how to mount a EXT4 filesystem writable?

Hi every body,

I have a SD-Card formatted with EXT4, the problem is that only root can
write in it and I don't know how to mount it so that my regular user can
write in it too,

this is how I'm mounting it

Code:
--------------------
    /dev/disk/by-id/usb-Generic-_Multi-Card_20090516388200000-0:0-part1 /mnt/SD-Card ext4 noatime,user,noauto,rw,data=writeback,acl,user_xattr,suid,dev,exec 0 0
--------------------

and this is the mounting point

Code:
--------------------
    drwsrwxrwx  2 root users 4.0K Apr  8 14:04 /mnt/SD-Card
--------------------

so the one million dollars question is, what am I doing wrong? or how
may i fix it?

thanks in advance!

--
juanp_1982

juanp
4/8/2012 7:16:02 PM
opensuse.org.help.hardware 8187 articles. 0 followers. Follow

On 04/08/2012 02:16 PM, juanp 1982 wrote:

> Hi every body,
>
> I have a SD-Card formatted with EXT4, the problem is that only root can
> write in it and I don't know how to mount it so that my regular user can
> write in it too,
>
> this is how I'm mounting it
>

> Code:
> --------------------
>      /dev/disk/by-id/usb-Generic-_Multi-Card_20090516388200000-0:0-part1 /mnt/SD-Card ext4 noatime,user,noauto,rw,data=writeback,acl,user_xattr,suid,dev,exec 0 0
> --------------------
>

> and this is the mounting point
>

> Code:
> --------------------
>      drwsrwxrwx  2 root users 4.0K Apr  8 14:04 /mnt/SD-Card
> --------------------
>

> so the one million dollars question is, what am I doing wrong? or how
> may i fix it?

You need to set the permissions on the mount directory (/mnt/SD-Card) to allow
some other user than root to have write access. If you want ALL users to be able
to write, then 'sudo chmod 777 /mnt/SD-Card' will do. If you want only some
users to have access, then use 'chown' to change the owner group of the
directory to some special group, and then add the users you wish to have write
access to that group.

0
Larry
4/8/2012 7:24:46 PM
On 2012-04-08 21:16, juanp 1982 wrote:

> so the one million dollars question is, what am I doing wrong? or how
> may i fix it?

chown it to your user.

You might also consider to remove the journal to avoid excessive wear.

--
Cheers / Saludos,

		Carlos E. R.
		(from 11.4 x86_64 "Celadon" at Telcontar)
0
Carlos
4/8/2012 7:33:06 PM
Hi lwfinger

I did that, pay attention to my first post in the second line of "code"

that folder belong to the users group and has 777 permissions and still
not working :-( :'(

--
juanp_1982
juanp_1982's Profile: http://forums.opensuse.org/member.php?userid=15314

0
juanp
4/8/2012 7:36:02 PM
Hi robin_listas !

I changed the owner's folder to my regular user now it looks like
this:

Code:
--------------------
    4.0K drwsrwxrwx  2 jpmolinamatute users 4.0K Apr  8 14:04 SD-Card
--------------------

however after mounting the SD-Card it looks like this:

Code:
--------------------
    4.0K drwxr-xr-x  3 root root  4.0K Apr  8 14:04 SD-Card
--------------------
**

**I just realized that.

--
juanp_1982
juanp_1982's Profile: http://forums.opensuse.org/member.php?userid=15314
View this thread: http://forums.opensuse.org/showthread.php?t=474225

0
juanp
4/8/2012 8:06:03 PM
On 2012-04-08 21:36, juanp 1982 wrote:

> Hi lwfinger
>
> I did that, pay attention to my first post in the second line of "code"
>
> that folder belong to the users group and has 777 permissions and still
> not working :-( :'(

Mmm.

In CLI, change to that folder and create a file as user (touch filename).
Also do an "ls -l". Put the commands and the response here. Lets see if we
can see what is wrong. Ah, try also "groups".

--
Cheers / Saludos,

		Carlos E. R.
		(from 11.4 x86_64 "Celadon" at Telcontar)
0
Carlos
4/8/2012 8:08:06 PM
Hi robin_listas,

Code:
--------------------
    [04:24 PM jpmolinamatute@Goku:/mnt/SD-Card]=> touch myfile
  touch: cannot touch `myfile': Permission denied
--------------------

Code:
--------------------
    [04:26 PM jpmolinamatute@Goku:/mnt/SD-Card]=> ls -l
  total 16
  drwx------ 2 root root 16384 Apr  8 14:04 lost+found
--------------------

--
juanp_1982
juanp_1982's Profile: http://forums.opensuse.org/member.php?userid=15314
View this thread: http://forums.opensuse.org/showthread.php?t=474225

0
juanp
4/8/2012 8:36:02 PM
On 2012-04-08 22:06, juanp 1982 wrote

> **I just realized that.

Ah, but you have to do it while mounted.

--
Cheers / Saludos,

		Carlos E. R.
		(from 11.4 x86_64 "Celadon" at Telcontar)
0
Carlos
4/8/2012 8:38:05 PM
it works!!!!

Gracias!!!!

--
juanp_1982
juanp_1982's Profile: http://forums.opensuse.org/member.php?userid=15314
View this thread: http://forums.opensuse.org/showthread.php?t=474225

0
juanp
4/8/2012 8:56:02 PM
On 2012-04-08 22:56, juanp 1982 wrote:

> it works!!!!
>
> Gracias!!!!

De nada :-)

--
Cheers / Saludos,

		Carlos E. R.
		(from 11.4 x86_64 "Celadon" at Telcontar)
0
Carlos

Help Help Help Help Help Help

HELP!HELP!HELP!HELP!HELP!HELP!

Help Help Help Help

help help help help

HELP HELP HELP
Hey all I ahve absolutely no idea where to start with DotNETNuke. I have downloaded and installed DNN3.2.2 and I now want to start creating my website with the help of DNN. I'm using .NET framework 1.1 and Visual Studio 2003. How do I go about starting a new webpage and using the DNN functionality to make manage my content?Thank you Have you installed DNN, yet? Either way, download the docs and go over the ones that you need help with. That's the best place to start. You can also find tutorials online that might be helpful.Michael Flanakin | Microsoft Consulting Serviceswww.michaelflanakin...

help! help! help!
I got such errors while installing a new replication server,please help me !Thanks a lot. T. 2003/05/29 14:21:24. (-1): Hardware Exception: c0000005, EXCEPTION_ACCESS_VIOLATION T. 2003/05/29 14:21:24. (-1): Thread GLOBAL RS(GLOBAL RS) infected with signal -1073741819 T. 2003/05/29 14:21:24. (-1): ***************STACK TRACE*************** T. 2003/05/29 14:21:24. (-1): *****thread GLOBAL RS(GLOBAL RS)******* T. 2003/05/29 14:21:24. (-1): unknown function 0x0038c559 () T. 2003/05/29 14:21:24. (-1): unknown function 0x0038bb65 () T. 2003/05/29 14:21:24. (-1): pc: 0x00468934, err_h...

HELP, HELP, HELP
What am I doing WRONG #!/usr/bin/perl -w # # Consilta.cgi # push(@INC,"/var/www/cgi-bin/"); require("cgi-lib.pl"); $|=1; #use strict; use DBI; use CGI; sub avisa_y_salte { my $error = "@_"; print &PrintHeader; print "<h1>Error Inesperado</h1>"; print "<p>$error</p>"; print &HtmlBot; die $DBI::errstr; } my $version="V.20.01"; my $registro="<CENTER><H5><I>Consulta Ciudadana $version 2001. <A HREF=\"mailto:a...

HELP HELP HELP
i need help, i use an dbmaker 3.0 server and now i want to use an client to go on it but i dont have an client(i have dbmaker 3.6 but it don't work) who can help me with the dbmaker 3.0 client (tools,files,drivers) email me kelly.kloen@siteways.nl ...

HELP HELP HELP
I need EAS 3.0.1 mantainance as soon as possible or at least an updated datawindow.jar. I've already asked the mantainance CD to italian Sybase support but they know nothing about it. If someone from sybase could send me an updated datawindow.jar would be very very appreciated. Please email me to m.mazza@ads.it Thank you Mauro Mazza Research & Develop - Gruppo FINMATICA E-mail: m.mazza@ads.it http://www.ads.it ADS automated data systems - Data Processing S.p.A. Via Del Lavoro, 17 40127 Bologna - Italy tel. +39 051 6307 411 fax. +39 051 6307 498 We expect t...

help help help
i wanna know the list of compite time errors related to code correction/programming errors in powerbuilder.thanks lot cenk That's a pretty big request. You want a list of everything it is possible to do wrong in PowerBuilder? What you might want to do is search the solved cases infobase on the Sybase web site. On Tue, 15 Jun 1999 11:50:32 +0300, in powersoft.public.powerbuilder.general cenk KIZILDAG <cenk1536@yahoo.com> wrote: >i wanna know the list of compite time errors related to code >correction/programming errors in powerbuilder.thanks lot > >c...

Help!help!help!
Whether can I set a window to be unmoveable when the application is run,whatever the window is normal or max when it's running?If it may be set,how.... ...

Help Help Help
How to send a form data to mail by onclick action of Submit button. By using vbscript (using ADODB) in ASP Try this page: http://www.systemnetmail.com/faq/3.4.1.aspx I have found a lot of help from it.Click on 'Mark as Answer' if this post is helpful.-- Randy...

HELP, HELP, HELP!!!!
can't Install dbd for postgreSQL someboy can help, Me How about some code. Do you have the DBD::pg installed? Send in you code so we can help. Ilya Sterin -----Original Message----- From: aguztyn@cancun.com.mx [mailto:aguztyn@cancun.com.mx] Sent: Monday, April 02, 2001 4:45 PM To: dbi-users@perl.org Subject: HELP, HELP, HELP!!!! can't Install dbd for postgreSQL someboy can help, Me ...

help help help
Name: bryon Email: bryonbattampabaydotrrdotcom Product: Thunderbird Summary: help help help Comments: why can't i go into the address book and create a new contact with all the information. the screen does not scroll down to the phone numbers section to allow me to enter it, this is with a few of the application that wont allow me to scroll down and finish inserting information needed. please help Browser Details: Mozilla/5.0 (X11; U; Linux i686; en-US; rv:1.8.1.9) Gecko/20071025 Firefox/2.0.0.9 ...

Web resources about - how to mount a EXT4 filesystem writable? - opensuse.org.help.hardware

Filesystem in Userspace - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia
Filesystem in Userspace ( FUSE ) is an operating system mechanism for Unix-like computer operating systems that lets non-privileged users create ...

Under the Hood: Hadoop Distributed Filesystem reliability with Namenode and Avatarnode - Facebook
Facebook Engineering hat eine Notiz mit dem Titel Under the Hood: Hadoop Distributed Filesystem reliability with Namenode and Avatarnode geschrieben. ...

XFS: Recent and Future Adventures in Filesystem Scalability - Dave Chinner - YouTube
Filesystems are being asked to scale to larger configurations every week. They need to store more files, larger amounts of data and be able to ...

Former Google engineer revs up a new Linux filesystem
An ex-Googler is writing a file system, Bcachefs, to match the speed of traditional Linux file systems with the advanced scalability and reliability ...

Bitrot and atomic COWs: Inside “next-gen” filesystems
Most people don't care much about their filesystems. But at the end of the day, the filesystem is probably the single most important part of ...

Bcachefs is a new speed-focus Linux filesystem from Kent Overstreet
... Kent Overstreet a little over five years ago. Now the Linux kernel block layer cache is being used as the basis for a new open source filesystem. ...

Filesystem Metadata Doesn't Scale
Metadata tucked away inside a binary file.. isn't. But Windows Media Player doesn't care a whit about my painstakingly constructed file names ...

iPhone Hackers: "we have owned the filesystem"
The kooky hacking kids over at IRC channel #iphone claim to have gained full ownership of the iPhone filesystem. In an update titled 'How to ...

Red Hat Releases RHEL 7 With New Filesystem, Docker Support
After three and a half years in development, a major milestone update for Red Hat Enterprise Linux, Red Hat's flagship Linux platform, debuts. ...

Filesystem Guide · kripken/emscripten Wiki · GitHub
emscripten - Emscripten: An LLVM-to-JavaScript Compiler