Can't get through init 3 from init 5 and can't get through init 5 from init 3.

I tried opensuse 12.1 Gm today. Installation was perfect with xfce 4.8
until I tried installing the nvidia driver.
In runlevel 5 as superuser I tried to shift to runlevel 3 and was
welcome with a black screen, I have to use ctrl-alt-delete to reboot.
During the reboot I used runlevel 3 and I was able to install the
nvidia driver. After the nvidia driver installation I tried to shift to
runlevel 5
and there, I was welcome with a black screen with a stationary blinking
x cursor. I rebooted once again wiith runlevel 5 to get the gui. Any one
had seen this happened? This installation is from the i586 opensuse 12.1
dvd I .Your help is much appreciated.

Thanks in advance

--
*People who do not break things first will never learn to create
anything*

conram
11/19/2011 3:06:02 AM
opensuse.org.help.install 14389 articles. 0 followers. Follow

When X started did you see Nvidia's logo?
uvesafb might do something for you, I'm not sure.

--
Vaio F11: i7-720QM    8GB RAM    Nvidia GT 330m
Win 7 Pro 64 bit | openSuse 11.4 64 bit | Arch Linux 64 bit

0
bsilvereagle
11/19/2011 4:36:02 AM
On 2011-11-19 04:06, conram wrote:

> I tried opensuse 12.1 Gm today. Installation was perfect with xfce 4.8
> until I tried installing the nvidia driver.
> In runlevel 5 as superuser I tried to shift to runlevel 3 and was
> welcome with a black screen, I have to use ctrl-alt-delete to reboot.
> During the reboot I used runlevel 3 and I was able to install the
> nvidia driver. After the nvidia driver installation I tried to shift to
> runlevel 5
> and there, I was welcome with a black screen with a stationary blinking
> x cursor. I rebooted once again wiith runlevel 5 to get the gui. Any one
> had seen this happened?

Yes, similar issue. Are you using GDM or KDM?

--
Cheers / Saludos,

		Carlos E. R.
		(from 11.4 x86_64 "Celadon" at Telcontar)
0
Carlos
11/19/2011 1:43:11 PM
robin_listas;2406269 Wrote:
> On 2011-11-19 04:06, conram wrote:
> >
> > I tried opensuse 12.1 Gm today. Installation was perfect with xfce
> 4.8
> > until I tried installing the nvidia driver.
> > In runlevel 5 as superuser I tried to shift to runlevel 3 and was
> > welcome with a black screen, I have to use ctrl-alt-delete to reboot.
> > During the reboot I used runlevel 3 and I was able to install the
> > nvidia driver. After the nvidia driver installation I tried to shift
> > runlevel 5
> > and there, I was welcome with a black screen with a stationary
> blinking
> > x cursor. I rebooted once again wiith runlevel 5 to get the gui. Any
> one
> > had seen this happened?
>
> Yes, similar issue. Are you using GDM or KDM?
>

> --
> Cheers / Saludos,
>
> Carlos E. R.
> (from 11.4 x86_64 "Celadon" at Telcontar)

I am using gdm? It seems that I have a company.
Thanks for the info. Any workaround for this?

As an aside:
I noticed you are using x86_64 machine. My daughter
has a lappy  x86_64 with nvidia video card that would like to upgrade.
Was there no any issues when
you install yours? I am assuming you used the dvd iso.

--
conram's Profile: http://forums.opensuse.org/member.php?userid=872
View this thread: http://forums.opensuse.org/showthread.php?t=468053

0
conram
11/19/2011 4:46:03 PM
On 2011-11-19 17:46, conram wrote:
> I am using gdm? It seems that I have a company.
> Thanks for the info. Any workaround for this?

You may try KDM. Or initv.

Bug 730051 - "init 3" doesn't work with systemd and gdm - 12.1 RC2

Please don't forget to add your information there.

> As an aside:
> I noticed you are using x86_64 machine. My daughter
> has a lappy  x86_64 with nvidia video card that would like to upgrade.
> Was there no any issues when
> you install yours? I am assuming you used the dvd iso.

I'm not upgrading yet. I have a test system using vmware player.
Also, the proprietary driver for the easy method (rpm) is not ready yet.

--
Cheers / Saludos,

		Carlos E. R.
		(from 11.4 x86_64 "Celadon" at Telcontar)
0
Carlos
11/19/2011 5:38:09 PM
robin_listas;2406422 Wrote:
> On 2011-11-19 17:46, conram wrote:
> > I am using gdm? It seems that I have a company.
> > Thanks for the info. Any workaround for this?
>
> You may try KDM. Or initv.
>
> Bug 730051 - "init 3" doesn't work with systemd and gdm - 12.1 RC2
>
> Please don't forget to add your information there.
>
> > As an aside:
> > I noticed you are using x86_64 machine. My daughter
> > has a lappy  x86_64 with nvidia video card that would like to
> upgrade.
> > Was there no any issues when
> > you install yours? I am assuming you used the dvd iso.
>
> I'm not upgrading yet. I have a test system using vmware player.
> Also, the proprietary driver for the easy method (rpm) is not ready
> yet.
>
> --
> Cheers / Saludos,
>
> Carlos E. R.
> (from 11.4 x86_64 "Celadon" at Telcontar)

Thanks, well do it.
This is just a test machine also. Maybe I well wait for another month
for my daughter's machine upgrade.

--
*People who do not break things first will never learn to create
anything*
conram's Profile: http://forums.opensuse.org/member.php?userid=872
View this thread: http://forums.opensuse.org/showthread.php?t=468053

0
conram

Web resources about - Can't get through init 3 from init 5 and can't get through init 5 from init 3. - opensuse.org.help.install