Fresh install of opensuse 11.3 won't start

Hello

I have been trying to setup my first linux box (dual boot with windows
7)for 10 hours now and it seems like I'm cursed.. anyhow:

I downloaded the iso from the webpage and used the live cd option. From
there I chose install and proceeded to install the OS. Everything went
fine and I got a message that the system would need to restart without
the live cd. I saw the chameleon with the white growing line under
(which seemed to run to it's completion) and then I came to a screen
mostly white with three option buttons in the bottom right corner and my
mouse with the waiting symbol spinning in the middle of the screen.
Basicly the symbols stops spinning after a little while and the system
hangs. I have tried starting in fail safe mode and run level 3 with the
same result.

My laptop is a 'MSI GX740' (http://tinyurl.com/37ggru3)

I'm sorry for the weird description, but I'm new to linux so I am
strugglinga bit.

--
torinogut

torinogut
8/20/2010 11:08:21 PM
opensuse.org.help.install 14389 articles. 0 followers. Follow

1) Did you do the media check option of the first menu to assure that
the CD was without error?
2) Did you do the memory test to be sure all the memory is working?
3) read this info about video cards. 'openSUSE Graphic Card Practical
Theory Guide for Users' (http://tinyurl.com/2vsv4rh)

See if you can boot into terminal mode by entering 3 at the boot screen
Log in as root
type
init 5
this will attempt to start the GUI
report any error messages.

--
gogalthorp
gogalthorp's Profile: http://forums.opensuse.org/member.php?userid=37208

0
gogalthorp
8/21/2010 12:36:02 AM
The problem is the nvidia video card.
To get the installation to complete,  reboot and try one of the
following:
At the boot screen, type nomodeset, then enter and see if it boots, or
If this doesn't work, type a 3 at the boot screen and then login as
root.
Now type yast and go to software>repositories and add repository.
Choose community repo and add the nvidia repo.
You can then add the nvidia driver in the install software option in
yast.

Look at this guide:
'openSUSE Graphic Card Practical Theory Guide for Users'
(http://tinyurl.com/2vsv4rh)

(How to ask questions)
whych's Profile: http://forums.opensuse.org/member.php?userid=13593
View this thread: http://forums.opensuse.org/showthread.php?t=444724

0
whych
8/21/2010 12:36:02 AM
The media and the memory was tested ok.

If I try to boot into terminal mode I get to the same point and get
stuck.

--
torinogut
torinogut's Profile: http://forums.opensuse.org/member.php?userid=49431
View this thread: http://forums.opensuse.org/showthread.php?t=444724

0
torinogut
8/22/2010 2:40:22 AM
I tried to reinstall opensuse with the live CD and have the run level 3
as standard. But it gets to the same point and gets stuck, shouldn't
level 3 be text only?

--
torinogut
torinogut's Profile: http://forums.opensuse.org/member.php?userid=49431
View this thread: http://forums.opensuse.org/showthread.php?t=444724

0
torinogut
8/22/2010 2:40:24 AM
I checked the other thread here about every other boot fails. And on a
whim decided to try "nomodeset napic nolapic no=msi" as my boot
parameters.. and POOF I got somewhere at least. The installation process
seems to be completing now, but the screen whited out as I am typing.

Did a hard reboot, started again with the same parameters and got into
run level 3 for the first time! :D Tryed Init 5 and I am inside the GUI
as we speak. Will get some drivers for my hardware and hopefully it will
run smoothly from now.

thanks for the help

--
torinogut
torinogut's Profile: http://forums.opensuse.org/member.php?userid=49431
View this thread: http://forums.opensuse.org/showthread.php?t=444724

0
torinogut
8/22/2010 2:40:24 AM
Well.. I have now installed the correct drivers for my graphics card
(ati-driver-installer-10-7-x86.x86_64.run). And now I get some errors
when I try to go from run level 3 to 5:

gdm[3687]: WARNING: GdmDisplay: display lasted 0.512471 seconds
This happens 6 times then I get a message that the max number of X
display failures has been reached.

Edit: Also when starting up the run level 3 I get: Starting vmtoolsd
FATAL: Module vmmemctl not found.

Failed

Skipped services in runlevel 3: cifs nfs irq_balancer splash

--

torinogut;2209866 Wrote:
> Well.. I have now installed the correct drivers for my graphics card
> (ati-driver-installer-10-7-x86.x86_64.run). And now I get some errors
> when I try to go from run level 3 to 5:
Did you read the 'openSUSE-11.3 release notes '
(http://www.suse.com/relnotes/i386/openSUSE/11.3/RELEASE-NOTES.en.html)
?  Also, have you consulted with this page: 'SDB:Configuring graphics
cards - openSUSE'
(http://en.opensuse.org/SDB:Configuring_graphics_cards) and this page:
'SDB:NVIDIA drivers - openSUSE'
(http://en.opensuse.org//SDB:NVIDIA_drivers) both of which have guidance
as to things to watch out for on openSUSE-11.3.  I'm asking that so we
can understand better what you have attempted in addition to what you
posted.

--
oldcpu
oldcpu's Profile: http://forums.opensuse.org/member.php?userid=77
View this thread: http://forums.opensuse.org/showthread.php?t=444724

0
oldcpu
8/22/2010 2:40:24 AM
At the moment I'm halfway through 'this' (http://tinyurl.com/3yu5wvs)
guide. But I don't know where to put the downloaded file so I can run it
from the terminal under the step "Install / Build rpm"

--
torinogut
torinogut's Profile: http://forums.opensuse.org/member.php?userid=49431
View this thread: http://forums.opensuse.org/showthread.php?t=444724

0
torinogut
8/22/2010 2:40:25 AM
Weird. Becuase my laptop has the ati radeon HD5870m

I have linked the wrong laptop, sorry. Mine is the 'GX740'
(http://tinyurl.com/37gbmlm), not GT740.

Edit:

update of status: I have now reinstalled the opensuse 11.3 and can
login with the boot parameters "nomodeset napic nolapic no=msi". I am
now looking to install my graphics driver correctly with the link in my
the terminal can't find the file. Do I have to put it somewhere special
or specify the directory withing the terminal?

--
torinogut
torinogut's Profile: http://forums.opensuse.org/member.php?userid=49431
View this thread: http://forums.opensuse.org/showthread.php?t=444724

0
torinogut
8/22/2010 2:40:25 AM
I followed this guide instead: 'SDB:ATI_drivers'
(http://en.opensuse.org/SDB:ATI_drivers) with a clean install. And I get
the same problem as last time I installed the driver.

gdm[3186]: WARNING: GdmDisplay: display lasted 0.057811

Edit: A couple of these and then a note saying I reached maximum number
of X display failures.

this is when I boot into run level 3 with "nomodeset napic nolapic
no=msi" and try to start "init 5"

--

torinogut;2209866 Wrote:
> Well.. I have now installed the correct drivers for my graphics card
> (ati-driver-installer-10-7-x86.x86_64.run). And now I get some errors
> when I try to go from run level 3 to 5:
If you look at the link you gave for your noterbook, it uses an nvidia
graphics card.

Code:
--------------------
    • High-end nVIDIA GeForce GTS 250M discrete graphics card (with DDR3 1GB VRAM)
--------------------

You need to install the nvidia driver NOT the ati one!

(How to ask questions)
whych's Profile: http://forums.opensuse.org/member.php?userid=13593
View this thread: http://forums.opensuse.org/showthread.php?t=444724

0
whych
8/22/2010 2:40:25 AM
You need to be in the same place as the ati-driver-installer-XXXXXX.run
file is located.

If you do a *ls* you should see the file in the current directory if
you don't you are in the wrong directory navigate to the place you
downloaded the file.