Still trying to understand..

Hey fellow Linux users!

Let me introduce myself to all of you, my name is Ben and I'm a recent
Suse 11.0 installer/user/novice. Let me start by saying Linux is so
amazing. I love the interface and its super stable and quick. I'd choose
this over windows anyday! I recently got a little interested in linux
about 3 years ago when one of my Compute teachers gave me a Live Knoppix
Cd. And I thought it was the coolest thing ever. But I still have a
little dificulty understanding how linux works. I mean I read alot of
websites and everything but its still a little confusing to me.

So I'm having trouble understanding installing application / files. I
know .rpm files install alot easier then lets say ( .deb, .b2z or
whatever). Can someone please explain to me why I can't install some
programs. I go to like Limewire.com and tried to download it from the
linux section. But it doesn't work, is there someone that can explain
this better to me or a website.

Thanks so much guys!

Ben!

--
BenjaminG22

BenjaminG22

Hi Benjamin

This 'openSUSE Concepts' (http://en.opensuse.org/Concepts)
guide is worth the read. It will explain how to install software, and a
lot of other topics useful to understanding openSUSE.

Installing Limewire: There is no rpm package available, so you need to
select the 'LimeWire for Other (OS/2, Solaris, Linux)' package for
download. This will download a package called 'LimeWireOther.zip'. Open
a terminal window (console) and type the following:

su       (To become root user. You'll need to enter root password)

Then you need to change directory to where package was downloaded. For
example:

cd /home/dean/Desktop

The zip file needs to be unpacked with

unzip LimeWireOther.zip

*This could also be unpacked by right-clicking on the icon, and
choosing 'Extract'.

A new folder called LimeWire should now be created with install files
present. Do:

cd LimeWire

Now install it with:
sh ./runLime.sh

Hope this gets you started. :)

--
deano_ferrari
deano_ferrari's Profile: http://forums.opensuse.org/member.php?userid=122

0
deano
8/24/2008 12:26:01 AM
> Hope this gets you started. :)

that is all well and good, but what i wanna know is what kinda "file
sharing" do LimeWire users share that require a turbocharger??

this <http://tinyurl.com/3zc8x5> is a google image search on
"turbocharger"...i'm pretty sure that you can't buy ANY of them for
only $21...and, none of them will speed up any "file sharing".. ;-)

of course, it COULD just be the kind of hype that Redmond Followers
fall for..
:peace: ymmv,
--
DenverD (Linux Counter 282315) via NNTP, Thunderbird 2.0.0.14, KDE
3.5.7, SUSE Linux 10.3, 2.6.22.18-0.2-default #1 SMP i686 athlon

Trust me, you'll be seeing alot of me. Suse is awsome!

--
BenjaminG22
BenjaminG22's Profile: http://forums.opensuse.org/member.php?userid=8939
View this thread: http://forums.opensuse.org/showthread.php?t=393519

0
BenjaminG22
8/24/2008 9:26:02 PM
Question tho, the limewire installation worked.

But like you said to use sh ./runlime sh

how do i do it for other programs, because you use "lime" what will I
use for other programs?

-ben

--
BenjaminG22
BenjaminG22's Profile: http://forums.opensuse.org/member.php?userid=8939
View this thread: http://forums.opensuse.org/showthread.php?t=393519

0
BenjaminG22
8/24/2008 9:36:01 PM

on 24 Aug deano_ferrari said:
This 'openSUSE Concepts' (http://en.opensuse.org/Concepts)
guide is worth the read. It will explain how to install software

READ THAT, and then if you still have questions, ask..

--
DenverD (Linux Counter 282315) via NNTP, Thunderbird 2.0.0.14, KDE
3.5.7, SUSE Linux 10.3, 2.6.22.18-0.2-default #1 SMP i686 athlon
0
DenverD

HELP!HELP!HELP!HELP!HELP!HELP!

Help Help Help Help Help Help

Help with a Help application
 HelloI am looking for an application that can be integrated with my ASP.NET application to provide context sensitive help. When users navigate to different pages and click on the help icon, they should be able to see the help for the page they are on. The help text will be manually entered by a team that is not technically inclined.Currently, we have ASPX/HTML pages that holds the help information and link it from the header that has the help icon.Please let me know which products I can look at.Thanks! what I did: I put an help button on my masterpage....Javascript code on the maste...

Help Help Help Help

still trying to understand session
Am trying to understand how session variables work with regard to datasets. I have a very simple sample application with two web pages. There's no user interface, just code behind which I trace to see what's happening. WebForm1, Page Load - Fill a dataset with records from the authors table of the pubs database, store the dataset in session, then go to page 2: Session("dsAuthors") = ds Response.Redirect("WebForm2.aspx") WebForm2, Page Load - Declare a new dataset and load it from session: Dim ds As New DataSet ...

help help help help

Still Trying to Understand GAC
So I GAC'd a component using gacutil.exe, which I found in my .NET Framework 1.1 installation directory (C:\WINNT\Microsoft.NET\Framework\v1.1.4322) I then modified the component, recompiled it, and re-GAC'd it. Then I verified that there are now 2 instances of the assembly, with different versions, in the GAC (using gacutil.exe /l). I noticed that my 2 instances are listed in both the programs\admin tools\Microsoft .NET 1.1 Configuration and Microsoft .NET 2.0 Configuration tools. But I also noticed that the .NET 2.0 list has more stuff, and some updated components (that I didn...

Help understanding PB Server applications?
Anyone, I am trying to understand if i can accomplish what I desire for my application from a PB Server application. Environment is Sybase 11.5 running on UNIX AIX boxes. My customer presently wants User interaction once a month to create an ASCII file that is essentially a Datawindow with a SaveAs performed on it. He then requires more user interaction to FTP this ASCII file up to another machine and then a Mainframe process will pick up this file and do its thing. Can I write a Server application(in PB) that is always running on a UNIX box that searches for today being the ...

I want to prepare help document for my web application like microsoft applications help?
I want to prepare help document for my web application like microsoft applications help? Is there a tool for building help pages ? Thanks There's a program called HTML Help workshop you can use... It's free but in my humble opinion it sucks... you may want to take a look at it anyway: http://www.microsoft.com/downloads/details.aspx?FamilyID=00535334-c8a6-452f-9aa0-d597d16580cc&displaylang=en Hope it helps...

Help understanding Server Applications in PB?
Anyone, I am trying to understand if i can accomplish what I desire for my application from a PB Server application. Environment is Sybase 11.5 running on UNIX AIX boxes. My customer presently wants User interaction once a month to create an ASCII file that is essentially a Datawindow with a SaveAs performed on it. He then requires more user interaction to FTP this ASCII file up to another machine and then a Mainframe process will pick up this file and do its thing. Can I write a Server application(in PB) that is always running on a UNIX box that searches for today being the ...

Help please
Hey all, I am using the perl-ldap module (to access MS AD, not that that matters to this question though :-). My problem is I don't understand part of the example code - it all works just fine, but using the "as_struct" method, I need to just display the "cn" attribute (I need to write the attributes in a specific order, so have to be able to write just one of the returned list - I can change what is returned with no problem). The code I am looking at is here < http://search.cpan.org/~gbarr/perl-ldap/lib/Net/LDAP/Examples.pod...

help help help
i wanna know the list of compite time errors related to code correction/programming errors in powerbuilder.thanks lot cenk That's a pretty big request. You want a list of everything it is possible to do wrong in PowerBuilder? What you might want to do is search the solved cases infobase on the Sybase web site. On Tue, 15 Jun 1999 11:50:32 +0300, in powersoft.public.powerbuilder.general cenk KIZILDAG <cenk1536@yahoo.com> wrote: >i wanna know the list of compite time errors related to code >correction/programming errors in powerbuilder.thanks lot > >c...

HELP HELP HELP
Hey all I ahve absolutely no idea where to start with DotNETNuke. I have downloaded and installed DNN3.2.2 and I now want to start creating my website with the help of DNN. I'm using .NET framework 1.1 and Visual Studio 2003. How do I go about starting a new webpage and using the DNN functionality to make manage my content?Thank you Have you installed DNN, yet? Either way, download the docs and go over the ones that you need help with. That's the best place to start. You can also find tutorials online that might be helpful.Michael Flanakin | Microsoft Consulting Serviceswww.michaelflanakin...

Help! Help! Help
Help! I am using the HttWebRequest classrooms and HttWebResponse and when I execute my application for the second time of the this error: A potentially dangerous Request.Form value was detected from the client (TextBox1="<!DOCTYPE HTML PUBLI..."). this is my codes: Dim req As System.Net.HttpWebRequest Dim res As System.Net.HttpWebResponse Dim sr As System.IO.StreamReader Dim s As System.IO.Stream Dim b As Byte() req = System.Net.WebRequest.Create("http://www.page.com") b = ...

Web resources about - Still trying to understand.. - opensuse.org.help.applications

Resonate Social For Facebook Helps Advertisers Understand Users’ Motivations
Why do Facebook users make the decisions they make? Resonate wants to help advertisers find out, so the digital marketing outfit launched Resonate ...

Facebook PMD Gigya releases Consumer Insights to better understand user identities
... allows marketers to easily query Gigya’s Identity Storage database and tie identity information with key performance indicators to understand ...

Genius by Rap Genius — Search and understand the meaning of song lyrics, poetry, literature, and news ...
Get Genius by Rap Genius — Search and understand the meaning of song lyrics, poetry, literature, and news on the App Store. See screenshots and ...

All sizes - Understand Abundance & Breath - Flickr - Photo Sharing!

Kate Micucci & Tony Thaxton - "Puppets Understand" - YouTube
Subscribe for more Nerdist Presents: http://nerdi.st/subscribe Written and Performed by KATE MICUCCI & TONY THAXTON Watch Duo: http://youtu.be/Tj5RLliHNMQ ...

Scientists continue search to understand Mers
The Mers coronavirus continues to confound scientists. To better understand the disease and determine where it comes from, a new project set ...

Explainer Video of the Day: Author John Green Helps You Understand Boko Haram
... in the news, but the situation in Nigeria with the Islamist terrorist group Boko Haram often gets overlooked and can be difficult to understand. ...

The Aussie rules love affair and one who can't understand it
Football (the AFL variety) and I have always had a tumultuous relationship. I've never really understood its allure, but it's always been there, ...

14 Accounting Terms Everyone In Small Business Needs To Understand
Like any profession, accounting has what seems to be impenetrable jargon to outsiders. But, also like most professions, the jargon is just shorthand ...

Tony Abbott doesn't understand the China challenge
The Australian government's new attitude towards China's foreign policy underestimates that country's determination to change the geopolitical ...