Can't install grub/lilo, can't restor windows boot

Hi I tried to install opensuse 11 yesterday.
But it couldn't install GRUB. It says - *disk  doesn't exist*
I cancelled the installation and now I cannot even access my windows
(fixmbr and fixboot don't help)

Please help!

--
greg606

greg606
8/19/2008 6:46:04 AM
opensuse.org.help.install 14389 articles. 0 followers. Follow

Well,
In some cases (especially when using recovery boot) grub reports
installation problems. But this is the first time somebody reports
fixmbr problems.
1/ I would consider using windows disk to load emergency console to try
to access windows disk. If you can not view the content of your windows
disk perhaps you harddrive somehow got disconnected. Try checking the
cable.
2/ Are you sure that you have installed linux on different partition
from windows. Because if you just used the defaults it might happen
that you do not have a windows partition any more.

SDA

--
genesup
genesup's Profile: http://forums.opensuse.org/member.php?userid=2134

0
genesup
8/19/2008 8:46:02 AM
I CAN view my windows content, it can even log on to it (using
installation disk)
And YES, totally different partitions...
The problem still exists: problem with installing grub

--
greg606
greg606's Profile: http://forums.opensuse.org/member.php?userid=8689
View this thread: http://forums.opensuse.org/showthread.php?t=393110

0
greg606
8/19/2008 9:16:03 AM
Full DVD (although it installed only 1GB from 4GB DVD) _64

--
greg606
greg606's Profile: http://forums.opensuse.org/member.php?userid=8689
View this thread: http://forums.opensuse.org/showthread.php?t=393110

0
greg606
8/19/2008 1:16:03 PM
I suspect the active flag has been moved off the windows partition
during the aborted installation. Windows' bootloader can't find windows
if the active flag has shifted. Let's try to get it back in place. What
were you installing Suse with? The full install DVD or one of the live
CDs?

--
'Come visit sometime'
(http://www.swerdna.net.au/linux.html)
View this thread: http://forums.opensuse.org/showthread.php?t=393110

0
swerdna
8/19/2008 1:16:03 PM
Well use it again and at the boot screen choose "rescue system". Login
as root when the time comes. Then enter this command: *cfdisk*. In
there in the "Flags" column you can see [Boot] against the active
partition. You can use the arrows to move around and put the [Boot] tag
back on the windows partition (if it's not on it). Be sure to remove the
[Boot] tag from any/all other partition/s.

Then you can boot to windows (if that was the problem).

--
'Come visit sometime'
(http://www.swerdna.net.au/linux.html)
swerdna's Profile: http://forums.opensuse.org/member.php?userid=84
View this thread: http://forums.opensuse.org/showthread.php?t=393110

0
swerdna
8/19/2008 1:26:03 PM
THANKS, but as you've noticed the real problem is to have the only
proper system (Linux) with not so good system (XP) work together by the
means of GRUB...

--
greg606
greg606's Profile: http://forums.opensuse.org/member.php?userid=8689
View this thread: http://forums.opensuse.org/showthread.php?t=393110

0
greg606
8/19/2008 1:36:03 PM
cfdisk don't see my windows partition and one hard disk -  well i may be
wrong it only sees one disk

--
greg606
greg606's Profile: http://forums.opensuse.org/member.php?userid=8689
View this thread: http://forums.opensuse.org/showthread.php?t=393110

0
greg606
8/19/2008 3:56:04 PM
do i have to write partition after setting the boot flag?

--
greg606
greg606's Profile: http://forums.opensuse.org/member.php?userid=8689
View this thread: http://forums.opensuse.org/showthread.php?t=393110

0
greg606
8/19/2008 3:56:04 PM
HEEEELP!!!! I did "write partition" and now I get incorrect partition
table. I cannot even make a fresh instalation of windows. One one of
the partitions on this disk I have important data...

--
greg606
greg606's Profile: http://forums.opensuse.org/member.php?userid=8689
View this thread: http://forums.opensuse.org/showthread.php?t=393110

0
greg606
8/19/2008 4:56:03 PM
Let's assess your situation. How to proceed depends on the options and
the current situation. Please answer these five question:

- I wonder if the windows important data are still there or if you
  wiped the windows partition. Can you see the windows partition/s from
  the windows install disk when you go to the final screen before
  installation and enter the repair console from "Repair Your Computer"
  option?
- It's imperative to have backups of important data. Do you have
  those for the windows partition/s?
  Linux toolboxes: You have the Suse install DVD. Do you have the Suse
  Gnome or KDE Live CD?
- This can mean several things: "cfdisk don't see my windows
  partition and one hard disk". If you use "cfdisk" as command it will
  display drive 1 only. If you use "cfdisk /dev/sda2" it will display
  drive 2, and so on. Does that reveal the "one hard disk" or the
  "windows partition"? Or please elaborate on what you meant.
- If you enter the Suse facility called "Rescue System" again, do you
  see all your partitions for all drives, if you use the command "fdisk
  -l" (that's letter l, not numeral 1)?
- Where and how do you get the message "incorrect partition table"?

--
'Come visit sometime'
(http://www.swerdna.net.au/linux.html)
swerdna's Profile: http://forums.opensuse.org/member.php?userid=84
View this thread: http://forums.opensuse.org/showthread.php?t=393110

0
swerdna

Can't Update CPAN, Can't Install DBD::mysql
I upgraded to Lion. I have pre-existing Perl modules that I had installed, but I hadn't yet installed DBD::mysql. When I try to install DBD::mysql, I get this: Checking if your kit is complete... Looks good Using DBI 1.615 (for perl 5.012003 on darwin-thread-multi-2level) installed in /System/Library/Perl/Extras/5.12/darwin-thread-multi-2level/auto/DBI/ Writing Makefile for DBD::mysql Can't exec "/usr/bin/make": No such file or directory at /System/Library/Perl/5.12/CPAN/Distribution.pm line 2026. CAPTTOFU/DBD-mysql-4.020.tar.gz /usr/bin/make -- NOT...

Re: Can't Update CPAN, Can't Install DBD::mysql
Good morning, On 28/09/11 at 3:59 PM -0400, Lola Lee Beno <lola@his.com> wrote: >That's what I was afraid of. Apparently a previous install of=20 >make got blown away. In the process of downloading XCode from=20 >App Store (uggggh) . . . I had to install Xcode twice (not download, just install twice).=20 And I seem to recall some reports from others saying the same=20 thing. Installing twice also fixed borked xcode for a colleague.=20 I never bothered to find out why that fixed things; just=20 proceeded and kept working. Charlie --=20 =E1=8F=8A C...

Can't install Email-Send & Can't access Bugzilla in Browser
Hi All I am facing this problem for many days now and actually am stuck at this point can somebody please help me in resolving this (platform is Windows Server 2003, perl 5.8.8, Apache 2.2.4) 1) When I runchecksetup.pl command it give me error that Email Send and Emil MIME Modifier are not installed ..... I followed the instructions and run the commands but am unable to install these two C:\Bugzilla\bugzilla-3.0>ppm install Email-Send Downloading ActiveState Package Repository packlist...not modified Downloading theory58S packlist...redirect Downloading theory58S packlist...

can't install amsn, suse dont't install tcl scripting langua
Hi all i recently installed opensuse 11.1 i586, and i need to install amsn here, but i got a error when installing, it says that needs the TCL Scripting Language, i typed "tcl" on yast and i found the files needed, i check the files on software management, and i click accept, it asks for the opensuse cd, but i only have the dvd install, i put it on the dvd rom, but i get a error message "failed to mount /dev/srO ...." :( i dont understand whats going on. EDIT: I think i posted in the wrong section, sorry i didnt find any other that matchs my problem PS: so...

Can't boot, can't update
I have upgraded from SuSE version 11.3 (which worked well) using zypper dup. Unfortunately, an earlier post regarding resolution of a CPU crash during boot turned out to be premature, as it is now intermittent. When booting, the system: (1) UDV reports a CPU crash (on-screen dump) (2) if the computer is reset (turned off, then on again), it will eventually either boot up normally (rare) or display a screen with a very wrong resolution setting. Repeatedly rebooting will eventually tease the system into normal operation, but it usually takes several attempts. Several Grub parame...

cpan>install NET::SSH ----> Can't install NET::SSH don't know what it is?
Good day! This is the first time I'll be using the cpan to install modules. I run: perl -MCPAN -e shell and answer the questions one by one. When its done, I issued install NET::SSH at the cpan> prompt and I got the message: Can't install NET::SSH Don't know what it is. Question: How will I make cpan> know what NET::SSH is? Is there something I have to update first? How can I search for some useful modules using cpan> rather than using cpan search in www.cpan.org? What is auto bundle? And what does 'cpan -a' does? When I ran it, I can some...

XE5 can't install abbrev library -- missing designide, can't compile empty form -- no control.res
WTH!!! When I first installed XE5 about 6 months ago I was able to create a blank form and compile it -- and it made a 10meg empty file. After calling tech support I was able to get it down to 2 megs. Yeah! Now after two updates, I get an error "missing controls.res" file. Sorry, I'm still working primarily in D2007 which actually works. I wanted to try the new one and can't get anywhere. I also tried to install some components. virtual trees installed ok. Jedi will not compile jclutils.pas unit, abbrev says it's missing designide unit. I still have a h...

Can't start X server and can't install NVIDIA display driver when upgrade to 11.3 from 11.2
Hi, all, I upgrade to 11.3 from 11.2 according to official portal "system upgrade". Code: -------------------- #zypper ref -------------------- Code: -------------------- #zypper dup -------------------- After complete, I restart the system, it just can login in by terminate. When I run Code: -------------------- #startx -------------------- Got below message: > > ... > Current version of pixman: 0.18.0 > Before reportign problems, check help http://wiki.x.og > to make sure that you have the latest version. > Ma...

Installation 'Sybase DataWindow PS' printer on W98 doesn't work (so PDF export can't work either)
I have a problem with export DataWindow content to PDF on W98 systems. (I don't have any problem with PDF export on other systems like as WINNT, W2K, WXP). I found out that the problem is in the Sybase DataWindow PS printer. It looks like installed but it DOESN'T WORK on W98. When I try print something on this printer then no PostScript file is created. So I tried manual installation of it but it occurs an error during manual installation (I used description of instalation from Bruce Armstrong). The error said that printer driver (PSCRIPT.DLL) can't be loaded. I use...

11.3 took 5 goes to install, doesn't boot without assistance and can't upgrade
I had a working setup of opensuse 11.0, dual booting using grub installed on the home partition. I tried to install 11.3 from the coverdisc of linux format (LXFDVD136). It took 5 goes before the install succeeded. Mostly stopping at the "boot installed system" stage. I put 11.3 on a formatted partition in the same place as 11.0, and put grub there too. The system will not boot without assistance. I have to use a supergrub disc and tell it which partition to boot. If I use boot linux from supergrub I get the Grub error message 15 file not found. Supergrub CAN find...

Web resources about - Can't install grub/lilo, can't restor windows boot - opensuse.org.help.install