Update 2 11.2 installs with dial-up?

I have a Pentium3 & P4 with fresh 11.2 installs. Can I capture the
update files from one to be used on the other? These boxes aren't
connected together, but each has an unused LAN card if that would help.
Each box has a 56K modem that runs about 40K!
I haven't started the update process yet, so I don't know if there any
new options to the SW Management tools in 11.2.
Is this a pipe dream? Heboland.

--
heboland

heboland

heboland;2137333 Wrote:
> I have a Pentium3 & P4 with fresh 11.2 installs. Can I capture the
> update files from one to be used on the other? These boxes aren't
> connected together, but each has an unused LAN card if that would help.
> Each box has a 56K modem that runs about 40K!
> I haven't started the update process yet, so I don't know if there any
> new options to the SW Management tools in 11.2.
> Is this a pipe dream? Heboland.
In the case of KDE, the update for 11.2 is MASSIVE.

Any chance of you going to an Internet Cafe or to a friend's house, and
downlaod simply rip the entire official UPDATE directory on to a couple
of DVDs (or to an 8GB USB device) and then bring that back to your PC ?

--
oldcpu
oldcpu's Profile: http://forums.opensuse.org/member.php?userid=77

0
oldcpu
3/16/2010 7:56:01 AM
Thank you oldcpu!
My interest is to get the security updates.
Could you estimate the size of security updates to firefox and the
kernel for each kde and gnome?
The cafe isn't an easy get!
Tho I like kde, I have gnome on my DVD. At this stage, it's not hard to
start these installs over using gnome.
Reading between the lines the yast software manager must not have an
option to both update and locally save the same updates.
Heboland

--
heboland
heboland's Profile: http://forums.opensuse.org/member.php?userid=34382
View this thread: http://forums.opensuse.org/showthread.php?t=435192

0
heboland
3/16/2010 5:56:01 PM
One thing is for sure, there is no other linux distro which will give
you less download volume when running updates only from official repo.

(Hint: delta-rpms)

--
“Never attribute to malice that which can be adequately explained
by stupidity.” (R.J. Hanlon)
View this thread: http://forums.opensuse.org/showthread.php?t=435192

0
Akoellh
3/16/2010 6:46:03 PM
heboland;2137606 Wrote:
> Could you estimate the size of security updates to firefox and the
> kernel for each kde and gnome?No I do not know enough to make any such estimate.  I still go by my

oldcpu
oldcpu's Profile: http://forums.opensuse.org/member.php?userid=77
View this thread: http://forums.opensuse.org/showthread.php?t=435192

0
oldcpu
3/16/2010 6:56:01 PM
A little OT:

"Akoellh" Wrote:
> (Hint: delta-rpms)

Delta-.rpms still amaze me; their ratio of compression is stunning. It
really lowers traffic quite a big deal, and I wonder why other
repositories or distros do not use this (not that I've heard of at
least).

@topic: I support oldcpus hints. Updating via a dial-up-modem would
take days and probably would result in inconsistencies too, since the
update-repository would be newly updated before the running update is
even finished.

--
gropiuskalle
gropiuskalle's Profile: http://forums.opensuse.org/member.php?userid=731
View this thread: http://forums.opensuse.org/showthread.php?t=435192

0
gropiuskalle
3/16/2010 8:56:01 PM
Thanks to all the responders! Delta-rpms are something new to me. In
another lifetime I remeber how small the database was for a revision
control system that only stored the changes (deltas).

Maybe there is a similarity between the two.

No one drew much contrast between the security update volume between
kde and gnome, so I think I'll stick with kde.

Does anyone sell DVDs of the repros? I expect they would have to be a
snapshot similar to what I would get from the corner cafe.

Probably I'll let the SW Manager sync up with a couple of repros and
see what a security update looks like. I'll have to settle for updating
only one computer. Heboland

--
heboland
heboland's Profile: http://forums.opensuse.org/member.php?userid=34382
View this thread: http://forums.opensuse.org/showthread.php?t=435192

0
heboland
3/17/2010 6:56:01 AM
heboland;2137896 Wrote:
> No one drew much contrast between the security update volume between kde
> and gnome, so I think I'll stick with kde. I'm a BIG KDE fan, but IMHO the openSUSE Gnome is nice. My complaints
with Gnome are mostly its pulse audio sound implementation (while in KDE
pulse is disabled).   I have other things I dislike about Gnome (its 2
click implementation and its GTK YaST which has less features than the
QT YaST) but those are all fixeable.  However sound is a major issue for
me.  Still if ease in setting up sound is not a big factor in your
considerations, then IMHO Gnome is an excellent idea.

I believe the update download associated with Gnome, while still
MASSIVE is not as big as the even MORE massive update download
associated with KDE.

--
oldcpu
oldcpu's Profile: http://forums.opensuse.org/member.php?userid=77
View this thread: http://forums.opensuse.org/showthread.php?t=435192

0
oldcpu
3/17/2010 7:06:01 AM
Thanks oldcpu!
My interest in updating is mostly for security. I don't have a good
feel for how much the desktop is involved with security. With 11.1, I
updated the kernel and firefox. Kde 4.3 is adequate for my purposes.
What would be nice for me would be a service pack CD or DVD. I don't
expect to find any such product, however because of the linux variety.
Short of such a care package, I can take things from here! Heboland

--
heboland
heboland's Profile: http://forums.opensuse.org/member.php?userid=34382
View this thread: http://forums.opensuse.org/showthread.php?t=435192

0
heboland

Can not compile xmms-1.2.11. Please, help me. (configure: error: *** GLIB >= 1.2.2 not installed
OpenSuse11.3 download src xmms-1.2.11 ./configure .... checking whether the g++ linker (/usr/i586-suse-linux/bin/ld) supports shared libraries... yes checking dynamic linker characteristics... cat: /etc/ld.so.conf.d/*.conf: No such file or directory GNU/Linux ld.so checking how to hardcode library paths into programs... immediate appending configuration tag "F77" to libtool checking pthread.h usability... yes checking pthread.h presence... yes checking for pthread.h... yes checking for glib-config... no checking for GLIB - version >= 1.2.2... no *** The glib-conf...

Urgent help : updating from 2.16.2 to 2.20
Hi, I've tried to update from 2.16.2 to 2.20. I think I have followed the guidelines for updating using CVS. I cded to the installation directory and did cvs update -rBUGZILLA-2_20-STABLE -dP Upon running checksetup.pl some modules were required, which I then installed.After doing that I tried to run checksetup.pl again which now results in Checking perl modules ... Checking for AppConfig (v1.52) ok: found v1.52 Checking for CGI (v2.93) ok: found v3.15 Checking for Data::Dumper (any) ok: found v2.12 Checking for Date::Format (v2.21) ...

Installation 11.2 #2
Hello, I had 11.0 running. I have upgraded to 11.2. After the installation, the KDE environment is not boting as the default, but runtime level 5 boot instead. I have checked my installation and ensured to have KDE4 installed. Please advise how to have KDE boot. Cheers, rgmct. -- rgmct ------------------------------------------------------------------------ So is it the graphical login manager that does not appear? What happens if you run "startx" after login? -- openSUSE 11.2 What if Pinocchio said: "My nose will grow now"? -----...

11.2 M5: Updating it to 11.2 final?
Hopefully this is the right section for my question. Anyway, a few days ago I had to do a reinstall and I only had my 11.2 M5 live cd at hand so I installed that. After the install I added a bunch of 11.2 repos that I found on the site here and updated all packages (over 2 gig of updates). Now I wonder by having done that am I now running 11.2 final in effect? And also, would there be other things I need to do to get to 11.2 final? Here's a screenshot of how I have my repos setup: '[image: http://www.cubeupload.com/files/thumbs/th.fc5c00snapshot4.png]' (http://www...

installation help 3.2.2 AND 4.0.2
In installed both 4.0.2 and 3.2.2 in different sites but in the same hosting account.  With both of them i get the runtime error that tells me to change web.config to be able to view errors.I did that on both, (change key to <customErrors mode="RemoteOnly"/> and the messages still do not change.I cannot find an error log - the one unders the "Portals" structure has not been  created. Which leads me to several questions:1.  Is there a server setting by the hosting company that prevents me from seeing the details of the error, if so what is it and how is it changed?2....

11.2 install failure but 11.1 to 11.2 upgrade (partial) success
Machine is basically an ASUS mother board with an AMD64 Athlon x2 processor and Nvidia hardware RAID discs mirroring each other. It has been used as a server for about four years under various incantations of openSUSE. After a major software corruption a couple of days ago, I decided to install 11.2 from an iso image downloaded, MD5 check-summed OK. The DVD was burnt on an iMac at the lowest speed (x8) and verified correctly. Installation proceeded as expected from partitioning to the installation of the GRUB loader - which failed - but only with a warning. Of course any attempt...

Install 2.2 over 2.014?
Can I just download 2.2 and install over 2.014 or do I need to wait for the automatic update? Interviewed by CNN on 11/07/2011 17:31, Test told the world: > Can I just download 2.2 and install over 2.014 or do I need to wait for > the automatic update? Yes you can. -- MCBastos This message has been protected with the 2ROT13 algorithm. Unauthorized use will be prosecuted under the DMCA. -=-=- .... Sent from my McCauley Omnicom. *Added by TagZilla 0.066.2 running on Seamonkey 2.1 * Get it at http://xsidebar.mozdev.org/modifiedmailnews.html#tagzilla ...

Need help updating knetwork manager after 11.2 install
After I install 11.2 clean from the ISO, I would like to update ONLY knetworkmanager, and not all of KDE. I would like to use zypper commands similar to the one below, which work for KDE. However, I would like the syntax for only knetwork manager and not all of KDE Thanks! sample for KDE: # # please let me have the correct commands for # ONLY updating Knetworkmanager # thanks! # These work fine, but I don't want to update all # of KDE. I only want to update knetworkmanager # su root zypper ar 'Index of /repositories/KDE:/KDE4:/Factory:/Desktop/openSUSE_11....

can i move all device files from one 11.0.2 installation to another 11.0.2 installation with their server.cfg files ?
are there any problems n doing this ? ...

Firefox 2.0.0.10 closes automatically to install update to 2.0.0.11
Hi, who on earth implemented this stupid thing that Firefox 2.0.0.10 closes automatically without any warning to install an update to 2.0.0.11. I might appreciate an automatic update feature but I hate that an update is done without any user pre-warning. I can not accept that Firefox shutdowns itself to install an update. I was just accessing my mailbox to write an email and this was gone due to the unexpected shutdown. Please avoid such stupid things in future! Stefan On 8/12/2007 12:25, sw.nospam@gmx.net wrote: > Hi, > > who on earth implemented this stupi...

EA-Server 6.2 to PowerBuilder 11.2 EJB client update #2
I've been working off and on for the last couple of months in the attempt to create a model EA-Server 6.2 application that can return a PowerBuilder NVO and be used from PowerBuilder EA-Server clients, PowerBuilder EJB clients, generic EJB clients, and generic SOAP clients. As documented in previous threds that I started back in April, I was unable to get either of the PowerBuilder client models to successfully work with the returned NVO. My local Sybase branch connected me informally with a couple of folks from Sybase China and long story short, I was told to hang on unt...

Will 11.2 Milestone 7 Online update to 11.2?
Hi, If I install 11.2 Milestone 7 will it Online update to the final 11.2 once it is released or will I have to download the final release too and either do a fresh install or an update? I'm about to buy a new computer. Would people recommend installing 11.0, 11.1 or 11.2 Milestone 7 now before moving to 11.2 final release once it is abailable? Also, I'm deciding between a Core 2 Quad or an i7 Core based computer. Are there issues with either of these and openSUSE 11.0, 11.1 or 11.2? Thanks, David. -- djmills ------------------------------------------------...

Install EA4.2.2 on HP-UX 11.11 fails
I am trying to install EAServer r 4.2.2 on HP-UX 11.11. Installation fails: after all choices are made in the GUI, the installer fails after just 1% with the much-saying error : null. > I am trying to install EAServer r 4.2.2 on HP-UX 11.11. > Installation fails: after all choices are made in the GUI, > the installer fails after just 1% with the much-saying > error : null. Additional info : I was able to perform a complete "Client Install" which also dies, but then after copying 100% of the software. This is a multi-part message in MIME format. ---=_fo...

Help Installing 2.1.2
I am having problems installing 2.1.2 on my intranet server. 1) I unzip the files to a virtual directory 2) Navigate to the appropriate URL 3) The default DNN page successfully loads 4) When I login as either host or admin, it accepts the login but the page is blank (no modules or panes). No direct error message is given, but the URL in the browser shows: http://10.3.0.28/projects/portal/Default.aspx?tabid=1&def=errormessage Any Ideas? - Try <customErrors mode="Off" /> in web.config - Enable cookies - Press Cltr+[Refresh] in IEA fan of C#, che...

Web resources about - Update 2 11.2 installs with dial-up? - opensuse.org.help.applications

Can Facebook Advertisers Test Mobile App Install Ads On Their Devices?
Some Facebook advertisers are now able to preview their mobile application install ads directly on their mobile devices, complete with active ...

New Features to Mobile App Install Ads
Today we are happy to announce some updates to mobile app install ads to improve the experience people and developers have when viewing and creating ...

Facebook tries new designs for mobile page-Like and app install ads
Facebook began testing new designs for its mobile app install ads and page post ads this weekend. Following an update for Facebook for iOS, ...

Star Wars: The Force Awakens Drives Installs of Star Wars Apps
... Wars: The Force Awakens in theaters on downloads of Star Wars-themed apps on iOS and Android. AppsFlyer analyzed over one million app installs ...

Google is enabling Android app installs from search results
Google may be simplifying the way Android users install apps on their devices. Some users have reportedly been able to install new apps directly ...

How to install iOS 9.3 and get Night Shift on your iPhone without a developer account
... as earth-shattering either, but there's little question that they have users excited. And as has been the case in the past, you can install ...

Atelier 37.2 installs wooden bathroom inside Paris apartment
Paris studio Atelier 37.2 has added a multifaceted wooden volume to an apartment in the French capital to house two shower rooms

Android users will be able to install apps directly from search
... for apps on their respective mobile platforms, the main results appear on top inside their own panels. That makes them easy enough to install, ...