11.4 installed hal, though it was not installed on 11.3

I had removed hal on 11.3 but the upgrade reinstalled it, my
understanding was it was replaced by udev.

Was there a reason it was re-installed? Is there a reason to keep it?
To not keep it?

thanks,

--
openSuse 11.4 x64, kde4.6, Opera 10.x developer build

google01103
3/11/2011 2:36:03 PM
opensuse.org.help.install 14389 articles. 0 followers. Follow

Strange I have just checked - on a clean install of 11.4 - and hal has
been installed too.

Suppose the easiest thing to do is un-install hal and see if you have
any problems.

--
dth2
dth2's Profile: http://forums.opensuse.org/member.php?userid=246

0
dth2
3/11/2011 2:36:03 PM
Looked in Yast and no required by is listed for hal

--
openSuse 11.4 x64, kde4.6, Opera 10.x developer build
google01103's Profile: http://forums.opensuse.org/member.php?userid=260

On 03/11/2011 08:36 AM, google01103 wrote:

> Looked in Yast and no required by is listed for hal

I think smolt needs it.
0
Larry
3/11/2011 2:59:21 PM
no, smolt doesn't appear to - didn't complain when I removed Hal

but kdebase3 or kdebase3-runtime does and I had them installed - I had
allowed broken dependency in 11.3 - and forgotten I had

--
openSuse 11.4 x64, kde4.6.1, Opera 11.x developer build
google01103's Profile: http://forums.opensuse.org/member.php?userid=260
View this thread: http://forums.opensuse.org/showthread.php?t=455395

0
google01103
3/11/2011 3:36:03 PM
I did a clean install of 11.4 and Hal wasn't installed. It is installed
by default in 11.3 so if you're upgrading from there, you'll probably
still have it, or it's still a dependency.

When I updated to the latest version of K3b in 11.3, K3b no longer
recognized my optical drive. The new version of K3b no longer needed
Hal, but I think some KDE libraries were still looking for it before it
would recognize the drive.

--
pilotgi
pilotgi's Profile: http://forums.opensuse.org/member.php?userid=1313
View this thread: http://forums.opensuse.org/showthread.php?t=455395

0
pilotgi
3/11/2011 5:06:03 PM
that explains it for me as i have both kde4 and kde3.5 installed

--
dth2
dth2's Profile: http://forums.opensuse.org/member.php?userid=246
View this thread: http://forums.opensuse.org/showthread.php?t=455395

0
dth2

11.4 M6 Install-11.4 RC1 Install
I'm currently running 11.4 M6 on my Netbook and was wondering if I download the Release Candidate 1 DVD image and burn it to DVD will I need to do a clean Install of Release Candidate 1 or will I be able to upgrade M6 to RC1. This is the first time that I've used a pre-release version of OpenSuse? Roland -- Rolandh31 ------------------------------------------------------------------------ Rolandh31;2287497 Wrote: > I'm currently running 11.4 M6 on my Netbook and was wondering if I > download the Release Candidate 1 DVD image and burn it to DVD wil...

Install 11.1RC1 messed up 11.0 install -- help
I loaded opensuse 11.1 RC1 live CD last night to see how it worked. I got stuck configuring the network card. It seemed that the network switch was off and wouldn't turn on so that even though the firmware was installed I couldn't get past that issue. So I decided to go ahead and install a second copy of opensuse on the machine, so that I would be about to reconfigure and reboot. I have a copy of opensuse 11.0. I configured 2 new partitions 3.75GB for the root, 256MB for /var. I configured it to use the existing 1GB swap, the existing 1GB /temp, and the existing 1GB ...

Inspiron 1000 install problem (11.1, 11.2, net install, dvd install)
Ok, I have a plain jane Inspiron 1000, 2ghz celeron, 256m ram, 40gig hd, dvd. I burned 11.2 to dvd, 11.1 to dvd, tried installing both. Both get the dreaded "cannot create repository" (i'm paraphrasing). No problem, I download and burn 11.1, 11.2 net install's, checksums check out ok. I go through the first part where it downloads stuff from download.opensuse.com (or something similiar), then it fails again, not able to install. I get no message on the net installs. Just fails real quick with a red box. I tried a text install, fails. What gives? --...

Cannot Install 4.11
Hi there I'm trying to install 4.11 onto an Compaq Deskpro EN, so I can test the migration wizard. I've fdisked the hdd, created an 800mb primary partition, made it active and sysed it. I copied the CD drivers to this partition and booted from it. When I run install from the 4.11 CD it asks what language I want to use. I select english, then it gets bitter and twisted. The screen fills with pages of ascii characters - the same character repeated for a few pages before moving to the next character. After a 30 secs it seems to decide trianges are quite nice, and...

11.1 3.5 to 11.3 KDE 4.X upgrade or install?
It's time to bite the bullet before I run out of security update support in December. I also have a sda that is starting to show signs of possibly failing soon when I run smartctl -H. What I want to do is mirror my existing sda with pmagic and upgrade to 11.3. How much trouble will I have going the upgrade route over doing a clean install and trying to import all my Thunderbird/firefox etc data to it with 11.3 and KDE 4.X? -- Linux 2.6.27.42-0.1-default x86_64. openSUSE 11.1(x86_64). AMD Phenom II X4 955 4GB mem. disk Total: 2.0TB. Nvidia GF 8600 GT. sound HDA-Intel --...

Install 11.4 Live CD install Gnome / KDE ATI: screen crash... using on live cd or install impossible
Hello, After trying to install the 11.4 Live CD Gnome and KDE, I see these two versions as soon as the kernel loads the ATI driver the screen becomes unreadable (this problem also in console mode text). Use live cd, as its installation therefore becomes impossible! The affected machine is a Sony Vaio VGN-SR29VN equipped with an ATI Mobility Radeon HD 3470, installed on key usb3 (IOPS higher) bootable via USB 2. NET version (180 Mb) it seems I am to spend 31% of the install. A correct emergency ... Good day. -- phil995511 -------------------------------------------...

Help with Grub booting 11.1 after installing 11.4
AMD 64bit OpenSuse 11.4 My installation on 11.4 went onto its own partition (s) - one for root fs and another for /home. I have encountered intermittent lockups of OpenSuse 11.4 and wish to use my old system as a backup until I can sort this out. Grub is only offering to boot the new system and Failsafe. My other installation does not appear in the menu. Any ideas on how to diagnose this ? I have several hard drives on the system with older versions of OpenSuse. The 11.1 release works ok and I would like to boot back into it. -- cabernet ----------------------------...

Error "Make sure that CD number 1 is in your drive." when installing Open SUSE 11.2, 11.3 and 11.4.
Hi sir, I had download the iso of Open SUSE 11.2, 11.3 and 11.4 and confirmed with the MD5 code. Then, I burned them using the lowest speed which the system supported. But the error message "Make sure that CD number 1 is in your drive." is always displayed while installing OS. How can I do? Environment: CPU i7-2710QE. PCH: B1 stepping. Platform: Huron River based. RAM: 2Gx1 unbuffered none ECC RAM. Target OS: Open SUSE 11.2, 11.3 and 11.4 for 32bit. Hdd: WD 160G SATA HDD using IDE mode by setting setup. DVD: Pioneer DVR-217BK. USB keyboard/mouse. Onboard VGA por...

4.11 Install, How to skip Lan Driver Install
Problem: Need to SP5 or greater in order to install CE1000 lan drivers. Recommendation: Barry said to skip the Lan driver install, finish the install. Then install SP5, then go back and install Lan Drivers. Problem: 4.11 will not allow the install to continue without lan drivers. How do you get past the Lan Driver install? I'm running a xeon board with dual gig LOM. Thanks, jim Jim, Place a temporary NIC in a PCI slot that IS supported. Finish the install, then install SP9. Unload the old driver, then load the new. I think I used a 3Com card last time I needed one. ...

11.3 Can not install Gnome after Install with KDE
I have installed openSUSE 11.3 on a couple of computers here at work, one 64bit one 32. I always install choosing KDE as the desktop and installed Gnome once the OS install is complete. Now when I go into YAST2 and select the gnome and I get the following. pattern:gnome-11.3-22.1.i586 requires patterns-openSUSE-gnome, but ths requirement cannot be provided uninstallable providers:patterns-openSUSE-gnome-11.3-22.1.i586[openSUSE_11.3_Oss] Conflict Resolution: deinstallation of patterns-openSUSE-kde4_pure-11.3.1.i586 do not install pattern:gnome-11.3-22.1.i586 break gnome by ig...

Using 10.3 Net Install CD to install 11
I have a Net Install CD for openSUSE 10.3 which I have used successfully and am now looking at upgrading to 11. Actually I am looking at installing it fresh on a new hard drive, not upgrade the existing installation. One of the steps in the installation is telling it where the OSS repository is located. I am wondering, could I just have it point to the openSUSE 11 repository instead or does the CD and repository match? I'm just hoping to keep from having to download and burn another CD. I really should figure out how to install it on a USB stick so I can just overwrite i...

Installing DHCP on 4.11 Server with SP9 already installed
Sorry I posted this in the wrong forum earlier. So here goes! I have a 4.11 server that was not running DHCP and has been patched to SP9. How do I install DHCP. If I use the install disk I don't have the lateset DHCP. Is there a way to install it from the NW4SP9 directory? Thanks Ron > I have a 4.11 server that was not running DHCP and has been patched to > SP9. > > How do I install DHCP. If I use the install disk I don't have the > lateset DHCP. Is there a way to install it from the NW4SP9 directory? Hmmm. Are you sure you do...

To install or not to install?

11.3 Network install in VMWare using Easy Install problems...
I wanted to kick 11.3's tires without risking my already stable 11.1 installation, and without DLing the entire DVD, so I decided to do a Network Install inside VMWare. The Easy Install option auto-selected and didn't work so well. (I'm thinking I should have chosen the "I'll install OS later" option, and maybe gotten "normal" boot behavior and setup options. So EasyInstall asks for username/passwd to use and goes off to the races. When it gets to the point where it is going to reboot and finish the install, it comes up to a text-console login. N...

Web resources about - 11.4 installed hal, though it was not installed on 11.3 - opensuse.org.help.install

Pre-installed software - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia
Bundled software is another name for pre-installed software, as pre-installed are all bundled with a hardware device of some kind. However, bundled ...

REPORT: Facebook Home Can Be Installed On All Android Devices Running 4.0 And Up
The good news: Facebook Home can now be run on all Android devices running version 4.0 of the mobile operating system or higher, even if they ...

CPU fan installed - Flickr - Photo Sharing!
Explore Garrette's photos on Flickr. Garrette has uploaded 3652 photos to Flickr.

Gay-friendly traffic lights installed in Vienna - YouTube
Keep up-to-date with the latest news, subscribe here: http://bit.ly/AFP-subscribe Several pedestrian crossings in Vienna are showing symbols ...

Chris Gayle posts photos of strip club installed in his own house
... his party lifestyle off the cricket field, but the West Indian has gone to a whole new level by showing off the new "strip club" he has installed ...

Cameras installed on hull of ISS (00:59)

Where in the US is solar installed?

Giant Gollum installed at airport ahead of Hobbit film
A 12 metre-long sculpture carved using robotics and chainsaws has been installed at Wellington Airport ahead of The Hobbit premiere.