[SOLVED] ata1: SRST failed (errno=-16), boot extremely slow, BIOS disappears

I didn't ask for assistance with this problem, but I want to post it
anyway, for the benefit of others who encounter the same problem.  In
fact, I'm wondering whether we should advise forum members, as a general
rule, to post problem solutions.

A few days ago, I replaced both the harddrive and the monitor in my
11-year-old AMD desktop.  I then installed OpenSuSE 11.2 with Gnome
2.28.2 on the new harddrive.  The installation went spectacularly well,
and the images on my new monitor are glorious.

There was only one problem: Booting was extremely slow.  Simply for
BIOS to detect the presence of my harddrive would take over a minute.
Grub would take another half minute to load, then issue several "ata1:
SRST failed" complaints.  I applied google to the message and found
other people having extremely slow boots, but no one finding solutions.
Some people blamed the video card, some blamed memory overload, and some
blamed Western Digital.

I opened the box, looked at the new harddrive, and recalled my
installation.  The drive was one I had used briefly several years ago as
a slave.  Now that it would be the only drive in the system, it would be
the master -- so I had set the jumper accordingly.

Now, to confirm that the jumper was set correctly, I went to the
Western Digital site and found the support documents.  That is when I
discovered that there is a third possible setting -- a "single drive"
that is NEITHER slave NOR master.  Aha!

The single setting was indicated by the absence of a jumper, so I
removed the jumper and taped it to the chasis, to make sure that I
wouldn't lose it.  Then I restarted the computer and pressed "Del" to
get the BIOS options.

Much to my dismay, BIOS indicated "no harddrive present".  What have I
done?!  Have I destroyed the drive?  In a panic, I shutdown the computer
without bothering to exit the BIOS screen.  Then I opened the box and
found the problem: I had forgotten to attach the lead from the power
supply.

I attached the lead and closed the box.  Confident that all was now
well, I reattached all of the external cables and booted the computer.
The monitor went crazy.  Instead of the usual BIOS messages, I got a
moving test pattern.  Pressing "Del" had no effect.  Once again, I
pulled the plug quickly.

Have I destroyed BIOS by shutting down abruptly while in the BIOS
option screen?!  Have I pressed "Del" too many times?!  I got out my
BIOS manual and turned to the part of the trouble-shooting section that
dealt with flashing a new BIOS into the system.

Finally calming down a bit, I wondered whether the new monitor might be
fried or poorly connected.  I put the old monitor back and booted again.
Same test pattern!

This time, I patiently allowed the pattern to run its course.  I
noticed that the computer seemed to be going through the motions of a
boot sequence.  So maybe BIOS was still there after all!

I opened the box again and returned the jumper to its original
position: "master".  Then I booted again.  The test pattern disappeared,
BIOS returned, and the boot completed, though slowly.  All of my data
was still there, on the drive!  I counted my blessings a second time.

Now I went back to the Western Digital manual.  This time I found a
fourth jumper option: cable select.  Ah, that sounds vaguely familiar!
I moved the jumper to the CS position and booted one more time.

This time the boot proceeded at lightning speed, and the "ata1: SRST
failed" messages were gone.

Problem(s) SOLVED!

--
NonZ

NonZ
2/16/2011 6:06:01 AM
opensuse.org.help.install 14389 articles. 0 followers. Follow

Ah, the sweet mysteries of computing...

Everything that happens *before* grub loads is a hardware/firmware
(bios or otherwise) issue.

The CS (cable select) setting in IDE drives is used to let the bios
decide in which slot the drive will be seen according to the cable it is
connected to. I never used this, it was buggy in the first mobos that
supported it and using master/slave/single jumper was always easy. Are
you sure the fourth setting isn't the "single" option?

This test pattern is something I've never seen. It first I thought it
was the monitor (as the "no/unsupported signal" jumping box you get
onscreen when the signal frequency is wrong) but as it happened on two
monitors it has to be some "feature" of your bios/motherboard. It might
be worth to check the m/b manual.

With IDE going the way out, issues like this won't happen anymore. I
presume your son's computer doesn't have any sata ports? If it does, you
may consider a sata drive for your next replacement. It's one drive per
cable, no jumper settings - except on the early ones, to select max
supported transfer speed (150 or 300MB/s IINM).

Anyway, thanks for your report. It's always interesting to hear about
cases like this.

--
brunomcl
brunomcl's Profile: http://forums.opensuse.org/member.php?userid=8892

0
brunomcl
2/17/2011 5:36:01 AM
I just installed OpenSuSE 11.4 for x86_64 and I have this problem.

More specifically, I have a brand new (not even formatted yet) Western
Digital Caviar IDE 500 Go. Until I read this thread, the hard drive was
in Slave mode. Now, I placed the jumper on "Cable select".

In both cases, I have the ata2: SRST failt (errno=-16) message at boot
(before any other message by the way). However, my motherboard doesn't
have any SATA ports (hence, nothing is connected in sata in my
computer).

The time isn't much of a problem (it's a server, so it shouldn't reboot
too often, and fast boot of OpenSuSE 11.4 works good). What is more of a
problem is that the hard drive isn't recognized by the OS, even though
the BIOS does recognize it.

Let me note that this new hard drive is to be the slave, the master
being another IDE drive. Concerning the cable connection, it leave the
motherboard, goes to the DVD drive and ends on that new hard drive. This
is the same hardware configuration I had before changing the
aforementioned hard drive and it worked perfectly with 11.0.

Does any one have an idea concerning why my hard drive isn't recognized
and why there's that message?

Thanks in advance!

--
n0x
n0x's Profile: http://forums.opensuse.org/member.php?userid=13293
View this thread: http://forums.opensuse.org/showthread.php?t=454214

0
n0x
4/4/2011 8:36:02 PM
On 2011-04-04 22:36, n0x wrote:
> Does any one have an idea concerning why my hard drive isn't recognized
> and why there's that message?

No.

I think you should report the issue in Bugzilla.

However, The other day I read this - I don't know if it is the case:

<http://en.opensuse.org/SDB:Installation_with_little_memory#Text_mode>

--
Cheers / Saludos,

		Carlos E. R.
		(from 11.2 x86_64 "Emerald" at Telcontar)
0
Carlos

installer-help.lang (stub installer failing -> fallback download page on mozilla.org)
Hi guys, I put a new lang file on mozilla.org, this is an help page that shows up of for some reason the stub installer for Firefox is not working and this page proposes a direct install: Generic: https://www.mozilla.org/en-US/firefox/installer-help/ With a parameter added by the installer: https://www.mozilla.org/en-US/firefox/installer-help/?channel=release It's 5 strings only to get this feature activated for your locale. Check your webdashboard status: http://l10n.mozilla-community.org/webdashboard/ Cheers Pascal ...

MSDE Installation Help -- Installation Error (SetUp Failed To Configure The Server.) Help!
Dear Forum,   I am attempting to install MSDE to my PC in order to work with databases from my ASP.NET Web Matrix program.  So far I was able to do the following... Drop to the command line a extract the MSDE files from a CD ROM Select and initiate the setup.exe file and begin running the installation However, the installation gets hung up when attempting to configure the server.  I checked the error logs and the last log entry prior to the installation error message reads... "SQL Server is terminating due to 'stop' request from Service Control Manager." After which...

DBD-mysql installation failed. please help to solve
--0016364eeba8a040bf04757e35cc Content-Type: text/plain; charset=ISO-8859-1 current environment solaris 8, perl5.8.8, gcc3.4.6, mysql5.0. please see the error in red mark. please assist me is there any other supporting files need to install?.. *andd141# perl Makefile.PL* PLEASE NOTE: For 'make test' to run properly, you must ensure that the database user 'root' can connect to your MySQL server and has the proper privileges that these tests require such as 'drop table', 'create table', 'drop procedure', 'create procedure' as we...

Dell XPS M1210, extremely unresponsive and slow installation; 11.4 -12.1; Help
I have been trying to Install either Opensuse 11.4 or 12.1 on my Dell XPS M1210 for the past three days but to no avail. Firstly It seems as if the installation proceeds very slowly from the start. The installer seems to get stuck quite a lot at various stages. After selecting the type of installation whether live or dvd the system appears to take a huge amount of time to get to the install screen where initially is nearly impossible to use cursor or trackpad. After several minutes but always in a slow manner the installer starts performing actions but always very slowly. In the la...

Install keeps failing at 93% (Installing Boot Manager!)
I've now tried installing openSUSE 12.1 twice and both times when it hits 93% and says "Installing Boot Manager", the screen suddenly goes black except for a square around the cursor. It then sits like that (although the cursor does show the thinking circle dots moving). It never comes out of that state and if I move the cursor, it only reveals the window beneath where the cursor moves, not the whole screen. It just cannot get past this step. Any idea what's wrong and how to fix this? -- 6tr6tr ---------------------------------------------------------------...

Install problem: help? Failed two tests: t/akmisc.t failed test 44 and t/mysql.t failed test 23
Ok, I've searched and searched but all I can find here is other people from more than a year ago with the same problem but not follow-ups containing solutions, but I just *know* someone out there's got the same problem already figured out...i hope. Trying to install the DBD::mysql module and failing because of these tests: t/akmisc.t failed test 44 t/mysql.t failed test 23 I've looked but the code's above my head. Don't see this in a faq (although there is a faq about akmisc.t and msql which doesn't seem to apply). Did anyone else have this problem and ...

Boot from hard disk install fails, but live CD boots OK.
I used the live cd (dvd) to do an install of openSUSE:Education-Li-f-e (openSUSE 10.4). Upon reboot to the HD the splash screen appears, but then this message: Doing fast boot Creating device nodes with udev [ 1.467026] fb: conflicting fb hw usage radeondrmfb vs VESA VGA - removing ge Trying manual resume from /dev/sda1 resume device /dev/sda1 not found (ignoring) Trying manual resume from /dev/sda1 resume device /dev/sda1 not found (ignoring) Waiting for device /dev/sda2 to appear: .............................. Could not find /dev/sda2. Want me to fall back to /dev/sda2...

Help Help Help Help Help Help

HELP!HELP!HELP!HELP!HELP!HELP!

[urgent] boot fails: error 28 when grub tries to boot from root image after installing 12.1
I did a fresh install of 12.1 from live kde usb stick X86_64. After installation a reboot is required without cd (but usb in my case). When the PC reboots I get following error: Code: -------------------- Booting 'opensuse 12.1' root(hd0,1) Filesystem type is ext2fs, partition type 0x83 kernel /boot/vmlinuz-3.1.0-1.2-desktop root=/dev/disk/by-id/ata-Maxtor_6V320F0_V60SJM5G-part2 resume=/dev/disk/by-id/ata-Maxtor_6V320F0_V60SJM5G-part2 splash=silent quiet showopts vga=0x31a [Linux-bzimage, setup=0x4200, size=0x4baef0] initrd /boot/initrd-3.1.0-1.2-d...

boot fails on lvm sata Gateway machine. /wo lvm boot works. Boot fails b4 load point.
Same failure on Suse 11.3,11.4, and 12.1: Boot cd and Suse installs with no errors. install is done with LVM implementation, usually resized swap and home [larger]. When install is complete reboot to real OS fails at the Gateway main screen, screen locks, machine must be power cycled to use anything on the machine. If F2 hardware screen is requested, hard drive shows Sata drive has to be mounted as a usb [per repair hardware] hard drive, and all partitions erased before machine will boot again [which is a nice way to say the sata drive involved is seriously injured in the install p...

help help help help

HELP Install OES Fails !!!!
Hello, i trey to install my FIRST OES Linux server but it is not goning verry well !! I have a Compaq Proliant DL360 G1, 2 proc of 866 MHz, 2GB memory, RAID 1 of 2 9.6 GB Disks. When i trey to install OES Linux i will get the following error just after the first setup sreens ( were you enter the Language, etc): Erro occurs while copying pachages from the source CD to the disk cache. I really heat this because i really would like to install my first OES server. Hope someone knows what i my problem Thanx for helping me Dave Simons CNE6 dsimons@pantein.nl wrote:...

HELP: rs_init failed to install
Hi all, I am installing 11.5.1 on Solaris 2.6. This is not my first installation and it has been many many times on different machines. I used the same source file and the same directory but it failed to install with a strange error message. I wish someone can shed some lights on. I attached part of the rs_init log message where it failed. Thanks benny .... 2001/08/09 01:21:00 SQL Server message: msg 0, level 10, state 1 2001/08/09 01:21:00 "The replication status for 'rs_functions' is set to true." 2001/08/09 01:21:00 SQL Server message: msg 0, level 10, ...

Web resources about - [SOLVED] ata1: SRST failed (errno=-16), boot extremely slow, BIOS disappears - opensuse.org.help.install

Disappears - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Analyst: Facebook To ‘Disappear’ Like Yahoo In Five To Eight Years
No Facebook by 2020? That’s how one analyst sees it, comparing the next few years for the social network to the past few years for Yahoo . continued… ...

Robert Scoble - Why is the PRISM story going to disappear... - Facebook
Why is the PRISM story going to disappear within two weeks? 30,000+ people die in cars every year in the US. We don't care. We get into cars ...

‘Custom user clusters’ feature appears and disappears from Facebook ad tool
Some Facebook users temporarily saw a link to a new feature called “custom user clusters” within the self-serve ad tool last week. Facebook ...

When Product Features Disappear - Amazon, Apple, Tesla and the Troubled Future for 21st Century Consumers ...
One of the great innovations of the 21 century are products that are cloud-connected and update and improve automatically. For software, gone ...

Day 250 - Disappear - Flickr - Photo Sharing!
I spent the day shopping with my grandma and Lewis because she was treating us to early presents as she won't be here for our birthday. I got ...

Nanoantenna Invisibility Cloak Makes 3D Objects Disappear - YouTube
This short video clip shows how the activation of a metasurface cloak made from an ultrathin layer of nanoantennas can render a 3D object invisible. ...

Elderly man disappears during Chinese New Year parade in Sydney
The family of an elderly man who went missing from a busy street in Sydney's CBD during Chinese New Year celebrations on the weekend say they ...

Boy disappears off Sydney beach (01:35)
The frantic search continues for a five-year-old boy after he disappeared into the water at Sandringham on Sunday afternoon. Nine News.

How Google Ventures Made Its $US100,000 Investment In Bustle Disappear
Business Insider Australia How Google Ventures Made Its $US100,000 Investment In Bustle Disappear Business Insider Australia It's all really ...