Asus k50c with SiS Mirage 3/sis 671/771 video card

Hi everyone! I decided to install OpenSUSE 11.4 to my mother's computer
Asus k50c with SiS Mirage 3/sis 671/771 video card. The thing is that
normal resolution for this notebook is 1366x786, but the only option I
can choose in Monitor configuration is 1024x768. Could you help me?

--
Tux-Tux

Tux
9/19/2011 7:36:03 PM
opensuse.org.help.hardware 8187 articles. 0 followers. Follow

I worked on a Laptop recently with a SiS chip. It sucked. Can't recall
the version but IIRC from my Googling there is a general issue with SiS.

SiS doesn't even feature in this guide
'openSUSE Graphic Card Practical Theory Guide for Users'
(http://tinyurl.com/2vsv4rh)

I'd be interested too if anyone has some good info on them. Sorry I
can't offer any

--
Box: 11.4 | Gnome 2.3 | AMD 64 X2 5200+ | nVidia 8500GT | 4GB RAM
Lap #1: 11.4  | Duo T4300 | KDE 4.7.1 | Intel M4 Graphics | Lenovo G550
| 3GB RAM
Lap#2: 11.4  | Gnome | Celeron 550 | Intel 965GM | Lenovo R61 |
'Carl's_Multimedia_Oneclick'
(http://forums.opensuse.org/blogs/caf4926/my-multimedia-oneclick-30/)
'My_Guides' (http://tinyurl.com/6cabu2j)
caf4926's Profile: http://forums.opensuse.org/member.php?userid=204
View this thread: http://forums.opensuse.org/showthread.php?t=465438

0
caf4926
9/19/2011 8:26:03 PM
Same experience here. I never got any SiS card to work properly on
openSUSE (nor on XP). You could try to use xrandr to change the
resolution, but that's beyond my knowledge.

--
- Athlon X2 6.0 GHz, 8 GB, 30 GB SSD, 1.5 TB, 9800GT, 11.3 + KDE 4.5
- ASUS K70IO laptop, GT120M-1GB, 4 GB, 64 GB SSD,  openSUSE Tumbleweed

ANYTHING THAT CAN GO WRONG.... WILL TEACH US

http://en.opensuse.org/User:Knurpht
http://nl.opensuse.org/Gebruiker:Knurpht
Knurpht's Profile: http://forums.opensuse.org/member.php?userid=783
View this thread: http://forums.opensuse.org/showthread.php?t=465438

0
Knurpht
9/19/2011 9:26:02 PM
Maybe this will bring any luck: 'How to install SiS 771/671 Mirage 3
Video Drivers in ubuntu 10.04 (Lucid)' (http://tinyurl.com/2vrpwtm) The
commands are basically the same, just read "su -c" where it says "sudo",
or "su -" to get root access and invoke the commands without the "sudo".

--
- Athlon X2 6.0 GHz, 8 GB, 30 GB SSD, 1.5 TB, 9800GT, 11.3 + KDE 4.5
- ASUS K70IO laptop, GT120M-1GB, 4 GB, 64 GB SSD,  openSUSE Tumbleweed
- KDE4 - GNOME3

ANYTHING THAT CAN GO WRONG.... WILL TEACH US

http://en.opensuse.org/User:Knurpht
http://nl.opensuse.org/Gebruiker:Knurpht
Knurpht's Profile: http://forums.opensuse.org/member.php?userid=783
View this thread: http://forums.opensuse.org/showthread.php?t=465438

0
Knurpht
9/19/2011 9:36:02 PM
Dear *Knurpht, *thant you, I'll try. Just one note: in openSUSE I don't
see any xorg.conf. Just directory xorg.conf.d and the file
xorg.conf.install. Is if OK? (ubuntu recommendations require some
manipulations with xorg.conf)?

--
Tux-Tux
Tux-Tux's Profile: http://forums.opensuse.org/member.php?userid=51497
View this thread: http://forums.opensuse.org/showthread.php?t=465438

0
Tux
9/20/2011 8:56:03 AM
Tux-Tux;2385768 Wrote:
> Dear *Knurpht, *thant you, I'll try. Just one note: in openSUSE I don't
> see any xorg.conf. Just directory xorg.conf.d and the file
> xorg.conf.install. Is if OK? (ubuntu recommendations require some
> manipulations with xorg.conf)?

xorg.conf has moved to xorg.conf.d, separate files for the sections.
But.......if you do have an xorg.conf that file will be used. It can
even be useful to retrieve the info needed to create the appropriate
entries in xorg.conf.d

--
- Athlon X2 6.0 GHz, 8 GB, 30 GB SSD, 1.5 TB, 9800GT, 11.3 + KDE 4.5
- ASUS K70IO laptop, GT120M-1GB, 4 GB, 64 GB SSD,  openSUSE Tumbleweed
- KDE4 - GNOME3

ANYTHING THAT CAN GO WRONG.... WILL TEACH US

http://en.opensuse.org/User:Knurpht
http://nl.opensuse.org/Gebruiker:Knurpht
Knurpht's Profile: http://forums.opensuse.org/member.php?userid=783
View this thread: http://forums.opensuse.org/showthread.php?t=465438

0
Knurpht
9/20/2011 11:46:02 AM
Dear *Knurpht*! Thanks a lot for your advice. I was not able to test it
for about one month. If anyone else will have the same problems with
ASUS K50C, I'll be glad to share with xorg.conf and with driver and very
easy recommendations. It works well!

--
Tux-Tux
Tux-Tux's Profile: http://forums.opensuse.org/member.php?userid=51497
View this thread: http://forums.opensuse.org/showthread.php?t=465438

0
Tux
10/16/2011 7:46:02 PM
Tux-Tux;2394290 Wrote:
> Dear *Knurpht*! Thanks a lot for your advice. I was not able to test it
> for about one month. If anyone else will have the same problems with
> ASUS K50C, I'll be glad to share with xorg.conf and with driver and very
> easy recommendations. It works well!

Glad you got it working. How does it perform, i.e. what works and what
doesn't?

--
- Athlon X6 3.6 GHz, 16 GB DDR3, 30 GB SSD, 3 TB of disks, GT540,
openSUSE 11.3 x86_64 + KDE 4.7 + GNOME 3

ANYTHING THAT CAN GO WRONG.... WILL TEACH US

http://en.opensuse.org/User:Knurpht
http://nl.opensuse.org/Gebruiker:Knurpht
Knurpht's Profile: http://forums.opensuse.org/member.php?userid=783
View this thread: http://forums.opensuse.org/showthread.php?t=465438

0
Knurpht
10/16/2011 9:16:03 PM
Dear *Knurpht*, I was just testing the resolution (as before I could use
it only in 1024x768, and now in normal for this computer 1366x768). As
well as this is not my personal computer I don't have an access for
testing all features, but it looks working well, and my mother is
satisfied (she is not a gamer :) )

--
Tux-Tux
Tux-Tux's Profile: http://forums.opensuse.org/member.php?userid=51497
View this thread: http://forums.opensuse.org/showthread.php?t=465438

0
Tux
10/17/2011 5:56:03 PM
Hello Tux-Tux, I had try the steps but didn't work. I did every step and
reboot my machine, but still with the same resolution and the same drive
vesa and fbdev.
What recommendations you have?

--
Rafiusks
Rafiusks's Profile: http://forums.opensuse.org/member.php?userid=66331
View this thread: http://forums.opensuse.org/showthread.php?t=465438

0
Rafiusks

SiS video card: looking for help
Hello, Newbie here looking for help... I'm running openSUSE 11.0 on a pretty old Sony Vaio integrated platform PC and cannot bring my KDE into full 1024x768 resolution. (And while I can get past the blank screen present at the boot - a problem that I'll have to look into soon -, I can't use the desktop in this low resolution. I understand that SiS graphic cards are usually unsupported and plagued with problems; however, I have encountered no trouble running mine correctly and at full parameters in the latest *buntu distributions - but then, I don't think I lik...

Problem with the Sis 671\672 chipset with Mirage 3 Graphics
Hello friends, I installed the latest version os Suse (OpenSUSE 11.1) in my notebook, but the video card (Sis Mirage 3 Graphics) was not found. The max resolution tha the system shows is 1280x768, and the correct resolution for this videocard should be 1280x800. Do you know were can i find a Driver or how can i configure it? My notebook is a CCE. (Ol� amigos, eu instalei em meu notebook a ultima vers�o do SUSE (opensuse 11.1), mas a placa de v�deo n�o foi encontrada (Mirage 3 Graphics). A resolu��o maxima que o sistema exibe � 1280x768, e a resolu��o correta seria 1280x800. algu�m ...

Help with SiS video
Complete Linux newbie, I warn you. I'm trying out RH9 (kernel 2.4.20-8 athlon) and I'm frustrated with the video on it. Under windows, I can get a 32bit screen at 1024x768 resolution, no problem. Under linux, I'm stuck at 24bit at 800x600. Now I've read a few sites, namely http://www.winischhofer.net/linuxsis630.shtml and http://www.ok--computer.com/linux/asus/news_en.html#kernel I can't really make much sense of what it is I'm supposed to do, or even if they apply to me. I've got an ECS K7SOM+ rev 5.2a, with an SiS 730D chipset and a Sis 962L south ...

Help on Video card for Asus G1S
Hello all, I guess I am more lost then I orginally thought. I have installed opensuse 11 on my Asus g1S laptop. However I cant get the video card to work and I am not clear what I am doing wrong I have followed the documentation supplied by suse with no avail. When I boot up it takes me from the boot splash screen to a console log in. So I proceed with my login, then when I try to start X I get :> > Fatal: Error inserting nvidia > (/lib/modules/2.6.25.11-0.1-pae/updates/nvidia.ka): No such device > (EE) NVIDIA(0): Failed to laod the Nvidia Kernel module! > (EE) N...

SIS video card external monior freezing
Hi I have a problem with my acer aspire 5000 When i connect an external monitro(a dell crt) both the laptop lcd and the monitor freeze every 3 seconds and its really really annoying. Any ideas why? I have a sis m760gx video card and an amd turion 64 processor By the way i've had this same problem on opensuse and on ubuntu 9.10 I've also used an old version of mandriva(2008) and it doesnt have that problem -- preludeofchaos ------------------------------------------------------------------------ ...

Screen resolution on SIS 771/671 and Viewsonic 1600x900 monitor
Hi, I am trying to get my Viewsonic monitor to run at it's preferred 1600x900 resolution. I have read loads of stuff on the forum and Wiki but can't sort out what to do and am reticent to make a change that will lose the display altogether. Can anyone give me a bit of guidance please? If I do Yast2 - Hardware Information and "Save to file", I can see the following extracts: > Display > SysFS BusID: 0000:01:00.0 > Hardware Class: graphics card > Model: "Silicon Integrated 771/671 PCIE VGA Display Adapter" > Vendor: pci 0x1039 "...

New card sis
I have a notebook with (VGA compatible controller: Silicon Integrated Systems [SiS] 771/671 PCIE VGA Display Adapter) but my opensuse 11.1 Alpha 1 recognize only VESA. thanks. -- nhawkbr ------------------------------------------------------------------------ Vesa will probably be your best option 'HCL/Video Cards - openSUSE' (http://tinyurl.com/5j5sa3) -- Linux 2.6.25.11-0.1-default x86_64. openSUSE 11.0. 4.1.1 (KDE 4.1.0 (4.1 >= 20080722)) "release 21.1". Asus M2N4-SLI, AMD Athlon 64 X2 5200+, Nvidia 8500GT, WD 320GB, 2GB RAM -------------...

HELP!HELP!HELP!HELP!HELP!HELP!

Help Help Help Help Help Help

Help Help Help Help

help help help help

PB7 app and Win98 SIS Video Drivers
Has anyone ever seen unexplained terrible Win98 resource drains with a PB7 app? Starting the APP and clicking in a few windows etc results in resources drop to almost zero. Same app on other PCs behaves acceptably in regards to resource drains. We have seen it on one PC that has an SIS video card. Changing the video driver to Standard solved the problem. Has anyone got similar stories? Any other video cards with similar issues? TIA - Frank ...

sis graphics card not supported in 11.1
Running opensuse 11.0 my sis display was running. Well, during installation it selected an other model but it was running. Now during installation of 11.1 there is no graphic card support.But i like to upgrade to 11.1. What can i do? which version of X.org or Xfree86 is in opensuse 11.1? So i can download the drivers from 'Thomas Winischhofer - X.org/XFree86/Linux and SiS/XGI graphics chipsets - Part 3' (http://www.winischhofer.eu/linuxsispart4.shtml#download) where is the driver located in opensuse. I guessed right, I'm new:) -- pinkdot ---------...

help help help
Name: bryon Email: bryonbattampabaydotrrdotcom Product: Thunderbird Summary: help help help Comments: why can't i go into the address book and create a new contact with all the information. the screen does not scroll down to the phone numbers section to allow me to enter it, this is with a few of the application that wont allow me to scroll down and finish inserting information needed. please help Browser Details: Mozilla/5.0 (X11; U; Linux i686; en-US; rv:1.8.1.9) Gecko/20071025 Firefox/2.0.0.9 ...

Web resources about - Asus k50c with SiS Mirage 3/sis 671/771 video card - opensuse.org.help.hardware

Teenage Mutant Ninja Turtles (Mirage Studios) - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia
Teenage Mutant Ninja Turtles is an American comic book published by Mirage Studios with a twenty six year run from 1984 to 2010. Originally conceived ...

MIRAGE - Camera Messaging on the App Store on iTunes
Get MIRAGE - Camera Messaging on the App Store. See screenshots and ratings, and read customer reviews.

Mirage in the Desert - Flickr - Photo Sharing!
I took this shot of the 'mirage' through the coach window as we were travelling at 60mph through the desert between Abu Simbel & Aswan in the ...

Dogfight - Locked Greek Mirage Crash Over Aegean Sea - YouTube
This is a video captured from a tv documentary. Incident took place at the beginning of 90s, it was a Greek mirage, and it crashed to aegean ...

Sebastian Strangio's book Hun Sen's Cambodia lays bare the mirage on the Mekong - The National
It looks like a democracy and the phrases beloved of the UN and international NGOs ring around Phnom Penh's staterooms, but a new book says Cambodia ...

First drive review: Mitsubishi Mirage
The new Mirage is still way short of being a great car. But it’s a better car than it threatened to be a few months ago.

Miracles and mirages in the eurozone wonderland
A nearly-bankrupt Greece is planning its return to capital markets, while the ECB impresses markets despite its inaction. Now more than ever, ...

Head to Head: Fiat 500 Pop v Mitsubishi Mirage ES
... Fiat 500 Pop: from $14,000 drive-away. 1.2-litre four-cylinder; 51kW/102Nm; 5-sp manual; 5.1L/100km and 119g/km CO2; FWD Mitsubishi Mirage ...

Crown Princess Mary and her Danish royal family hit the shops at Marina Mirage on the Gold Coast - The ...
MEMBERS of the Danish royal family have stepped out again on the Gold Coast today — this time for a spot of boutique shopping.

Sun, sand and shattered dreams: Dubai mirage turns to nightmare
A bunch of Australians saw opportunity in Dubai. Instead, some lost millions. Two lost their liberty. Four years later, this bitter war is far ...