Printer Problem USB Brother Laser HL2040

Hi All,

I recently installed OpenSuse 11, KDE 3.5, onto my desktop, and it is
working, but the printer does not print.  I can access the control
panel and set it up, but it prints out 5 pages of nothing when I ask it
to print a test page.  I can not use the CUPS set up via internet as it
does not recognize my password.

I have deleted it and went in manually and changed the driver to the
exact driver, but it did not work either.  It did the same thing and
printed out blank pages.  Also, my printer is pushing out twice the
amount of heat I get from Kubuntu or Windows.

Also, it did not remember the driver that I had picked for it after I
had picked it out and went back to check it.  It reverted to the old
driver again.  I did hit next and finish, and it did say it saved it.

Thanks to anyone who can get the printer to work and to cool down,
Clint aka zanity

--
zanity

zanity
6/21/2008 5:46:04 PM
opensuse.org.help.hardware 8187 articles. 0 followers. Follow

zanity;1822407 Wrote:
> Hi All,
>
> I recently installed OpenSuse 11, KDE 3.5, onto my desktop, and it is
> working, but the printer does not print.  I can access the control
> panel and set it up, but it prints out 5 pages of nothing when I ask it
> to print a test page.  I can not use the CUPS set up via internet as it
> does not recognize my password.
>
> I have deleted it and went in manually and changed the driver to the
> exact driver, but it did not work either.  It did the same thing and
> printed out blank pages.  Also, my printer is pushing out twice the
> amount of heat I get from Kubuntu or Windows.
>
> Also, it did not remember the driver that I had picked for it after I
> had picked it out and went back to check it.  It reverted to the old
> driver again.  I did hit next and finish, and it did say it saved it.
>
> Thanks to anyone who can get the printer to work and to cool down,
> Clint aka zanity

To help figure this out can you go to /etc/cups and post your
'printers.conf' file, along with the output of:

Code:
--------------------

  cd /etc/cups
  grep -nir PCFileName *
--------------------

--
'My Weblog: Everything Linux' (http://www.sharms.org/blog)
GPG Key ID: C92EF367 / 1428 FE8E 1E07 DDA8 EFD7 195F DCCD F5B3 C92E

0
stevenharms
6/21/2008 6:16:03 PM
These are the printers.conf files that are in /etc/cups/

/etc/cups/printers.conf

# Printer configuration file for CUPS v1.3.7
# Written by cupsd on 2008-06-20 17:31

/etc/cups/printers.conf.O

# Printer configuration file for CUPS v1.3.7
# Written by cupsd on 2008-06-20 17:06
<DefaultPrinter hl2040series>
Info Brother HL-2040 series
Location USB printer on //Brother/HL-2040%20series
DeviceURI usb://Brother/HL-2040%20series
State Idle
StateTime 1214006248
Accepting Yes
Shared Yes
JobSheets none none
QuotaPeriod 0
PageLimit 0
KLimit 0
OpPolicy default
ErrorPolicy stop-printer
</Printer>

--
zanity
zanity's Profile: http://forums.opensuse.org/member.php?userid=2146
View this thread: http://forums.opensuse.org/showthread.php?t=386645

0
zanity
6/23/2008 11:46:03 PM
The code did nothing except change the directory to cups in terminal, I
used Konsole root terminal, and the output was nothing.

cd /etc/cups
grep -nir PCFileName *

Password:
S0106001125680747:~ # cd /etc/cups
S0106001125680747:/etc/cups # grep -nir PCFileName *
S0106001125680747:/etc/cups #

Thanks for your help,
Clint aka zanity

--
zanity
zanity's Profile: http://forums.opensuse.org/member.php?userid=2146
View this thread: http://forums.opensuse.org/showthread.php?t=386645

0
zanity
6/23/2008 11:56:04 PM
Hi All,

I tried to repeat the last code input in normal terminal Konsole, and I
did get some output.

clem@S0106001125680747:~> cd /etc/cups
clem@S0106001125680747:/etc/cups> grep -nir PCFileName *
grep: classes.conf: Permission denied
grep: classes.conf.O: Permission denied
grep: cupsd.conf: Permission denied
grep: cupsd.conf.default: Permission denied
grep: printers.conf: Permission denied
grep: printers.conf.O: Permission denied
grep: snmp.conf: Permission denied
grep: ssl: Permission denied
grep: yes/remote.cache: Permission denied
grep: yes/ppds.dat: Permission denied
grep: yes/job.cache: Permission denied
grep: yes/help.index: Permission denied
clem@S0106001125680747:/etc/cups>

--
zanity
zanity's Profile: http://forums.opensuse.org/member.php?userid=2146
View this thread: http://forums.opensuse.org/showthread.php?t=386645

0
zanity
6/24/2008 12:06:03 AM
Hi All,

I was able to get the printer working through CUPS Manage Printing
under Utilities and Printing.  My mistake in not being able to set it
up using CUPS before was it was asking for my root username, and
password, not my home username and password.  Although I was using my
sudo or root password, I did not use root as the username.  I thought I
would share my gaffe, in the hopes it could help some other newbie.

Cheers & Thanks to All,
Clint aka zanity

--
zanity
zanity's Profile: http://forums.opensuse.org/member.php?userid=2146
View this thread: http://forums.opensuse.org/showthread.php?t=386645

0
zanity

amatteroffax.com
Name: teaddidinains Email: faxat46updotcom Product: eBay Companion Summary: amatteroffax.com - Brother MFC-8480DN , Buy laser printer brother 8480 brother Comments: <a href=http://www.amatteroffax.com/itempagey_invid_1367002962_d_brother-mfc8480dn-p-c-s-f-laserpr-32ppm-64mb-duplex.html>Compare price check brother848</a> <h1>Find laser printer brother 8480 brother</h1> High-Performance Laser All-in-One for your Business or Small Workgroup <b>Brother MFC-8480DN Print</b> Print Technology B/W Laser Technology Consumable Type Toner Ca...

Problems configuring a USB Printer via USB HP JetDirect
I have a problem configuring a HP Color LaserJet 1500 USB printer connected to a external 310x USB HP jetDirect box. I can setup the Printer Agent and it all seems OK on the NDPS Manager, but when I try to install the printer onto my PC I get an error message saying: "Could not connect to printer. Either the printer name you entered was incorrect or the printer doesn't exist on the server." Any ideas?/ At the moment the NDPS print server is Nw6 SP2. I am going to SP3 soon (next week), but will this problem go away then or is there another patch for NDPS?? I'...

Brother Printer Problems
Hi, i am new to OpenSuse, but used Ubuntu before. After connecting of my brother printer i see a strange issue going on. THe printer prints, but the pages are all white. I checked the configuration and it looks fine, except that it does not work. Under ubuntu it did work. So strange. I checked with the helpfile from opensuse and i try to install the driver with cupswrapper, but gives me an error (its already there even if i can not see it). Is there a way to remove it from the repositories and install it fresh? Or is there a different way to do it? It is a Brother HL-2040 printe...

Time Out Problem Help Help Help.....
Hello Experts.I am filling up the Dataadapter from a view, and soem time during the day it raised timout.My Connection timeout setting are 180 secMy View taking 6 sec in query analyzer to populate the data.Please help me what do I need to consider more....Much Appriciated..Thanks in advanceRik How many rows are you returning? Maybe you should consider to return only a subset of the rows - if there are too many?Sonu Kapoor [MVP] Feel free to ask me any .NET question | Ajax Data Controls Forum Thanks for your favourable reply.I need to populate that grid with all records, and those rows ar...

Brother printer problem
I have a Brother HL 2140 laser printer. It works on Mandriva and Ubuntu, but because it does not come with a PPD file, only an lpr and cupswrapper file - both of which are loaded onto the computer but Yast cannot seem to find, it will not work properly. What have I missed here, and how do I get it to work? DCM -- dcm1943 ------------------------------------------------------------------------ Hi dcm1943 I have installed drivers for a couple of brother printers over the years with earlier versions of suse. I assume you've installed the rpm packages ok, and no...

USB printer problem
Hello I want to connect two OKI B410d USB printers to a PC running SUSE 11.0 and CUPS. I install (using either YaST or CUPS administration) and get the following in the /etc/cups/printers.conf file: <Printer A> ... DeviceURI usb://OKI%20DATA%20CORP/B410 ... </Printer> <Printer B> ... DeviceURI usb://OKI%20DATA%20CORP/B410 ... </Printer> After installation all print is sent to the same printer, regardless of which of printers A or B is used (probably no big surprise with identical URIs). Does anybody know how I can obtain unique URIs for the ...

Help Help Help Help Help Help

HELP!HELP!HELP!HELP!HELP!HELP!

problems fill dataset. help help help
I'm tring to fill a datset and am gettin gthe below error. I feel have checked everything and now am pullin ghair out in frustration to problem. error is : Compilation Error Description: An error occurred during the compilation of a resource required to service this request. Please review the following specific error details and modify your source code appropriately. Compiler Error Message: BC30518: Overload resolution failed because no accessible 'Fill' can be called with these arguments: Source Error: Line 57: myDataAdapter = new oleDbDataAdapter(mySQL,myConn...

Can you help with this printer problem???
I need to capture a printer name for use with a DOS program. The DOS program will eventually do a "copy" of a file to the printer. The problem is that the printer name I return isn't what DOS wants. DOS needs the share name of the printer not the real name. When I do a datawindow.object.printer it returns something like "\\Trinity1\Lexmark Optra Plus on Ne00:" but what I really need is "\\Trinity1\Optrar" which is the share name (in the registry). Can anyone help! Thanks in advance! ...

Printing Problem with Brother Printer
Hi, this is very urgent! We have a PB 8 application running on a terminalserver. We have problems while printing composite datawindows. Different people use the same application but print on different printers. One printer works perfect the other does not (Brother printer). There is no problem in printing normal datawindows or word documents on that printer. As soon as they try to print a composite dw we only get an empty page. Are there any known issues concerning printing composite dw's? Thanx a lot for your help Josh Hello Joachim, We always had a lot of probl...

Printer problem
I had a Brother MFC 7840 network printer set up and working. Installed a new router and the ip printer address changed, so I used YAST to reconfigure the printer, but it did not work. Changed the printer ip address back to what it was with the old router and tried again, but still cannot connect to the printer. Xsane scans work fine, so I know I blew out something when I tried the Yast change for the printer (I wish I had just changed the ip address before trying to reconfigure with Yast!!). I've tried Yast and CUPS printer setups several times, to no avail. The cups error l...

Brother 7320 printer problem
Hi all, Delphi 2007, QReport 4.06 Our programs, usint QReport, prints on whatever printer is installed in Windows XP environment. One of our customers brought a Brother MFC 7320 printer. http://welcome.solutions.brother.com/BSC/public/eu/eu_ot/en/model_top/mo nolasermfc/mfc7320_eu.html?reg=eu&c=eu_ot&lang=en&prod=mfc7320_eu This one refuses to print our reports: the printer always ejects a blank page. I tried installing the driver on another system, on my laptop, etc but with the same result. Printing a test page or printing with other programs (notepad, office, ...

help help help help

Web resources about - Printer Problem USB Brother Laser HL2040 - opensuse.org.help.hardware

App Store - EPSON Printer Finder

9to5Toys Lunch Break: Brother Laser Printer $40, Nomad Apple Watch Stand $41, Samsung 48″ 4K UHDTV $500 ...
... us out on: Twitter , RSS Feed , Facebook , Google+ and Safari push notifications . TODAY’S CAN’T MISS DEALS: Brother compact Laser printer: ...

In the Garden of 3D Printers
... (the long tube it uses as a mouth)." Of course, a very similar experiment could have been done using handmade model flowers—not 3D printers—and ...

JAYVEE NEWS: ISIS May Have Syrian Passport Printer
By Russ Reed The Islamic State may have gotten a passport printer, and could be using it to send militants into the United States carrying Syrian ...

Epson WorkForce WF-3640 All-in-One Printer Review
Epson recently released the WorkForce WF-3640 , another high-quality printer with all the bells and whistles that exist in higher capacity models, ...