HELP! Linux is hogging my hard drive!

I have only recently installed open SUSE 11.3 and i would like to point
out that i am totally new to this OS so please forgive me if i don�t
understand your answer. During instillation i ticked a box saying that
Linux could use the whole of my D:\ drive not knowing that by doing this
i effectively wiped it therefore losing quite a few of my files >:(. Is
there any way i could make it so that the drive can be accessed by my
Windows OS and my Linux OS? Thank you in advance.

--
Beep06

Beep06
9/18/2010 10:36:02 AM
opensuse.org.help.hardware 8187 articles. 0 followers. Follow

Beep06 wrote:
> I have only recently installed open SUSE 11.3 and i would like to point
> out that i am totally new to this OS so please forgive me if i don't
> understand your answer. During instillation i ticked a box saying that
> Linux could use the whole of my D:\ drive not knowing that by doing this
> i effectively wiped it therefore losing quite a few of my files >:(. Is
> there any way i could make it so that the drive can be accessed by my
> Windows OS and my Linux OS? Thank you in advance.

by ticking that box allowing Linux to use *all* of D:\ it installed a
Linux file system on the whole drive..

it probably installed a file system named "ext4" which windows has no
idea how to use in any way..

so, no you can not give windows access to that drive...windows can't
even see it has anything on it, or not..[no Windows has any access to
any non-Windows file system, because they do not want you using
anything else, ever.]

what you should have done during install was NOT tell Linux it could
have the entire drive--then, it would have come up with a dual boot
plan (for you to approve, as you did the one you have) using only
*part* of that (or some other) drive to install the Linux operating
and file systems..

then AFTER the install you would have still had all the previous files
on the existing Windows file system which you could have allowed Linux
to also use (because Linux can use all Windows file systems)..

--
DenverD
DenverD
DenverD wrote:
> so, no you can not give windows access to that drive...windows can't
> even see it has anything on it, or not..

i failed to mention: if you want to turn your D drive into one usable
by both systems, you will need to use a partitioner shrink the Linux
partitions, and build a windows partition that both could use..

you will find a lot of help here: http://tinyurl.com/d7343t

and, question you might have on repartitioning are best asked in the
install/boot/login forum..

by the way, it is always best to backup important files prior to doing
_any_ partitioning....and, if you are unclear on what to do during the
partitioning process is it always best to ask _before_ clicking to see
what happens..

--
DenverD
DenverD
On 2010-09-18 12:36, Beep06 wrote:

> I have only recently installed open SUSE 11.3 and i would like to point
> out that i am totally new to this OS so please forgive me if i don�t
> understand your answer. During instillation i ticked a box saying that
> Linux could use the whole of my D:\ drive not knowing that by doing this
> i effectively wiped it therefore losing quite a few of my files >:(. Is
> there any way i could make it so that the drive can be accessed by my
> Windows OS and my Linux OS? Thank you in advance.

I think it didn't say "D:" drive, as in linux we don't use that nomenclature. It would have said
"entire disk" or "entire drive", and that is the entire disk, the whole of it, meaning destroy
anything already there. You destroyed Windows and everything else that might have been there.

When you install any operating system you have to be very careful with what you do. If you make
mistakes you risk your data - so better have backups.

Notice that in windows "D: drive" is really a partition of a disk drive. In linux a "drive" is the
entire disk, that is, a "drive", a real drive, not a part of it.

--
Cheers / Saludos,

		Carlos E. R.
		(from 11.2 x86_64 "Emerald" GM (Minas Tirith))
0
Carlos