Using two graphics cards and two monitors?

Is it possible to use two graphics cards each with its own monitor?  I
have spent considerable effort trying to make this work with a Intel 865
/ Vizio 37 monitor as well as a ATI Rage XL / 19" VESA 1280 x 1024
without success.

I can use each monitor/card combination individually, by setting my
machine to boot from that card, but cannot get Suse 11.1 to recognize
both simultaneously (even though the "Hardware Information" from Yast
recognizes both graphics cards).  Incidentally, Windows XP recognizes
and uses both cards and monitors simultaneously.

sax2 -r only recognizes the currently "booting" card, and not the
other.  I only see one graphics card on the Sax display.

Thanks for your help.  Perhaps this is not possible with Suse.  I even
tried moving this hardware to a different machine (both pentiums)
without success.

--
victorhelsing

victorhelsing
8/3/2009 12:16:02 AM
opensuse.org.help.hardware 8187 articles. 0 followers. Follow

It is possible but it would require tinkering with xorg.conf file i
guess. Try to recognize with sax the first card and save the resulting
xorg.conf then add the second card and save that xorg.conf file once
again, after that look at them and adjust like Monitor[0] Monitor[1],
you know what i mean.

--
How does a linux geek make love??

- unzip; strip; touch; finger; mount; fsck; more; yes; umount; sleep;
BenderBendingRodriguez's Profile: http://forums.opensuse.org/member.php?userid=1731
View this thread: http://forums.opensuse.org/showthread.php?t=419278

0
BenderBendingRodrigu
8/3/2009 1:16:01 AM
Can you confirm that both modules for the cards get loaded at the start?

--
How does a linux geek make love??

- unzip; strip; touch; finger; mount; fsck; more; yes; umount; sleep;
BenderBendingRodriguez's Profile: http://forums.opensuse.org/member.php?userid=1731
View this thread: http://forums.opensuse.org/showthread.php?t=419278

0
BenderBendingRodrigu
8/3/2009 1:46:02 AM
I did try creating a working xorg.conf with each card/monitor
combination, saving off the working versions and then copying the piece
from the other into Monitor[1], Screen[1], etc.  Unfortunately that did
not work and left me with no X windows at all.  Obviously I did
something wrong.

(Incidentally, this may be a relatively common problem.  I tried to do
the same thing with Ubuntu and Linux Mint, also without success.
Strangely, PCLinux 2009 worked perfectly although I did not want to
switch to that flavor since it is not very popular and does not seem to
be maintained as aggressively as Suse.)

--
victorhelsing
victorhelsing's Profile: http://forums.opensuse.org/member.php?userid=31684
View this thread: http://forums.opensuse.org/showthread.php?t=419278

0
victorhelsing
8/3/2009 1:46:02 AM
Have a look at this
'X.Org/Dual Monitors - Gentoo Linux Wiki' (http://tinyurl.com/lmotgh)

--
*People who do not break things first will never learn to create
anything*
View this thread: http://forums.opensuse.org/showthread.php?t=419278

0
conram

Two monitors with two graphic cards
How can I do two monitors in my system? I have installed openSUSE 11.1 in 64 bit variant. It work properly. I want to use two monitors in my system. Now works one only. Second is black. My system has next equipments: 1. CPU - Intel Core 2 Quard 9550 (2.84 Ghz) 2. RAM - DDR3 8 GB 3. Motherboard - XFX nForce 790i ultra 3-way SLI. It has three slots PCI Express x16 for graphic cards. I use two slots only. 4. Two graphic cards - Palit GeForce 9500GT 5. Two monitors - NEC LCD1970NX and HP LP2275w 6. Some HDD (SATA II, 1000Gb) with partitions for Linux with reiser file system, swap...

Two monitors, two graphic cards
Hi all! I'm using OpenSUSE 11.1 on a desktop and now I have second monitor as well. I've tried to find out how to use them both, but found a solution for one graphic card with two outputs only. I have Intel 915G built-in graphics as a basic and the Radeon. Both monitors are on and connected to their ports (VGA as far as I can see), but I see that only one (Intel-connected one) is working and the other is not being recognized by the system since the Grub is loading. But the first screen (you know, Power, BIOS and so on) displays on the second monitor. I believe there is ...

testing two three two three two two
Test ...

Can't get two monitors driven by two separate video cards running in 11.3
I have a computer with a video on the motherboard (radeon) and a separate video (radeon) card. It will not boot unless I do "nomodeset" on startup. When it does, I get video from the motherboard video card, but nothing from the separate video card. The monitor indicates that it is getting no signal at all. I think both the onboard and separate cards are fairly basic cards -- nothing fancy. I have edited /etc/X11/xorg.conf.d/50-device.conf to include a line: Driver "radeonhd" And I have an /etc/X11/xorg.conf file: Section "ServerLayout&qu...

help.. :Two plasmoids broken, Cairo dock using primitive graphics
so in an effort to install skype and enable my webcam, I installed a lot of packages and libraries, but after restarting my computer, cairo dock uses old graphics, and two of my plasmoids won't function... I think what happened is that I installed 32 bit packages when my computer is 64 bit; regardless, I think the best method is to restore my system to a couple of days ago.. but I've searched everywhere and I haven't gotten anything... the list of recently installed stuff is here: 2011-08-28 18:27:58|install|binutils|2.21-13.1|x86_64||repo-oss|5b263794031bd95226b0b43...

Using two Contentplaceholders and two Updatepanels
Hey all, I have created a masterpage with two contentplaceholders and updatepanels. In a derived page I want to update one of these updatepanels if a dropdownlist located in the other updatepanel changes it's values. But if I add a trigger with referenceing a control which is sitting in the other contentplaceholder I get the exception  The ControlID property of the trigger must reference a valid control It works fine, if both updatepanels are in the same contentplaceholder. Any idea how to access a control for a trigger which is located in another contentplaceholder?  ...

Two graphics cards
I've got a laptop (ACER Aspire 8935G) with two graphic cards, one is an ATI Mobility Radeon HD 4670 (no entry in the wiki page about compatibility with openSUSE for the Mobility version...) and the other is a low-power Intel graphic card (for low power). I've installed Fedora on the laptop, but it sticks to the Intel card, and I didn't manage to change it, nor did I get an answer on Fedora forums. Is there any general option to do that under SUSE? I understand that it might not work with this configuration of hardware, but is it even possible to choose the graphic card ...

using two arrays for two different fields
I'm trying to extract all the dates from a db table and load them in an array(seems the most logical).  However I keep getting the following error: Index was outside the bounds of the array. Description: An unhandled exception occurred during the execution of the current web request. Please review the stack trace for more information about the error and where it originated in the code. Exception Details: System.IndexOutOfRangeException: Index was outside the bounds of the array.Source Error: Line 130: For Each row In DsVacationData1.RequestDataManager Line 131: ...

Two subnets, two network cards and DHCP
Could someone help to configure NW6 DHCP server for two separate networks with two different NIC's. How to assign different gateways to WS's in this two subnets? Regards Chris Ziolek Chris, > How to assign different gateways to WS's in this two subnets? > For each physical subnet, you create a subnet object for the DHCP server. The default gateway is property associated with the subnet object and so it is defined individually for each subnet. You just have to make sure you don't define it as a global DHCP option, but as a subnet specific op...

Using two network cards
Hi: Has anyone successfully configured a Windows NT Server 4.0, running ASE 11.9.2 to use two token ring cards in a TCP/IP environment? I can successfully ping both cards from a DOS command prompt but when I set up the SQL.INI entries I cannot ping one of the two cards. I have tried hardcoding the IP addresses in the SQL.INI file rather than using a name that must be resolved and was still unsuccessful with one board. I do not have any system errors associated with either board and they behave fine using TCP/IP ping tests. Unfortunately, the hard coded IP addresses cause ASE 11.9...

two datagrids two tables one page. need help
good evening ladies and gents, I'm a noob at .net using vb.net and vs.net. i'm having a problem displaying two datagrids from two seperate tables in one webpage, both tables are in the same database and does not share any primekeys. these tables are news and notice and are not editable. I'm binding two dataitems for each table, but don't know how to bind two tables to two seperate datagrids. I'm open to any suggestions? should i use datalist? Imports System.Data Imports System.Data.SqlClient Public Class index Inherits System.Web.UI.Page Protected WithEvents ...

Using ADO: two Excel files and two ADOConnections Simultaneously
Windows 7, Delphi XE2. I am using ADO to access two separate excel spreadsheets. They have identical structure. Thus, I have set up two ADOConnections, two ADOQueries, and two TDatasets and connected them all together in a data module. I also have two dbgrids on the main form, one for each spreadsheet. I have prelinked the ADOConnections to the ADOQueries and the datasets and grids. The settings for each connection chain are connected identically except for the files pointed to. The object is to display each spreadsheet in a grid. OK, so I am making the connections dyna...

How do you insert into two tables from one insert? Or even how would you using two inserts?
I currently insert into one table with:                 SqlCommand comm = new SqlCommand("INSERT INTO UsersTable (UserName, Password, Email) VALUES (@person, @pass, @email)", sqlConnection);                comm.Parameters.AddWithValue("@person", usrnmeLbl.Text);                comm.Parameters.AddWithValue("@pass", hiddenpassLbl.Text);     &n...

Hi,   I have a problem now, I just created two excel sheets and I loading the data to a datatable in a dataset. If the rows are greater than 65536, then I load the remaining in the second datatable of a dataset. But while calling the update method of OledbAdapter after the first sheet get filled it throws error as "Spreadsheet is full". OledbAdapter.Update(dataset) or even I tried OledbAdapter.Update(datatable). Since i m not using insert query to insert in to the datatable. I have a dataset which I got from someother data and using that dataset i want to fill another ...

Web resources about - Using two graphics cards and two monitors? - opensuse.org.help.hardware

The Christian Science Monitor - CSMonitor.com
The Christian Science Monitor is an international news organization that delivers thoughtful, global coverage via its website, weekly magazine, ...

The Monitor
2009 Kia Rio. 43k. 4dr. New tires, like new, w

File:Monitor padlock.svg - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia
Permission is granted to copy, distribute and/or modify this document under the terms of the GNU Free Documentation License , Version 1.2 or ...

Firefighters continue to monitor West Belconnen fire
Fire burnt out about 80 football fields of land near the recycling centre in West Belconnen on Friday.

Dealmaster: Get a Dell 3440×1440 curved monitor and a $250 gift card for $799
... , we have a number of exciting Green Monday deals for you! The featured deal today will save you lots of money on a curved Dell monitor: you ...

Philips announces 23-inch 1080p monitor with integrated USB notebook docking station
... I often use a laptop to work in my car, coffee shop heck, anywhere really. When at home, however, I like to interact with a large monitor, keyboard ...

5 top-rated HD monitors on sale right now on Amazon
... Amazon is still offering a ton of deep discounts on all sorts of gadgets and gear, and right now there are a number of top-rated HD monitors ...

In Wake of Terrorism, Facebook Monitors Itself
... cities, people are starting to look to an unusual place for help: social media platforms. In this new generation of terrorism, Facebook monitors ...

IBM wants its Watson supercomputer to treat diabetes, fight cancer, and monitor pregnancy
IBM's putting its Jeopardy-playing supercomputer to work to help doctors treat diabetes, fight cancer and monitor pregnancy. IBM Watson Health ...