Cloning Boot Hard Drive - How I Installed a New Replacement Hard Drive

So, I just replaced my openSUSE boot hard drive.  I thought I would
outline the process and procedures I used which was successful.  What I
would like to know is, could I have done this another way or done it in
a better way?  I would like to hear from you if you were able to replace
your booting openSUSE hard drive and you did not need to reinstall
openSUSE to make it work.

I decided I wanted to replace my hard drive in the least amount of time
with the least amount of work.  This often means buying some product to
do the task, but what product might that be that could work with ext4
partitions?  After doing some searching I found a program called
HDClone.  They actually have a free product you can download but, after
trying it out, it told me it was going to take 8 hours to complete the
copy.  Not yet knowing any better, I decided to buy the Standard version
of the product for $50 US with product download and product code sent by
email.  The standard product did work AND took about 20 minutes to clone
a 500 GB hard drive (SATA) to a 600 GB connect to USB.  I did take a
chance here as I did not want to wait long enough to see if the free
product would have worked.  I suspect an all internal copy might have
went even faster.  Here is the link to the HDClone product site.

'Miray Software - HDClone - Hard disk copy, hard disk backup, hard disk
rescue!' (http://www.miray.de/products/sat.hdclone.html)

So I used the HDClone product and it did copy and expand all data to
the new hard drive.  The hard drive to be cloned contained three
partitions, SWAP, / (ext4) & /home (ext4).  The / root partition was
marked active and bootable and the MRB contained generic boot code.  The
cloned boot drive was identical after the cloning process except the two
ext4 partitions where increased in proportional size to the larger hard
drive size (done in Automatic clone mode).

After installing the new hard drive in place of the old one, the drive
did boot, but openSUSE did not load and the kernel stopped working with
many errors.  So, I next booted from a GParted boot disk and mounted the
/ root partition which was generically called /dev/sdb2.  I determined
that I needed to modify the /boot/grub/device.map, /boot/grub/menu.lst &
/etc/fstab files and I had to insert the /dev/sdb2 or /dev/sdb for
device.map, so that the new hard drive, which did not have the same uid
name as the old drive, could boot openSUSE properly.  Once I made these
changes, the new drive did boot and openSUSE did come up.

Finally, I opened the YaST / Partitioner in openSUSE and determined the
correct UID for the newly installed hard drive and once again I modified
the device.map, menu.lst file and fstab files to use the new UID in
every place it was refereed to.  I rebooted one more time just to make
sure all was working and it was.

So what do you think?  Was this the best way to do this?  Would you
have spent $50 to buy such a program or was I crazy to do so?  In the
end, it too me 45 minutes total time to make the changes required
including using HDClone.  It took me almost half of that time just to
write this message.  I would love to her your comments about my
adventure in hard drive cloning.

Thank You,

--
Remember that little in Life is certain, including any advice you may
get from me, you poor soul, but at least I am trying to help.

:)Its James again from Austin Texas (openSUSE 11.3, KDE 4.4.4, Kernel
2.6.35 64 Bit)

jdmcdaniel3
9/18/2010 3:36:01 PM
opensuse.org.help.hardware 8187 articles. 0 followers. Follow

Good work but at a price.

I moved the whole works, / directories and /home, to a new HDD using
the article as a guide, found via google, “Moving Your Linux Root
Partition” Mon, 04/30/2007 - 22:11 — johnk. This article is
written for Ubuntu so care was taken when modifying the GRUB files for
openSUSE.

Yast - Partitioner was used to clone the IDE drive to the SATA drive.
This set up 3 partitions on the new drive but Yast would not allow a
resize, as ext4. The swap part was left intact and the other two
partitions deleted and two new partitions made to occupy the available
space. The new partitions were formatted, ext4, but not mounted via
FSTAB at this time.

After reboot /home directory was copied to partition3. Yast-Partioner
changed to mount the new /home and deselected the old. Yast-Boot Loader
was used to change the GRUB files to recognise the new partition3.

After reboot and verification that the new /home was accessible and
running correctly. The other / directories were copies to the new
partition2. Again Yast - Partitioner was used to mount the new /
directories and again Yast-Boot Loader was used to change the GRUB files
to recognise the new partition2. The GRUB files were copied from the old
to new HDD.

At this reboot the system was still using the MBR of the old HDD but
the new HDD for / and /home directories. Again using Yast – Boot
Loader the GRUB files where changed to point only to the new HDD. With
these changes made Yast – Bootloader “Propose new
configuration” was used and accepted. Yast then generated the MBR
and new initrd on the new HDD.

GRUB files => /boot/grub/device.map, /boot/grub/menu.1st and
/etc/grub.conf.

After verifying all was in order after the next reboot the old HDD was
removed from the system on the next power down.

Note:
1. grub-install is not supported by openSUSE11.3 hence the use of Yast
modules.
2. Doing a new install on the new HDD would have been easier and
quicker than implementing the above. This was just an academic exercise
to see if it was possible.
3. No responsibility accepted for errors or omissions.

The above was on a 3 year old machine,
Mainboard MS-7293, intel Core 2 Duo, Radeon X1650 Pro, openSUSE11.3,
kde 4.5.0.

--
keellambert
keellambert's Profile: http://forums.opensuse.org/member.php?userid=29992

0
keellambert
9/18/2010 11:06:01 PM
Hello keellambert.  Thanks so much for the great detail.  I think that
my thoughts on this overall thread was to let others know what was
really involved to replace a working bootable hard drive with another,
while everything is still working.  I do think I would have most likely
went the new install route as opposed to the trouble you went through
just as you suggest.  Still, one needs to know that anything is possible
and that you do not have to spend $50 to make this work either.  Great
to hear of this successful adventure in duplicating your old hard drive
to a different one.

Thank You,

--

jdmcdaniel3's Profile: http://forums.opensuse.org/member.php?userid=43440
View this thread: http://forums.opensuse.org/showthread.php?t=446597

0
jdmcdaniel3
9/18/2010 11:36:01 PM
Hi jdmcdaniel3,

omission
======

motherboard bios had to be changed before final reboot to select new
SATA drive as boot device.

some time may have been saved if bios boot HDD preference had initially
been set to
1. new SATA drive
2. old IDE drive

--
keellambert
keellambert's Profile: http://forums.opensuse.org/member.php?userid=29992
View this thread: http://forums.opensuse.org/showthread.php?t=446597

0
keellambert
9/19/2010 9:06:01 AM
I had to clone my HDD twice quite recently. The reason was that I had to
re-format my drive. This meant copying everything to another drive, then
reformat, then copying everything back. (See 'iowait slows system down'
(http://tinyurl.com/36oycgk) post #17).

As far as I can remember I did manual partitioning using gparted, then
mkfs, then rsync to copy everything, then manual tweaking of menu.lst,
fstab ..., then manual install of grub. No additional dedicated tool was
ever used.

--
Technology is 'stuff that doesn�t work yet.' -- Bran Ferren
vodoo's Profile: http://forums.opensuse.org/member.php?userid=18902
View this thread: http://forums.opensuse.org/showthread.php?t=446597

0
vodoo
9/19/2010 1:06:02 PM
Thanks vodoo for your comments.  I have had to kind of do this when I
managed to corrupt the main boot drive.  By that I mean I did recover
(by coping it somewhere else and then back again as you did) my /home
area, but I did reinstall openSUSE.  The last time was after a power
supply went bad with openSUSE running.  No matter what you do though, if
the hard drive has the same UID, the issues are somewhat reduced on file
editing.  As you indicate, it is imperative to keep the GParted Boot
disk around and I keep the openSUSE KDE Live CD ready as well.  You
can't wait till you need these disks and then be unable to download and
make them.

keellambert you are correct to mention the need to look at your BIOS
settings if you replace a hard drive.  In my case, I moved the new hard
drive to the same exact connection as the one I replaced (which was an
external eSATA drive) and the BIOS saw the new drive name, but still had
it set as the boot drive.  I guess this happened because it was plugged
into the exact same connection.  So I did go into BIOS setup to look,
but there was nothing to do as it was still set to boot the drive as
before.

Thank You,

--
Remember that little in Life is certain, including any advice you may
get from me, you poor soul, but at least I am trying to help.

:)Its James again from Austin Texas (openSUSE 11.3, KDE 4.4.4, Kernel
2.6.35 64 Bit)
jdmcdaniel3's Profile: http://forums.opensuse.org/member.php?userid=43440
View this thread: http://forums.opensuse.org/showthread.php?t=446597

0
jdmcdaniel3

Installing new hard drive to replace smaller volume on another drive
OK folks, We're installing a new drive in our NetWare 4.11sp9 server. The server is an IBM Netfinity 5000. It took us a while to source the 'hotswap drive tray' part, but we eventually got one! The new drive is a Seagate Cheetah 10K.6 - 73.4 GB - hot- swap SCSI Ultra320 - 10000 rpm - 8 MB. Phew! The server already has two drives installed. We are not using a RAID array. On these two drives, we have 3 volumes - SYS and APPS on one drive, and DATA on the other. We've fitted the drive into the hotswap tray, and inserted it into the server. It seems to l...

Installed On external Hard drive, Unable to start windows without external hard drive plugged in.
I installed 11.3 on my external usb hard drive and now without it plugged in I can't boot windows 7. If i go into boot options and select boot off hard disk I get initializing GRUB 1.5... Failed Error 21. How do I fix this? I know I'm a total nub but I need to fix this so i can take my laptop to class. (side question, it's a sata drive, so i was thinking about buying an old esata enclosure and switching from USB to Esata, will that mess up anything?) -- mstubler ------------------------------------------------------------------------ That's because y...

Booting to a new hard drive
Got a little issue here and wanted to see if anyone had any ideas. I plugged in a new(used) 120 GB drive as primary. Secondary drive(slave) already installed. The new drive was wiped so no info on it now. When attempting to boot, the system will not boot to a bootable CD or a floppy and always goes to the PXE boot from the PCI 3Com NIC I use. I have tried using Cable Select and setting the jumpers to Primary/Slave. Doesn't help. If I put the old drive back in that has a OS already loaded the system boots fine to a boot floppy or CD. For some reason with the primary dri...

Install new hard drives
We installed a new 18 gb hard drive to our Netware 5.1 server. When I try to create another Netware disk partition I receive the following message: "Four disk partitions are already on this drive. I did see a "Utility Partion" under Disk partiton types. Does anyone know what this is and can it be deleted? Can someone recommend a procedure/utility which would allow me to add this hard drive without doing the server from scratch? Thanks, Ted > We installed a new 18 gb hard drive to our Netware 5.1 server. When I try to > create another Netware disk...

install cloned hard drive
hi, I install netware 6 sp5 from a cloned hard drive with netware 6 from other server still working in a lan, but the other server is still working, and when the old server is online, the new server is not visible in the network, and when the new server is online and the old is offline, works ok. I think that the problem is for the serverid or the ipx network id, but i don`t know si if they have to be the same or if I have to change somo of these values in the new server. I try to change, using inetcfg for the ipx id and nwadmin for the serverid, but i don�t know what values put ther...

Installing new hard drive
Runniing XPHESP2. I saw awhile back in grc posts about this subject. It wasn't relevant to me - at the time... I have gone to the Discussions at grc's site, but can't locate the relevant thread. Any help pointing this unsseing one properly is appreciated. 2xparanoid wrote: > Runniing XPHESP2. I saw awhile back in grc posts about this subject. > It wasn't relevant to me - at the time... I have gone to the > Discussions at grc's site, but can't locate the relevant thread. Any > help pointing this unsseing one properly is appreciated. I don...

Install new Hard Drive
I am trying to install a new harddrive into my NW6.5sp5 server. This drive will be outside of the current raid. I established a new virtual disk in the bios of my Dell 2900. But when I try to establish a new volume after scanning for new devices in Imanager it shows only 2 gig of space available. (the drive is 73 gig, the dell bios show it at 69 gig). I had pulled the drive out of a machine I was playing with that I loaded VM esx onto. (it was part of a 3 drive Raid with two 36 gig drives (that is the way the server came). I initialized the drive in the bios screen. Am I n...

Which will increase boot time more a new CPU or a new Hard Drive?
If one wants to have Windows boot up a lot faster then of the choice between adding a super fast hard disk drive or a super fast new processor, which would give a much faster boot time? If I could only afford either one of the two which would you go for? And seeing as my boot time now is about 5 minutes, how many minutes might a HDD speed it up by and how many minutes might a new CPU (and motherboard if necessary)? Thanks Al aken wrote: > If one wants to have Windows boot up a lot faster then of the choice between > adding a super fast hard disk drive or a s...

Netware Hard Drive Device Drive Install Failure
I am currently trying to install a netware 5.0 server onto an old dell 4400 with a pec 3/Di RAID controller. From what I can tell, I have the raid controller configured correctly and I am manually adding to the perc2.ham driver off of a disk. When I continue, I'm getting an error that the instance failed to load. I know the OS should support the hardware, since the latest driver is included as part of SP6a, so I'm trying to find out what I could be doing wrong. Any help would be great. Thanks. Galen, > I am currently trying to install a netware 5.0 server on...

Moving Hard Drives to new hardware.
I currently have 2 SATA drives one with Opensuse 11.0, and the other with 64 Studio. They are running in a dualboot. I need to move these 2 drives to a new machine. My question is in regards to whether the OS's will boot up or not. All the parts in the new computer are linux compatible. But are there any Grub items that may need to be changed? or anything else? Any help would be greatly appreciated, thank you! -- homerj742 ------------------------------------------------------------------------ Not likely to be simple. Most of your conflicts will be from all ...

Install sata and clone pata hard drive.
I recognize the obvious need to back up the contents and follow a certain duty of care before attempting to clone my failing pata 250g HD to a 1 tera byte sata. What problems if any could come up when cloning from a failing pata to a sata HD? -- difficilus ------------------------------------------------------------------------ Cloning will not damage the target sata drive. I would be wary of cloning a failing drive to the sata drive because of the damaged/absent info in the damaged sectors. Or at least be aware that some data might be bad. If you use dd, it will ex...

Firefox hangs after new Hard Drive installed..
About a month ago, my primary hard drive crashed. I bought a new one, reinstalled XP and the 24 freaking hours of updates, then reinstalled Firefox, v 2.0. Before this, Firefox ran fine. Something has changed. If I'm browsing for a period of time (never know how long, it seems random) Firefox will just quit loading a page. It doesn't matter how long I wait, it isn't going to load. Stopping and hitting refresh doesn't help. If I close Firefox and restart it, it won't work. The home page will never load. The only thing that will work is rebooting the PC. ...

hard drive pins on drive
I have 2 identical win Xp.The 1st works fine.The 2nd had the hard drive taken out[I won't get into why]. When putting the 2nd drive back exactly like the 1st,I noticed that the removeable[for lack of a better word] the jumper is in on the first set of pins to the far right and on the 1st HD the jumper is on the second set of pins. I need help with this.I did move the jumper on the 2nd to the second set of pins. MY second problem is that scandisk is saying that the secors are unreadable. I have not done a complete testing yet using diagnostics.I am waiting for the OS disks ...

New User Can't boot from hard drive
Help - I am trying to install opensuse on an IBM 8188 desktop with a single SATA hdd. The software appears to load just fine.. standard install but when I reboot the box .. believing it should just boot from the hard drive I get the message no OS installed. I've adjusted the bios and the drive order and I have changed to install parameters for APC or APIC.... you know what I mean... does'nt matter NO JOY IN MUD VILLE. Please help... -- robertmoody151 ------------------------------------------------------------------------ > Help - I am trying to install o...

Web resources about - Cloning Boot Hard Drive - How I Installed a New Replacement Hard Drive - opensuse.org.help.hardware

The Replacements (band) - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia
pioneers of alternative rock . The band was composed of the guitarist and vocalist Paul Westerberg , guitarist Bob Stinson , bass guitarist Tommy ...

Facebook’s Carolyn Everson To Spend Six Months In London, Hire Replacement For Joanna Shields
... Vice President of Global Marketing Solutions Carolyn Everson will relocate from New York to London for six months in an effort to find a replacement ...

Facebook Home: Replacement Home Screen for Android
Nicely-designed phone interface that I would personally never want to use. (They’re embedding Helvetica rather than using Google’s crummy Roboto. ...

The Replacements (@TheReplacements) on Twitter
Website has been fixed. Stay tuned to see what other shenanigans we may or may not have up our sleeves... theReplacementsOfficial.

App Store - The Complete Hair Replacement Guide
Get The Complete Hair Replacement Guide on the App Store. See screenshots and ratings, and read customer reviews.

The Replacements - Sixteen Blue (REMASTERED) - YouTube
Artist : The Replacements Album : Let it Be (REMASTERED) Year : 1984 Track : 10 Duration : 4:24 Songwritter : Paul Westerberg Sixteen Blue Hut..yeah..c'mon ...

'Demtel man' Tim Shaw announced as Mark Parton's replacement on 2CC
... breakfast host. But wait, there's more... 2CC has a new breakfast host to replace the outgoing Mark Parton ; but wait, there's more. His replacement ...

Big Bash League: Sydney Sixers' Jackson Bird ready to soar as Brett Lee's replacement
Jackson Bird says it's a mistake to compare him to Brett Lee, but if the Victorian had Lee's speed he'd likely be in Australia's attack for the ...

Alcoa ship's final voyage halted by crew angered at foreign replacements
A large alumina cargo ship owned by Alcoa is stranded at a wharf at Portland, western Victoria, while its crew - facing the sack - refuses to ...

iPad Pro review roundup: Bigger is better, Pencil is great for drawing, iOS limiting factor as PC replacement ...
... which run an additional $99 and $169. The accessories are almost more important than the iPad hardware itself in making this a true PC replacement ...