse.org/showthread.php?t=468848

0
please

To install or not to install?

Problem Installing Modules via install\module During DNN Install
I'm currently troubleshooting an install problem that is killing me since I do 3-5 installs of DNN per day.With v3.0.13 I had an 9 modules I placed in the install\module folder for automatic installation.  With v3.1 that number has increased to 25 (I'm not sure if the number has anything to do with it).When installing DNN v3.1, the install page lists all of the modules. EX:00:00:18.078 -   Installing Module File C:\hshome\jangles\bunstore.co.uk\Install\Module\Announcements_3.1.0.zip:00:00:19.218 -   Installing Module File C:\hshome\jangles\bunstore.co.uk\Install...

Installation Problems Installing NW50SP6A
HI I Have a Netwareserver with V 5.0 german I try to Install SRVPack 6a After expanding downloaded File NW50SP6A in the Folder SYS:\NW50SP6A i call "INSTALL ANOTHER PRODUKT" in the Config Screen Then after pressing F3 i specified the Path " SYS:\NW50SP6A" Then i get the Message " netamain.ils not Found " Whats wrong. Can somebdy help me to solve this problem Thanks H.J. Claas > Then after pressing F3 i specified the Path " SYS:\NW50SP6A" > > Then i get the Message " netamain.ils not Found " Ch...

Install Bugzilla on windows with postgresql problem... first install please help
Hi all, I'm doing my first install of bugzilla and run into this this problem. DBD::Pg is installed but checksetup.pl still complain about it. I'm really new to mozilla/perl/* stuff so I have no Idea how to solve this problem. I searched the web for an answer without success. Thansk for your help Best Regards /David ppm> rep add Bugzilla http://landfill.bugzilla.org/ppm Repositories: [1] ActiveState Package Repository [2] Bugzilla [3] Bugzilla [4] Bugzilla [5] Bugzilla ppm> install DBD::Pg ==================== Install 'DBD-PgPP' version 0.05 i...

If somebody could tell me what should be the problem. I installed Mozilla 1.7 under Mandrake Linux 9.1. But there are no icons installed into my KDE automaticly. Mozulla 1.7 installation problem
If somebody could tell me what should be the problem. I installed Mozilla 1.7 under Mandrake Linux 9.1. But there are no icons installed into my KDE automaticly. What should be the problem? ...

Help
--____LPHMXLZMXOMRLFKSEJCW____ Content-Type: text/plain; charset=iso-8859-1 Content-Transfer-Encoding: quoted-printable The server object and "servername-PS" objects have been created, but the = server seems to have stuck! Any ideas? I had to type IP address of server with replica, which seemed to work = (installing over VPN link, but I've done this before with no trouble and = there is no problem I'm aware of with the link - everything else works) Cheers, Peter. --____LPHMXLZMXOMRLFKSEJCW____ Content-Type: multipart/related; boundary="____WHPEPQY...

Inspiron 1000 install problem (11.1, 11.2, net install, dvd install)
Ok, I have a plain jane Inspiron 1000, 2ghz celeron, 256m ram, 40gig hd, dvd. I burned 11.2 to dvd, 11.1 to dvd, tried installing both. Both get the dreaded "cannot create repository" (i'm paraphrasing). No problem, I download and burn 11.1, 11.2 net install's, checksums check out ok. I go through the first part where it downloads stuff from download.opensuse.com (or something similiar), then it fails again, not able to install. I get no message on the net installs. Just fails real quick with a red box. I tried a text install, fails. What gives? --...

VSI installation problem
This error message occurs for me when attempting to install any VSI package (including TimeTracker etc). The templates do not appear in the My Templates section of Visual Studio 2005 Beta 2.. Help or suggestions appreciated! Me too,can't get the damn f**g thing to install, tried many times but still same error with all .VSI Packs  personal, club &  time tracker  ....... HELP  HELP HELP HELP only thing i can think of is that i didn't uninstall .NET Framework as recomended in "Uninstalling Express Editions" note for...

Is there a Gzip installer that I could install ?
Trying to make things easier I have a question about the linux desktop interface .. is direct package installed that I could use opening it on files using the right click method from windows ? "open with" / "chosen freeware" = click ! -- Cypher7 ------------------------------------------------------------------------ Cypher7 wrote: > > Trying to make things easier I have a question about the linux desktop > interface The linux desktop interface can be a lot of things, KDE,GNOME, windowmaker to name but a few. > .. is direct packa...

Ubuntu Installs Grub problem
I just installed Ubuntu 9,10 on a usb hard drive via a live cd and it works fine, but when I disconnect the hard drive and reboot the machine into Windows it will not let me get into Windows unless the external hard drive is connected. It used to just boot straight into Windows before. What has happened and what can I do to get it back to normal? Did it install grub on the MBR of the internal Windows hard drive as well as the USB external drive? Not sure how do I find out what happened? Any ideas? Should I contact Ubuntu HQ? Thanks Al On 06/04/10 19:48, aken w...

no install after installing jvm141
i have waited for a few days now to see if anyone would reply to my last response and got nothing so far so i figured i would repost everything in hopes that someone woudl be able to help me, please read below. ============================ In article , wrote: > i cant find the install opption on the GUI to install imanager. i just > updated to the newest jvm and the gui looks totally differnet, and the > start options all changed. any ideas? > What exact NetWare version are you using (including SP)? In theory, you should use the "install" option in ...

Occassional appearance of Install/Install.aspx?mode=Install
Since upgrading to 3.1.1 I am getting the occasional redirection to Install/Install.aspx?mode=Install.  Is anyone else recieving this or does this suggest the installation script didn't complete?Jonathan Palmer Check your web.config and see if install=true.... In a previous version this was happening to me until i turned it off. ...

My experience installing (or attempting to install) Ubuntu
My experience installing Ubuntu: 1) I formatted the HD of an old laptop (Dell Inspiron 7500, whereon W2K had been installed) 2) I download an .iso for Ubuntu (on another machine) 3) I downloaded InfraRecorder 4) I burned the iso onto a CD using InfraRecorder 5) I put the CD in the laptop, and booted up 6) When presented with a list of options, I highlighted "Install Ubuntu" and mashed the Enter key 7) An icon of a lifesaver with three equidistant knobbies pulsated for a good long while. 8) My laptop crashed (pulsating cursor in NW corner of the otherwise black...

Web resources about - grub installation problem when installing over Ubuntu - opensuse.org.help.install

Installation art - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia
Installation art describes an artistic genre of three-dimensional works that are often site-specific and designed to transform the perception ...

Installation Magazine for iPhone 3GS, iPhone 4, iPhone 4S, iPhone 5, iPod touch (3rd generation), iPod ...
Get Installation Magazine on the App Store. See screenshots and ratings, and read customer reviews.

Typical Solar Installation - Flickr - Photo Sharing!
... This is a newly constructed home with near total solar covering. Hi Tim, I have published this nice picture by you, ofa home with solar installation, ...

Adobe pushes scareware with Flash Player installation - YouTube
http://www.zdnet.com/blog/bott/adobes-latest-critical-security-update-pushes-scareware/4681 If you manually install the latest version of Flash ...

Telstra in dispute with customer over costly landline installation
Would you pay $5931.90 for the installation of a landline in a suburban area?