Can't install opensuse 12.1 from DVD, installer can't find DVD devices?

Hi,

I have an HP pavilion dv7 laptop (3 years old) with Windows and Linux
mint in a dual boot mode, and I wanted to install opensuse 12.1 from a
DVD over my mint partition.

When I boot with the 64bit KDE live CD in my DVD I can get to the menu
where I can choose to try the live session or install.
If I choose either, I see the linux kernel loading successfuly, then a
green screen with opensuse logo, and after about 10 seconds the screen
becomes a black text screen, and I see an error message saying that my
DVD device wasn't found, and that the system is restarting in 120
seconds.
I tried alt+f3, alt+f4 but it didn't make much sense to me. I think saw
something about MBR not being found.

My laptop doesn't have any issues (DVD works perfect). what could be
causing this? should I just try to re-burn the installer on another
DVD?
I managed to install Linux Mint with a live CD just two days ago, but I
really prefer opensuse :)

Thanks!

--
orosen

orosen
12/11/2011 6:56:03 AM
opensuse.org.help.install 14389 articles. 0 followers. Follow

Did you run the media check?
http://dl.dropbox.com/u/10573557/12.1_install/01_bootsplash.jpg

--
Box: 12.1 | KDE 4.7.2 | AMD 64 X2 5200+ | nVidia 8500GT | 4GB RAM
Lap #1: 12.1 | Duo T4300 | KDE4.7.2 | Intel M4 Graphics | Lenovo G550 |

0
caf4926
12/11/2011 6:56:03 AM
Thanks for the quick reply!

Haven't tried it. I'll do as soon as I get back from work.

--
orosen
orosen's Profile: http://forums.opensuse.org/member.php?userid=53894
View this thread: http://forums.opensuse.org/showthread.php?t=469559

0
orosen
12/11/2011 7:46:02 AM
I tried the media check, but it failed to start exactly like when I
choose to install or try the live CD.
I took a picture of the error message, and the output of alt+f3,alt+f4,
but it seems like I can't inset attachments here.

the error message basically says that its checking for CD/DVD devices
and not finding them.
Then it says "couldn't find live image configuration file", and it
gives a rebootException.

--
orosen
orosen's Profile: http://forums.opensuse.org/member.php?userid=53894
View this thread: http://forums.opensuse.org/showthread.php?t=469559

0
orosen
12/11/2011 11:16:02 AM
You could try this
http://tinyurl.com/2a9ewy8

Can you use another machine to do the media check?
Or
http://tinyurl.com/6qmn45a

--
Box: 12.1 | KDE 4.7.2 | AMD 64 X2 5200+ | nVidia 8500GT | 4GB RAM
Lap #1: 12.1 | Duo T4300 | KDE4.7.2 | Intel M4 Graphics | Lenovo G550 |
3GB RAM
Lap#2: 12.1  | KDE 4.7.2 | Celeron 550 | Intel 965GM | Lenovo R61 |
*+EeePC | 12.1 | KDE*
'My_Guides' (http://tinyurl.com/6cabu2j)
caf4926's Profile: http://forums.opensuse.org/member.php?userid=204
View this thread: http://forums.opensuse.org/showthread.php?t=469559

0
caf4926
12/11/2011 11:46:04 AM
I have another HP laptop similar to my own, the live CD works there
perfectly.
I'm starting to think the problem is related to my linux mint
installation and grub2. Is that possible?

I'll give the text installation a shot.

--
orosen
orosen's Profile: http://forums.opensuse.org/member.php?userid=53894
View this thread: http://forums.opensuse.org/showthread.php?t=469559

0
orosen
12/11/2011 1:46:03 PM
> I'm starting to think the problem is related to my linux mint
> installation and grub2. Is that possible?
> No. I doubt it very much.

It's more likely hardware related.

If text mode doesn't get you there. Then 12.1 might not be for this
machine.

--
Box: 12.1 | KDE 4.7.2 | AMD 64 X2 5200+ | nVidia 8500GT | 4GB RAM
Lap #1: 12.1 | Duo T4300 | KDE4.7.2 | Intel M4 Graphics | Lenovo G550 |
3GB RAM
Lap#2: 12.1  | KDE 4.7.2 | Celeron 550 | Intel 965GM | Lenovo R61 |
*+EeePC | 12.1 | KDE*
'My_Guides' (http://tinyurl.com/6cabu2j)
caf4926's Profile: http://forums.opensuse.org/member.php?userid=204
View this thread: http://forums.opensuse.org/showthread.php?t=469559

0
caf4926
12/11/2011 5:26:02 PM
Well, I couldn't get around the DVD issue.
In the end I managed to install opensuse 12.1 from a USB, and it works
perfectly (even DVD is recognized).

Odd, but I don't mind since I got it to work. Next time I'll try the
USB first, it's much faster than a DVD install!
Thanks for the help.

--
orosen
orosen's Profile: http://forums.opensuse.org/member.php?userid=53894
View this thread: http://forums.opensuse.org/showthread.php?t=469559

0
orosen
12/12/2011 2:46:02 PM
It may very well be the drive in the laptop. Mine works on and off.
Sometimes I can even burn data to disk, but most of the time I'm getting
errors like you have when booting from it,

--
- Athlon X6 3.6 GHz, 16 GB DDR3, 30 GB SSD, 3 TB of disks, GT540,
openSUSE 11.3 x86_64 + KDE 4.7 + GNOME 3

ANYTHING THAT CAN GO WRONG.... WILL TEACH US

http://en.opensuse.org/User:Knurpht
http://nl.opensuse.org/Gebruiker:Knurpht
Knurpht's Profile: http://forums.opensuse.org/member.php?userid=783
View this thread: http://forums.opensuse.org/showthread.php?t=469559

0
Knurpht
12/12/2011 3:06:03 PM
Good to hear of your success

--
Box: 12.1 | KDE 4.7.2 | AMD 64 X2 5200+ | nVidia 8500GT | 4GB RAM
Lap #1: 12.1 | Duo T4300 | KDE4.7.2 | Intel M4 Graphics | Lenovo G550 |
3GB RAM
Lap#2: 12.1  | KDE 4.7.2 | Celeron 550 | Intel 965GM | Lenovo R61 |
*+EeePC | 12.1 | KDE*
'My_Guides' (http://tinyurl.com/6cabu2j)
caf4926's Profile: http://forums.opensuse.org/member.php?userid=204
View this thread: http://forums.opensuse.org/showthread.php?t=469559

0
caf4926

'can't find source media' during 11.3 install although does boot the iso dvd..?
Greets: I spent some hours trying to find info about my problem but couldn't. Soo..here's my problem. I'm trying to install 11.3. The iso install DVD boots up ok, says 'welcome' in far more languages than I understand, I select English & US English then all useful progress stops. It suddenly can't detect my CD/DVD (although it DID when the system booted with the CD/DVD drive selected as 1st device to try to boot). I've tried pushing the button to eject and reload the DVD, no dice. Nothing seems to work, when I finally go for shutdown it suggests I ...

can't install amsn, suse dont't install tcl scripting langua
Hi all i recently installed opensuse 11.1 i586, and i need to install amsn here, but i got a error when installing, it says that needs the TCL Scripting Language, i typed "tcl" on yast and i found the files needed, i check the files on software management, and i click accept, it asks for the opensuse cd, but i only have the dvd install, i put it on the dvd rom, but i get a error message "failed to mount /dev/srO ...." :( i dont understand whats going on. EDIT: I think i posted in the wrong section, sorry i didnt find any other that matchs my problem PS: so...

cpan>install NET::SSH ----> Can't install NET::SSH don't know what it is?
Good day! This is the first time I'll be using the cpan to install modules. I run: perl -MCPAN -e shell and answer the questions one by one. When its done, I issued install NET::SSH at the cpan> prompt and I got the message: Can't install NET::SSH Don't know what it is. Question: How will I make cpan> know what NET::SSH is? Is there something I have to update first? How can I search for some useful modules using cpan> rather than using cpan search in www.cpan.org? What is auto bundle? And what does 'cpan -a' does? When I ran it, I can some...

Can't Update CPAN, Can't Install DBD::mysql
I upgraded to Lion. I have pre-existing Perl modules that I had installed, but I hadn't yet installed DBD::mysql. When I try to install DBD::mysql, I get this: Checking if your kit is complete... Looks good Using DBI 1.615 (for perl 5.012003 on darwin-thread-multi-2level) installed in /System/Library/Perl/Extras/5.12/darwin-thread-multi-2level/auto/DBI/ Writing Makefile for DBD::mysql Can't exec "/usr/bin/make": No such file or directory at /System/Library/Perl/5.12/CPAN/Distribution.pm line 2026. CAPTTOFU/DBD-mysql-4.020.tar.gz /usr/bin/make -- NOT...

Can't install version 2.0 besides 1.1: dotnetfx.exe will only install 1.1
Hi,  I'm trying to install version 2.0 beside version 1.1 on a Win2000 server. First I download the correct version of dotnetfx.exe (for version 2.0), but when I run this, I'm asked if I want to install version 1.1 (which is already present). It does not help to uninstall 1.1 first, I'm still prompted to install 1.1, even if dotnetfx.exe is the one for version 2.0! Could this be due to any settings on the server?     RGDS a newbe...  Check carefully for every copy of DOTNETFX.COM on the machine (check every folder including system ones), and rename the...

Re: Can't Update CPAN, Can't Install DBD::mysql
Good morning, On 28/09/11 at 3:59 PM -0400, Lola Lee Beno <lola@his.com> wrote: >That's what I was afraid of. Apparently a previous install of=20 >make got blown away. In the process of downloading XCode from=20 >App Store (uggggh) . . . I had to install Xcode twice (not download, just install twice).=20 And I seem to recall some reports from others saying the same=20 thing. Installing twice also fixed borked xcode for a colleague.=20 I never bothered to find out why that fixed things; just=20 proceeded and kept working. Charlie --=20 =E1=8F=8A C...

Can't install grub/lilo, can't restor windows boot
Hi I tried to install opensuse 11 yesterday. But it couldn't install GRUB. It says - *disk doesn't exist* I cancelled the installation and now I cannot even access my windows (fixmbr and fixboot don't help) Please help! -- greg606 ------------------------------------------------------------------------ Well, In some cases (especially when using recovery boot) grub reports installation problems. But this is the first time somebody reports fixmbr problems. 1/ I would consider using windows disk to load emergency console to try to access windows disk. If...

Install help-Can't Boot from DVD
I have an older PC. it will only boot from CD, not from the DVD. I installed from the live CD, but now want to have a full install of 11.2, and the machine has no internet access. I have burned the iso of 11.2 to a dvd, but how shall I get it to install? There is an .exe file on the dvd, but (obviously??) the os thinks that it is an archive file. Please help. ND -- NDcfd ------------------------------------------------------------------------ Can you boot from USB, unetbootin is a handy tool to create a bootable usb device from an iso. If not, you should just p...

Can't install Email-Send & Can't access Bugzilla in Browser
Hi All I am facing this problem for many days now and actually am stuck at this point can somebody please help me in resolving this (platform is Windows Server 2003, perl 5.8.8, Apache 2.2.4) 1) When I runchecksetup.pl command it give me error that Email Send and Emil MIME Modifier are not installed ..... I followed the instructions and run the commands but am unable to install these two C:\Bugzilla\bugzilla-3.0>ppm install Email-Send Downloading ActiveState Package Repository packlist...not modified Downloading theory58S packlist...redirect Downloading theory58S packlist...

Can't Install XE2 help From Web Installer
Keeps giving me the following error: "Unable to load Plug-in library. Please rebuild your project and make sure all required plugins are installed." The main install worked fine - just can't get the help to install. > {quote:title=Nigel Tavendale wrote:}{quote} > Keeps giving me the following error: > > "Unable to load Plug-in library. Please rebuild your project and make sure all required plugins are installed." > > The main install worked fine - just can't get the help to install. I can't get anything install at all with the s...

Installation issue
I get this error while installing the Visual web developer 2005 express edition beta-component. Anybody else had this? Read the read me file, see if you have installed everything that is required./Fredrik Normén - fredrikn @ twitterMicrosoft MVP, MCSD, MCAD, MCTASPInsidersMy Blog Thanks for your answer but it didn't solve the problem....

11.2 install can't find dvd repository
greetings all downloaded 11.2 64bit burned the iso tried to install works fine, until it probes for the repositories, but cannot find them tried on two machines with three different dvd drives any suggestions, the gui-guy theo -- gateway t1616 laptop -- amd turion64x2 processor -- ati radeon x1200 graphics -- realtek eth0/wlan0 cards opensuse 11.1 -- Linux 2.6.27.29-0.1-default x86_64 -- KDE 4.2.4 (KDE 4.2.4) "release 2" ------------------------------------------------------------------------ It should automatically find them, unless you change the 'In...

Web resources about - Can't install opensuse 12.1 from DVD, installer can't find DVD devices? - opensuse.org.help.install