TV card, no channels detected, suse 12.1-kde

MSI Digital PCI TV Tuner Digi@nywhere A/D Plus

Hi all. I installed a TV card and connected the Comcast cable directly
to right one. I went to Yast->TV Card  and followed the prompts. I get
"no channels found". I did a software search for TV Card. I installed
"DVB". Still, I have no channels found. I'm going to try installing the
software on mswin to see if it's the TV card hardware.

I have all the latest updates for suse. Can someone help?   Thanks.

--
lord_valarian

lord

Sorry to be the bearer of bad news to you, but I'm fairly sure that the
device is unsupported under Linux.

--
Tyler_K
Tyler_K's Profile: http://forums.opensuse.org/member.php?userid=2127

0
Tyler
12/31/2011 1:26:02 AM
Tyler_K;2424469 Wrote:
> Sorry to be the bearer of bad news to you, but I'm fairly sure that the
> device is unsupported under Linux.

The card doesn't work on mswin either. Bad tv card, i'm sending it
back. Do you have tv cards to recommend?   amazon or price watch.

--
lord_valarian
lord_valarian's Profile: http://forums.opensuse.org/member.php?userid=3387
View this thread: http://forums.opensuse.org/showthread.php?t=470474

0
lord
1/7/2012 10:46:03 PM
You should look on 'Hardware Device Information - LinuxTVWiki'
(http://linuxtv.org/wiki/index.php/Hardware_Device_Information)
I personally use a WinFast TV2000 XP Expert card without problems (on
openSUSE 11.3).

--
pixecs
pixecs's Profile: http://forums.opensuse.org/member.php?userid=23570
View this thread: http://forums.opensuse.org/showthread.php?t=470474

0
pixecs
1/7/2012 11:56:03 PM
lord_valarian;2427694 Wrote:
> The card doesn't work on mswin either. Bad tv card, i'm sending it back.
> Do you have tv cards to recommend?   amazon or price watch.
I use Hauppauge WinTV USB on openSUSE 11.4

--
OpenSuse 11.4 with KDE4-4.6.5 on Intel I7 930 motherboard Asus P6T SE -
RAM 6 Gb
View this thread: http://forums.opensuse.org/showthread.php?t=470474

0
Viviano
1/8/2012 9:46:02 AM
A bit it depends on what TV-signal you want to capture. For satellite I
have good experience with skysat dvb-s (also HD). But the box should be
very well ventilated, the card gets otherwise too hot and after a while
a transistor may "whistle". Otherwise it is robust, very compatible and
cheap.
If you go for dvb-T and you want to use USB, please avoid the realtech
chipsets. They are currently not user friendly and several have still a
problem to be recognized by the kernel due to IP problems of the
firmware.
A good site to get information about linux and tv-cards of all kind,
included their compatibility is Linux TV as the OP stated before.
Again, if you opt for an internal card make sure ventilation is
sufficient. The main part of these have a high need of ventilation.
Good luck.
P.S.
Ah, I forgot: before ordering it is good practice to take the card that
is appealing to you and to copy its name into Google. Join the words
"Linux, Problem" or "Linux, Graphic card, compatibility, problem".
There have been cases of crossed incompatibility with some graphic card
producers. Less frequent these days but still possible. If users have
problems they rant. Google is therefore often very helpful before
buying.

--
Just "clicking away" security warnings about a change in repo signature
? Not able to control? Then please vote for
View this thread: http://forums.opensuse.org/showthread.php?t=470474

0
stakanov
1/8/2012 10:56:02 AM
Just as a note, the OP's card was a hybrid ATSC/NTSC PCI based device.

Given he was connecting to a cable provider (Comcast) he is likely also
looking for a device capable of QAM demodulation (for the available
unencrypted digital cable channels) ... the analog capture portion of
the device may or may not have been of any interest to him (OTA analog
is dead; who knows what analog stations are available on his cable
provider; he may wish to use capture on svideo/composite sources).

He did not mention if a PCI based device is a necessity or not ... he
may wish to consider alternative interfaces (PCIe or USB etc).

The LinuxTV wiki is indeed pretty current for the ATSC universe of
devices, so that should be a good source of available choices.

As for my own recommendation, I usually try to steer users to the
Hauppauge devices because they have been supportive of Linux.  In
addition, to that, a couple of the guys from HCW are also active
developers for the Linux V4L-DVB subsystem (on their own free time and
not sponsored by HCW in any way).   That said, others have favourable
opinions of other devices too -- for example the network attached
HDHomerun devices (which don't actually require a Linux DVB driver).