configuring the intel graphics driver

I could use a bit of help here.

My system occasionally, not often, but enough to bring me to do
something about it, keeps freezing. Hard lock-ups. This is a known bug
for openSUSE 11.3 and intel video cards. So, I tried some suggestions
and updated my kernel to 2.6.35. Nope. Same prob. I updated Xorg, mesa,
drm, cairo (had to go to Factory for that one). I finally got all the
requirements met as listed on   'Intel Linux Graphics: 2010Q2'
(http://intellinuxgraphics.org/2010Q2.html) and I download the intel 2d
driver, since it's newer than what comes with openSUSE, even in Factory
(xorg-x11-driver-video-intel-legacy 2.9.1).

Now, when I go to compile the driver, it errors out on ./configure.
Normally, I can resolve some of this, as most of the time it's
dependencies, but that's not the issue here. It's the flags. So maybe
someone can help me out a bit.

Code:
--------------------
    ./configure build=/etc/X11/xorg.conf.d
  checking for gawk... gawk
  checking for gcc... gcc
  checking for suffix of executables...
  checking whether gcc accepts -g... yes
  checking for gcc option to accept ISO C99... -std=gnu99
  checking how to run the C preprocessor... gcc -std=gnu99 -E
  checking for grep that handles long lines and -e... /usr/bin/grep
  checking for egrep... /usr/bin/grep -E
  checking for ANSI C header files... yes
  checking for sys/types.h... yes
  checking for sys/stat.h... yes
  checking for stdlib.h... yes
  checking for string.h... yes
  checking for memory.h... yes
  checking for strings.h... yes
  checking for inttypes.h... yes
  checking for stdint.h... yes
  checking for unistd.h... yes
  checking build system type... x86_64-unknown-linux-gnu
  checking host system type... x86_64-unknown-linux-gnu
  checking for a sed that does not truncate output... /usr/bin/sed
  checking for a sed that does not truncate output... (cached) /usr/bin/sed
  checking for fgrep... /usr/bin/grep -F
  checking for ld used by gcc -std=gnu99... /usr/x86_64-suse-linux/bin/ld
  checking if the linker (/usr/x86_64-suse-linux/bin/ld) is GNU ld... yes
  checking for BSD- or MS-compatible name lister (nm)... /usr/bin/nm -B
  checking the name lister (/usr/bin/nm -B) interface... BSD nm
  checking whether ln -s works... yes
  checking the maximum length of command line arguments... 1572864
  checking whether the shell understands some XSI constructs... yes
  checking whether the shell understands "+="... yes
  checking for /usr/x86_64-suse-linux/bin/ld option to reload object files... -r
  checking for objdump... objdump
  checking how to recognize dependent libraries... pass_all
  checking for ar... ar
  checking for strip... strip
  checking for ranlib... ranlib
  checking command to parse /usr/bin/nm -B output from gcc -std=gnu99 object... ok
  checking for dlfcn.h... yes
  checking for objdir... .libs
  checking if gcc -std=gnu99 supports -fno-rtti -fno-exceptions... no
  checking for gcc -std=gnu99 option to produce PIC... -fPIC -DPIC
  checking if gcc -std=gnu99 PIC flag -fPIC -DPIC works... yes
  checking if gcc -std=gnu99 static flag -static works... yes
  checking if gcc -std=gnu99 supports -c -o file.o... yes
  checking if gcc -std=gnu99 supports -c -o file.o... (cached) yes
  checking whether the gcc -std=gnu99 linker (/usr/x86_64-suse-linux/bin/ld -m elf_x86_64) supports shared libraries... yes
  checking whether -lc should be explicitly linked in... no
  checking dynamic linker characteristics... GNU/Linux ld.so
  checking whether to build static libraries... no
  checking for gcc... (cached) gcc
  checking whether we are using the GNU C compiler... (cached) yes
  checking for gcc option to accept ISO C89... (cached) none needed
  checking dependency style of gcc... (cached) gcc3
  checking whether gcc and cc understand -c and -o together... yes
  checking for GEN4ASM... no
  checking for ANSI C header files... (cached) yes
  checking sys/mman.h usability... yes
  checking sys/mman.h presence... yes
  checking for sys/mman.h... yes
  checking for mprotect... yes
  checking if RANDR is defined... no
  checking if RENDER is defined... no
  checking if XF86DRI is defined... no
  checking if DPMSExtension is defined... no
  checking for XORG... configure: error: Package requirements (xorg-server >= 1.6 xproto fontsproto ) were not met:

  *No package 'xorg-server' found

  Alternatively, you may set the environment variables XORG_CFLAGS
  and XORG_LIBS to avoid the need to call pkg-config.
  See the pkg-config man page for more details.*

--------------------
 Now the part in red is what gets me. So I looked at the ./configure
--help.

Code:
--------------------
    ./configure --help`configure' configures xf86-video-intel 2.12.0 to adapt to many kinds of systems.

  Usage: ./configure [OPTION]... [VAR=VALUE]...

  To assign environment variables (e.g., CC, CFLAGS...), specify them as
  VAR=VALUE.  See below for descriptions of some of the useful variables.

  Defaults for the options are specified in brackets.

  Configuration:
  -h, --help              display this help and exit
  --help=short        display options specific to this package
  --help=recursive    display the short help of all the included packages
  -V, --version           display version information and exit
  -q, --quiet, --silent   do not print `checking...' messages
  --cache-file=FILE   cache test results in FILE [disabled]
  -C, --config-cache      alias for `--cache-file=config.cache'
  -n, --no-create         do not create output files
  --srcdir=DIR        find the sources in DIR [configure dir or `..']

  Installation directories:
  --prefix=PREFIX         install architecture-independent files in PREFIX
  [/usr/local]
  --exec-prefix=EPREFIX   install architecture-dependent files in EPREFIX
  [PREFIX]

  By default, `make install' will install all the files in
  `/usr/local/bin', `/usr/local/lib' etc.  You can specify
  an installation prefix other than `/usr/local' using `--prefix',
  for instance `--prefix=$HOME'.

  For better control, use the options below.

  Fine tuning of the installation directories:
  --bindir=DIR            user executables [EPREFIX/bin]
  --sbindir=DIR           system admin executables [EPREFIX/sbin]
  --libexecdir=DIR        program executables [EPREFIX/libexec]
  --sysconfdir=DIR        read-only single-machine data [PREFIX/etc]
  --sharedstatedir=DIR    modifiable architecture-independent data [PREFIX/com]
  --localstatedir=DIR     modifiable single-machine data [PREFIX/var]
  --libdir=DIR            object code libraries [EPREFIX/lib]
  --includedir=DIR        C header files [PREFIX/include]
  --oldincludedir=DIR     C header files for non-gcc [/usr/include]
  --datarootdir=DIR       read-only arch.-independent data root [PREFIX/share]
  --datadir=DIR           read-only architecture-independent data [DATAROOTDIR]
  --infodir=DIR           info documentation [DATAROOTDIR/info]
  --localedir=DIR         locale-dependent data [DATAROOTDIR/locale]
  --mandir=DIR            man documentation [DATAROOTDIR/man]
  --docdir=DIR            documentation root
  [DATAROOTDIR/doc/xf86-video-intel]
  --htmldir=DIR           html documentation [DOCDIR]
  --dvidir=DIR            dvi documentation [DOCDIR]
  --pdfdir=DIR            pdf documentation [DOCDIR]
  --psdir=DIR             ps documentation [DOCDIR]

  Program names:
  --program-prefix=PREFIX            prepend PREFIX to installed program names
  --program-suffix=SUFFIX            append SUFFIX to installed program names
  --program-transform-name=PROGRAM   run sed PROGRAM on installed program names

  System types:
  --build=BUILD     configure for building on BUILD [guessed]
  --host=HOST       cross-compile to build programs to run on HOST [BUILD]

  Optional Features:
  --disable-option-checking  ignore unrecognized --enable/--with options
  --disable-FEATURE       do not include FEATURE (same as --enable-FEATURE=no)
  --enable-FEATURE[=ARG]  include FEATURE [ARG=yes]
  --enable-maintainer-mode  enable make rules and dependencies not useful
  (and sometimes confusing) to the casual installer
  --disable-dependency-tracking  speeds up one-time build
  --enable-dependency-tracking   do not reject slow dependency extractors
  --enable-strict-compilation
  Enable all warnings from compiler and make them
  errors (default: disabled)
  --enable-silent-rules          less verbose build output (undo: `make V=1')
  --disable-silent-rules         verbose build output (undo: `make V=0')
  --enable-static[=PKGS]  build static libraries [default=no]
  --enable-shared[=PKGS]  build shared libraries [default=yes]
  --enable-fast-install[=PKGS]
  optimize for fast installation [default=yes]
  --disable-libtool-lock  avoid locking (might break parallel builds)
  --disable-dri           Disable DRI support [[default=auto]]
  --enable-video-debug    Enable video debugging support [[default=no]]
  --disable-xvmc          Disable XvMC support [[default=yes]]
  --enable-kms-only       Assume KMS support [[default=no]]

  Optional Packages:
  --with-PACKAGE[=ARG]    use PACKAGE [ARG=yes]
  --without-PACKAGE       do not use PACKAGE (same as --with-PACKAGE=no)
  --with-pic              try to use only PIC/non-PIC objects [default=use
  both]
  --with-gnu-ld           assume the C compiler uses GNU ld [default=no]
  --with-xorg-module-dir=DIR
  Default xorg module directory
  [[default=$libdir/xorg/modules]]

  Some influential environment variables:
  CC          C compiler command
  CFLAGS      C compiler flags
  LDFLAGS     linker flags, e.g. -L<lib dir> if you have libraries in a
  nonstandard directory <lib dir>
  LIBS        libraries to pass to the linker, e.g. -l<library>
  CPPFLAGS    (Objective) C/C++ preprocessor flags, e.g. -I<include dir> if
  you have headers in a nonstandard directory <include dir>
  CPP         C preprocessor
  PKG_CONFIG  path to pkg-config utility
  GEN4ASM_CFLAGS
  C compiler flags for GEN4ASM, overriding pkg-config
  GEN4ASM_LIBS
  linker flags for GEN4ASM, overriding pkg-config
  XORG_CFLAGS C compiler flags for XORG, overriding pkg-config
  XORG_LIBS   linker flags for XORG, overriding pkg-config
  DRM_CFLAGS  C compiler flags for DRM, overriding pkg-config
  DRM_LIBS    linker flags for DRM, overriding pkg-config
  PCIACCESS_CFLAGS
  C compiler flags for PCIACCESS, overriding pkg-config
  PCIACCESS_LIBS
  linker flags for PCIACCESS, overriding pkg-config
  XEXT_CFLAGS C compiler flags for XEXT, overriding pkg-config
  XEXT_LIBS   linker flags for XEXT, overriding pkg-config
  DRI_CFLAGS  C compiler flags for DRI, overriding pkg-config
  DRI_LIBS    linker flags for DRI, overriding pkg-config
  XVMCLIB_CFLAGS
  C compiler flags for XVMCLIB, overriding pkg-config
  XVMCLIB_LIBS
  linker flags for XVMCLIB, overriding pkg-config

  Use these variables to override the choices made by `configure' or to help
  it to find libraries and programs with nonstandard names/locations.

  Report bugs to <https://bugs.freedesktop.org/enter_bug.cgi?product=xorg>.

--------------------

This is what I have to work with. Basically, it doesn't know where
xorg-server is.

Code:
--------------------
    zypper se xorg-x11-server
  Reading installed packages...

  S | Name                            | Summary                            | Type
  --+---------------------------------+------------------------------------+-----------
  i | xorg-x11-server                 | X.Org Server                       | package
  | xorg-x11-server                 | X.Org Server                       | srcpackage
  | xorg-x11-server-debuginfo       | Debug information for package xo-> | package
  | xorg-x11-server-debugsource     | Debug sources for package xorg-x-> | package
  i | xorg-x11-server-extra           | Additional Xservers (Xdmx, Xephy-> | package
  | xorg-x11-server-extra-debuginfo | Debug information for package xo-> | package
  | xorg-x11-server-sdk             | X.Org Server SDK                   | package
--------------------

As you can see, I have it installed. Now how do I let this intel driver
package know where xorg-server is?

--
Jonathan_R

Jonathan
8/24/2010 6:36:02 AM
opensuse.org.help.hardware 8187 articles. 0 followers. Follow

view my solution on this thread:
http://forums.opensuse.org/english/get-help-here/laptop/443924-acer-aspire-5720z-problem.html

maybe it works for you too
0
VampirD
8/24/2010 11:42:52 AM
VampirD;2211292 Wrote:
> view my solution on this thread:
> 'acer aspire 5720z problem' (http://tinyurl.com/2ewb7lf)
>
> maybe it works for you too
Thank you. It pointed me in the right direction. I was also talking
with the developers in #intel-gfx as well.
Here is what I worked out. For 50-device.conf, I used
Code:
--------------------

  Section "Device"
  Identifier "Default Device"
  Driver "intel"
  EndSection
--------------------

The developers in #intel-gfx think that our xorg-x11-intel-legacy fork
maybe causing the problem.
I also backed down my xorg, to what came with 11.3, and added the devel
packages.
I was then able to compile the xf86-video-intel-2.12.0 driver and
verified that that is what I am running.
The way to verify it is in Xorg.0.log. [    24.219]  compiled for
1.8.0, module version = 2.12.0 As you can see, I have 2.12.0 running.
I'd like to make an rpm for the xf86-video-intel-2.12.0 driver. Get it
up in the build service. Here is a spec file I found.
http://tinyurl.com/2cdf46z

--
Jonathan_R
Jonathan_R's Profile: http://forums.opensuse.org/member.php?userid=170

0
Jonathan
8/24/2010 4:06:03 PM
I was going to build a current driver when I saw this;
http://tinyurl.com/322qlze Now this says 2 things. 1) we only need
xorg-x11-driver-video and 2) a lot of us are trying to use the legacy
driver. Line 69 of that spec file there says  Source45:
xf86-video-intel-2.12.0.tar.bz2
This is the exact driver I compiled.

--
Jonathan_R
Jonathan_R's Profile: http://forums.opensuse.org/member.php?userid=170
View this thread: http://forums.opensuse.org/showthread.php?t=444897

0
Jonathan

Graphics Drivers for Intel Intergrated Graphics
can somebody help me out with finding a better driver for my Acer Laptop, At the moment i can only select 1024x768 which is making everything wide screen and distorted Details of drivers (System Infomation) 2D Driver installed:Intel 3D Driver Installed:swrast (No 3D Acceleration)(7.11) Yast Hardware shows Code: -------------------- ┬─Display │ │ ├┬─Mobile 4 Series Chipset Integrated Graphics Controller ...

Intel Graphics Drivers
Hi All, Bought a new Acer Aspire 5336 and im having some problems with the graphics card, It wont work (screen just goes off) unless i boot it using "nomodeset" in yast hardware its showing Code: -------------------- Display &#9474; &#9474; &#9500;&#9516;&#9472;Mobile Intel� GM45 Express Chipset &#9474; ...

HELP!HELP!HELP!HELP!HELP!HELP!

Help Help Help Help Help Help

Latest Intel Graphics Driver
I have been trying to get CIV4 to work on my new Asus notebook. It works on my desktop, but will not load a game on the notebook. Since I installed it the same way I did on my desktop using Wine I can only suspect this is due to a hardware issue. I can get the game to start up and show the opening menus where you start a game, but the dialog boxes are not right. Using SuSE 12.1 on both machines. The notebook has a B950 dual core Intel proc with built in Intel graphics proc. The current driver appears to be Xorg-X11. How can I get the latest Intel drivers for this gpu, and does In...

Help Help Help Help

help help help help

Need help about Intel 965GM driver
hi guy, i`m got problem with my Lenovo Y410 with intel 965GM chipset i currently running on opensuse 11.1 with vmware player that windows xp in it, the question is :- - i wan to make windows xp support the direct3d but dun know why still cannot, i try many idea from many forum :p so now stuck in installing latest driver for intel 956GM, i already download the xf86-video-intel 2.6.0.tar.gz that released in 2009-1-15 from intellinuxgraphics.org, the problem is.. i dont know what i have to do with it, the guide that they give not helping me since im new, anyone can help me to do it...

Need help for the Graphical report configuration
Hello Can any one please help me in configuring Graphical reports in bugzilla 2.22.2 I have already installed & configured Graphviz & Zgrviewer for the said feature. Please, if possible, can any one give me a step by step procedure of how to implement this. Thank you -- Iftikhar Hussain Software Test Analyst National Database & Registration Authority [NADRA] Islamabad ...

help with configuring new proprietary drivers
Hi, I'm new -and inexperienced- Suse user, I have a new laptop with an ATI 5650 graphic card. I have been using the Radeon driver with very low performance for a while. this driver was installed following the "Xorg -configure" procedure as descibed in the forum. Today I installed the newly released driver from Ati. this is what I did: 1) in /etc/X11/xorg.conf I changed "radeon" with "fglrx" 2) I run the driver downloaded from the ATI website 3) I run the command "aticonfig --initial" I'm no longer able to start the X server (the c...

PLEASE HELP! Graphics Driver Not Loading
Morning people, My graphics driver does not load anymore, although I do get X it is running extremely slow and while the driver install did something it actually failed. I am running 11.2 64-bits and installed Catalyst 10.9 driver. The symptoms: >fglrxinfo X Error of failed request: BadRequest (invalid request code or no such operation) Major opcode of failed request: 136 (GLX) Minor opcode of failed request: 19 (X_GLXQueryServerString) Serial number of failed request: 15 Current serial number in output stream: 15 >lsmod | grep -i fgl [NO OUTPUT] >lsmo...

Intel Graphics & Hardware Acceleration
I've had graphics issues as shown in the first post at http://forums.mozillazine.org/viewtopic.php?f=23&t=2848865&p=13651175&hilit=blocky+patches#p13651175 that I've only been able to avoid by turning off HWA. (Ignore info to the contrary in that first post - turning off HWA *does* fix it.) Is there a bug for fixing this issue or will I need to leave HWA disabled permanently? (I read recently that e10s will only be enabled if HWA is enabled and it got me to wondering...) Intel Graphics Media Accelerator 4500M Mobile Intel 4 Series Express Chipset Family Driver...

Driver issue with intel GM945 graphic.
It has been a long time since I last visit this site, I tried SuSE11 some days earlier, it looks pretty good. But, there got some issues on my machine HW. That's the display, it works good with VESA driver with my intel integrated graphic card based on GM945 chipset, but I just can adjuct the screen solution to 800x600, when I install the intel driver, the x server can not be started. I'm keeping tring other drivers. I tried on my another desktop machine, it works well. it's a great advancement from distribution 10.2. -- solonight --------------------------------...

Help plz: Graphics driver issue
I downloaded the new 11.2 when it appeared on distro watch. I went to the wiki for the one-touch nvidia install but it wouldn't work with this version. I followed the directions and installed via the repo. But now it wont load a GUI logon, I logged on via the command line and typed startx but x just crashes. States "Failed to load the nvidia kernl module aborting" How do I fix? Thx -- KezzerDrix ------------------------------------------------------------------------ Manual Install is the way to go. But I would ask, why are you using Mileston...

Web resources about - configuring the intel graphics driver - opensuse.org.help.hardware

Configuring Your Xcode Project for Distribution
Describes the common workflows to develop, test, and distribute your app.

Installing and configuring Graphite
Here are some notes I jotted down while installing and configuring Graphite, which isn't a trivial task, although the official documentation ...

Configuring Android Data Binding Just Got Easier
The [Android Data Binding Guide](https://developer.android.com/tools/data-binding/guide.html) was recently updated with a new way to configure ...

Hands on: Configuring Apple's NetBoot service, Part 1
NetBoot allows admins to use the same network-based image for Macs throughout a network; here are some tips and tricks for making it work for ...

Configuring a secure Ubuntu Linux Virtual Private Server
... acid which is a web based application to be able to view snort alerts $ sudo apt-get install acidbase Select No when it prompts you for configuring ...

Custom Configuring Java Apps: Extending log4j
Creating an extended, server-side version of a log4j Logger that automatically configures itself and adds printf -like logging methods to the ...

T-Mobile networks start configuring themselves, thanks to Eden Rock
T-Mobile US has tapped Eden Rock Communications , a Seattle-area wireless networking startup, to add some self-awareness to its networks. Eden ...

Why NASA Is Re-Configuring Part of the International Space Station
NASA robotics flight controllers are preparing for moving day at the International Space Station.

Configuring two wireless routers with one SSID (network name) at home for free roaming - Scott Hanselman ...
Scott Hanselman on Programming, User Experience, The Zen of Computers and Life in General