Slow video playing, videocard problem?

Hi everyone. I have a good CPU (Core 2 Duo  E4500 2.20GHz) and 6gb RAM
(do not ask my, why ))), but the only slow thing is my videocard: it`s
GeForce 8500 GT with passive cooling. So in most cases I have no
problems with video, 720p mkv movies are played fast with no problems.
But sometimes on 1080p hdtv or 1280 H264 I get really slow playing.
After some cheating with SMPlayer configuration I get it played "not
bad" (still no good), and I found that my cpu is loaded about 30% at max
by xorg and sometimes by smplayer. Does it means, that my problem is in
videocard, or I can tweak it more to make it play ok? I am using
OpenSUSE 11.1, manually compiled drivers from NVIDIA.

--
WhiteWind

WhiteWind
8/15/2009 11:36:02 AM
opensuse.org.help.hardware 8187 articles. 0 followers. Follow

Try using VDPAU as discribed in 'this post' (http://tinyurl.com/mlyzgl).
'Your card should support this'
(http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/VDPAU#Table_of_NVIDIA_GPUs) and it should
enable you to play HD without a problem.

--
*Lord Flasheart*: Always treat your plane like you treat your woman.
*Lieutenant George*: Take her home at the weekend to meet your mother?

0
Dexter1979
8/15/2009 12:56:05 PM
Thanks for the answer. Is it the same thing as selecting "vdpau" in
output instead of "xv" or "gl"? If so - it`s already done, but result is
not perfect, as I mentioned above. Sometimes frames are dropped. May be
I need to avoid of using NTFS-3G partiton to store my video? Any other
suggestions? I really hope it can be fixed ))

--
WhiteWind
WhiteWind's Profile: http://forums.opensuse.org/member.php?userid=19667
View this thread: http://forums.opensuse.org/showthread.php?t=420014

0
WhiteWind
8/15/2009 1:06:01 PM
Still thanks for trying ). I`ll try to copy that to the linux partition
and try again.

--
WhiteWind
WhiteWind's Profile: http://forums.opensuse.org/member.php?userid=19667
View this thread: http://forums.opensuse.org/showthread.php?t=420014

0
WhiteWind
8/15/2009 1:16:02 PM
WhiteWind;2026416 Wrote:
> Thanks for the answer. Is it the same thing as selecting "vdpau" in
> output instead of "xv" or "gl"? If so - it`s already done, but result is
> not perfect, as I mentioned above. Sometimes frames are dropped. May be
> I need to avoid of using NTFS-3G partiton to store my video? Any other
> suggestions? I really hope it can be fixed ))
Yeah, native Linux partitions would probably be better but I do not
know if this is the problem. Can't test it since I have no way of
outputting Full-HD content on my small little 17" monitor ;)

If you've already done the VDPAU thing I'm fresh out of ideas.

--
*Lord Flasheart*: Always treat your plane like you treat your woman.
*Lieutenant George*: Take her home at the weekend to meet your mother?
*Lord Flasheart*: No, get inside her five times a day and take her to
heaven and back!
Dexter1979's Profile: http://forums.opensuse.org/member.php?userid=255
View this thread: http://forums.opensuse.org/showthread.php?t=420014

0
Dexter1979
8/15/2009 1:16:02 PM
Maybe try playing the video with VLC player? I do know some videos play
better than others and busy scenes can result in choppy playback.

And my fan's less noisy than the intel one.. :P No need to make you're
pc any louder. Just faster!

--
*Lord Flasheart*: Always treat your plane like you treat your woman.
*Lieutenant George*: Take her home at the weekend to meet your mother?
*Lord Flasheart*: No, get inside her five times a day and take her to
heaven and back!
Dexter1979's Profile: http://forums.opensuse.org/member.php?userid=255
View this thread: http://forums.opensuse.org/showthread.php?t=420014

0
Dexter1979
8/15/2009 1:26:02 PM
you also need to select the proper decoder. If you have H.264 video in
that mkv, use mplayer file.mkv -vc ffh264vdpau

mplayer -vc help | grep vdpau

the above command to see all vdpau ddecoders

--
My repo with multimedia goodies:
http://download.opensuse.org/repositories/home:/microchip8
View this thread: http://forums.opensuse.org/showthread.php?t=420014

0
microchip8
8/15/2009 1:26:02 PM
Hmmmm... Interesting, but from Linux partition it is played faster. I
have 2 suggestions:
1) My 1tb NTFS is almost full, so file can be just hardly fragmented.
2) NTFS-3G is not so fast as they talk about it ))
But the copy speed was excellent, it took about 2 minutes to copy 9gb
file (as KDE says).

I have a problem with VLC, it`s failed to play that movie, failed to
play some others, I don`t know, how to solve it. After some of updates
it even doesn`t play ".ape" (monkey audio). It just exits with
"Segmentation error" (hope this translation is correct, originaly it`s
on native language). Reinstallation didn`t helps.

--
WhiteWind
WhiteWind's Profile: http://forums.opensuse.org/member.php?userid=19667
View this thread: http://forums.opensuse.org/showthread.php?t=420014

0
WhiteWind
8/15/2009 1:26:02 PM
Thank`s for the idea about proper decoder. I have just checked it from
output: it takes h.264 version automatically, and it`s correct. But I
have remembered your solution for future.

--
WhiteWind
WhiteWind's Profile: http://forums.opensuse.org/member.php?userid=19667
View this thread: http://forums.opensuse.org/showthread.php?t=420014

0
WhiteWind
8/15/2009 1:36:02 PM
VLC is a terrible player and often very buggy, I recommend using
something else

--

WhiteWind;2026429 Wrote:
> Thank`s for the idea about proper decoder. I have just checked it from
> output: it takes h.264 version automatically, and it`s correct. But I
> have remembered your solution for future.

I don't quite get what you mean by "it takes h264 version
automatically". Note that there are two ways in mplayer to play H.264
video

1) standard way without acceleration/vdpau: *mplayer file.mkv* which
will automatically use the ffh264 decoder. This is often *very* slow for
HD 720p/i or 1080p/i content

2) accelerated vdpau way: *mplayer -vc ffh264vdpau file.mkv* will do
all the decoding on the GPU thus offloading your CPUs - works great for
HD content

--
My repo with multimedia goodies:
http://download.opensuse.org/repositories/home:/microchip8
microchip8's Profile: http://forums.opensuse.org/member.php?userid=163
View this thread: http://forums.opensuse.org/showthread.php?t=420014

0
microchip8
8/15/2009 1:46:02 PM
I am using SMPlayer, and I am not a console "fanatic" (ok, i like to
work in console, but it seems a little freaky for me to use console icq,
console media players and so on (i know, that mplayer will play it in a
window :)), so I checked vdpau output in it`s configuration and started
it from console to get some output. I found that it uses ffh264 for my
movie, and (I hope) it means it plays movie as you described.
Am I right?

--
WhiteWind
WhiteWind's Profile: http://forums.opensuse.org/member.php?userid=19667
View this thread: http://forums.opensuse.org/showthread.php?t=420014

0
WhiteWind
8/15/2009 5:26:01 PM
WhiteWind;2026518 Wrote:
> I am using SMPlayer, and I am not a console "fanatic" (ok, i like to
> work in console, but it seems a little freaky for me to use console icq,
> console media players and so on (i know, that mplayer will play it in a
> window :)), so I checked vdpau output in it`s configuration and started
> it from console to get some output. I found that it uses ffh264 for my
> movie, and (I hope) it means it plays movie as you described.
> Am I right?

no, it does not play movies with acceleration if it uses ffh264, it
needs to use *ffh264vdpau* - which part do you not understand?

1) ffh264 -> no acceleration
2) ffh264vdpau -> GPU acceleration

btw, you can add *-vc ffh264vdpau* in smplayer's configuration ->
Advanced -> Options for MPlayer tab

--
My repo with multimedia goodies:
http://download.opensuse.org/repositories/home:/microchip8
microchip8's Profile: http://forums.opensuse.org/member.php?userid=163
View this thread: http://forums.opensuse.org/showthread.php?t=420014

0
microchip8
8/15/2009 5:36:02 PM
Ok, I get it, but I can`t see any difference here: it plays "not bad"
with vdpau output and with vdpau output + -vc ffh264vdpau. I can`t
beleve that SMPlayer is not wise enough to set this automaticaly. Hope,
where will be the day, when Linux will be more comfortable for
multimedia works than Windows

--
WhiteWind
WhiteWind's Profile: http://forums.opensuse.org/member.php?userid=19667
View this thread: http://forums.opensuse.org/showthread.php?t=420014

0
WhiteWind

Time Out Problem Help Help Help.....
Hello Experts.I am filling up the Dataadapter from a view, and soem time during the day it raised timout.My Connection timeout setting are 180 secMy View taking 6 sec in query analyzer to populate the data.Please help me what do I need to consider more....Much Appriciated..Thanks in advanceRik How many rows are you returning? Maybe you should consider to return only a subset of the rows - if there are too many?Sonu Kapoor [MVP] Feel free to ask me any .NET question | Ajax Data Controls Forum Thanks for your favourable reply.I need to populate that grid with all records, and those rows ar...

Problems playing videos
Hi, I am using ffmpeg to convert customer uploaded files to webm or mp4 for pla= yback using the HMTL 5 video tag. When converting from a flash video to we= bm, the video plays in chrome but FF complains that the file is corrupt. I= s there any way I can get more details about what it thinks is wrong or opt= ions in ffmpeg that need to be set for FF to reliably play the videos? I also have the option of using mp4, however the content is being delivered= via stream using the fragmented keyframe option of ffmpeg. IE, Chrome, an= d Safari play these videos just fine but FF will not ...

Database Problem --- Slow, Slow, Slow
I have a PB application using SqlAnywhere 9.0.2.2451 running on a SBS2003 as a service I have four company files and four different databases. All created from the same blank file. One of the databases runs very, very slow. It can take upto the count of 10 to open a datawindow. The same window will open in a second in the other databases. All four were running on the same service, so I tried to make a different service for the problem database. Still the same problem. Configuration is: -c 8M -n BEE "c:\....\bee.db" -n sbee -x TCPIP -y Database has a log ...

Problem Playing Videos
Here's a typical example: http://www.nbc.com/the-tonight-show/video/megyn-kelly-part-2/n44076 Click on the URL, screen comes up and displays a "Start Flash Player" message. Click on same, and after a brief pause the commercial plays. After that, the "Play" symbol appears on screen, and, when clicked, resolves to the endlessly spinning circle and the message "Buffering". Yes, endless. No matter how long I wait that's all the further it goes. Am I missing a plug-in or extension? Preference? Advice greatly appreciated. W7, SM 2.22.1 La...

Problem in playing video
I am trying to play a movie in web page through <object> but it never plays. My download software get it and asks to download. I have unintalled it and tryied again. Still it is not working. Does anyone knows the reason? Please reply. Thank you in advance.Never Say Die Sorry for placing in wrong categoryNever Say Die Thank you all. I have found the answer that file format is not supportedNever Say Die...

Are You Having Problems Playing Videos?
I notice that there continues to be many posts by individuals having problems playing embedded media. Even after various replies pointing to various fixes, the users still seem to have problems. I have two recommendations. 1. Launch Firefox in Safe Mode; revisit the website with embedded videos and see if they play. If they do, then you have a problem with either an extension or theme. 2. Stop trying to make it work and just install the Firefox extension called Media Player Connectivity. https://addons.mozilla.org/addon.php?id=446 This extension will identify all the ...

Slow Video playing
Name: Kennedy Kong Email: kennedydotkongatgmaildotcom Product: Shiretoko Alpha 1 Summary: Slow Video playing Comments: The memory usage is very low and very responsive. One minor problem i have is when i watch flash based videos when up-scaled to full screen. it is very slow and tends to slow down the computer, but firefox doesnt do this. however, it might be the hardware components on my computer. Browser Details: Mozilla/5.0 (Windows; U; Windows NT 5.1; en-US; rv:1.9.1a1) Gecko/2008072310 Shiretoko/3.1a1 From URL: http://www.mozilla.org/projects/firefox/3.1a1/firstrun/ ...

HELP!HELP!HELP!HELP!HELP!HELP!

Help Help Help Help Help Help

problems fill dataset. help help help
I'm tring to fill a datset and am gettin gthe below error. I feel have checked everything and now am pullin ghair out in frustration to problem. error is : Compilation Error Description: An error occurred during the compilation of a resource required to service this request. Please review the following specific error details and modify your source code appropriately. Compiler Error Message: BC30518: Overload resolution failed because no accessible 'Fill' can be called with these arguments: Source Error: Line 57: myDataAdapter = new oleDbDataAdapter(mySQL,myConn...

Problems with playing videos on YouTube
Name: Kenneth Huntley Email: gothyodaatgmaildotcom Product: Gran Paradiso Summary: Problems with playing videos on YouTube Comments: Earlier today, I noticed that it was taking a bit of time to access YouTube's videos, compared to the 2.0 browser. Ultimately as the day progressed, this browser took longer. I believe that there is an issue with the flash scripture and how the beta browser is rendering it. Browser Details: Mozilla/5.0 (Windows; U; Windows NT 5.1; en-US; rv:1.9b5) Gecko/2008032620 Firefox/3.0b5 From URL: http://hendrix.mozilla.org/ ...

youtube and other videos
Name: balak Email: balak12atgmaildotcom Product: Firefox Summary: youtube and other videos - playing problems Comments: Sometimes when I watch videos on youtube the player stops playing the video after a few seconds. I have to restart firefox in order to manage to play a video. I has happened with other web players as well. Browser Details: Mozilla/5.0 (Windows; U; Windows NT 6.0; en-GB; rv:1.9) Gecko/2008052906 Firefox/3.0 From URL: http://hendrix.mozilla.org/ ...

Playing video from youtube problem
Name: shazi Email: mshashmeeatyahoodotcom Product: Firefox Summary: Playing video from youtube problem Comments: Hi, I am using "Mozilla/5.0 (Windows; U; Windows NT 5.1; en-US; rv:1.9.1.3) Gecko/20090824 Firefox/3.5.3 (.NET CLR 3.5.30729)" browser. I see a serious problem while playing a youtube video. It hang's after some time and stuck there for ever. download bar never forward from here. If I manually forward the player then it plays for few sec and stuck again. I am using DSL service. But when I use I.E, then I don't see the problem. Again I tried my l...

problem playing a video with firefox
Hellow, I can not see the video from this site: 'LiveSkipper.com - Challenge Real Skippers' (http://www.liveskipper.com/) I get the error: An error occurred, please try again later. I asked at the forum page and other users tell me that you can see properly. Using opensuse 11.2 with gnome and firefox 3.6.3 installed mozilla repository. Thank you. -- jony127 ------------------------------------------------------------------------ [QUOTE=jony127] Hellow, I can not see the video from this site: 'LiveSkipper.com - Challenge Real Skippers'...

Web resources about - Slow video playing, videocard problem? - opensuse.org.help.hardware

VideoCard for Christmas, Happy New Year on the App Store on iTunes
Get VideoCard for Christmas, Happy New Year on the App Store. See screenshots and ratings, and read customer reviews.

Bioshock videocard performance
Bioshock videocard performance

Review: VideoCard for Christmas, New Year for iOS
If you're a bit tardy getting those holiday cards out, here's an app that might get you out of a jam. VideoCard is a free for a limited time ...

BlueStacks Beta Demo - YouTube
... Player for PC, beta version. Download now at http://BlueStacks.com My PC have 3,3 GHz AMD CPU, 16 RAM, 850 MHz GPU and 1 GB Mem. on my videocard ...

Small form factor - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia
A small form factor (SFF) is a computer form factor designed to minimize the volume of a desktop computer . For comparison purposes, the size ...

PowerDVD - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia
CyberLink PowerDVD is a media player for Microsoft Windows . Several editions of the software are sold including "Ultra", "Deluxe" and "Standard". ...

Upgrading videocard. Using a diamond cutting wheel.
... using saws and other tools to plug incompatible cards & modules into PC... This actually happened to me: recently I needed an PCI-E x1 videocard, ...

IBM PCjr.
IBM PCjr. From Creative Computing Vol. 10, No. 3 / March 1984

Ronimo Games Forum • View topic - Patch Notes Steam
This topic lists all the changes in all the Steam patches. To discuss these, please post in the respective topics in the Balance & Tactics PC ...

Swords, Clouds and Frogs: An Elegy
They just don't make video game tunes like they used to.