openSUSE 11.4 + [Hardware Error]: Machine check events logged

Hi guys, I need help. I currently use opensuse 11.4
(2.6.37.6-desktop-0.5) in an Intel (R) Core (TM) 2 Quad CPU
Q8300@2.50GHz.
It often happens that the system hangs and I have to restart the
computer with the appropriate reset button. I honestly do not understand
where it could be the problem and the only thing that I have comes from
/var/log/message:

Code:
--------------------
    Jun  2 11:01:06 linux-ve8c nmbd[2482]:
  Jun  2 11:01:06 linux-ve8c nmbd[2482]:   *****
  Jun  2 11:01:31 linux-ve8c sudo:  crismon : TTY=pts/0 ; PWD=/home/crismon ; USER=root ; COMMAND=/usr/bin/tail -f /var/log/messages
  Jun  2 11:02:51 linux-ve8c sudo:  crismon : TTY=pts/3 ; PWD=/home/crismon ; USER=root ; COMMAND=/usr/bin/zypper ref
  Jun  2 11:03:09 linux-ve8c sudo:  crismon : TTY=pts/3 ; PWD=/home/crismon ; USER=root ; COMMAND=/usr/bin/zypper dup
  Jun  2 11:04:48 linux-ve8c kernel: [  299.994008] [Hardware Error]: Machine check events logged
--------------------

I use nomodeset option for disable KMS.

What steps do you recommend to follow to find the cause of system
crash?
Thank you for your attention!
(Sorry for my bad english) :(

--
'CrismonBlog Un Blog targato openSUSE' (http://www.crismonblog.org)

Crismon
6/2/2011 9:36:02 AM
opensuse.org.help.hardware 8187 articles. 0 followers. Follow

Is it possible that the problem is caused by the ext4 file system?

--
'CrismonBlog Un Blog targato openSUSE' (http://www.crismonblog.org)
Crismon's Profile: http://forums.opensuse.org/member.php?userid=23071

0
Crismon
6/3/2011 11:06:03 AM
Crismon wrote:
> Is it possible that the problem is caused by the ext4 file system?

Almost certainly not. It is, as the message says, a hardware problem.

If you provide full details of your hardware, people may be able to
suggest some likely areas to investigate.
0
Dave
6/3/2011 11:17:53 AM
Thank you djh-novell.

This is my hardware:

Code:
--------------------
    linux-ve8c:/home/crismon # /sbin/lspci
  00:00.0 Host bridge: Intel Corporation 4 Series Chipset DRAM Controller (rev 03)
  00:01.0 PCI bridge: Intel Corporation 4 Series Chipset PCI Express Root Port (rev 03)
  00:1a.0 USB Controller: Intel Corporation 82801JI (ICH10 Family) USB UHCI Controller #4
  00:1a.1 USB Controller: Intel Corporation 82801JI (ICH10 Family) USB UHCI Controller #5
  00:1a.2 USB Controller: Intel Corporation 82801JI (ICH10 Family) USB UHCI Controller #6
  00:1a.7 USB Controller: Intel Corporation 82801JI (ICH10 Family) USB2 EHCI Controller #2
  00:1b.0 Audio device: Intel Corporation 82801JI (ICH10 Family) HD Audio Controller
  00:1c.0 PCI bridge: Intel Corporation 82801JI (ICH10 Family) PCI Express Root Port 1
  00:1c.1 PCI bridge: Intel Corporation 82801JI (ICH10 Family) PCI Express Port 2
  00:1c.2 PCI bridge: Intel Corporation 82801JI (ICH10 Family) PCI Express Root Port 3
  00:1d.0 USB Controller: Intel Corporation 82801JI (ICH10 Family) USB UHCI Controller #1
  00:1d.1 USB Controller: Intel Corporation 82801JI (ICH10 Family) USB UHCI Controller #2
  00:1d.2 USB Controller: Intel Corporation 82801JI (ICH10 Family) USB UHCI Controller #3
  00:1d.7 USB Controller: Intel Corporation 82801JI (ICH10 Family) USB2 EHCI Controller #1
  00:1e.0 PCI bridge: Intel Corporation 82801 PCI Bridge (rev 90)
  00:1f.0 ISA bridge: Intel Corporation 82801JIB (ICH10) LPC Interface Controller
  00:1f.2 IDE interface: Intel Corporation 82801JI (ICH10 Family) 4 port SATA IDE Controller #1
  00:1f.3 SMBus: Intel Corporation 82801JI (ICH10 Family) SMBus Controller
  00:1f.5 IDE interface: Intel Corporation 82801JI (ICH10 Family) 2 port SATA IDE Controller #2
  01:00.0 VGA compatible controller: nVidia Corporation GT215 [GeForce GT 240] (rev a2)
  01:00.1 Audio device: nVidia Corporation High Definition Audio Controller (rev a1)
  02:00.0 Ethernet controller: Realtek Semiconductor Co., Ltd. RTL8111/8168B PCI Express Gigabit Ethernet controller (rev 02)
  03:00.0 IDE interface: JMicron Technology Corp. JMB368 IDE controller
  05:02.0 Ethernet controller: Atheros Communications Inc. Atheros AR5001X+ Wireless Network Adapter (rev 01)

  linux-ve8c:/home/crismon # lsusb
  Bus 002 Device 001: ID 1d6b:0002 Linux Foundation 2.0 root hub
  Bus 003 Device 001: ID 1d6b:0001 Linux Foundation 1.1 root hub
  Bus 004 Device 001: ID 1d6b:0001 Linux Foundation 1.1 root hub
  Bus 005 Device 001: ID 1d6b:0001 Linux Foundation 1.1 root hub
  Bus 006 Device 001: ID 1d6b:0001 Linux Foundation 1.1 root hub
  Bus 007 Device 001: ID 1d6b:0001 Linux Foundation 1.1 root hub
  Bus 008 Device 001: ID 1d6b:0001 Linux Foundation 1.1 root hub
  Bus 001 Device 002: ID 058f:6362 Alcor Micro Corp. Flash Card Reader/Writer
  Bus 008 Device 002: ID 046d:c044 Logitech, Inc. LX3 Optical Mouse
  Bus 008 Device 003: ID 045e:00dd Microsoft Corp. Comfort Curve Keyboard 2000 V1.0
--------------------

Code:
--------------------
    dmidecode --type 4
  # dmidecode 2.11
  SMBIOS 2.5 present.

  Handle 0x0004, DMI type 4, 40 bytes
  Processor Information
  Socket Designation: LGA775
  Type: Central Processor
  Family: Core 2 Duo
  Manufacturer: Intel
  ID: 7A 06 01 00 FF FB EB BF
  Signature: Type 0, Family 6, Model 23, Stepping 10
  Flags:
  FPU (Floating-point unit on-chip)
  VME (Virtual mode extension)
  DE (Debugging extension)
  PSE (Page size extension)
  TSC (Time stamp counter)
  MSR (Model specific registers)
  PAE (Physical address extension)
  MCE (Machine check exception)
  CX8 (CMPXCHG8 instruction supported)
  APIC (On-chip APIC hardware supported)
  SEP (Fast system call)
  MTRR (Memory type range registers)
  PGE (Page global enable)
  MCA (Machine check architecture)
  CMOV (Conditional move instruction supported)
  PAT (Page attribute table)
  PSE-36 (36-bit page size extension)
  CLFSH (CLFLUSH instruction supported)
  DS (Debug store)
  ACPI (ACPI supported)
  MMX (MMX technology supported)
  FXSR (FXSAVE and FXSTOR instructions supported)
  SSE (Streaming SIMD extensions)
  SSE2 (Streaming SIMD extensions 2)
  SS (Self-snoop)
  HTT (Multi-threading)
  TM (Thermal monitor supported)
  PBE (Pending break enabled)
  Version: Intel(R) Core(TM)2 Quad CPU Q8300 @ 2.50GHz
  Voltage: 1.2 V
  External Clock: 333 MHz
  Max Speed: 3800 MHz
  Current Speed: 2333 MHz
  Upgrade: Other
  L1 Cache Handle: 0x0005
  L2 Cache Handle: 0x0006
  L3 Cache Handle: 0x0007
  Serial Number: To Be Filled By O.E.M.
  Asset Tag: To Be Filled By O.E.M.
  Part Number: To Be Filled By O.E.M.
  Core Count: 4
  Core Enabled: 4
  Thread Count: 4
  Characteristics:
  64-bit capable

--------------------

Ask me if I have to fill in details. Thank you.

--
'CrismonBlog Un Blog targato openSUSE' (http://www.crismonblog.org)
Crismon's Profile: http://forums.opensuse.org/member.php?userid=23071
View this thread: http://forums.opensuse.org/showthread.php?t=460826

0
Crismon
6/3/2011 3:36:02 PM
Crismon wrote:
> Thank you djh-novell.
>
> This is my hardware:
[snip]
> Ask me if I have to fill in details. Thank you.

Well, some basics would be nice!
- mainboard,
- disks,
- graphics

that kind of thing

0
Dave
6/3/2011 4:01:15 PM
HARD DISK:

Code:
--------------------
    hdparm -I /dev/sda

  /dev/sda:

  ATA device, with non-removable media
  Model Number:       ST31500341AS
  Serial Number:      9VS2YFFC
  Firmware Revision:  CC1H
  Transport:          Serial
  Standards:
  Used: unknown (minor revision code 0x0029)
  Supported: 8 7 6 5
  Likely used: 8
  Configuration:
  Logical         max     current
  cylinders       16383   16383
  heads           16      16
  sectors/track   63      63
  --
  CHS current addressable sectors:   16514064
  LBA    user addressable sectors:  268435455
  LBA48  user addressable sectors: 2930277168
  Logical/Physical Sector size:           512 bytes
  device size with M = 1024*1024:     1430799 MBytes
  device size with M = 1000*1000:     1500301 MBytes (1500 GB)
  cache/buffer size  = unknown
  Nominal Media Rotation Rate: 7200
  Capabilities:
  LBA, IORDY(can be disabled)
  Queue depth: 32
  Standby timer values: spec'd by Standard, no device specific minimum
  R/W multiple sector transfer: Max = 16  Current = 16
  Recommended acoustic management value: 254, current value: 0
  DMA: mdma0 mdma1 mdma2 udma0 udma1 udma2 udma3 udma4 udma5 *udma6
  Cycle time: min=120ns recommended=120ns
  PIO: pio0 pio1 pio2 pio3 pio4
  Cycle time: no flow control=120ns  IORDY flow control=120ns
  Commands/features:
  Enabled Supported:
  *    SMART feature set
  Security Mode feature set
  *    Power Management feature set
  *    Write cache
  *    Look-ahead
  *    Host Protected Area feature set
  *    WRITE_BUFFER command
  *    READ_BUFFER command
  *    DOWNLOAD_MICROCODE
  SET_MAX security extension
  Automatic Acoustic Management feature set
  *    48-bit Address feature set
  *    Device Configuration Overlay feature set
  *    Mandatory FLUSH_CACHE
  *    FLUSH_CACHE_EXT
  *    SMART error logging
  *    SMART self-test
  *    General Purpose Logging feature set
  *    WRITE_{DMA|MULTIPLE}_FUA_EXT
  *    64-bit World wide name
  Write-Read-Verify feature set
  *    WRITE_UNCORRECTABLE_EXT command
  *    {READ,WRITE}_DMA_EXT_GPL commands
  *    Segmented DOWNLOAD_MICROCODE
  *    Gen1 signaling speed (1.5Gb/s)
  *    Gen2 signaling speed (3.0Gb/s)
  *    Native Command Queueing (NCQ)
  *    Phy event counters
  Device-initiated interface power management
  *    Software settings preservation
  *    SMART Command Transport (SCT) feature set
  *    SCT Long Sector Access (AC1)
  *    SCT LBA Segment Access (AC2)
  *    SCT Error Recovery Control (AC3)
  *    SCT Features Control (AC4)
  *    SCT Data Tables (AC5)
  unknown 206[12] (vendor specific)
  Security:
  Master password revision code = 65534
  supported
  not     enabled
  not     locked
  frozen
  not     expired: security count
  supported: enhanced erase
  254min for SECURITY ERASE UNIT. 254min for ENHANCED SECURITY ERASE UNIT.
  Logical Unit WWN Device Identifier: 5000c50019cb1cbd
  NAA             : 5
  IEEE OUI        : 000c50
  Unique ID       : 019cb1cbd
  Checksum: correct

--------------------

GRAPHICS CARD

Code:
--------------------
    /sbin/lspci | grep VGA
  01:00.0 VGA compatible controller: nVidia Corporation GT215 [GeForce GT 240] (rev a2)

--------------------

--
'CrismonBlog Un Blog targato openSUSE' (http://www.crismonblog.org)
Crismon's Profile: http://forums.opensuse.org/member.php?userid=23071
View this thread: http://forums.opensuse.org/showthread.php?t=460826

0
Crismon
6/3/2011 6:06:03 PM
MOTHERBOARD?!?

Code:
--------------------
    # dmidecode 2.11
  SMBIOS 2.5 present.
  63 structures occupying 2340 bytes.
  Table at 0x000F0730.

  Handle 0x0000, DMI type 0, 24 bytes
  BIOS Information
  Vendor: American Megatrends Inc.
  Version: 0408
  Release Date: 07/20/2009
  Address: 0xF0000
  Runtime Size: 64 kB
  ROM Size: 1024 kB
  Characteristics:
  ISA is supported
  PCI is supported
  PNP is supported
  APM is supported
  BIOS is upgradeable
  BIOS shadowing is allowed
  ESCD support is available
  Boot from CD is supported
  Selectable boot is supported
  BIOS ROM is socketed
  EDD is supported
  5.25"/1.2 MB floppy services are supported (int 13h)
  3.5"/720 kB floppy services are supported (int 13h)
  3.5"/2.88 MB floppy services are supported (int 13h)
  Print screen service is supported (int 5h)
  8042 keyboard services are supported (int 9h)
  Serial services are supported (int 14h)
  Printer services are supported (int 17h)
  CGA/mono video services are supported (int 10h)
  ACPI is supported
  USB legacy is supported
  LS-120 boot is supported
  ATAPI Zip drive boot is supported
  BIOS boot specification is supported
  Targeted content distribution is supported
  BIOS Revision: 4.8

  Handle 0x0001, DMI type 1, 27 bytes
  System Information
  Manufacturer: System manufacturer
  Product Name: System Product Name
  Version: System Version
  Serial Number: System Serial Number
  UUID: 6096AE99-35BA-DE11-A9A2-90E6BA77C511
  Wake-up Type: Power Switch
  SKU Number: To Be Filled By O.E.M.
  Family: To Be Filled By O.E.M.

  Handle 0x0002, DMI type 2, 15 bytes
  Base Board Information
  Manufacturer: ASUSTeK Computer INC.
  Product Name: P5QL/EPU
  Version: Rev X.0x
  Serial Number: 102052510000144
  Asset Tag: To Be Filled By O.E.M.
  Features:
  Board is a hosting board
  Board is replaceable
  Location In Chassis: To Be Filled By O.E.M.
  Chassis Handle: 0x0003
  Type: Motherboard
  Contained Object Handles: 0

  Handle 0x0003, DMI type 3, 21 bytes
  Chassis Information
  Manufacturer: Chassis Manufacture
  Type: Desktop
  Lock: Not Present
  Version: Chassis Version
  Serial Number: Chassis Serial Number
  Asset Tag: Asset-1234567890
  Boot-up State: Safe
  Power Supply State: Safe
  Thermal State: Safe
  Security Status: None
  OEM Information: 0x00000011
  Height: Unspecified
  Number Of Power Cords: 1
  Contained Elements: 0

[...]

  Handle 0x0005, DMI type 7, 19 bytes
  Cache Information
  Socket Designation: L1-Cache
  Configuration: Enabled, Not Socketed, Level 1
  Operational Mode: Write Back
  Location: Internal
  Installed Size: 128 kB
  Maximum Size: 128 kB
  Supported SRAM Types:
  Other
  Installed SRAM Type: Other
  Speed: Unknown
  Error Correction Type: Parity
  System Type: Data
  Associativity: 8-way Set-associative

  Handle 0x0006, DMI type 7, 19 bytes
  Cache Information
  Socket Designation: L2-Cache
  Configuration: Enabled, Not Socketed, Level 2
  Operational Mode: Write Back
  Location: Internal
  Installed Size: 4096 kB
  Maximum Size: 4096 kB
  Supported SRAM Types:
  Other
  Installed SRAM Type: Other
  Speed: Unknown
  Error Correction Type: Single-bit ECC
  System Type: Unified
  Associativity: 8-way Set-associative

  Handle 0x0007, DMI type 7, 19 bytes
  Cache Information
  Socket Designation: L3-Cache
  Configuration: Disabled, Not Socketed, Level 3
  Operational Mode: Unknown
  Location: Internal
  Installed Size: 0 kB
  Maximum Size: 0 kB
  Supported SRAM Types:
  Unknown
  Installed SRAM Type: Unknown
  Speed: Unknown
  Error Correction Type: Unknown
  System Type: Unknown
  Associativity: Unknown

  Handle 0x0008, DMI type 8, 9 bytes
  Port Connector Information
  Internal Reference Designator: PS/2 Keyboard
  Internal Connector Type: None
  External Reference Designator: PS/2 Keyboard
  External Connector Type: PS/2
  Port Type: Keyboard Port

  Handle 0x0009, DMI type 8, 9 bytes
  Port Connector Information
  Internal Reference Designator: PS/2 Mouse
  Internal Connector Type: None
  External Reference Designator: PS/2 Mouse
  External Connector Type: PS/2
  Port Type: Mouse Port

  Handle 0x000A, DMI type 8, 9 bytes
  Port Connector Information
  Internal Reference Designator: USB12
  Internal Connector Type: None
  External Reference Designator: USB12
  External Connector Type: Access Bus (USB)
  Port Type: USB

  Handle 0x000B, DMI type 8, 9 bytes
  Port Connector Information
  Internal Reference Designator: USB34
  Internal Connector Type: None
  External Reference Designator: USB34
  External Connector Type: Access Bus (USB)
  Port Type: USB

  Handle 0x000C, DMI type 8, 9 bytes
  Port Connector Information
  Internal Reference Designator: USB56
  Internal Connector Type: None
  External Reference Designator: USB56
  External Connector Type: Access Bus (USB)
  Port Type: USB

  Handle 0x000D, DMI type 8, 9 bytes
  Port Connector Information
  Internal Reference Designator: GbE LAN
  Internal Connector Type: None
  External Reference Designator: GbE LAN
  External Connector Type: RJ-45
  Port Type: Network Port

  Handle 0x000E, DMI type 8, 9 bytes
  Port Connector Information
  Internal Reference Designator: COM 1
  Internal Connector Type: None
  External Reference Designator: COM 1
  External Connector Type: DB-9 male
  Port Type: Serial Port 16550A Compatible

  Handle 0x000F, DMI type 8, 9 bytes
  Port Connector Information
  Internal Reference Designator: SPDIF_OUT
  Internal Connector Type: None
  External Reference Designator: SPDIF_OUT
  External Connector Type: On Board Sound Input From CD-ROM
  Port Type: Audio Port

  Handle 0x0010, DMI type 8, 9 bytes
  Port Connector Information
  Internal Reference Designator: SPDIF_O1
  Internal Connector Type: None
  External Reference Designator: SPDIF_O1
  External Connector Type: On Board Sound Input From CD-ROM
  Port Type: Audio Port

  Handle 0x0011, DMI type 8, 9 bytes
  Port Connector Information
  Internal Reference Designator: Audio_Line In
  Internal Connector Type: None
  External Reference Designator: Audio_Line In
  External Connector Type: Mini Jack (headphones)
  Port Type: Audio Port

  Handle 0x0012, DMI type 8, 9 bytes
  Port Connector Information
  Internal Reference Designator: Audio_Line Out
  Internal Connector Type: None
  External Reference Designator: Audio_Line Out
  External Connector Type: Mini Jack (headphones)
  Port Type: Audio Port

  Handle 0x0013, DMI type 8, 9 bytes
  Port Connector Information
  Internal Reference Designator: Audio_Mic In
  Internal Connector Type: None
  External Reference Designator: Audio_Mic In
  External Connector Type: Mini Jack (headphones)
  Port Type: Audio Port

  Handle 0x0014, DMI type 8, 9 bytes
  Port Connector Information
  Internal Reference Designator: Audio_Center/LFE
  Internal Connector Type: None
  External Reference Designator: Audio_Center/LFE
  External Connector Type: Mini Jack (headphones)
  Port Type: Audio Port

  Handle 0x0015, DMI type 8, 9 bytes
  Port Connector Information
  Internal Reference Designator: Audio_Surround OUT
  Internal Connector Type: None
  External Reference Designator: Audio_Surround OUT
  External Connector Type: Mini Jack (headphones)
  Port Type: Audio Port

  Handle 0x0016, DMI type 8, 9 bytes
  Port Connector Information
  Internal Reference Designator: Audio_Surround Back
  Internal Connector Type: None
  External Reference Designator: Audio_Surround Back
  External Connector Type: Mini Jack (headphones)
  Port Type: Audio Port

  Handle 0x0017, DMI type 8, 9 bytes
  Port Connector Information
  Internal Reference Designator: LPT
  Internal Connector Type: None
  External Reference Designator: LPT 1
  External Connector Type: DB-25 male
  Port Type: Parallel Port ECP/EPP

  Handle 0x0018, DMI type 8, 9 bytes
  Port Connector Information
  Internal Reference Designator: SATA1
  Internal Connector Type: SAS/SATA Plug Receptacle
  External Reference Designator: Not Specified
  External Connector Type: None
  Port Type: SATA

  Handle 0x0019, DMI type 8, 9 bytes
  Port Connector Information
  Internal Reference Designator: SATA2
  Internal Connector Type: SAS/SATA Plug Receptacle
  External Reference Designator: Not Specified
  External Connector Type: None
  Port Type: SATA

--------------------

--
'CrismonBlog Un Blog targato openSUSE' (http://www.crismonblog.org)
Crismon's Profile: http://forums.opensuse.org/member.php?userid=23071
View this thread: http://forums.opensuse.org/showthread.php?t=460826

0
Crismon
6/3/2011 6:06:03 PM
....MOTHERBOARD?!?

Code:
--------------------
    Handle 0x001A, DMI type 8, 9 bytes
  Port Connector Information
  Internal Reference Designator: SATA3
  Internal Connector Type: SAS/SATA Plug Receptacle
  External Reference Designator: Not Specified
  External Connector Type: None
  Port Type: SATA

  Handle 0x001B, DMI type 8, 9 bytes
  Port Connector Information
  Internal Reference Designator: SATA4
  Internal Connector Type: SAS/SATA Plug Receptacle
  External Reference Designator: Not Specified
  External Connector Type: None
  Port Type: SATA

  Handle 0x001C, DMI type 8, 9 bytes
  Port Connector Information
  Internal Reference Designator: SATA5
  Internal Connector Type: SAS/SATA Plug Receptacle
  External Reference Designator: Not Specified
  External Connector Type: None
  Port Type: SATA

  Handle 0x001D, DMI type 8, 9 bytes
  Port Connector Information
  Internal Reference Designator: SATA6
  Internal Connector Type: SAS/SATA Plug Receptacle
  External Reference Designator: Not Specified
  External Connector Type: None
  Port Type: SATA

  Handle 0x001E, DMI type 8, 9 bytes
  Port Connector Information
  Internal Reference Designator: PRI_EIDE
  Internal Connector Type: SAS/SATA Plug Receptacle
  External Reference Designator: Not Specified
  External Connector Type: None
  Port Type: SATA

  Handle 0x001F, DMI type 8, 9 bytes
  Port Connector Information
  Internal Reference Designator: USB78
  Internal Connector Type: Access Bus (USB)
  External Reference Designator: Not Specified
  External Connector Type: None
  Port Type: USB

  Handle 0x0020, DMI type 8, 9 bytes
  Port Connector Information
  Internal Reference Designator: USB910
  Internal Connector Type: Access Bus (USB)
  External Reference Designator: Not Specified
  External Connector Type: None
  Port Type: USB

  Handle 0x0021, DMI type 8, 9 bytes
  Port Connector Information
  Internal Reference Designator: USB1112
  Internal Connector Type: Access Bus (USB)
  External Reference Designator: Not Specified
  External Connector Type: None
  Port Type: USB

  Handle 0x0022, DMI type 8, 9 bytes
  Port Connector Information
  Internal Reference Designator: FLOPPY
  Internal Connector Type: On Board Floppy
  External Reference Designator: Not Specified
  External Connector Type: None
  Port Type: Other

  Handle 0x0023, DMI type 8, 9 bytes
  Port Connector Information
  Internal Reference Designator: CD
  Internal Connector Type: On Board Sound Input From CD-ROM
  External Reference Designator: Not Specified
  External Connector Type: None
  Port Type: Audio Port

  Handle 0x0024, DMI type 8, 9 bytes
  Port Connector Information
  Internal Reference Designator: AAFP
  Internal Connector Type: Mini Jack (headphones)
  External Reference Designator: Not Specified
  External Connector Type: None
  Port Type: Audio Port

  Handle 0x0025, DMI type 8, 9 bytes
  Port Connector Information
  Internal Reference Designator: CPU_FAN
  Internal Connector Type: Other
  External Reference Designator: Not Specified
  External Connector Type: None
  Port Type: Other

  Handle 0x0026, DMI type 8, 9 bytes
  Port Connector Information
  Internal Reference Designator: PWR_FAN
  Internal Connector Type: Other
  External Reference Designator: Not Specified
  External Connector Type: None
  Port Type: Other

  Handle 0x0027, DMI type 8, 9 bytes
  Port Connector Information
  Internal Reference Designator: CHA_FAN
  Internal Connector Type: Other
  External Reference Designator: Not Specified
  External Connector Type: None
  Port Type: Other

  Handle 0x0028, DMI type 9, 13 bytes
  System Slot Information
  Designation: PCIEX16
  Type: 32-bit PCI Express
  Current Usage: In Use
  Length: Short
  ID: 1
  Characteristics:
  3.3 V is provided
  Opening is shared
  PME signal is supported

  Handle 0x0029, DMI type 9, 13 bytes
  System Slot Information
  Designation: PCIEX1_1
  Type: 32-bit PCI Express
  Current Usage: In Use
  Length: Short
  ID: 4
  Characteristics:
  3.3 V is provided
  Opening is shared
  PME signal is supported

  Handle 0x002A, DMI type 9, 13 bytes
  System Slot Information
  Designation: PCIEX1_2
  Type: 32-bit PCI Express
  Current Usage: Available
  Length: Short
  ID: 5
  Characteristics:
  3.3 V is provided
  Opening is shared
  PME signal is supported

  Handle 0x002B, DMI type 9, 13 bytes
  System Slot Information
  Designation: PCI_1
  Type: 32-bit PCI
  Current Usage: Available
  Length: Short
  ID: 2
  Characteristics:
  3.3 V is provided
  Opening is shared
  PME signal is supported

  Handle 0x002C, DMI type 9, 13 bytes
  System Slot Information
  Designation: PCI_2
  Type: 32-bit PCI
  Current Usage: Available
  Length: Short
  ID: 3
  Characteristics:
  3.3 V is provided
  Opening is shared
  PME signal is supported

  Handle 0x002D, DMI type 9, 13 bytes
  System Slot Information
  Designation: PCI_3
  Type: 32-bit PCI
  Current Usage: In Use
  Length: Short
  ID: 4
  Characteristics:
  3.3 V is provided
  Opening is shared
  PME signal is supported
--------------------

--
'CrismonBlog Un Blog targato openSUSE' (http://www.crismonblog.org)
Crismon's Profile: http://forums.opensuse.org/member.php?userid=23071
View this thread: http://forums.opensuse.org/showthread.php?t=460826

0
Crismon
6/3/2011 6:06:03 PM
...MOTHERBOARD?!?

Code:
--------------------
    Handle 0x002E, DMI type 10, 6 bytes
  On Board Device Information
  Type: Ethernet

  Handle 0x002F, DMI type 11, 5 bytes
  OEM Strings
  String 1: 90E6BA77C511
  String 2: To Be Filled By O.E.M.
  String 3: To Be Filled By O.E.M.
  String 4: To Be Filled By O.E.M.

  Handle 0x0030, DMI type 12, 5 bytes
  System Configuration Options
  Option 1: To Be Filled By O.E.M.

  Handle 0x0031, DMI type 13, 22 bytes
  BIOS Language Information
  Language Description Format: Abbreviated
  Installable Languages: 1
  en|US|iso8859-1
  Currently Installed Language: en|US|iso8859-1

  Handle 0x0032, DMI type 15, 55 bytes
  System Event Log
  Area Length: 1008 bytes
  Header Start Offset: 0x1010
  Data Start Offset: 0x1010
  Access Method: OEM-specific
  Access Address: Unknown
  Change Token: 0x00000000
  Header Format: No Header
  Supported Log Type Descriptors: 1
  Descriptor 1: OEM-specific
  Data Format 1: POST results bitmap

  Handle 0x0033, DMI type 16, 15 bytes
  Physical Memory Array
  Location: System Board Or Motherboard
  Use: System Memory
  Error Correction Type: None
  Maximum Capacity: 16 GB
  Error Information Handle: Not Provided
  Number Of Devices: 4

  Handle 0x0034, DMI type 19, 15 bytes
  Memory Array Mapped Address
  Starting Address: 0x00000000000
  Ending Address: 0x000FFFFFFFF
  Range Size: 4 GB
  Physical Array Handle: 0x0033
  Partition Width: 4

  Handle 0x0035, DMI type 17, 27 bytes
  Memory Device
  Array Handle: 0x0033
  Error Information Handle: Not Provided
  Total Width: 64 bits
  Data Width: 64 bits
  Size: 2048 MB
  Form Factor: DIMM
  Set: None
  Locator: DIMM0
  Bank Locator: BANK0
  Type: DDR2
  Type Detail: Synchronous
  Speed: 800 MHz
  Manufacturer: Manufacturer0
  Serial Number: SerNum0
  Asset Tag: AssetTagNum0
  Part Number: PartNum0

  Handle 0x0036, DMI type 20, 19 bytes
  Memory Device Mapped Address
  Starting Address: 0x00000000000
  Ending Address: 0x0007FFFFFFF
  Range Size: 2 GB
  Physical Device Handle: 0x0035
  Memory Array Mapped Address Handle: 0x0034
  Partition Row Position: 1
  Interleaved Data Depth: 1

  Handle 0x0037, DMI type 17, 27 bytes
  Memory Device
  Array Handle: 0x0033
  Error Information Handle: Not Provided
  Total Width: Unknown
  Data Width: Unknown
  Size: No Module Installed
  Form Factor: DIMM
  Set: None
  Locator: DIMM1
  Bank Locator: BANK1
  Type: Unknown
  Type Detail: Unknown
  Speed: Unknown
  Manufacturer: Manufacturer1
  Serial Number: SerNum1
  Asset Tag: AssetTagNum1
  Part Number: PartNum1

  Handle 0x0038, DMI type 20, 19 bytes
  Memory Device Mapped Address
  Starting Address: 0x00000000000
  Ending Address: 0x000000003FF
  Range Size: 1 kB
  Physical Device Handle: 0x0037
  Memory Array Mapped Address Handle: 0x0034
  Partition Row Position: 1
  Interleaved Data Depth: 1

  Handle 0x0039, DMI type 17, 27 bytes
  Memory Device
  Array Handle: 0x0033
  Error Information Handle: Not Provided
  Total Width: 64 bits
  Data Width: 64 bits
  Size: 2048 MB
  Form Factor: DIMM
  Set: None
  Locator: DIMM2
  Bank Locator: BANK2
  Type: DDR2
  Type Detail: Synchronous
  Speed: 800 MHz
  Manufacturer: Manufacturer2
  Serial Number: SerNum2
  Asset Tag: AssetTagNum2
  Part Number: PartNum2

  Handle 0x003A, DMI type 20, 19 bytes
  Memory Device Mapped Address
  Starting Address: 0x00084000000
  Ending Address: 0x00103FFFFFF
  Range Size: 2 GB
  Physical Device Handle: 0x0039
  Memory Array Mapped Address Handle: 0x0034
  Partition Row Position: 1
  Interleaved Data Depth: 1

  Handle 0x003B, DMI type 17, 27 bytes
  Memory Device
  Array Handle: 0x0033
  Error Information Handle: Not Provided
  Total Width: Unknown
  Data Width: Unknown
  Size: No Module Installed
  Form Factor: DIMM
  Set: None
  Locator: DIMM3
  Bank Locator: BANK3
  Type: Unknown
  Type Detail: Unknown
  Speed: Unknown
  Manufacturer: Manufacturer3
  Serial Number: SerNum3
  Asset Tag: AssetTagNum3
  Part Number: PartNum3

  Handle 0x003C, DMI type 20, 19 bytes
  Memory Device Mapped Address
  Starting Address: 0x00000000000
  Ending Address: 0x000000003FF
  Range Size: 1 kB
  Physical Device Handle: 0x003B
  Memory Array Mapped Address Handle: 0x0034
  Partition Row Position: 1
  Interleaved Data Depth: 1

  Handle 0x003D, DMI type 32, 20 bytes
  System Boot Information

  Handle 0x003E, DMI type 127, 4 bytes
  End Of Table
--------------------

--
'CrismonBlog Un Blog targato openSUSE' (http://www.crismonblog.org)
Crismon's Profile: http://forums.opensuse.org/member.php?userid=23071
View this thread: http://forums.opensuse.org/showthread.php?t=460826

0
Crismon
6/3/2011 6:06:03 PM
My motherboard is Asus p5ql/epu

--
'CrismonBlog Un Blog targato openSUSE' (http://www.crismonblog.org)
Crismon's Profile: http://forums.opensuse.org/member.php?userid=23071
View this thread: http://forums.opensuse.org/showthread.php?t=460826

0
Crismon
6/4/2011 3:06:02 PM
This is my hardware:

*CPU*: Intel(R) Core(TM)2 Quad CPU Q8300 @ 2.50GHz
*GPU*: nVidia Corporation GT215 [GeForce GT 240] (rev a2)
*Audio*: ALSA Timer Device
*Audio*: HDA NVidia (HDMI 0)
*Audio*: HDA NVidia(HDA Intel ALSA hardware specific Device)
*Audio*: HDA NVidia
*Audio*: HDA Intel (VT1708S Digital)
*Audio*: HDA Intel(HDA Intel ALSA hardware specific Device)
*Audio*: HDA Intel (VT1708S Analog)
*Audio*: ALSA Sequencer Device
*Audio*: HDA NVidia (OSS Device)
*Audio*: HDA Intel
*Rete*: Atheros AR5001X+ Wireless Network Adapter
*Rete*: Loopback device Interface
*Rete*: RTL8111/8168B PCI Express Gigabit Ethernet controller

--
'CrismonBlog Un Blog targato openSUSE' (http://www.crismonblog.org)
Crismon's Profile: http://forums.opensuse.org/member.php?userid=23071
View this thread: http://forums.opensuse.org/showthread.php?t=460826

0
Crismon
6/7/2011 4:06:03 PM
You could try reading this <http://www.halobates.de/mce.pdf>
and <http://www.halobates.de/supp-mce.pdf>

They're rather old but probably still describe the basics. In particular
you could check /var/log/mcelog and maybe /dev/mcelog
0
Dave
6/7/2011 4:20:18 PM
/var/log/mcelog does not exist

--
'CrismonBlog Un Blog targato openSUSE' (http://www.crismonblog.org)
Crismon's Profile: http://forums.opensuse.org/member.php?userid=23071
View this thread: http://forums.opensuse.org/showthread.php?t=460826

0
Crismon
6/7/2011 5:36:02 PM
Thank you djh-novell!

I can't install mcelog :S

Code:
--------------------
    linux-ve8c:/home/crismon/Scaricati # rpm -ivh mcelog-1.0pre3.6363f5b719e9-3.1.src.rpm
  1:mcelog                 ########################################### [100%]
  linux-ve8c:/home/crismon/Scaricati # /usr/sbin/mcelog --ignorenodev --filter >> /var/log/mcelog
  bash: /usr/sbin/mcelog: No such file or directory
--------------------

--
'CrismonBlog Un Blog targato openSUSE' (http://www.crismonblog.org)
Crismon's Profile: http://forums.opensuse.org/member.php?userid=23071
View this thread: http://forums.opensuse.org/showthread.php?t=460826

0
Crismon
6/7/2011 6:06:03 PM
Crismon;2350313 Wrote:
> Thank you djh-novell!
>
> I can't install mcelog :S

Code:
--------------------
  >   > linux-ve8c:/home/crismon/Scaricati # rpm -ivh mcelog-1.0pre3.6363f5b719e9-3.1.src.rpm
  > 1:mcelog                 ########################################### [100%]
  > linux-ve8c:/home/crismon/Scaricati # /usr/sbin/mcelog --ignorenodev --filter >> /var/log/mcelog
  > bash: /usr/sbin/mcelog: No such file or directory
--------------------

*UPDATE*: I have installed mcelog from source code. Now i'm waiting...

--
'CrismonBlog Un Blog targato openSUSE' (http://www.crismonblog.org)
Crismon's Profile: http://forums.opensuse.org/member.php?userid=23071
View this thread: http://forums.opensuse.org/showthread.php?t=460826

0
Crismon
6/7/2011 6:36:03 PM
This is the output of mcelog after a crash

Code:
--------------------
    tail -f /var/log/mcelog
  Error overflow
  Uncorrected error
  Error enabled
  Processor context corrupt
  MCA: BUS Level-3 Generic Generic Other-transaction Request-did-not-timeout Error
  BQ_DCU_READ_TYPE BQ_ERR_HARD_TYPE BQ_ERR_HARD_TYPE
  MCE driven
  STATUS f200000010000e0f MCGSTATUS 0
  MCGCAP 806 APICID 3 SOCKETID 0
  CPUID Vendor Intel Family 6 Model 23
--------------------

--
'CrismonBlog Un Blog targato openSUSE' (http://www.crismonblog.org)
Crismon's Profile: http://forums.opensuse.org/member.php?userid=23071
View this thread: http://forums.opensuse.org/showthread.php?t=460826

0
Crismon
6/8/2011 6:06:03 AM
I have the same kind of problem. Were you able to download a 32bit
version? When i search for mcelog-1.0pre3.6363f5b719e9-3.1.src.rpm i
only find 64 bit versions. If so, where did you find it?

Tx.,

Raphael

--
rparree
rparree's Profile: http://forums.opensuse.org/member.php?userid=45558
View this thread: http://forums.opensuse.org/showthread.php?t=460826

0
rparree
6/8/2011 9:06:02 AM
I will open a new post.... sorry

--
rparree
rparree's Profile: http://forums.opensuse.org/member.php?userid=45558
View this thread: http://forums.opensuse.org/showthread.php?t=460826

0
rparree
6/8/2011 10:06:03 AM
Crismon wrote:
> This is the output of mcelog after a crash
>

> Code:
> --------------------
>     tail -f /var/log/mcelog
>   Error overflow
>   Uncorrected error
>   Error enabled
>   Processor context corrupt
>   MCA: BUS Level-3 Generic Generic Other-transaction Request-did-not-timeout Error
>   BQ_DCU_READ_TYPE BQ_ERR_HARD_TYPE BQ_ERR_HARD_TYPE
>   MCE driven
>   STATUS f200000010000e0f MCGSTATUS 0
>   MCGCAP 806 APICID 3 SOCKETID 0
>   CPUID Vendor Intel Family 6 Model 23
> --------------------

I don't know anything about MCEs, so I'm not sure I'm reading it right,
but that looks like a CPU error. If so, I'd think you'd have more luck
asking your question on an Intel forum.
0
Dave
6/8/2011 10:26:47 AM
I tried to do the memory test whith MeMtest86+ but no errors found.
Now I try to stress the CPU with cpuburn (After 15 minutes no problem)

'[image: http://img803.imageshack.us/img803/9821/aaaaaaaaak.th.jpg]'
(http://img803.imageshack.us/i/aaaaaaaaak.jpg/)

--
'CrismonBlog Un Blog targato openSUSE' (http://www.crismonblog.org)
Crismon's Profile: http://forums.opensuse.org/member.php?userid=23071
View this thread: http://forums.opensuse.org/showthread.php?t=460826

0
Crismon
6/8/2011 4:36:03 PM
After 30 minutes there was the freezing of the system. :/
I try to contact intel

--
'CrismonBlog Un Blog targato openSUSE' (http://www.crismonblog.org)
Crismon's Profile: http://forums.opensuse.org/member.php?userid=23071
View this thread: http://forums.opensuse.org/showthread.php?t=460826

0
Crismon
6/8/2011 5:36:02 PM
This is the complete log of mcelog:

Code:
--------------------
    mcelog: failed to prefill DIMM database from DMI data
  Kernel does not support page offline interface
  mcelog: mcelog read: No such device
  Hardware event. This is not a software error.
  MCE 0
  CPU 0 BANK 0
  TIME 1307557405 Wed Jun  8 20:23:25 2011
  MCG status:
  MCi status:
  Error overflow
  Uncorrected error
  Error enabled
  Processor context corrupt
  MCA: BUS Level-0 Local-CPU-originated-request Generic Memory-access Request-did-not-timeout Error
  BQ_DCU_READ_TYPE BQ_ERR_HARD_TYPE BQ_ERR_HARD_TYPE
  timeout BINIT (ROB timeout). No micro-instruction retired for some time
  STATUS f200004000000800 MCGSTATUS 0
  MCGCAP 806 APICID 0 SOCKETID 0
  CPUID Vendor Intel Family 6 Model 23
  Hardware event. This is not a software error.
  MCE 1
  CPU 0 BANK 5
  TIME 1307557405 Wed Jun  8 20:23:25 2011
  MCG status:
  MCi status:
  Error overflow
  Uncorrected error
  Error enabled
  Processor context corrupt
  MCA: BUS Level-3 Generic Generic Other-transaction Request-did-not-timeout Error
  BQ_DCU_READ_TYPE BQ_ERR_AERR2_TYPE BQ_ERR_AERR2_TYPE
  received parity error on response transaction
  MCE driven
  STATUS f200001014000e0f MCGSTATUS 0
  MCGCAP 806 APICID 0 SOCKETID 0
  CPUID Vendor Intel Family 6 Model 23
  Hardware event. This is not a software error.
  MCE 2
  CPU 1 BANK 5
  TIME 1307557405 Wed Jun  8 20:23:25 2011
  MCG status:
  MCi status:
  Error overflow
  Uncorrected error
  Error enabled
  Processor context corrupt
  MCA: BUS Level-3 Generic Generic Other-transaction Request-did-not-timeout Error
  BQ_DCU_READ_TYPE BQ_ERR_HARD_TYPE BQ_ERR_HARD_TYPE
  received parity error on response transaction
  MCE driven MCE is observed
  STATUS f200001030000e0f MCGSTATUS 0
  MCGCAP 806 APICID 1 SOCKETID 0
  CPUID Vendor Intel Family 6 Model 23
  Hardware event. This is not a software error.
  MCE 3
  CPU 2 BANK 0
  TIME 1307557405 Wed Jun  8 20:23:25 2011
  MCG status:
  MCi status:
  Error overflow
  Uncorrected error
  Error enabled
  Processor context corrupt
  MCA: BUS Level-0 Local-CPU-originated-request Generic Memory-access Request-did-not-timeout Error
  BQ_DCU_READ_TYPE BQ_ERR_HARD_TYPE BQ_ERR_HARD_TYPE
  timeout BINIT (ROB timeout). No micro-instruction retired for some time
  STATUS f200004000000800 MCGSTATUS 0
  MCGCAP 806 APICID 2 SOCKETID 0
  CPUID Vendor Intel Family 6 Model 23
  Hardware event. This is not a software error.
  MCE 4
  CPU 2 BANK 5
  TIME 1307557405 Wed Jun  8 20:23:25 2011
  MCG status:
  MCi status:
  Error overflow
  Uncorrected error
  Error enabled
  Processor context corrupt
  MCA: BUS Level-3 Generic Generic Other-transaction Request-did-not-timeout Error
  BQ_DCU_READ_TYPE BQ_ERR_AERR2_TYPE BQ_ERR_AERR2_TYPE
  MCE driven
  STATUS f200000014000e0f MCGSTATUS 0
  MCGCAP 806 APICID 2 SOCKETID 0
  CPUID Vendor Intel Family 6 Model 23
  Hardware event. This is not a software error.
  MCE 5
  CPU 3 BANK 5
  TIME 1307557405 Wed Jun  8 20:23:25 2011
  MCG status:
  MCi status:
  Error overflow
  Uncorrected error
  Error enabled
  Processor context corrupt
  MCA: BUS Level-3 Generic Generic Other-transaction Request-did-not-timeout Error
  BQ_DCU_READ_TYPE BQ_ERR_HARD_TYPE BQ_ERR_HARD_TYPE
  MCE driven MCE is observed
  STATUS f200000030000e0f MCGSTATUS 0
  MCGCAP 806 APICID 3 SOCKETID 0
  CPUID Vendor Intel Family 6 Model 23

With Ubuntu you encounter the same problem (Freezing) With Windows and
Intel® Processor Diagnostic Tool the problem has never occurred