11.3 took 5 goes to install, doesn't boot without assistance and can't upgrade

I had a working setup of opensuse 11.0, dual booting using grub
installed on the home partition.   I tried to install 11.3 from the
coverdisc of linux format (LXFDVD136).   It took 5 goes before the
install succeeded.  Mostly stopping at the "boot installed system"
stage.
I put 11.3 on a formatted partition in the same place as 11.0, and put
grub there too.
The system will not boot without assistance.   I have to use a
supergrub disc and tell it which partition to boot.  If I use boot linux
from supergrub I get the Grub error message 15 file not found.
Supergrub CAN find windows and it boots with the win command.
Automatic and yast initiated attempts to check for software upgrades
are blocked by the application with pid 4587.

--
mchljblack

mchljblack
10/10/2010 6:06:02 PM
opensuse.org.help.install 14389 articles. 0 followers. Follow

If you can boot to SUSE and get this info:

Open a terminal and become su -

Code:
--------------------
    fdisk -l
--------------------
and

Code:
--------------------
    cat /boot/grub/menu.lst
--------------------

You could just try this:
'Re-Install Grub Quickly with Parted Magic'
(http://tinyurl.com/3xaa3vj)

--
Box: openSUSE 11.3 | Gnome 2.3 | AMD 64 X2 5200+ | nVidia 8500GT | 4GB
RAM

0
caf4926
10/10/2010 6:06:02 PM
On 2010-10-10 20:06, caf4926 wrote:

> If you can boot to SUSE and get this info:
>
> Open a terminal and become su -
>

> Code:
> --------------------
>     fdisk -l
> --------------------
> and
>
> Code:
> --------------------
>     cat /boot/grub/menu.lst
> --------------------

And "file -s /dev/sd*".

--
Cheers / Saludos,

		Carlos E. R.
		(from 11.2 x86_64 "Emerald" at Telcontar)
0
Carlos
10/10/2010 10:27:23 PM
I re-installed from scratch using the same DVD.   This time I let the
installer put Grub in the MBR.   It didn't sabotage the boot of Vista
(as earlier versions did) and the installer correctly identified the
partition where Vista is installed.

I wish I had done that in the first place, thank you to everyone who
replied.

There is still a minor problem with the updater (on first install).  It
pretends to be looking for updates and will not be closed.  In so doing
it blocks the access of manual updates through Yast.   The cure is to
re-boot.

--
mchljblack
mchljblack's Profile: http://forums.opensuse.org/member.php?userid=51317
View this thread: http://forums.opensuse.org/showthread.php?t=447934

0
mchljblack
10/31/2010 9:06:02 PM
mchljblack;2246728 Wrote:
> There is still a minor problem with the updater (on first install).  It
> pretends to be looking for updates and will not be closed.  In so doing
> it blocks the access of manual updates through Yast.   The cure is to
> re-boot.

Thats rather dastic. If it is running in the lower right corner of your
desktop (as it does in KDE) then simply close it.  Or worst comes to
worst type:

Code:
--------------------
    ps -A
--------------------
(note that is a capital 'A') and then identify the process ID.

For examle, lets say it is ID 3711 called kupdateapplet as you see
something like:

Code:
--------------------
     3711 ?        00:00:01 kupdateapplet
--------------------

then you can kill it by typing:

Code:
--------------------
    kill -9 3711
--------------------

Its a lot faster than rebooting. :)

--
oldcpu
oldcpu's Profile: http://forums.opensuse.org/member.php?userid=77
View this thread: http://forums.opensuse.org/showthread.php?t=447934

0
oldcpu

Can't start X server and can't install NVIDIA display driver when upgrade to 11.3 from 11.2
Hi, all, I upgrade to 11.3 from 11.2 according to official portal "system upgrade". Code: -------------------- #zypper ref -------------------- Code: -------------------- #zypper dup -------------------- After complete, I restart the system, it just can login in by terminate. When I run Code: -------------------- #startx -------------------- Got below message: > > ... > Current version of pixman: 0.18.0 > Before reportign problems, check help http://wiki.x.og > to make sure that you have the latest version. > Ma...

'can't find source media' during 11.3 install although does boot the iso dvd..?
Greets: I spent some hours trying to find info about my problem but couldn't. Soo..here's my problem. I'm trying to install 11.3. The iso install DVD boots up ok, says 'welcome' in far more languages than I understand, I select English & US English then all useful progress stops. It suddenly can't detect my CD/DVD (although it DID when the system booted with the CD/DVD drive selected as 1st device to try to boot). I've tried pushing the button to eject and reload the DVD, no dice. Nothing seems to work, when I finally go for shutdown it suggests I ...

can't install 3.02
Several times I have tried to install 3.02 into a fresh directory and empty database and it always fails with this error: Installing DotNetNukeVersion: 03.02.00Installation Status Report00:00:00.050 - Installing Version: 3.1.000:00:00.050 - Installing Script: DotNetNuke.SetUp.SqlDataProvider00:00:00.270 - Installing Script: DotNetNuke.Schema.SqlDataProvider00:00:02.493 - Installing Script: DotNetNuke.Data.SqlDataProvider00:00:05.868 - Installing MemberRole Provider:00:00:05.878 - Executing InstallCommon.sql00:00:06.208 - Executing InstallMembership.sql00:00:06.609 - Executing InstallProfile...

Installation 'Sybase DataWindow PS' printer on W98 doesn't work (so PDF export can't work either)
I have a problem with export DataWindow content to PDF on W98 systems. (I don't have any problem with PDF export on other systems like as WINNT, W2K, WXP). I found out that the problem is in the Sybase DataWindow PS printer. It looks like installed but it DOESN'T WORK on W98. When I try print something on this printer then no PostScript file is created. So I tried manual installation of it but it occurs an error during manual installation (I used description of instalation from Bruce Armstrong). The error said that printer driver (PSCRIPT.DLL) can't be loaded. I use...

Can't install grub/lilo, can't restor windows boot
Hi I tried to install opensuse 11 yesterday. But it couldn't install GRUB. It says - *disk doesn't exist* I cancelled the installation and now I cannot even access my windows (fixmbr and fixboot don't help) Please help! -- greg606 ------------------------------------------------------------------------ Well, In some cases (especially when using recovery boot) grub reports installation problems. But this is the first time somebody reports fixmbr problems. 1/ I would consider using windows disk to load emergency console to try to access windows disk. If...

I get "The stored procedure 'dbo.AddDesktopModule' doesn't exist" Error installing 3.012 and 3.013. Version 2.12 installs fine.
I keep getting the following "The stored procedure 'dbo.AddDesktopModule' doesn't exist" Error installing 3.012 and 3.013. Version 2.12 installs fine.  I get the same error if I try to upgrade to version 3.013 after installing version 2.12.  Any ideas. I had a similar problem a while back. My problem was that the Sql Server was setup to be case sensitive. It can  not be this way for Dnn. Maybe something to look at....

Can't get through init 3 from init 5 and can't get through init 5 from init 3.
I tried opensuse 12.1 Gm today. Installation was perfect with xfce 4.8 until I tried installing the nvidia driver. In runlevel 5 as superuser I tried to shift to runlevel 3 and was welcome with a black screen, I have to use ctrl-alt-delete to reboot. During the reboot I used runlevel 3 and I was able to install the nvidia driver. After the nvidia driver installation I tried to shift to runlevel 5 and there, I was welcome with a black screen with a stationary blinking x cursor. I rebooted once again wiith runlevel 5 to get the gui. Any one had seen this happened? This installation is...

Help
I first tried this with the version 11.0 and then again with 11.1 with no difference. I boot from the liveCD, everything looks good and then the entire screen goes blank and stays blank. I suspect this happens when it attempts to switch to the graphical video mode. The quick hardware specs are: * New blank SATA HDD is installed. * I'm booting from the LiveCD * Dell Dimension 8400 with 4-Gigs RAM * Video card is a NVidia 9500GT with dual DVI outputs. This setup works perfect with WinXP-Pro and with Ubuntu 8.04. But with OpenSuse (and Fedora 10.0) it gets to a certain poin...

can't install amsn, suse dont't install tcl scripting langua
Hi all i recently installed opensuse 11.1 i586, and i need to install amsn here, but i got a error when installing, it says that needs the TCL Scripting Language, i typed "tcl" on yast and i found the files needed, i check the files on software management, and i click accept, it asks for the opensuse cd, but i only have the dvd install, i put it on the dvd rom, but i get a error message "failed to mount /dev/srO ...." :( i dont understand whats going on. EDIT: I think i posted in the wrong section, sorry i didnt find any other that matchs my problem PS: so...

11.1 GRUB doesn't detect Windoesn't after install?
While previous Suse versions' (tested up to 10.2) GRUB always easily detected and integrated That Other Operating System (TO-OS) I've noticed that 11.1 keeps ignoring it completely no matter how often or how I've tried it. Only after the initial 11.1 installation it was in the GRUB boot menu but after just adjusting easy stuff like the waiting period (not manually edited but just with GRUB's own devices) it didnd't show up anymore and never came back either. Is it just me who's having this problem? And yes, it's the very same computer with the same har...

client install doesn't work and can't uninstall client
Help! I installed Groupwise 6.5 client on a freshly formatted workstation. All seemed to go normal, except when i tried to run Groupwise i get the following... Groupwise is not properly installed. The Groupwise components could not be initialized. Please run groupwise setup, or contact your systme administrator. so i then tried to uninstall the the client and i get this... The log file "C:\windows\system32\delsl2.isu" is not valid or the data has been corrupted. Uninstallation will not continue. so i then tried to just do an install anyway, and i end up...

Installed 11.3, but can't boot in
I installed 11.3. After the installation, the installer says that it is going to boot the new system. It brings up the splash screen with the Open Suse Lizard and hangs up. If I shut down the computer at that point and reboot, I get the startup screen which asks if I want Open Suse 11.3 or Failsafe Open Suse 11.3. If go with the default, I again get the lizard splash screen, the screen blanks for a second and the lizard comes back and I am again hung up. The second time I went with Failsafe, and the installer did the automatic configuration and everything seems fine. But I s...

Installed suse 11.0 64 bit with suse 10.3 can't boot 10.3
HI I installed open suse 11.0 with vista and open suse 10.3. Now just 10.3 wont boot any more! I looked at my boot loader settings and suse 11 says type as image section summary append=resume=/dev/sda7 etc., but 10.3 says type as menu configfile=boot/grub/menu.lst. root=/dev/sda8 I wonder whats wrong? I get error code 15. -- jpdamigaman ------------------------------------------------------------------------ Have you try looking here: 'Fixing vista multiboot with openSUSE - openSUSE Forums' (http://tinyurl.com/57zlz7) Might give you some idea perhaps. ...

Web resources about - 11.3 took 5 goes to install, doesn't boot without assistance and can't upgrade - opensuse.org.help.install