Clonning hard disk - 'disk by id' problem

Hi,

I had managed to clone old hard disc to a new one - multiboot
WinXP-DOS-Opensuse 11.3 with Acronis. After solving all (perhaps)
problems, I have one question. The last problem - I had to rewrite fstab
file.

Old fstab:
/dev/disk/by-id/ata-ST380811AS_5PS0EVE3-part3 / .....

New fstab:
/dev/sda3                                     /  ...

Perhaps there are more configuration files, that use 'by-id'
identification. Question - Why Open Suse uses 'by-id' identification?
There is a problem when we change hard disk. How can I rewrite all
values with new hard disk id?

Thak you.

--
vldmal

vldmal
11/24/2010 8:36:02 AM
opensuse.org.help.install 14389 articles. 0 followers. Follow

> Why Open Suse uses 'by-id' identification?

It's very reliable, that's why.

Adapting the fstab to the new ID is quite easy actually; just boot via
a live-System, mount the new HD, take a look into /dev/disk/by-id/ for
the new ID and edit your fstab according to it.

--
gropiuskalle
gropiuskalle's Profile: http://forums.opensuse.org/member.php?userid=731

0
gropiuskalle
11/24/2010 8:36:02 AM
or run *blkid* to see UUIDs and use this form in /etc/fstab (example):

Code:
--------------------
    UUID=316bc15c-b355-4857-98e2-3c623651c1c9    /   ......
  etc
--------------------

UUIDs don't change when you duplicate a disk with dd (unlike
disk/by-id) . They only change when you format a partition. Whether you
use the one or the other depend on your configuration. You can also
instruct YaST to mount by UUIDs at installation time in the 'mounted' or
'fstab' options (i don't remember how it is called exactly).

--
-H�tez-vous lentement, et sans perdre courage,
Vingt fois sur le m�tier remettez votre ouvrage.-
View this thread: http://forums.opensuse.org/showthread.php?t=450292

0
please
11/24/2010 8:36:02 AM
Thank you. I used Yast - Hardware Identifacitation, I found HD id,
edited fstab and it works. I used to have problems with multiboot
systems. When something failed, I had to reinstall Windows and then
Linux on Windows.
Now I found a way how to repair grub. The last question - on old HD I
had bootloader on Linux root partition, now I changed it to MBR (advice
from forum - how to bouild a new Grub loader). What is better? Thanks
and I am sorry for my English.

--
vldmal
vldmal's Profile: http://forums.opensuse.org/member.php?userid=49202
View this thread: http://forums.opensuse.org/showthread.php?t=450292

0
vldmal
11/24/2010 9:36:01 AM
> Thank you. I used Yast - Hardware Identifacitation, I found HD id,
> edited fstab and it works. I used to have problems with multiboot
> systems. When something failed, I had to reinstall Windows and then
> Linux on Windows.
> Now I found a way how to repair grub. The last question - on old HD I
> had bootloader on Linux root partition, now I changed it to MBR (advice
> from forum - how to bouild a new Grub loader). What is better? Thanks
> and I am sorry for my English.                 What is better, Loading Grub boot loader into your MBR (Master Boot
Record) or installing Grub into one of the four Primary Partitions?
This might be a matter of preference perhaps more than anything.

However, I prefer to load the Grub boot loader in to the openSUSE main
software "/" partition and to leave the MBR as generic booting code.  I
do this because my systems are typically dual boot between Windows and
openSUSE.  If for any reason openSUSE fails to load OR if I need to
upgrade or load a service pack into Windows, I merely boot from a disk
like Gparted, change the Active booting Partition to Windows and Windows
works as per normal.

If you do not dual boot with Windows, have many partitions (more than
four), use more than one version of Linux or have a really old PC BIOS,
you may be better served by loading the Grub boot loader into the MBR.

Thank You,

--
Remember that little in Life is certain, including any advice you may
get from me, you poor soul, but at least I am trying to help.

:)Its James again from Austin Texas (openSUSE 11.3, KDE 4.4.4, Kernel
2.6.37-rc3 64 Bit)
jdmcdaniel3's Profile: http://forums.opensuse.org/member.php?userid=43440
View this thread: http://forums.opensuse.org/showthread.php?t=450292

0
jdmcdaniel3

--------------------

> UUIDs don't change when you duplicate a disk with dd (unlike
> disk/by-id) . They only change when you format a partition. Whether
> you use the one or the other depend on your configuration. You can
> also instruct YaST to mount by UUIDs at installation time in the
> 'mounted' or 'fstab' options (i don't remember how it is called
> exactly).
This is why I enjoy the OpenSuSe (and Ubuntu) community and their
forums.   Wonderful new commands (sudo blkid) and solutions.

Thanks to everyone.

--
Box 1: OpenSuse 11.1/Win7 | Linux 2.6.27 Gnome | AMD 64 X2 6000+ |
nVidia 8600GT | 2GB RAM
| 1GB RAM
Box 3: Win7 Premium Home | Intel P4 3.0Gz | ATI AIW 2006 | 2GB RAM
tararpharazon's Profile: http://forums.opensuse.org/member.php?userid=47390
View this thread: http://forums.opensuse.org/showthread.php?t=450292

0
tararpharazon
11/24/2010 7:06:03 PM
*IIRC*, I've had the opposite action using MBR.  When the Linux
partition can't boot the system automatically boots to Windows.

Anyone reading this thread have experience losing a Linux partition?

Grub written to partition  boots what?
Grub written to MBR boots what ?

--
Box 1: OpenSuse 11.1/Win7 | Linux 2.6.27 Gnome | AMD 64 X2 6000+ |
nVidia 8600GT | 2GB RAM
Box 2: OpenSuse 11.2 | Linux 2.6.31 Gnome | AMD 64 3000+ | ATI X800 Pro
| 1GB RAM
Box 3: Win7 Premium Home | Intel P4 3.0Gz | ATI AIW 2006 | 2GB RAM
tararpharazon's Profile: http://forums.opensuse.org/member.php?userid=47390
View this thread: http://forums.opensuse.org/showthread.php?t=450292

0
tararpharazon
11/24/2010 7:36:02 PM
On 2010-11-24 09:36, please try again wrote:

> or run *blkid* to see UUIDs and use this form in /etc/fstab (example):
>

> Code:
> --------------------
>     UUID=316bc15c-b355-4857-98e2-3c623651c1c9    /   ......
>   etc
> --------------------
>

> UUIDs don't change when you duplicate a disk with dd (unlike
> disk/by-id) . They only change when you format a partition. Whether you
> use the one or the other depend on your configuration. You can also
> instruct YaST to mount by UUIDs at installation time in the 'mounted' or
> 'fstab' options (i don't remember how it is called exactly).

You can use Labels instead of UUIDs. They are normally created when a
partition is formatted, and you choose them - I find easier to know what
"disk1_boot" is than the rigmarole of letters and numbers above :-)

--
Cheers / Saludos,

		Carlos E. R.
		(from 11.2 x86_64 "Emerald" at Telcontar)
0
Carlos
11/24/2010 8:03:06 PM
> *IIRC*, I've had the opposite action using MBR.  When the Linux
> partition can't boot the system automatically boots to Windows.
>
> Anyone reading this thread have experience losing a Linux partition?
>
> Grub written to partition  boots what?
> Grub written to MBR boots what ?                 tararpharazon, when grub is loaded into the MBR and the partition where
the rest of it is loaded, most often the openSUSE partition fails, you
do not boot into anywhere per say, depending on what is wrong and
changing the active partition to Windows does not fix the problem in the
short run.  If grub is loaded into the openSUSE partition and fails, you
still do not boot, but the error is different, you get no operating
system error from your BIOS.  A simple change of the Active partition
allows Windows to boot.   Further, if you decide you need to load a
Windows service pack, you put Windows as active, load the SP, then put
openSUSE back as the active partition.

Now when something goes bad and you can not boot, no matter what your
configuration, depending on the type of error, you will still need to
take some sort of action.  The problem is replacing the Master Boot
Record with Generic booting code (So you can boot Windows without Grub),
when you stuck grub in there first.  There is no straight forward
approach to fix this problem in Linux.  So, I suggest you do not do it
(load Grub into the MBR) in the first place and then this is one problem
you don't have to fix, ever.  No installation of openSUSE really
requires this (put grub in the MBR) if the openSUSE installation is done
right.  By right we mean, loading a booting version of grub into the
active Primary Partition numbered 1, 2 3 or 4 only.

Thank You,

--
Remember that little in Life is certain, including any advice you may
get from me, you poor soul, but at least I am trying to help.

:)Its James again from Austin Texas (openSUSE 11.3, KDE 4.4.4, Kernel
2.6.37-rc3 64 Bit)
jdmcdaniel3's Profile: http://forums.opensuse.org/member.php?userid=43440
View this thread: http://forums.opensuse.org/showthread.php?t=450292

0
jdmcdaniel3
11/24/2010 11:06:02 PM
Good you got it working. I use a LiveCD in these cases.

--
- Athlon X2 6.0 GHz, 8 GB, 30 GB SSD, 1.5 TB, 9800GT, 11.2 + KDE4 4.4
- ASUS K70IO laptop, GT120M-1GB, 4 GB, 64 GB SSD, 11.3 + KDE4 4.5

ANYTHING THAT CAN GO WRONG.... WILL TEACH US

http://en.opensuse.org/User:Knurpht
Knurpht's Profile: http://forums.opensuse.org/member.php?userid=783
View this thread: http://forums.opensuse.org/showthread.php?t=450292

0
Knurpht
11/25/2010 12:36:01 PM
I am not a linux expert, I use it only at home. I am learning basic
skills. After the cloning problems I found this link - it was the best
manual I could find so far:

'HowTo Boot into openSUSE when it won't Boot from the Grub Code on the
Hard Drive' (http://opensuse.swerdna.org/susebootfive.html)

It worked, the last part is:
"APPENDIX: Installing a brand new bootloader once you've booted into
openSUSE
Well the major hurdle has been cleared. Now you (probably) just need a
brand new bootloader to overwrite everything and hopefully that will fix
the underlying problem.

Go to Yast --> System --> Boot Loader. The Grub configuration screen
comes up with the Tab "Section Management" activated. In the lower right
is a drop-down selector labelled "Other". Select from "Other" the option
"Propose New Configuration" and then wait for Grub to analyse your
partitions and display a new configuration. This may take a while.
Important: When that finishes, activate the tab labelled "Boot Loader
Installation" and select to "Boot from the Master Boot Record". [Yast
will often default to booting from the root or boot partition rather
than from the MBR but that's for experts only -- *always choose the
MBR.*] Then click Finish to save the changes and install the
reconfigured Grub into the hard drive's MBR."

There is "Always choose the MBR...", that was reason why I asked this
question. I obeyed this advice and now I have bootloader in the MBR not
"root".
Thanks for helping me to learn linux.

--
vldmal
vldmal's Profile: http://forums.opensuse.org/member.php?userid=49202
View this thread: http://forums.opensuse.org/showthread.php?t=450292

0
vldmal
11/25/2010 12:36:01 PM
> I am not a linux expert, I use it only at home. I am learning basic
> skills. After the cloning problems I found this link - it was the best
> manual I could find so far:
>
> 'HowTo Boot into openSUSE when it won't Boot from the Grub Code on the
> Hard Drive' (http://opensuse.swerdna.org/susebootfive.html)
>
> It worked, the last part is:
> "APPENDIX: Installing a brand new bootloader once you've booted into
> openSUSE
> Well the major hurdle has been cleared. Now you (probably) just need a
> brand new bootloader to overwrite everything and hopefully that will fix
> the underlying problem.
>
> Go to Yast --> System --> Boot Loader. The Grub configuration  screen
> comes up with the Tab "Section Management" activated. In the  lower
> right is a drop-down selector labelled "Other". Select from  "Other" the
> option "Propose New Configuration" and then wait for Grub to  analyse
> your partitions and display a new configuration. This may take a  while.
> Important: When that finishes, activate the tab labelled "Boot  Loader
> Installation" and select to "Boot from the Master Boot Record".  [Yast
> will often default to booting from the root or boot partition  rather
> than from the MBR but that's for experts only -- *always choose the
> MBR.*] Then click Finish to save the changes and install the
> reconfigured Grub into the hard drive's MBR."
>
> There is "Always choose the MBR...", that was reason why I asked this
> question. I obeyed this advice and now I have bootloader in the MBR not
> "root".
> Thanks for helping me to learn linux.                 Personally, such advise is simply the opinion of the writer and as I
said before, it comes down to preference.  However, dual boot computers
with Windows  should reconsider any such recommendation to place grub
into the MBR.

Thank You,

--
Remember that little in Life is certain, including any advice you may
get from me, you poor soul, but at least I am trying to help.

:)Its James again from Austin Texas (openSUSE 11.3, KDE 4.4.4, Kernel
2.6.37-rc3 64 Bit)
jdmcdaniel3's Profile: http://forums.opensuse.org/member.php?userid=43440
View this thread: http://forums.opensuse.org/showthread.php?t=450292

0
jdmcdaniel3
11/25/2010 5:06:02 PM
jdmcdaniel3;2257713 Wrote:
> Personally, such advise is simply the opinion of the writer and as I
> said before, it comes down to preference.  However, dual boot computers
> with Windows  should reconsider any such recommendation to place grub
> into the MBR.
>
> Thank You,  Glad you said it come down to preference.  Even when Grub is loaded to
MBR it's far easier for me to Fdisk /MBR   to boot Windows than setting
partitions active that may or may not boot.     Also, Grub still has to
write something to MBR to tell the BIOS to finish booting using boot
code on partition X.

Happy Thanksgiving

--
Box 1: OpenSuse 11.1/Win7 | Linux 2.6.27 Gnome | AMD 64 X2 6000+ |
nVidia 8600GT | 2GB RAM
Box 2: OpenSuse 11.2 | Linux 2.6.31 Gnome | AMD 64 3000+ | ATI X800 Pro
| 1GB RAM
Box 3: Win7 Premium Home | Intel P4 3.0Gz | ATI AIW 2006 | 2GB RAM
tararpharazon's Profile: http://forums.opensuse.org/member.php?userid=47390
View this thread: http://forums.opensuse.org/showthread.php?t=450292

0
tararpharazon
11/25/2010 5:36:02 PM
On 2010-11-25 18:36, tararpharazon wrote:

>     Also, Grub still has to
> write something to MBR to tell the BIOS to finish booting using boot
> code on partition X.

No.

If grub is in the MBR, there "something" in the MBR, that is, there is grub
(stage 1).

If grub is not in the mbr, then there is nothing from grub in the mbr to
tell the system to boot from one or another partition.

What is "written" is the bit that tells which partition is bootable in the
partition table. The MBR then is "standard" (fdisk /mbr).

--
Cheers / Saludos,

		Carlos E. R.
		(from 11.2 x86_64 "Emerald" at Telcontar)
0
Carlos

--
Box 1: OpenSuse 11.1/Win7 | Linux 2.6.27 Gnome | AMD 64 X2 6000+ |
nVidia 8600GT | 2GB RAM
Box 2: OpenSuse 11.2 | Linux 2.6.31 Gnome | AMD 64 3000+ | ATI X800 Pro
| 1GB RAM
Box 3: Win7 Premium Home | Intel P4 3.0Gz | ATI AIW 2006 | 2GB RAM
tararpharazon's Profile: http://forums.opensuse.org/member.php?userid=47390
View this thread: http://forums.opensuse.org/showthread.php?t=450292

0
tararpharazon
11/25/2010 10:06:02 PM
vldmal;2257104 Wrote:
> Hi,
>
> I had managed to clone old hard disc to a new one - multiboot
> WinXP-DOS-Opensuse 11.3 with Acronis. After solving all (perhaps)
> problems, I have one question. The last problem - I had to rewrite fstab
> file.
>
> Old fstab:
> /dev/disk/by-id/ata-ST380811AS_5PS0EVE3-part3 / .....
>
> New fstab:
> /dev/sda3                                     /  ...
>
> Perhaps there are more configuration files, that use 'by-id'
> identification. Question - Why Open Suse uses 'by-id' identification?
> There is a problem when we change hard disk. How can I rewrite all
> values with new hard disk id?
>
> Thak you.

I Changed fstab file... and i worked! thanks!

--
khenryscorpio
khenryscorpio's Profile: http://forums.opensuse.org/member.php?userid=56851
View this thread: http://forums.opensuse.org/showthread.php?t=450292

0
khenryscorpio

Help adding large hard disk
Help, My last threat is in February 6. I added all the patches to the system, then "blew away" the Netware partition, leaving the DOS partition. I then ran install from the Netware 4.1 install disk. All ran great until the install program asks about whether want a manual or automatic installation of the HD. At this point, the machine just freezes up. Nothing happens, HD light not red, nada, nothing, zip, zippo. Tried both manual and automatic installations. Same result. Freezes at Netware Server Insatllation 4.1 screen. No options visible. Thanks Al...

Problem installing Hard disk
Hello: I have a network with a Principal netware server with Intranetware 4.11 at U.S. I�m in Mexico with a secondary server 4.11 intranetware. The companies were separeted and the leased line was cut. Here in Mexico I have a secondary server but I don�t know the admin password. In my server I have 2 hard disk drives ; one with SYS volume and the otherone with VOL1 volume. The one with VOL1 volume was damaged I want to change it. If I install the new HD with the same name (VOL1) I can do it, but I can�t access it from the workstations. If I install the new HD with different name ...

Installing SUSE 11.4 64 bit on External Hard Disk to Replace 11.2 64 bit on Internal Hard Disk
I have a Dell Dimension C521 (AMD AthlonX2) with a 160 GB internal HDD and 3 GB RAM. The system has dual iboot for Windows Vista Home Premium and SUSE 11.2 64 bit. Recently I added an external Hard Disk (Seagate GoFlex ITB capacity). I wish to uninstall the 11.2 and install 11.4 on the external drive. There are additional instructions for installing 11.4 on an external disk. a) Will it be possible to uninstall the 11.2 as 11.4 is being installed, leaving the space on the internal disk free for re-allocation to Windows, b) Or should I first uninstall 11.2 repair the Windows ...

suse hard disk installation problem
i decided to install suse via hard-disk but i failed.i mounted the image and successfully enter the desktop to install it .with everything installed ,the configuration completed(also the GRUB installed),it required reboot with a note appeared don`t take the cd away.and i reallized i must have been in trouble `coz i`d no chance to mount the cd image to a mount point it said that error:missing os i`d appreciate it if u could provide a solution here. -- snoopyflex ------------------------------------------------------------------------ Sorry, but we need a better descripti...

problem installing from usb hard disk
I tried to install opensuse 11.1 from a repository located on an external usb So I booted with network installation cd, I choosed hard disk and I pointed to the directory containing the repo, i.e. /suse11.1/repo/oss, leaving empty the hard disk box The installation succesfully starts, the 6 pieces of the installer are "downloaded" succesfully, but when yast starts the mounted usb hard disk disappears. The installation program says that /dev/sdc1 (the usb disk) is already mounted OR the directory /var/adm/mount/... is busy. If I abort the installation and go back to the tex...

After installing 11.4 on external hard disk, no booting from primary disk
Hello, I have a laptop, with Suse 11.4 installed and Windows 7, on hda. Now I got an external hard drive (hdc), and I installed also Suse 11.4 there (hdc1 - hdc3); there was an initial question about it: 'How can I install a new *independent* Suse 11.4 on a second hard disk? (swap problem) - Page 2' (http://tinyurl.com/3aw2fcb) but that is likely no longer relevant. The installation process installed the boot-loader on hda. So well, seemed necessary to me (though I would have preferred not to mess at all with hda; see below for further comments). Summarising the boot...

external usb disk shows disk, disk-1, disk-2, disk-3, disk-4
Hello all, I am new to linux. I am running openSUSE 11.1 (i586) and I have a maxtor external usb drive attached. I used the backup utility in suse to create a backup job that would copy files to my external hard drive. The problem is that when I disconnect the usb drive or reboot the machine sometimes the drive shows up as a different name. e.g. It first showed up as disk, then disk-1, then disk-2, then disk-3, and now disk-4. This is a problem because the backup utility doesn't know that the drive name changed. I had to update the back-up software to say to write to dr...

Help me I am installing adaptec 160m and SCSI Hard Disk Seagate
I am installing a adaptec 160 and One hard disk IBM and momento to load the module say me this: load c:\nwserver\adpt160m.ham (I try with slot =2 that is where the board is) Modulo de carga ADPT160M.ham Adaptec Ultra 160 Driver for Netware 4&5 Ver 14.30 Ago 9, 2000 Modulo de carga automatica NWPALOAD.NLM Netware 3.x/4.X NWPA Load Utility Ver 1.50 Julio 22, 1998 Server 4.11-1553: Fallo la inicializacion del modulo El modulo ADPT160M.HAM no se ha cargado ---------------------------------------------------- The server is 4.11 and I download NW4SP9.exe and I copy the...

How can I install a new *independent* Suse 11.4 on a second hard disk? (swap problem)
Hello, today I got my 2TB external hard disk. I've formated it with ext4. Now I want to install Suse 11.4 on it --- without any connection (whatsoever) to the hard disk on the laptop (sda versus sdc). Okay, I use the Suse installation DVD and get to the partition task (I started using Linux with Suse 6.2, and I think that aspect of the installation has not improved since then --- arcane as ever). I specify that I want to use the whole sdc (1.82TiB) for the installation. First the system makes the bad proposal to use just 20GB for the root partition. Following this bad...

InterBase 7 logs "invalid pool id" until hard disk is full
Hello, yesterday our InterBase server ran out of disk capacity, when the server interbase.log file grew because of many messages like the following IBSQL-B (Server) Mon Dec 02 00:16:53 2013 Database: path-to-database.gdb internal gds software consistency check (invalid pool id encountered (153), file: all.c line: 1359) What does "invalid pool id encountered" mean, is this a database corruption? (gfix did not show errors) Many thanks in advance, Michael Justin Michael Justin wrote: > Hello, > > yesterday our InterBase server ran out of disk capacity, whe...

Hard Disk Problem
Sorry if this has been covered in previous posts, but I just can't seem to get them after deleting the grc.spinrite newsgroup and re-installing it. All the other GRC newsgroups are there.. I am thinking of buying Spinrite after a recent problem with a hard disk. It is a 260 MB Maxtor ATA / 133 HDD. I installed two versions of WindowsXP on it, one in French, and the second in English. That was kind of an accident as I used the OEM (Fujitsu) disk to re-format and install a fresh copy WindowsXP, but when I realised it was in French, I took a WindowsXP upgrade disk (in Engli...

Hard disk problems...
Hi all I've messed up big time... had an harddisk with som bad sectors... used dd to dump /dev/hda4 which is a LVM group with a single reiser volume. attached the dumpfile with the loop-driver, and repaired with following commands: - reiserfsck --rebuild-sb - reiserfsck --rebuild-tree -S - reiserfsck --check And everything seemed ok... After this, I use the vgimport to import the LVM group - with succes... but when I'm trying to mount the reiser volume I'm told that it's a unsorted action... In the same procedure, I meant to mount the original volu...

Hard disk install
My machine doesn't have a dvd drive. Still, i downloaded the OSuse 11.0 DVD and tried to install thought the Hard Disk install. I've copied the contents of the DVD to a partition (ntfs partition). Then, at the HDD install, i've passed the path of the directory that contains the dvd content. The installer recognizes it, loads some things, and bam, some strange error on LinuxRC occurs (error on 0x000..00). Tried some times, same thing. Anyone has an advice or can lend me a hand? ;) Thanks, Leo. -- Darknessmonk ------------------------------------------------------...

Hard disk problem
Hi there, I have openSUSE 11.2 x64 running on a Dell Inspiron 1720. I have a primary disk (160GB, contains Win Vista & openSUSE system), and a secondary disk (250GB, contains /home). Yesterday when I try to boot openSUSE it got to the login screen in X, but despite looking normal the keyboard & mouse do not respond, so I cannot login to KDE. So I booted Windows to google about the problem, and notice that ext2IFS could not read the /home disk/partition. I have tried several times to boot Linux, but always the same symptom occurs. 2 times when I booted Windows the disk ca...

DISK init & disk partion problems ?
Each time I attempt a disk init on a RAW device; the disk partition configuration defaults back to "original" disk partition configuration. I have a 9 GB disk with which the "UNIX Admin" used the format command to change the partitioning from Part Tag Flag Cylinders Size Blocks 0 root wm 0 - 73 129.75MB (74/0/0) 265734 1 swap wu 74 - 147 129.75MB (74/0/0) 265734 2 backup wu 0 - 4923 8.43GB (4924/0/0) 17682084 3 unassigned wm 0 ...

Web resources about - Clonning hard disk - 'disk by id' problem - opensuse.org.help.install