[urgent] boot fails: error 28 when grub tries to boot from root image after installing 12.1

I did a fresh install of 12.1 from live kde usb stick X86_64. After
installation a reboot is required without cd (but usb in my case).
When the PC reboots I get following error:

Code:
--------------------

  Booting 'opensuse 12.1'

  root(hd0,1)
  kernel /boot/vmlinuz-3.1.0-1.2-desktop root=/dev/disk/by-id/ata-Maxtor_6V320F0_V60SJM5G-part2 resume=/dev/disk/by-id/ata-Maxtor_6V320F0_V60SJM5G-part2 splash=silent quiet showopts vga=0x31a
  [Linux-bzimage, setup=0x4200, size=0x4baef0]
  initrd /boot/initrd-3.1.0-1.2-desktop

  error 28: Selected item cannot fit into memory

  Press any key to continue...

--------------------

I tried 2 installations but same result. I have 2GB RAM so that can't
be the problem. I also format my root partition as ext4, but the error
says something about ext2fs...

I didn't change any of the default grub settings neither.

Can someone help me? I already tried failsafe but no result.

--
suskewiet

suskewiet
12/1/2011 9:56:02 PM
opensuse.org.help.install 14389 articles. 0 followers. Follow

On 2011-12-01 22:56, suskewiet wrote:

>   error 28: Selected item cannot fit into memory

28 : Selected item cannot fit into memory
     This error is returned if a kernel, module, or raw file load
     command is either trying to load its data such that it won't fit
     into memory or it is simply too big.

--
Cheers / Saludos,

		Carlos E. R.
		(from 11.4 x86_64 "Celadon" at Telcontar)
0
Carlos

Suskewiet, how did you manage to grab the text from the boot process?
I've been trying to find a log file or some way to halt the boot process
so I can read the error messages. It appear I have similar error
messages at boot time to what you list above although I don't recall
seeing the error 28 message.

I read something about trying to fast boot and trying to load various
modules one of which fails followed by a wall of text and then it flicks
quickly over to the login prompt.

--
funkypigeon
funkypigeon's Profile: http://forums.opensuse.org/member.php?userid=61591

0
funkypigeon
12/2/2011 2:26:03 AM
robin_listas;2413275 Wrote:
> On 2011-12-01 22:56, suskewiet wrote:
>

> >   error 28: Selected item cannot fit into memory
>
> 28 : Selected item cannot fit into memory
> This error is returned if a kernel, module, or raw file load
> command is either trying to load its data such that it won't fit
> into memory or it is simply too big.
>
> --
> Cheers / Saludos,
>
> Carlos E. R.
> (from 11.4 x86_64 "Celadon" at Telcontar)

But what is causing this and more important: how to fix it? I install
grub with default settings so this seems a bug in opensuse 12.1. I could
install 11.4 just fine on the same machine...

@funkypigeon: I just typed the error over from the screen.

--
suskewiet
suskewiet's Profile: http://forums.opensuse.org/member.php?userid=791
View this thread: http://forums.opensuse.org/showthread.php?t=469041

0
suskewiet
12/2/2011 5:16:03 PM
On 2011-12-02 18:16, suskewiet wrote:
> But what is causing this and more important: how to fix it? I install
> grub with default settings so this seems a bug in opensuse 12.1. I could
> install 11.4 just fine on the same machine...

No idea. Just verify what grub is loading and the sizes.

--
Cheers / Saludos,

		Carlos E. R.
		(from 11.4 x86_64 "Celadon" at Telcontar)
0
Carlos
12/2/2011 9:33:06 PM
I'm sorry but you make it sound like every user knows how to do this,
but I don't;).
I need some more detailed help to fix this issue. I tried several
installations already, each time the same result. I had no problems with
10.2 till 11.4. But now 12.1 installation seems a horror.

--
suskewiet
suskewiet's Profile: http://forums.opensuse.org/member.php?userid=791
View this thread: http://forums.opensuse.org/showthread.php?t=469041

0
suskewiet
12/3/2011 9:36:04 AM
Found the problem. My bios has an option to use a hole at 14M-15M in the
memory. If this is turned on, grub won't boot 12.1. If it is turned off,
it boots ok. With 11.4 this was no problem to turn it on though...

--
suskewiet
suskewiet's Profile: http://forums.opensuse.org/member.php?userid=791
View this thread: http://forums.opensuse.org/showthread.php?t=469041

0
suskewiet
12/3/2011 12:56:03 PM
On 2011-12-03 13:56, suskewiet wrote:

> Found the problem. My bios has an option to use a hole at 14M-15M in the
> memory. If this is turned on, grub won't boot 12.1. If it is turned off,
> it boots ok. With 11.4 this was no problem to turn it on though...

Interesting... You could write it on Bugzilla, but then it might be
something they know. Maybe the kernel is a bit bigger now and it hits that
hole.

--
Cheers / Saludos,

		Carlos E. R.
		(from 11.4 x86_64 "Celadon" at Telcontar)
0
Carlos

Help with Grub booting 11.1 after installing 11.4
AMD 64bit OpenSuse 11.4 My installation on 11.4 went onto its own partition (s) - one for root fs and another for /home. I have encountered intermittent lockups of OpenSuse 11.4 and wish to use my old system as a backup until I can sort this out. Grub is only offering to boot the new system and Failsafe. My other installation does not appear in the menu. Any ideas on how to diagnose this ? I have several hard drives on the system with older versions of OpenSuse. The 11.1 release works ok and I would like to boot back into it. -- cabernet ----------------------------...

Clean install 11.4 Dual Boot System Grub Error Please Help!
*I did a fresh install of SuSE 11.4 (WIN7 TOO) and changed my Larger HD1 to the first HD. I was installing and got this error first: the boot loader is installed on a partition that does not lie entirely below 128GB The system might not boot if BIOS supports only lba24 (result is error during install grub mbr) status loc dev/sdb6 I continued with the install and then got: Yast2 error occured while installing GRUB ver 0.97 (640k lower/3072k upper memory) [minimal bash-like lineediting is supported? for the first word, TAB lists possible command completition anywhere else TAB lis...

Help! Installing Seamonkey 1.0.1 messed up system
Something went horribly wrong when I tried to install Seamonkey 1.0.1. First, Seamonkey was missing menu and menu item labels and displayed a partial error message in red at the very bottom of the window (_below_ the row containing the status area, the on-line/off-line indicator, etc.). The message says: <broadcaster id="Communicator:Workmode" --^ The really bad part is that is messed up something on my machine (Windows XP)--when I uninstalled Seamonkey 1.0.1 and tried installing Seamonkey 1.0 and then Mozilla Suite 1.7.12, I get the same symptoms. I also...

MSDE Installation Help -- Installation Error (SetUp Failed To Configure The Server.) Help!
Dear Forum,   I am attempting to install MSDE to my PC in order to work with databases from my ASP.NET Web Matrix program.  So far I was able to do the following... Drop to the command line a extract the MSDE files from a CD ROM Select and initiate the setup.exe file and begin running the installation However, the installation gets hung up when attempting to configure the server.  I checked the error logs and the last log entry prior to the installation error message reads... "SQL Server is terminating due to 'stop' request from Service Control Manager." After which...

Dual Boot: Installed GRUB in root, but why do i see GRUB on startup??
Hi all, I'm returning back to openSUSE after long time..about 2 years. Earlier also i'd had problems with the bootloader, and so i went on to try out other distributions. I tried out Archlinux, and liked it a lot, but kde on Arch wasn't as good an experience as gnome. So now I'm back, to try out openSUSE's very nice KDE. Here's my setup: Windows 7 already installed: C: /dev/sda1, D: /dev/sda2 /dev/sda3 is the third primary partition, and has the following partitions under it: /dev/sda4 /dev/sda5 /dev/sda6 (swap) Free Space of 150 GB (under /dev/sda3...

Install keeps failing at 93% (Installing Boot Manager!)
I've now tried installing openSUSE 12.1 twice and both times when it hits 93% and says "Installing Boot Manager", the screen suddenly goes black except for a square around the cursor. It then sits like that (although the cursor does show the thinking circle dots moving). It never comes out of that state and if I move the cursor, it only reveals the window beneath where the cursor moves, not the whole screen. It just cannot get past this step. Any idea what's wrong and how to fix this? -- 6tr6tr ---------------------------------------------------------------...

Need HELP: trying to install DBI-1.613 or even DBI-1.616 same errors ...see message??
HELP: $ uname -a SunOS recondfw 5.10 Generic_139556-08 i86pc i386 i86pc isainfo -v 64-bit amd64 applications ssse3 cx16 mon sse3 sse2 sse fxsr mmx cmov amd_sysc cx8 tsc fpu 32-bit i386 applications ssse3 cx16 mon sse3 sse2 sse fxsr mmx cmov sep cx8 tsc fpu bash-3.00# echo $PATH /usr/sbin:/usr/bin:/usr/sfw/bin bash-3.00# /usr/perl5/bin/perlgcc Makefile.PL Creating test wrappers for DBD::Gofer: t/zvg_01basics.t t/zvg_02dbidrv.t t/zvg_03handle.t t/zvg_04mods.t t/zvg_05concathash.t t/zvg_06attrs.t t/zvg_07kids.t t/zvg_08keeperr.t t/zvg_09trace.t t/zvg_...

Install keeps failing : Cannot install windows installer 3.1
Hello,This is quite weird, whenever I try to install VS 2005 .net express, I get a failure right at the start of the installation process, the installer says : Could'nt install Windows installer 3.1 ....sigh, I'll never get this to work ..thanks Can you try to install Windows installer 3.1 from the Microsoft web site?http://www.microsoft.com/downloads/details.aspx?familyid=889482fc-5f56-4a38-b838-de776fd4138c   Let us know if that works? Thanks. -Bret...

Install 11.1 from usb
Hi guys, first time poster here :) I downloaded the gnome-cd version of opensuse yesterday and i was planning to "burn" it (if that's the apropiate expression) to my usb drive because i don't have a CD/DVD burner. I searched for guides with google and also used the search function of this forum and came to the solution of unetbootin. The thing is, i let unetbootin copy my .iso image to the usb drive but when i rebooted the computer it showed the "boot error" message. The computer is an old one (2003, ASUS P4SPMX-SE). I even tried running syslinux but n...

11.1 Error installing boot manager
Greetings all, I'm not a newbie to Linux, but this is my first time using openSUSE. In the past, I have used Mandrake and Red Hat, when they were still called such in the 6.0 - 9.0 days. I have made it through most of the installation of openSUSE 11.1 without problems, but I am at the "Finishing Basic Installation" phase and the "Install boot manager" step. I am presented with the following error at this step: > An error occurred during initrd creation. > > Kernel image: /boot/vmlinuz-2.6.27.7-9-default > Initrd image: /boot/initrd-2.6.2...

installation/boot problem -- Grub Error 21
I have a Grub Error 21 problem that I haven't been able to solve despite searching the Internet for solutions. I have a 1U server box with 4 SATA disks. The last time I installed SUSE 10.0, I had a /boot{,2,3,4} partitions on each disk, and then a RAID 5 reiserfs / partition, swap partitions on each disk, and a RAID 5 reiserfs /home partition. This system booted OK. I recently installed OpenSUSE 11.1 on another 4-SATA 1U server. I used a RAID 1 (mirroring) ext3 /boot partition over all 4 disks (/dev/md0), a RAID 5 xfs / partition (/dev/md1), and a RAID 5 xfs /home partition ...

Boot problem: Just installed 11.1 dual boot with XP
I just installed Suse 11.1 on my Thinkpad X60s to dual boot with my existing XP installation. The Thinkpads have a special button (Thinkvantage button) for accessing the recovery partition during boot so the installation procedure had to be slightly different from the normal dual boot scenarios as I wanted to preserve that functionality. I basically followed 'these instructions' (http://www.thinkwiki.org/wiki/Rescue_and_Recovery) on the Thinkwiki site. Excerpt quoted below: > R&R version 4 bootloader seems to honor the active bit in the partition > table. To inst...

GRUB/LILO Installed, But Still need Install DVD to Boot into os
After installing the openSUSE 11.3(GRUB/LILO) to my Triple Boot iMac, I cannot boot into Win 7 or openSUSE 11.3 with the boot loader rEFIt. I clicked on the selection, and an error message shows "no bootable device". I have to INSEART THE OPENSUSE 11.3 MEDIA, TO MAKE MY IMAC BOOT INTO WIN 7 OR OPENSUSE. not only my Triple boot iMac is like this, my Triple Boot MacBook Pro is also like this. So what went wrong? -- asnbd ------------------------------------------------------------------------ Can you boot to SUSE Open a terminal - become su - And do:...

Boot from hard disk install fails, but live CD boots OK.
I used the live cd (dvd) to do an install of openSUSE:Education-Li-f-e (openSUSE 10.4). Upon reboot to the HD the splash screen appears, but then this message: Doing fast boot Creating device nodes with udev [ 1.467026] fb: conflicting fb hw usage radeondrmfb vs VESA VGA - removing ge Trying manual resume from /dev/sda1 resume device /dev/sda1 not found (ignoring) Trying manual resume from /dev/sda1 resume device /dev/sda1 not found (ignoring) Waiting for device /dev/sda2 to appear: .............................. Could not find /dev/sda2. Want me to fall back to /dev/sda2...

Web resources about - [urgent] boot fails: error 28 when grub tries to boot from root image after installing 12.1 - opensuse.org.help.install

Solar panels are lifted into place.

Iran installing new nuclear equipment

Gillard defends installing Slipper