When I quit firefox (closing the window) and I run "ps -C firefox" and
"ps -C firefox-bin" both are shown as still running even a minute later!
How do I get firefox to actually close?

--
6tr6tr

6tr6tr

It could be killall firefox.bin

--
joerione
joerione's Profile: http://forums.opensuse.org/member.php?userid=38077

0
joerione
1/20/2010 8:26:01 PM
On Wed, 20 Jan 2010 20:26:01 +0000, joerione wrote:

> It could be killall firefox.bin

I find I occasionally have to do that myself - never really looked into
why.

Jim
--
Jim Henderson
openSUSE Forums Moderator
joerione;2107545 Wrote:
> It could be killall firefox.bin

Well I do that but I don't want to, nor do I think I should. Anyone
know why this is occurring and how to fix it? It's every time.

--
6tr6tr
6tr6tr's Profile: http://forums.opensuse.org/member.php?userid=12994
View this thread: http://forums.opensuse.org/showthread.php?t=431275

0
6tr6tr
1/21/2010 12:06:01 AM
On Thu, 21 Jan 2010 00:06:01 +0000, 6tr6tr wrote:

> joerione;2107545 Wrote:
>> It could be killall firefox.bin
>
> Well I do that but I don't want to, nor do I think I should. Anyone know
> why this is occurring and how to fix it? It's every time.

What version of openSUSE and Firefox?

Jim

--
Jim Henderson
openSUSE Forums Moderator

--
ken_yap
ken_yap's Profile: http://forums.opensuse.org/member.php?userid=221
View this thread: http://forums.opensuse.org/showthread.php?t=431275

0
ken
1/21/2010 2:06:02 AM
ken_yap;2107641 Wrote:
> Firefox can behave strangely if the other components it needs are not
> the matching version. Where did you get your Firefox from and when you
> updated, did you also get updates for things like mozilla-xulrunner,
> -nss, -nspr, etc?

opensuse 11.2

Firefox 3.5.7

And I downloaded firefox directly from mozilla.org (there were issues
with the opensuse one).

--
6tr6tr
6tr6tr's Profile: http://forums.opensuse.org/member.php?userid=12994
View this thread: http://forums.opensuse.org/showthread.php?t=431275

0
6tr6tr
1/21/2010 6:36:01 AM
Ah you're probably running a mix of a new Firefox with older supporting
components then.

--
ken_yap
ken_yap's Profile: http://forums.opensuse.org/member.php?userid=221
View this thread: http://forums.opensuse.org/showthread.php?t=431275

0
ken
1/21/2010 7:06:02 AM
6tr6tr wrote:
> And I downloaded firefox directly from mozilla.org (there were issues
> with the opensuse one).

and, now you have issues with the one direct from mozilla.org, so you
should ask them how to fix it..

or, revert to the openSUSE delivered Firefox and then post here your
"issues"....

if the issues can't be fixed, instead of just dumping Firefox and
moving to another browser, *PLEASE* do the right thing a report the
bug...otherwise no one will fix it, ever!!

yes, the software is "free", but by using it don't you feel a
responsibility to "give back" to the community?

http://en.opensuse.org/Submitting_Bug_Reports

think about it, and join in giving, as well as taking..  ;-)

--
palladium
0

The commands to kill it; as mentioned previously, are kill and killall.
Do a MAN KILL for more info; specifically kill -9. Personally, I think
of kill and killall as "blue balling" the process. Would you be happy if
you were blue balled?

--
[****... What'd I do to break this **** thing...] :sarcastic:
Suse 11.2
View this thread: http://forums.opensuse.org/showthread.php?t=431275

0
psybernetik
1/22/2010 12:16:02 AM
palladium;2107777 Wrote:
> 6tr6tr wrote:
> > And I downloaded firefox directly from mozilla.org (there were
> issues
> > with the opensuse one).
>
> and, now you have issues with the one direct from mozilla.org, so you
> should ask them how to fix it..
>
> or, revert to the openSUSE delivered Firefox and then post here your
> "issues"....
>
> if the issues can't be fixed, instead of just dumping Firefox and
> moving to another browser, *PLEASE* do the right thing a report the
> bug...otherwise no one will fix it, ever!!
>
> yes, the software is "free", but by using it don't you feel a
> responsibility to "give back" to the community?
>
> 'Submitting Bug Reports - openSUSE'
> (http://en.opensuse.org/Submitting_Bug_Reports)
>
> think about it, and join in giving, as well as taking..  ;-)
>
> --
> palladium

*sigh*

Nice of you to assume. I did all of that a while back (there's a long
thread following the issues) and I added my situation to a bug that was
already started for the issue on the opensuse version.

SO...now that I was done dealing with that (as of yet UNSOLVABLE)
issue, I thought I'd tackle this current one instead. And while firefox
may be the application giving the problem, I've (many times) reported an
issue like this there and they've recommended I use these forums since
they don't have specific openSUSE knowledge and not all linux distros
are the same. But, really thanks for the help.

--
6tr6tr
6tr6tr's Profile: http://forums.opensuse.org/member.php?userid=12994
View this thread: http://forums.opensuse.org/showthread.php?t=431275

0
6tr6tr
1/22/2010 1:16:01 AM
psybernetik;2108128 Wrote:
> The reason it's not shutdown is the same as daemons not shutting down.
> It's called a gracefull shutdown. The process receives a kill signal;
> clicking the X on the windows, and starts a sub-routine to properly kill
> the process. If the process is still "actively" doing something; like
> downloading or doing something with a file, then the process will stay
> active until it's completed then continue to shutdown. Occasionally, you
> get a zombie or idle process. A waste of resources.
>
> The commands to kill it; as mentioned previously, are kill and killall.
> Do a MAN KILL for more info; specifically kill -9. Personally, I think
> of kill and killall as "blue balling" the process. Would you be happy if
> you were blue balled?

Yes, but how do I diagnose this? I'm looking for something I can use on
opensuse to log everything it does including errors to see what's
happening when I shut it down.

Also, I'm now using firefox 3.6 and getting the same issue.

--
6tr6tr
6tr6tr's Profile: http://forums.opensuse.org/member.php?userid=12994
View this thread: http://forums.opensuse.org/showthread.php?t=431275

0
6tr6tr
1/22/2010 1:26:01 AM
*** I THINK I GOT TO THE SOURCE OF THE PROBLEM ***

I think I figured out where the issue's coming from and it's NOT
firefox. If I start firefox from the command line, it shuts down
perfectly, leaving no processes open.

However, if I instead start from the shortcut icon I put on the taskbar
that points to it (created via this method: 'How add icon/link to an app
in lower left taskbar? - openSUSE Forums' (http://tinyurl.com/yd6cyr2)
), THAT is when I get the issue with shutdown. So, does anyone know what
might be causing this issue in the shortcut and how to fix it?

--
6tr6tr
6tr6tr's Profile: http://forums.opensuse.org/member.php?userid=12994
View this thread: http://forums.opensuse.org/showthread.php?t=431275

0
6tr6tr
1/22/2010 1:26:02 AM
You're probably starting a different firefox, maybe the old one? Look at
the command it runs.

--
ken_yap
ken_yap's Profile: http://forums.opensuse.org/member.php?userid=221
View this thread: http://forums.opensuse.org/showthread.php?t=431275

0
ken
1/22/2010 1:46:01 AM
ken_yap;2108158 Wrote:
> You're probably starting a different firefox, maybe the old one? Look at
> the command it runs.

I looked at the command. It's the same exact one. (The icon has the
exact path and it's the same as the one I put in)

--
6tr6tr
6tr6tr's Profile: http://forums.opensuse.org/member.php?userid=12994
View this thread: http://forums.opensuse.org/showthread.php?t=431275

0
6tr6tr
1/22/2010 4:56:01 AM
On Fri, 22 Jan 2010 01:26:01 +0000, 6tr6tr wrote:

> Yes, but how do I diagnose this?

One way that comes to mind is to use strace - though you do need to know
something about how software works to use the logs created; but debugging
tools like strace and gdb can attach to a running process.  strace will
trace the system calls, and you might be able to see where it's looping.

But as I said, interpreting that output can be difficult if you don't
know what you're looking at.

Jim

--
Jim Henderson
openSUSE Forums Moderator
psybernetik;2108128 Wrote:
> Personally, I think of kill and killall as "blue balling" the process.
> Would you be happy if you were blue balled?

Ironically the Firefox icon is fox with a very large blue ball, there
must be a reason for that!
lol!

--
Certified Linux Engineer
joostvanrooij's Profile: http://forums.opensuse.org/member.php?userid=3557
View this thread: http://forums.opensuse.org/showthread.php?t=431275

0
joostvanrooij
1/22/2010 12:46:01 PM
joostvanrooij;2108342 Wrote:
> Ironically the Firefox icon is fox with a very large blue ball, there
> must be a reason for that!
> lol!

mmm... subtle wrong messages in advertising....

--
[****... What'd I do to break this **** thing...] :sarcastic:
Suse 11.2
Acer Aspire 5610Z
FSF Member #8193
psybernetik's Profile: http://forums.opensuse.org/member.php?userid=28474
View this thread: http://forums.opensuse.org/showthread.php?t=431275

0
psybernetik
1/23/2010 7:16:03 AM
On Fri, 22 Jan 2010 12:46:01 GMT, joostvanrooij =
<joostvanrooij@no-mx.forums.opensuse.org> wrote:

>psybernetik;2108128 Wrote:=20
>> Personally, I think of kill and killall as "blue balling" the process.
>> Would you be happy if you were blue balled?
>
>Ironically the Firefox icon is fox with a very large blue ball, there
>must be a reason for that!=20
>lol!

It is supposedly wrapped around planet earth.
0
JosephKK
1/26/2010 2:15:34 AM
Do you use add-ons, plugins? Have you tried running clean firefox or
with safe mode on?

--
marbpl
marbpl's Profile: http://forums.opensuse.org/member.php?userid=2480
View this thread: http://forums.opensuse.org/showthread.php?t=431275

0
marbpl
1/28/2010 7:16:02 AM
Had this for a while (hardly use FF, Opera instead). Phenomenon
disappeared after upgrade to KDE4 4.3, haven't seen it since. Noticed it
only since after using FF, on next login it would start...

Phenomenon only exists in KDE4.

--
- Athlon X2 6.0 GHz, 8 GB, 30 GB SSD, 1.5 TB, 9800GT, 11.2+KDE4 4.4
- ASUS K70IO laptop, GT120M-1GB, 4 GB, 64 GB SSD, 11.2+KDE4 4.4

*/usr/bin/make love, not war*
Knurpht's Profile: http://forums.opensuse.org/member.php?userid=783
View this thread: http://forums.opensuse.org/showthread.php?t=431275

0
Knurpht
1/28/2010 12:56:01 PM
Knurpht;2111303 Wrote:
> Had this for a while (hardly use FF, Opera instead). Phenomenon
> disappeared after upgrade to KDE4 4.3, haven't seen it since. Noticed it
> only since after using FF, on next login it would start...
>
> Phenomenon only exists in KDE4.

So are you saying that KDE 4.4.3 (does this even exist or do you mean
4.3.4) fixed this issue? I'm using KDE 4.3.4 and the issue exists for
me.

--
6tr6tr
6tr6tr's Profile: http://forums.opensuse.org/member.php?userid=12994
View this thread: http://forums.opensuse.org/showthread.php?t=431275

0
6tr6tr
2/2/2010 6:56:02 PM
6tr6tr;2114045 Wrote:
> So are you saying that KDE 4.4.3 (does this even exist or do you mean
> 4.3.4) fixed this issue? I'm using KDE 4.3.4 and the issue exists for
> me.

No, I just left the last number out...It's KDE4 X.X.X where X is a
digit. ;)

I'll have to get back on this, IIRC there was another thing. Try
renaming your /home/YOURUSERNAME/.mozilla/firefox, then start FF and see
if the problem persists.

--
- Athlon X2 6.0 GHz, 8 GB, 30 GB SSD, 1.5 TB, 9800GT, 11.2+KDE4 4.4
- ASUS K70IO laptop, GT120M-1GB, 4 GB, 64 GB SSD, 11.2+KDE4 4.4

*/usr/bin/make love, not war*
Knurpht's Profile: http://forums.opensuse.org/member.php?userid=783
View this thread: http://forums.opensuse.org/showthread.php?t=431275

0
Knurpht
2/2/2010 7:06:01 PM
Knurpht;2114051 Wrote:
> No, I just left the last number out...It's KDE4 X.X.X where X is a
> digit. ;)

Running from command line I see this error:

Code:
--------------------
    (firefox-bin:2260): Gdk-WARNING **: XID collision, trouble ahead
--------------------

Also, when I quit firefox (after starting from icon on the taskbar, it
went to 95% and then 98% usage of the CPU and just hung there (for well
over a minute until I finally force quit it).

When I quit from the command line it also went to 95-98% CPU BUT only
for about 5-7 seconds and then it quit. Whereas the one started from an
icon on the taskbar never quits.

--
6tr6tr
6tr6tr's Profile: http://forums.opensuse.org/member.php?userid=12994
View this thread: http://forums.opensuse.org/showthread.php?t=431275

0
6tr6tr

Firefox or not Firefox

Firefox,Mozilla Firefox,Firefox download,Mozilla Firefox download
Download Firefox Firefox,Mozilla Firefox,Firefox download,Mozilla Firefox download http://soft.topcities.com/Firefox.htm On 2006-11-28 20:04 (-0700 UTC), idownweb.com wrote: > Download Firefox > > Firefox,Mozilla Firefox,Firefox download,Mozilla Firefox download > > http://soft.topcities.com/Firefox.htm Mebbe it's just me, but isn't this kind of a silly place to spam with something like this? /b. -- 'There is caution, and there is irrational paranoia.' -- Ron Hunter Wow, now thats totally random. On 28 Nov 2006 19:04:38 -0800, ...

How to uninstall firefox 11 and keep settings same as in firefox 10 & reinstall firefox 10
Something must have not worked right with my upgrade to Firefox 11. I want to roll back to firefox 10 Is this possible to do so and keep all my settings, bookmarks, etc. as they are now? On 03/24/2012 02:30 AM, Private wrote: > Something must have not worked right with my upgrade to Firefox 11. > I want to roll back to firefox 10 > > Is this possible to do so and keep all my settings, bookmarks, etc. as > they are now? It's possible, but it doesn't make sense. What problem did you have with version 11? -- Christian On 24/03/2012 1:27 AM, Chr...

After closing Firefox 3.5.3, firefox.exe keeps running
Name: Product: Firefox Summary: After closing Firefox 3.5.3, firefox.exe keeps running Comments: After closing Firefox 3.5.3 by clicking X, firefox.exe keeps running for minutes, with spikes of high CPU usage. This issue is terribly common. Happens 8-9 out of 10 times and has been present since Firefox 3.5.0. Browser Details: Mozilla/5.0 (Windows; U; Windows NT 5.1; en-US; rv:1.9.1.3) Gecko/20090824 Firefox/3.5.3 GTB5 From URL: http://hendrix.mozilla.org/ Note to readers: Hendrix gives no expectation of a response to this feedback but if you wish to provide one you mus...

FireFox 3 Beta5 Bug
Name: Eli R Product: Firefox Release Candidate Summary: FireFox 3 Beta5 Bug - When closing firefox while Java applet is running the firefox process remains active. Comments: When closing firefox while Java applet is running the firefox process remains active. Browser Details: Mozilla/5.0 (Windows; U; Windows NT 5.1; en-US; rv:1.9b5) Gecko/2008032620 Firefox/3.0b5 From URL: http://hendrix.mozilla.org/ ...

Firefox, meet the Firefox
Name: brooks Email: brooksonleyatyahoodotcom Product: Firefox Summary: Firefox, meet the Firefox Comments: I don't know if this will go anywhere, but as both a die-hard Firefox user and an advocate for wildlife, I think it should be said.... As you may or may not know, "firefox" is the literal translation of the Chinese name for the Red Panda. Yes, the OTHER panda -- the cute, orange, raccoon-like one, not the big, black-and-white, bear-like one. Here is a link to an article at the National Wildlife Foundation [http://poprl.com/EIb], "Fighting for the Fi...

Firefox, and Firefox Portable
Name: Brian Email: silverdragona1ataol Product: Firefox Summary: Firefox, and Firefox Portable Comments: Feedback. After several hefty fallouts with AOL, and the complete dogs dinner we are presented with that they claim is worthy of using, be it the AOL9 browser, I decided to try Firefox.... I am very annoyed. Why?... because stupidly, I had not tried Firefox EARLIER.... I have now replaced AOL9 completely on all the family computers with Firefox... I am also TOTALLY bewildered as to how you can get a fully functioning Firefox to run on a USB Flash Drive......... I...

Firefox within Firefox
For a short time now (likely since upgrading to FF 1.5.02) I've noticed that when running a Firefox session, ZA will popup a notice that Firefox -- verified the same exe as the running one -- is "trying to access the internet." This is confusing because it's already accessing the internet, thanks much. However, the destination IP is always along the lines of 206.141.192.60:DNS, which translates to dns1.chcgil.sbcglobal.net, part of my ISP. So I've been saying yes. But I'm wondering why of a sudden this access is taking place, or being questioned, or what...

firefox companion for firefox
Name: william faulks Email: wf010a4342atblueyonderdotcodotuk Product: eBay Companion Summary: firefox companion for firefox Comments: great program, been looking for something like this for ages Browser Details: Mozilla/5.0 (Windows; U; Windows NT 5.1; en-GB; rv:1.8.1.3) Gecko/20070309 Firefox/2.0.0.3 ...

Firefox uses Firefox.

New release 2.0.0 does not apple-q quit or Firefox-Quit quit, application stays running
Name: Steven Bender Email: bitbanger55atmacdotcom Product: Firefox Summary: New release 2.0.0 does not apple-q quit or Firefox-Quit quit, application stays running Comments: I'm running iBook G4 with MacOSX 10.3.9 Panther and after updating to the new version of the Firefox 2.0.0.3 downloaded on 2007-04-28, I can no longer close the application using the apple-Q key combination, or the dropdown menu Firefox-quit firefox. I consider this a serious bug. Browser Details: Mozilla/5.0 (Macintosh; U; PPC Mac OS X Mach-O; en-US; rv:1.8.1.3) Gecko/20070309 Firefox/2.0.0.3 ...

Firefox keeps running in the background after I quit
Hi there: I found something strange with Firefox. I have been using Firefox from its early versions many years ago (I am a fan of it), nowdays I am using the latest version for Windows Vista (3.5.7). The problem: When I quit Firefox everything seems right, but then when I try to clean all my cache using CCleaner I receive the message that I must close Firefox first to clean my cache (I have already closed Firefox). I launch Windows Task Manager and although Firefox doesn't show in "Applications" lo and behold it shows Firefox in "processes". After I end Firefox...

Firefox Help as Firefox-->1.0...
It was suggested to me by fantasai that I post some info on Firefox Help to n.p.m.documentation (and I figure n.p.m.l10n wouldn't hurt, either, as a heads-up for changes that localizers will be working through ;-) ). I originally made the post to aviary@m.o, not thinking that it would be useful here as well. As of a couple weeks ago, aviary@m.o is world-readable, but given that it hasn't really been publicized as such I should have remembered that here would be the ideal place to post. Anyways, the state of (built-in) Firefox Help is as follows (slightly edited from original so as t...

I love firefox but i think there should be a firefox application for the iphone
Name: Kyle Burke Email: kvburke03atyahoodotcom Product: Firefox Summary: I love firefox but i think there should be a firefox application for the iphone Comments: Mozzila should make an application for the iPhone so Firefox lovers can enjoy it on their iPhone and iPod touch, just a suggestion - Kyle Burke Browser Details: Mozilla/5.0 (Windows; U; Windows NT 6.0; en-US; rv:1.9.0.1) Gecko/2008070208 Firefox/3.0.1 From URL: Note to readers: Hendrix gives no expectation of a response to this feedback but if you wish to provide one you must BCC (not CC) the sender for them ...

Web resources about - When quit firefox, it keeps firefox-bin and firefox running! - opensuse.org.help.applications