Printer Problems #2

Open suse, 11.3 KDE.

Perhaps someone can give me some advice - i'm trying to install an
Epson sx215 printer and scanner.

ok, the scanner first - it's detected in the scanner configuration, and
epson2 is coming up as the driver - but they are not together.
It says, epson2 (no scanner recognized for this driver)
and it says, no driver (and then usb://EPSON/sx215)

I've tried to link them together by clicking add, and edit - neither
works.

The printer, on printer configuration, I downloaded the drivers from
avasys
and there is a photo image print system lite driver, and an
Epson-Stylus_SX215-pipslite-en.ppd
both of which show up - but on the test page they print a solid black
page onto a4.
If i try to print from open office, nothing happens, but I think they
are going to the print queue, as it asks me to delete them before
printing a test page.

Finally, how do I open the print queue to delete printing tasks
manually?

Hope someone can offer some advice.
Thanks.

--
eds19

eds19
12/17/2010 1:06:02 PM
opensuse.org.help.hardware 8187 articles. 0 followers. Follow

Is the printer not in the list in Yast > Hardware > Printers
edit

--
Box: Mint 10 | Gnome 2.3 | AMD 64 X2 5200+ | nVidia 8500GT | 4GB RAM
Lap #1: openSUSE 11.3  | Duo T4300 | KDE 4.5.4 |  Gnome 2.3 | Intel M4

0
caf4926
12/17/2010 1:36:01 PM
it is, as with the scanner, it says, connection
usb://EPSON/stylus%20SX210

--
eds19
eds19's Profile: http://forums.opensuse.org/member.php?userid=53165
View this thread: http://forums.opensuse.org/showthread.php?t=451487

0
eds19
12/17/2010 1:36:01 PM
Click on it to highlight it
Then click edit - to configure it. See if you can find the exact model
in the list.

--
Box: Mint 10 | Gnome 2.3 | AMD 64 X2 5200+ | nVidia 8500GT | 4GB RAM
Lap #1: openSUSE 11.3  | Duo T4300 | KDE 4.5.4 |  Gnome 2.3 | Intel M4
Graphics | Lenovo G550 | 3GB RAM
Lap#2: 11.4 M4 | Gnome | Celeron 550 | Intel 965GM | Lenovo R61 |
Mint-Debian
'My Guides' (http://tinyurl.com/yk25bhr)
'Forum Terms and Conditions'
(http://forums.opensuse.org/faq.php?faq=novfor#faq_novellgen)
caf4926's Profile: http://forums.opensuse.org/member.php?userid=204
View this thread: http://forums.opensuse.org/showthread.php?t=451487

0
caf4926
12/17/2010 3:36:02 PM
Epson make printer drivers available from their site

'Epson Inkjet Printer Driver (ESC/P-R) for Linux | AVASYS CORPORATION'
(http://avasys.jp/eng/linux_driver/download/lsb/epson-inkjet/escpr/)

I would suggest you download and install their common printer driver

after doing that,

you can configure a printer through CUPS: accessed through your web
browser

http://localhost:631/

do note that this is a LOCAL address; so it is just on your computer:
meaning: so it is safe to do !

you can see in the middle column "adding printers .." follow the
prompts there

from the front page of the Epson site

'All-in-Ones (Multifunction Inkjet Printers) | AVASYS CORPORATION'
(http://www.avasys.jp/lx-bin2/linux_e/spc/DL1.do)

you can see they say a scanner utility is needed, and they help you
with that too

let us know how  you get along

--
pdc_2
pdc_2's Profile: http://forums.opensuse.org/member.php?userid=3503
View this thread: http://forums.opensuse.org/showthread.php?t=451487

0
pdc
12/17/2010 9:36:03 PM
On 2010-12-17 14:06, eds19 wrote:

> Perhaps someone can give me some advice - i'm trying to install an
> Epson sx215 printer and scanner.

When in Linux, first ask, then buy. Not the other way round >:-)

> Finally, how do I open the print queue to delete printing tasks
> manually?

lpq    - show printer queue status
lprm   - cancel print jobs
lpstat - print cups status information

and more. Or, browse to the local web page you were told, jobs are listed
there and can be canceled, too.

--
Cheers / Saludos,

		Carlos E. R.
		(from 11.2 x86_64 "Emerald" at Telcontar)
0
Carlos
12/18/2010 2:33:06 PM
> When in Linux, first ask, then buy

help us understand what you mean by that;

the reason I ask is that Epson make drivers available for their
printers; so I can't understand why being told that Epson have drivers
available for their printers, would stop someone buying an Epson printer

pdc_2
pdc_2's Profile: http://forums.opensuse.org/member.php?userid=3503
View this thread: http://forums.opensuse.org/showthread.php?t=451487

0
pdc
12/18/2010 6:36:02 PM
On 2010-12-18 19:36, pdc 2 wrote:
>> When in Linux, first ask, then buy
> help us understand what you mean by that;

It is a general comment. When you want hardware for use with linux, it is
better to check if the hardware you are about to buy is known to work in
linux, and then buy it; rather than the contrary, ie buy first, then try to
figure out how to make it works, which sometimes is impossible, or
partially, or difficult.

I'm not saying that epson printers work or do not work.

--
Cheers / Saludos,

		Carlos E. R.
		(from 11.2 x86_64 "Emerald" at Telcontar)
0
Carlos
12/18/2010 10:03:06 PM
@eds19: Stick with pdc_2's advice on ths issue and you won't go wrong.
Download and install the drivers from Avasys, then configure via CUPS
web interface. I've never had any problems with Epson printers (or
scanners) under Linux.

--
deano_ferrari
deano_ferrari's Profile: http://forums.opensuse.org/member.php?userid=122
View this thread: http://forums.opensuse.org/showthread.php?t=451487

0
deano
12/19/2010 5:06:03 AM
OK, so the printing is now sending from openoffice to the actually
printer, but it is still coming out with an a4 page of black, which i
have to cancel so that i don't waste all my ink.

The scanner now works.

for 'robin_listas'
This is not my printer, I share it with the other people in my house,
hence why I didn't ask before I bought it, because they bought it a
while back, for their own computers.

--
eds19
eds19's Profile: http://forums.opensuse.org/member.php?userid=53165
View this thread: http://forums.opensuse.org/showthread.php?t=451487

0
eds19
12/19/2010 6:06:01 PM
Just so we can see which prnter driver you have installed

Code:
--------------------
    cat /etc/cups/printers.conf
--------------------

--
deano_ferrari
deano_ferrari's Profile: http://forums.opensuse.org/member.php?userid=122
View this thread: http://forums.opensuse.org/showthread.php?t=451487

0
deano
12/19/2010 6:36:01 PM
A quick online search yielded this 'thread'
(http://ubuntuforums.org/showthread.php?t=1259328), which mentions that
the SX100 gutenprint driver (included with CUPS) may work with this
model. So, you may need to delete your existing printer config in CUPS,
and start over. (Sometimes, drivers for similar models work better for a
given printer model).

--
deano_ferrari
deano_ferrari's Profile: http://forums.opensuse.org/member.php?userid=122
View this thread: http://forums.opensuse.org/showthread.php?t=451487

0
deano
12/19/2010 6:36:01 PM
> but it is still coming out with an a4 page of black as Harry Corbett, would have said ..... I don't know Sooty .....

it should work: Epson have standardised so a generic driver seems to
work for their many models of inkjet printers

http://global.epson.com/technology/driver.htm

you can see the sx215 is listed as one of many ............

but if you are having this problem, first go here

http://localhost:631/

click on adding printers, then manage; then click on the Epson driver
you installed: (do you have more than one choice?) there is an option to
print test page

what happens when you print a test page?

I just wonder if you have configured the Epson in OpenOffice as well;
is there just a generic printer loaded there? maybe try printing from a
simple text editor: eg I would use gedit as I use gnome; (I don't know a
kde equivalent)

If no joy,

the other source for printer drivers (apart from those of their
manufacturers); is OpenPrinting

'Printer: Epson Stylus SX215 | OpenPrinting - The Linux Foundation'
(http://www.openprinting.org/printer/Epson/Epson-Stylus_SX215)

this driver is listed as working perfectly,

you have a 32bit option and a 64bit option; work out which you need;

so download this as an alternative; install; use the

http://localhost:631/

again to then configure

let us know how it goes

--
pdc_2
pdc_2's Profile: http://forums.opensuse.org/member.php?userid=3503
View this thread: http://forums.opensuse.org/showthread.php?t=451487

0
pdc
12/20/2010 7:06:02 AM
Thank you to everyone who offered help on this problem.  I got it
printing in Kwrite (simple text editor) and then, got it printing in
open office too.

To do this, I...
searched printers from the application launder, got to printer
configurations,
clicked add, then driver packages, installed gutenprint
then i chose my printer in the top panel, and sx100 cups+gutenprint
(simple) in the lower driver panel.

Then I tried printing in standard, draft and economy - by clicking
properties on the print page from open office.
The draft seems good quality, the economy seems what I would normally
expect to be draft, and I think I will save standard for important
letters, job applications, etc...!

Thanks again.

--
eds19
eds19's Profile: http://forums.opensuse.org/member.php?userid=53165
View this thread: http://forums.opensuse.org/showthread.php?t=451487

0
eds19

DNN 2.1.2 Problem HELP!
I have been experiencing a monsterous problem. I am converting a DNN module that I made for version 1 to 2.1.2. I am new to DNN and was very pleased to get my module to work as a version 1 mod. I have become increasingly frustrated with the Error that begins with Parser Error: Cannot load type...... and ends in Skins line 543. I have been through the line by line testing of the ascx only to discover that it won't even work with just a label. I have checked to make sure I have named everything correctly. I was just about to type this up when I decided to try one more thing. I closed ou...

Help Help Help #2
I have created two transaction objects, one source and one destination, I have also created a pipeline object between the source and destination databases. Some of the fields in the source database contain blank spaces for values; after a successful pipeline the destination database fields that should contain spaces are now NULL. My PowerBuilder version is 7.0.3, my Sybase version is 6.0.4. Is this a simple setting change? Thank you in advance... I'm not sure if this is related or not, but, I've discovered what I think is a major bug in PB in that when a dw retrieves ...

Upgrade from 2.1.2 problem: urgent, please help me
Hello everybody, I've tried to upgrade my DNN portal from 2.1.2 to 3.0.12, but the system give me the always this error: Server Error in '/DNN3' Application.  The stored procedure 'dbo.GetPortal' doesn't exist. Description: An unhandled exception occurred during the execution of the current web request. Please review the stack trace for more information about the error and where it originated in the code. Exception Details: System.InvalidOperationException: The stored procedure 'dbo.GetPortal' doesn't exist.Source Error: An unhandled exception was generated during the...

DNN 2.1.2 Mystery Problem
Ever since I installed a copy of DNN 3.0.4 on the same server as my production portal, I have been intermittantly getting a strange error on the production portal. ? Description: An unhandled exception occurred during the execution of the current web request. Please review the stack trace for more information about the error and where it originated in the code. This is what is displayed =============== Exception Details: System.TypeLoadException: ? Source Error: An unhandled exception was generated during the execution of the current web request. Information regarding...

Printer problem #2
I've to print a daatwindow in a EPSON LX-810 and I need to use the condensed font. How can I send this order to the printer in a script? I'm working with PB7, Oracle 8i and W2000 Professional. Thanks, Julia Julia; Try the PrintSend ( ) method ..... "Julia Rodriguez" <juliagrodriguez@hotmail.com> wrote in message news:MnQ1hAR3CHA.187@forums.sybase.com... > I've to print a daatwindow in a EPSON LX-810 and I need to use the condensed > font. How can I send this order to the printer in a script? > > I'm working with PB7, O...

printer problem #2
but job just hangs?? mnmorid@cox.net wrote: >but job just hangs?? Could you please give a more detailed explanation of your problem as well as describing your environment (type and version of server and workstation used ...) -- Marcel Cox (using XanaNews 1.17.6.5) This would indicate that the job is getting to the back end, but not being serviced by the gateway. What gateway are you using?? What errors do you see on the Print Manager console ?? >>> On 10/26/2005 at 11:49 am, in message <wkP7f.6730$5e6.2067@prv-forum2.provo.novell.com>, <mnmor...

Printer problem #2
Name: Fred Mathes Email: fsmathesattwcnydotrrdotcom Product: Firefox Summary: Printer problem Comments: In the last week or so I can not print from a web page with Mozilla firefox browser. My printer will print from a web page using Internet Explorer. This looks like it may be a firefox browser problem due to the fact the printer works normal with every other setting. Browser Details: Mozilla/5.0 (Windows; U; Windows NT 5.1; en-US; rv:1.9.0.5) Gecko/2008120122 Firefox/3.0.5 From URL: http://hendrix.mozilla.org/ Note to readers: Hendrix gives no expectation of a response ...

Printer Problem #2
Hello, they excuse my English, but I am going to try to relate of best foma possible my problem to them. When trying to print from groupwise leaves appears to printer dialog in target (empty). Therefore I cannot print mail. * I installed others drivers of printer. * I installed client 7,0 again * I installed the version 7 SP1 and I have not been able to solve to the problem, strange it is that when comes some associate in I engage in a dialog of impression appears the associate and can print the atachment. Please. Ronnie Rnavarrete, It appears...

printer problem #2
My Client uses a stand-alone printer. An HP DeskJet 895c. He is unable to print his PowerBuilder application documents in landscape mode. When he tries to change the print setting in the application from portrait to landscape, it always changes back to portrait. This problem only occurs in his PowerBuilder applictaion, and he does not have any problems when using his LAN printer, an HP 4SI. Any help you could give me on the subject, would be appreciated. Thanks in advance. ---== Posted via the PFCGuide Web Newsreader ==--- http://www.pfcguide.com/_newsgroups/group_list.asp ...

Printer problem #2
I installed 3 HP USB printers on a 11.1 box to access via samba. The first 2 work just fine. The last one, an HP 2420d is recognized and installed. The problem is that after it is installed it can't even print a text page. All I get is a communications error with no details at all. It doesn't matter which of the 3 listed drivers are used, or if I installed via cups, yast or the hplip utility. The result is the same. The printer does work as it was moved from a Windows box. The install is fully updated. Yes, the printer is turned on. -- vilanye -----------------...

"NoFollow" Spidering Problems DNN 2.1.2 HELP!!!
HiI need to changed the URL's on DNN 2.1.2 installation so that [LOGIN],[TERMS],[PRIVACY] and [COPYRIGHT] go to href = "h*tp://www.mysite.co.uk/Default.aspx?tabid=65&def=Terms" rel="nofollow" instead of href = "h*tp://www.mysite.co.uk/Default.aspx?tabid=65&def=Terms"I am trying to use the Nofollow attribute for links because I dont want the terms,privacy etc to be spidered.Is this the best solution or is there a better way of stopping Google from spidering the TOKENsCan somebody helpThanksGslick The only way I'm aware of control of a bot is through your "robots.txt". ...

Printer problems #2
Sir, How to stop the ejecting of paper after the print? What I mean is , when I print a report in Powerbuilder if the data contains only two rows in a A4 paper size , it prints the two rows data and takes the whole paper is out thus wasting paper. Shall I stop the ejecting of the paper after the two rows data print , I can save the paper. Ie. After the data print , I want printer be in idle Any Idea? Regards Vidya Open a print job and then use PrintDataWindow to print the datawindow. job = PrintOpen ( ) PrintDataWindow ( job, dw_x ) PrintClose() On 6 Aug 2007 01:45:00 ...

Time Out Problem Help Help Help.....
Hello Experts.I am filling up the Dataadapter from a view, and soem time during the day it raised timout.My Connection timeout setting are 180 secMy View taking 6 sec in query analyzer to populate the data.Please help me what do I need to consider more....Much Appriciated..Thanks in advanceRik How many rows are you returning? Maybe you should consider to return only a subset of the rows - if there are too many?Sonu Kapoor [MVP] Feel free to ask me any .NET question | Ajax Data Controls Forum Thanks for your favourable reply.I need to populate that grid with all records, and those rows ar...

Web resources about - Printer Problems #2 - opensuse.org.help.hardware

FBI Director: Silicon Valley’s encryption is a “business model problem”
... attacks in Paris and California. Today, FBI director James Comey has suggested that Silicon Valley isn't faced with a serious technical problem, ...

Audi says fixing diesel emission problem is simple
... Green , Audi , Porsche , Volkswagen , Emissions , Diesel , Luxury Audi believes a simple fix might be enough to solve the emissions problem ...

The FBI finally gives a clear explanation about its problems with encryption
The FBI is still banging the drum for tech firms to give it a "backdoor" to encrypted devices and this time it's offered a clear explanation ...

"I say, folks, you know, I’m sorry I did this to you, but you’ve got to get used to it. It’s one of those ...
"I’m going to win. ... You know, I’m not one of these other guys that goes down. I don’t go down. I go up." Donald Trump says get used to it ...

A ton of actresses are talking about how to tackle Hollywood's gender problem
Back in October, Jennifer Lawrence wrote an essay about her struggle to be paid fairly for "American Hustle." The essay went viral and inspired ...

Volkswagen says carbon dioxide emissions problem is smaller than feared
Results from an internal probe lets the beleaguered carmaker move on from the latest carbon dioxide problem and focus on the larger diesel-emissions ...

Guilty verdict for Oklahoma ex-cop in serial rape trial: A national problem
Christian Science Monitor Guilty verdict for Oklahoma ex-cop in serial rape trial: A national problem Christian Science Monitor A former Oklahoma ...

In Ghana, the global problem of e-waste has local consequences
Consumers have a nasty habit of throwing out their electronics as soon as newer, shinier models become available, and they rarely ever do so ...

Ted Cruz denies questioning Donald Trump's judgment. Problem is, he did it on tape.
Did Ted Cruz question whether Donald Trump has the judgment to be president or did he not? Cruz, who has cuddled up to Trump throughout the campaign, ...