Why am I getting Firefox 3.0.0.1 instead of 2.0.0.16?

This is becoming supremely irritating.

The Update applet tells me I have a security update for Firefox,
specifially 2.0.0.16.

Then it downloads and installs Firefox 3.0.0.1 - which happens to be a
complete POS!

Firefox 3.0 is a disaster - the right click menu doesn't work properly,
it crashes on God knows how many Web sites that used to work fine in
earlier versions.

It's crap.

But the real complaint is - WHY is it being mis-represented by the
updater as an earlier version? Whose brilliant idea was that?

Now I have to go through the whole **** uninstall process again and
reinstall 2.0.0.15.

--
richardstevenhack

richardstevenhack

* richardstevenhack,

at a guess, you enabled the Mozilla community repository. Disable that and you'll keep  Firefox 2.
BTW, I don't see the problems you have. It is terribly annoying when I scroll, but else it works fine. I suggest you rename your .mozilla folder and start from scratch for testing purposes, maybe it is just some add-on acting up.

Uwe
0
Uwe
7/30/2008 6:39:36 AM
I am sorry to hear that richardstevenhack has had such problems with
Firefox 3; our experience has been the complete opposite: we upgraded
to 3.0.1 recently with YaST; the upgrade ran smoothly and Firefox has
worked flawlessly since then; we added
download.opensuse.org/repositories/mozilla/openSUSE_10.2/ as we are
running 10.2

--
pdc_2
pdc_2's Profile: http://forums.opensuse.org/member.php?userid=3503

0
pdc
7/30/2008 8:26:04 AM
I haven't had any problems with FF3, but the updater doesn't upgrade
between major versions. What probably happened is that you have both on
your system and the launcher is pointing to FF3. You have to edit the
launcher. Another thing is that the way the wrapper script is written,
it is not possible to run both at the same time, because it will try to
look for an existing running instance, whether FF2 or FF3.

--
ken_yap
ken_yap's Profile: http://forums.opensuse.org/member.php?userid=221
View this thread: http://forums.opensuse.org/showthread.php?t=391352

0
ken
7/30/2008 8:56:03 AM
FF3 has issues with fonts in KDE and the work arounds are not acceptable
in my opinion. It has issues with flash and flv files on certain sites,
many won't play, and many crash the browser.

I have used FF3 extensively, after applying all the work arounds just
to get it to render fonts decently on an LCD screen, it certainly
looked fine, but the crashes and issues with flv files is problematic
in an age where just about every web site is using flash for something,
and most are now using it for video rather then media players.

FF2 just works, no issues, no crashes, all files play as expected and I
don't have to install crap from another DE to make fonts look correct
and don't have to configure font rendering in another DE then run
dameons in the background from that DE.

Making FF3 dependent on a specific DE is a huge mistake. The crashing
and inability to play certain flv files is baffling to say the least.

--
brucecadieux
brucecadieux's Profile: http://forums.opensuse.org/member.php?userid=1373
View this thread: http://forums.opensuse.org/showthread.php?t=391352

0
brucecadieux
7/30/2008 9:06:03 AM
Check this out ken

'Community Repositories' (http://itsyourpc.org/bruce/files/Community/)

--
brucecadieux
brucecadieux's Profile: http://forums.opensuse.org/member.php?userid=1373
View this thread: http://forums.opensuse.org/showthread.php?t=391352

0
brucecadieux
7/30/2008 9:16:03 AM
No problems with Flash here either. I installed the Flash player from
the one-click installer for restricted formats. The recent update to
X11 fonts seems to have improved readability. And I'm on a LCD screen
also.

I should add that it's worth working out how to get FF3 working as FF2
has less than 6 months life left.

--
ken_yap
ken_yap's Profile: http://forums.opensuse.org/member.php?userid=221
View this thread: http://forums.opensuse.org/showthread.php?t=391352

0
ken
7/30/2008 9:16:03 AM
Plays fine here. Not exactly a wallpaper I would choose, but it's your
desktop. :)

--
ken_yap
ken_yap's Profile: http://forums.opensuse.org/member.php?userid=221
View this thread: http://forums.opensuse.org/showthread.php?t=391352

0
ken
7/30/2008 9:26:03 AM
Plays fine for me in everything but FF3. In FF3 nothing shows up at all,
and there are a few other sites I have the same problem with, as are
numerous other people with FF3 regardless of the OS they use.

--
brucecadieux
brucecadieux's Profile: http://forums.opensuse.org/member.php?userid=1373
View this thread: http://forums.opensuse.org/showthread.php?t=391352

0
brucecadieux
7/30/2008 9:26:03 AM
Figured out the flv/flash problem.

Adblock was causing the problem.

Installing Adblock Plus works with no ill side effects

--
brucecadieux
brucecadieux's Profile: http://forums.opensuse.org/member.php?userid=1373
View this thread: http://forums.opensuse.org/showthread.php?t=391352

0
brucecadieux
7/30/2008 10:36:03 AM
That's why I use Opera. :)

--
Maturion
Maturion's Profile: http://forums.opensuse.org/member.php?userid=1083
View this thread: http://forums.opensuse.org/showthread.php?t=391352

0
Maturion
7/30/2008 10:36:03 AM
I use Flashblock which blocks autoplay of flash, the new annoyance,
after animated gifs. Also I regard autoplay of flash as a hazard. What
if an exploit is found in Flashplayer, updates for which we are at
Adobe's mercy?

--
ken_yap
ken_yap's Profile: http://forums.opensuse.org/member.php?userid=221
View this thread: http://forums.opensuse.org/showthread.php?t=391352

0
ken
7/30/2008 10:46:03 AM
OK, so the fact that I had the Mozilla community in my repositories
meant I got one instead of the other.

That's still wrong. If the applet shows 2.0.0.16, that's what I should
have gotten without my having to edit anything.

As for trying with a fresh profile, I did that, too. No change. Firefox
right click on every third or fourth or whatever click will
automatically select one of the right click menu options on its own
instead of displaying the right click menu. This has been reported by
other people as well, according to Google. Probably not that common
because many people don't use the right click as much as I do.

And there's the problem of numerous crashes and slowdowns on various
sites I frequent which did not happen in FF2. I suspect that FF3 has
serious issues with JavaScript on those sites.

I'm not touching FF3 until it goes to 3.1 or something - or at least
fixes the right click problem. I use right click a LOT to save images
from the Net and FF3 is completely useless to me now.

--
richardstevenhack
richardstevenhack's Profile: http://forums.opensuse.org/member.php?userid=5700
View this thread: http://forums.opensuse.org/showthread.php?t=391352

0
richardstevenhack
7/30/2008 9:06:03 PM
On 07/30/2008 richardstevenhack wrote:
> I'm not touching FF3 until it goes to 3.1 or something - or at least
> fixes the right click problem. I use right click a LOT to save images
> from the Net and FF3 is completely useless to me now.

Richard,

as mentioned before, the right click issue doesn't seem to be a general bug. Did you try and start FF3 from a fresh profile, as I suggested? I fear you'll see the same problem with future versions of FF.

Uwe
0
Uwe
7/31/2008 4:33:14 AM
Nice video, how did you make it?

FF3.01, KDE 3.5.9 "release 49.1", Suse 11.0, Kernel
2.6.25.11-0.1-default i686

Upgraded from Suse 10.3 using the mini-iso CD and it worked "out of the
box", after I added the Mozilla repo and did a full update.

FF3 plays BBC, & CNN & YouTube without complaint. Added the newest
Compact Menu, Tab Mix Plus, AdBlock Plus, NoScript, DownloadHelper &
FastDial extensions and it is a real improvement on FF2. The Noia 2
Extreme theme has been upgraded at last, so I'm a happy surfer!

--
Best wishes

Sid
-Registered Linux user #432874-
sid1950's Profile: http://forums.opensuse.org/member.php?userid=1464
View this thread: http://forums.opensuse.org/showthread.php?t=391352

0
sid1950
8/3/2008 6:16:03 PM
pdc_2;1848024 Wrote:
> I am sorry to hear that richardstevenhack has had such problems with
> Firefox 3; our experience has been the complete opposite: we upgraded
> to 3.0.1 recently with YaST; the upgrade ran smoothly and Firefox has
> worked flawlessly since then; we added
> download.opensuse.org/repositories/mozilla/openSUSE_10.2/ as we are
> running 10.2

Part of the issue with 3.0.x as opposed to 2.0.x has to do with a
different plugin standard (Netscape Navigator had the same issue
between 2.x and 3.x back when IE was a joke); if you have plug-ins that
you're used to with 2.0.x, you often have to re-download them for 3.0
and later because the plug-in spec changed.  However, I can safely say
that, so far, Firefox 3.0.x is the best Firefox yet (not just in Linux,
but Windows as well).

--
PGHammer
PGHammer's Profile: http://forums.opensuse.org/member.php?userid=192
View this thread: http://forums.opensuse.org/showthread.php?t=391352

0
PGHammer
8/4/2008 12:46:03 AM
richardstevenhack;1848391 Wrote:
> OK, so the fact that I had the Mozilla community in my repositories
> meant I got one instead of the other.
>
> That's still wrong. If the applet shows 2.0.0.16, that's what I should
> have gotten without my having to edit anything.

No, that's not quite true. If you want to stay true to the versions
installed with the core OS, then you shouldn't enable third-party repos
in the OBS.

The updater, at the end of the day, resolves based on versions, not on
repos. If the Mozilla repo had FF upgraded to 3.0, then you will
receive that as an update since you selected to include that repo. TBH,
you shouldn't have attached this repo unless you wanted to remain
current with the latest builds.

If you wish to revert back to the original, just disable the Mozilla
repo.  Then in Yast Software Management, select firefox.  It will
probably be in hilighted in red since your version is newer than the
most recent version in your repos (once Mozilla is disabled), but you
can still force-update it by selecting it, which will force Yast to
download it from the core openSUSE repos and bring it back to
2.0.whatever.

Hope this helps...

CHeers,
KV

--
else_where
else_where's Profile: http://forums.opensuse.org/member.php?userid=82
View this thread: http://forums.opensuse.org/showthread.php?t=391352

0
else

Web resources about - Why am I getting Firefox 3.0.0.1 instead of 2.0.0.16? - opensuse.org.help.applications

San Bernardino shooters identified as married couple, motive still unclear
SAN BERNARDINO, California — Two dead suspects, no motive, one mystery man and far too many questions. Police on Wednesday night identified ...

Peter Jackson Sets Turkish Court Straight On ‘Lord Of The Rings’ Lore Error
When you need help with something, you need to turn to the biggest expert you can find, probably a huge geek. That’s especially true in a case ...

Disney updates Star Wars: Commander with ‘The Force Awakens’ content
With just a couple of weeks to go before the highly anticipated theatrical release of Star Wars: The Force Awakens, Disney has gone full Force ...

Conservatives In Congress Vote To Deny Climate Change
Earlier we mentioned that the House voted to authorize unconstitutional domestic spying on American citizens yesterday. The day didn't get any ...

How Zuckerberg's LLC Could Be More Effective Than Charity
Mark Zuckerberg took a page out of his "hero" Bill Gates' book on Tuesday when he unveiled his new philanthropic group, but the Facebook CEO ...

Google refute’s EFF’s “spying on students” allegations
This is quickly going to be a he/she said, he/she said case. Google has naturally responded to privacy watchdog EFF's accusations that the search ...

Yahoo To Sell Core Business? Board Explores Sale Of Internet Assets
Yahoo Inc. will consider selling the company’s core internet business, with the possibilities being discussed in a series of board meetings being ...

Microsoft Has A Holiday Serenade For Its Apple Store Rivals
If Microsoft can't have peace on Earth, maybe at least peace with Apple will do. Microsoft's newest holiday ad , set to air on TV on Thursday, ...

Watch As New Batman V Superman Trailer Reveals What Unites The Heroes And Catch Wonder Woman’s Epic Intro ...
The second trailer for 2016’s Batman V Superman: Dawn of Justice has been under wraps for many agonizing months, but fans have finally been put ...

Texas sues US, relief agency, to block Syrian refugees
Reuters Texas sues US, relief agency, to block Syrian refugees Reuters AUSTIN, Texas A Texas state agency sued the U.S. State Department, ...