Virtualbox vmdk possible hard drive corruption

Hello,

I installed virtualbox hoping to be able to use quickbooks 2007
preimie, so as to avoid dual booting as frequently.

All went well, I had to download the version from sun and compile
because I wanted to try to import my current windowsxp partition and
most of the advice i found required creating a vmdk pointing to it and
copying the files or some non-sense.

Anyways, the problem is I mounted my windowsxp partition with the vdmk
and it wouldnt boot because of grub.  So i made it the secondary drive
to another install on Virtualbox.  I installed quickbooks on this new
install and imported some files.  Tried it out for a bit.  It worked.
And I shut it down.

Now the problem is my orginal windows fails to boot.  The Inital
windows splash screen shows up.  The flashes way with a BSOD saying i
should run CHKDSK.  Also, if i mount it under linux its blank.

So Im wondering if anyone has ever seen something like this?  Any
Advice?

Also, one other point.  my Sony VGC-RG210G has a SATA set up which isnt
capable of being seen by windows or any windows boot disk i have tried.
So I cannot find a way to run CHKDSK.

I have the Ultimate Boot CD ver 4.1 and i ran the NTFSforDOS CHKDSK but
it said soemthing about a missing Autochk.exe

Thanks for anything,

doss

P.S. I am also getting a S.M.A.R.T. high temp error on both my HDDs,
but no other errors and they both pass extended checks.  They are
running at a const 66C and 64C.  I really think this is caused my case
design, as my gfx card idles at around 76C

--
dossjh

dossjh

dossjh;1816099 Wrote:
> Hello,
>
> I installed virtualbox hoping to be able to use quickbooks 2007
> preimie, so as to avoid dual booting as frequently.
>
> All went well, I had to download the version from sun and compile
> because I wanted to try to import my current windowsxp partition and
> most of the advice i found required creating a vmdk pointing to it and
> copying the files or some non-sense.
>
> Anyways, the problem is I mounted my windowsxp partition with the vdmk
> and it wouldnt boot because of grub.

you missed the part about creating an MBR file. it's under section
9.9.2 page 122 of virtualbox's usermanual

dossjh;1816099 Wrote:

> So i made it the secondary drive to another install on Virtualbox.  I
> installed quickbooks on this new install and imported some files.
> Tried it out for a bit.  It worked. And I shut it down.
>
> Now the problem is my orginal windows fails to boot.  The Inital
> windows splash screen shows up.  The flashes way with a BSOD saying i
> should run CHKDSK.  Also, if i mount it under linux its blank.
>

> So Im wondering if anyone has ever seen something like this?  Any
> Advice?
>
> Also, one other point.  my Sony VGC-RG210G has a SATA set up which isnt
> capable of being seen by windows or any windows boot disk i have tried.
> So I cannot find a way to run CHKDSK.

insert your windows xp installation media, at fisrt start it should ask
if you want to use sata/scsi/something like that driver... continue the
process until you see an option that said "repair console or something
like that", select that option and you'll be at command prompt. run
chkdsk /some_options from this prompt...

sorry for the "something like that" statement. haven't repair a windows
machine in a while.

--
dsbhayangkara
dsbhayangkara's Profile: http://forums.opensuse.org/member.php?userid=135

0
dsbhayangkara
6/11/2008 8:36:03 AM
dsbhayangkara;1816206 Wrote:
> insert your windows xp installation media, at fisrt start it should ask
> if you want to use sata/scsi/something like that driver... continue the
> process until you see an option that said "repair console or something
> like that", select that option and you'll be at command prompt. run
> chkdsk /some_options from this prompt...
> sorry for the "something like that" statement. haven't repair a windows
> machine in a while.

The problem with doing this is, as far as i can tell windows XP refuses
to load the sata drivers from a cd or usb thumb drive and sony didnt
bother to include a floppy drive on this model either.

Man I hate windows.  If none of the files can be seen from linux is it
still possible all the files are there? Or am I wasting my time even
trying?

Thanks again,

doss

--
dossjh
dossjh's Profile: http://forums.opensuse.org/member.php?userid=646
View this thread: http://forums.opensuse.org/showthread.php?t=385576

0
dossjh
6/11/2008 3:56:03 PM
dossjh;1816403 Wrote:
> The problem with doing this is, as far as i can tell windows XP refuses
> to load the sata drivers from a cd or usb thumb drive and sony didnt
> bother to include a floppy drive on this model either.
>
> Man I hate windows.  If none of the files can be seen from linux is it
> still possible all the files are there? Or am I wasting my time even
> trying?
>
> Thanks again,
>
> doss

the possibility is high, i say about 90% or maybe higher...
try the sony website or ask their support for the sata driver. btw how
that windows installed in the first place? preinstalled?

--
dsbhayangkara
dsbhayangkara's Profile: http://forums.opensuse.org/member.php?userid=135
View this thread: http://forums.opensuse.org/showthread.php?t=385576

0
dsbhayangkara
6/12/2008 2:46:03 PM
Well, i got the sata drivers.  But the windows xp cd wont look for them
on a cd only a floppy.  I guess, since its more likely all the data is
lost anyways.  Im just going to give up.  I have quickbooks on a
diffrent computer now, so there is no need for windows on this one.

thanks

doss

--
dossjh
dossjh's Profile: http://forums.opensuse.org/member.php?userid=646
View this thread: http://forums.opensuse.org/showthread.php?t=385576

0
dossjh
6/12/2008 5:06:04 PM
dossjh;1817039 Wrote:
> Well, i got the sata drivers.  But the windows xp cd wont look for them
> on a cd only a floppy.  I guess, since its more likely all the data is
> lost anyways.  Im just going to give up.  I have quickbooks on a
> diffrent computer now, so there is no need for windows on this one.
>
> thanks
>
> doss

deleting windows always fun ;)
good luck to you then.

--
dsbhayangkara
dsbhayangkara's Profile: http://forums.opensuse.org/member.php?userid=135
View this thread: http://forums.opensuse.org/showthread.php?t=385576

0
dsbhayangkara

Plea for help
I got a new hard drive. I decided to use Partition Magic 4.0 to resize and move some partitions. Foolishly, I didn't back up first (hindsight being 20/20 and all). It got 93% of the way through moving the first parition, said "Error," said "Finished" and then waited to reboot. I no longer can see that partition in Windows. It's still there - Partition Magic can see it. But, the volume label is a bunch of seemingly random letters, and the format is called "Unknown." Presumably, everything is still there - it's just not visible. The ...

Data corruption in VirtualBox 4.0.4 from virtualbox.org
Observed on two host systems both with openSUSE 11.3 32 bit using ext4: When a big files, in this case a 1.2 GB and a 1.7 GB is copied from DVD, usb harddrive or shared folder into a Windows 7 32 bit guest system, the copied file is corrupted. The md5sum has changed and until the guest system has been rebooted successive md5sum tests on the same file comes up with various results...:O After a reboot md5sum tests show consistent results, but a sum different from the original file. Can anybody confirm this?? -- jotar ---------------------------------------------------------...

Corrupt Hard Drive
I know there have been many articles on corrupt hard drives but I only keep about 30 days on my machine. My situation is this: I had a Win98 machine that I added memory to and one of the memory chips caused the machine to boot with parity errors. I took the bad chip out (my machine does not require pairs) and overnight the machine hung. When I turned off/on and it booted I recieved messages that himem.sys, command.com, and a few other files were missing. I copied those files from another machine and it said that win.com was missing, etc., etc. I did a recover/re-install of Win...

Hard Drive help
I just installed OpenSuse 11.0 onto a Raid 0 configuration. I have 512MB for a swap partition, 32Mb for a boot partition, and over 250GB for my root partition. Here's my problem. My swap partition appears in the My Computer folder, as does my boot partition. But then under Disk Information, there is an icon for a hard drive with no info next to it at all. I assume that is my root partition will all the other info on it. I can access my root folder though. I would just like to see the information for the main partition I will be using. Any ideas? -- jortgonfreit -----...

Help Help Help Help Help Help

HELP!HELP!HELP!HELP!HELP!HELP!

Help with a Help application
 HelloI am looking for an application that can be integrated with my ASP.NET application to provide context sensitive help. When users navigate to different pages and click on the help icon, they should be able to see the help for the page they are on. The help text will be manually entered by a team that is not technically inclined.Currently, we have ASPX/HTML pages that holds the help information and link it from the header that has the help icon.Please let me know which products I can look at.Thanks! what I did: I put an help button on my masterpage....Javascript code on the maste...

Hard Drive disappeared, Help!
System Toshiba Satellite225cds ( laptop ) 16 meg ( was 32 meg ) win98 cd and floppy Problem History ( note this problem happened on two identical laptops once and was fixed by ungrading bios. 2nd laptop is still running well ) 1. on boot c: drive fails to be recognized. I had this problem before and solved it by upgrading bios. All went fine for months now I am back to square 1. 2. on boot hard drive light is on forever, then a request for "inserting system disk" comes up. If I insert boot floppy, machine starts, but only dos is acce...

Help with Possible Corrupted Database
A customer just sent me a database that they cannot start. This database serves an employee scheduling system for a hospital. Apparently backup was not working as planned and this database file may be all they have available. The hospital is now down and I have been unable to recover this db. I'm getting the following error msgs. With command-line dbunload, the log recorded this msg: "Adaptive Server Anywhere Unload Utility Version 8.0.0.2065 Unloading user "SYS" Unloading user "DBA" Unloading user "PUBLIC" Unloading user "DBO" ...

help help help help

Possible Hard Drive problem ...
During a clean install of XP onto a Maxtor 40GB hard drive, I've noticed that the initial copying of files into RAM (*before* any partition(s) are created) when booting from the XP CD is very, very slow. At first, I suspected the the CD-ROM. However, I changed the hard drive and repeated the install attempt and all of the files copy into RAM at the usual fast speed. The first hard drive seems to test fine, no problems. Any idea why the first hard drive would cause a slow copy of files into RAM during the install? Any specific tests recommended for that first HDD that is causing the ...

Help Help Help Help

Cloning Boot Hard Drive
So, I just replaced my openSUSE boot hard drive. I thought I would outline the process and procedures I used which was successful. What I would like to know is, could I have done this another way or done it in a better way? I would like to hear from you if you were able to replace your booting openSUSE hard drive and you did not need to reinstall openSUSE to make it work. I decided I wanted to replace my hard drive in the least amount of time with the least amount of work. This often means buying some product to do the task, but what product might that be that could work with e...

HELP! Linux is hogging my hard drive!
I have only recently installed open SUSE 11.3 and i would like to point out that i am totally new to this OS so please forgive me if i don�t understand your answer. During instillation i ticked a box saying that Linux could use the whole of my D:\ drive not knowing that by doing this i effectively wiped it therefore losing quite a few of my files >:(. Is there any way i could make it so that the drive can be accessed by my Windows OS and my Linux OS? Thank you in advance. -- Beep06 ------------------------------------------------------------------------ Beep06 wrote: ...

Web resources about - Virtualbox vmdk possible hard drive corruption - opensuse.org.help.applications

VirtualBox - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia
Oracle VM VirtualBox (formerly Sun VirtualBox , Sun xVM VirtualBox and innotek VirtualBox ) is a virtualization software package for x86 and ...

Oracle VM VirtualBox
New May 22nd, 2012 VirtualBox 4.1.16 released! Oracle today released VirtualBox 4.1.16, a maintenance release of VirtualBox 4.1 which improves ...

Oracle unwraps VM VirtualBox 5.0 with focus on security
After entering beta roughly three months ago, Oracle's VM VirtualBox 5.0 virtualization software is now generally available, offering faster ...

The VirtualBox 5.0 beta is finally here
VirtualBox, the open source virtualization system originally created by Sun and now under Oracle's stewardship, has released its first revision ...

VirtualBox updated with support for multi-touch platforms, in time for Windows 8.1 & Mavericks
VirtualBox, a free software package that allows you to run a whole range of virtual machines on your Mac, has been updated to provide support ...

VirtualBox update adds 3D support to Mac OS X-hosted VMs
Sun's VirtualBox, an open source virtualization solution, has been updated to …

Install Windows 8 on Oracle VirtualBox
... should things go wrong. If you only want a quick look round at the Windows 8 highlights, then, the safest approach is to install it on a VirtualBox ...

openSUSE 11 on VirtualBox
... system and I don’t have any second PC to use only for UNIX development I had to install all the stuffs on a Virtual Machine. I choose VirtualBox ...

VirtualBox 4.0.6.71416
VirtualBox最早是德国一家软件公司InnoTek所开发的虚拟系统软件,后来被Sun收购,改名为Sun VirtualBox,在Sun被Oracle收购后现改名为Oracle VirtualBox.因为他是开源的,不同于VM,而且功能强大,可以在 Linux/Mac 和 ...

Review: VirtualBox 5.0 vs. VMware Workstation 11
Oracle VirtualBox and VMware Workstation have been duking it out for several years now. VirtualBox occupies the “free and open source” corner ...