Root Partition Full How to Free Space

My root partition is full. How do I free some space? I have searched on
Google, but most of the solutions have something to do with a command
using apt-get, but because I am using YaST as my package manager, I
believe that the command I need will have something to do with YaST.

--
Paranelsus

Paranelsus

Paranelsus;2040544 Wrote:
> My root partition is full. How do I free some space? I have searched on
> Google, but most of the solutions have something to do with a command
> using apt-get, but because I am using YaST as my package manager, I
> believe that the command I need will have something to do with YaST.

Do you have one big partition, or do you have (at least) separate root
and /home partitions? Can you boot into the machine? Need more info.

FYI, Yast is the configuration tool for Opensuse. Among other things,
it can be used to install software, which is what apt-get does for
Debian-based distros (including Ubuntu).

--
smpoole7
smpoole7's Profile: http://forums.opensuse.org/member.php?userid=13513

0
smpoole7
9/16/2009 3:16:02 AM
Empty the trashcan. That should free some space.
You could also take a look at /tmp.

To help you, we need some output of commands:

df -h

du -h /tmp | tail -1

--
- AMD Athlon X2 6.0 GHz, 8 GB DDR2-800, 1,5 TB diskspace, EVGA 9800GT,
opensuse 11.1,kernel 2.6.29, KDE4-Factory+Qt45

There's one in every cloud...So leave the cloud in peace.
Knurpht's Profile: http://forums.opensuse.org/member.php?userid=783
View this thread: http://forums.opensuse.org/showthread.php?t=421944

0
Knurpht
9/16/2009 8:26:01 AM
smpoole7;2040552 Wrote:
> Do you have one big partition, or do you have (at least) separate root
> and /home partitions? Can you boot into the machine? Need more info.
>
> FYI, Yast is the configuration tool for Opensuse. Among other things,
> it can be used to install software, which is what apt-get does for
> Debian-based distros (including Ubuntu).

My system is split into separate partitions for "/home" and "/".

The command that I have found that the Debian-based distributions use
to free space in the root partitions is
Code:
--------------------
    apt-get clean
--------------------
.

--
Paranelsus
Paranelsus's Profile: http://forums.opensuse.org/member.php?userid=17674
View this thread: http://forums.opensuse.org/showthread.php?t=421944

0
Paranelsus
9/19/2009 3:26:02 AM
Knurpht;2040635 Wrote:
> Empty the trashcan. That should free some space.
> You could also take a look at /tmp.
>
> To help you, we need some output of commands:
>
> df -h
>
> du -h /tmp | tail -1

df - h produces

Code:
--------------------
  /dev/sda6              20G   19G  186M 100% /
  udev                  1.5G  124K  1.5G   1% /dev
  /dev/sda7              48G  5.9G   39G  14% /home

--------------------

The size of "/tmp" is 902MiB, and smpoole7, yes, my system is bootable.

--
Paranelsus
Paranelsus's Profile: http://forums.opensuse.org/member.php?userid=17674
View this thread: http://forums.opensuse.org/showthread.php?t=421944

0
Paranelsus
9/19/2009 3:26:02 AM
Do this
'Clear Temp Files at Boot - openSUSE Forums'
(http://tinyurl.com/dz446e)

--
Box: Linux 2.6.27.30-170.2.82 i686 PAE | Fedora 10 | KDE4.3.1 | M2N4-SLI
| AMD 64 X2 5200+ | nVidia 8500GT | 4GB RAM
Lap: openSUSE 11.1 | Celeron 550 | (KDE4.3.1)"162" | Intel 965 GM |
Lenovo R61e | 3GB RAM
caf4926's Profile: http://forums.opensuse.org/member.php?userid=204
View this thread: http://forums.opensuse.org/showthread.php?t=421944

0
caf4926
9/19/2009 3:46:02 AM
After that you may want to look at why you have used so much space up.

Perhaps check

Code:
--------------------
    du -h /var/log
--------------------

--
Box: Linux 2.6.27.30-170.2.82 i686 PAE | Fedora 10 | KDE4.3.1 | M2N4-SLI
| AMD 64 X2 5200+ | nVidia 8500GT | 4GB RAM
Lap: openSUSE 11.1 | Celeron 550 | (KDE4.3.1)"162" | Intel 965 GM |
Lenovo R61e | 3GB RAM
caf4926's Profile: http://forums.opensuse.org/member.php?userid=204
View this thread: http://forums.opensuse.org/showthread.php?t=421944

0
caf4926
9/19/2009 3:46:02 AM
du -h /var/log

Code:
--------------------
    4.0K    /var/log/krb5
  360K    /var/log/ConsoleKit
  4.0K    /var/log/apparmor/reports-archived
  4.0K    /var/log/apparmor/reports
  4.0K    /var/log/apparmor/reports-exported
  16K     /var/log/apparmor
  2.5M    /var/log/cups
  4.0K    /var/log/news
  9.1M    /var/log/YaST2
  276K    /var/log/mythtv
  464K    /var/log/audit
  420K    /var/log/zypp
  8.0K    /var/log/smpppd
  236K    /var/log/apache2
  8.9G    /var/log

--------------------

I was also told that old kernels would take up space. How would I
remove them?

--
Paranelsus
Paranelsus's Profile: http://forums.opensuse.org/member.php?userid=17674
View this thread: http://forums.opensuse.org/showthread.php?t=421944

0
Paranelsus
9/26/2009 3:16:01 PM
>   8.9G    /var/log

some of the log files in there are taking FAR too much space..
my _guess_ is a massive file (or files) named "firewall" and/or
"messages" and/or  "warn" and/or "zypper.log"..

there are ways to make those record less, and have the system compact
the files, and throw them out after xx days...

those way are discussed in previous threads in this forum as well as
the official documentation..

--
platinum
0
platinum;2044696 Wrote:
> >   8.9G    /var/log
>
> some of the log files in there are taking FAR too much space..
> my _guess_ is a massive file (or files) named "firewall" and/or
> "messages" and/or  "warn" and/or "zypper.log"..
>
> there are ways to make those record less, and have the system compact
> the files, and throw them out after xx days...
>
> those way are discussed in previous threads in this forum as well as
> the official documentation..
>
> --
> platinum

It seems as if I had an 8GB file named NetworkManager[timestamp]

Thank you for your help.

--
Paranelsus
Paranelsus's Profile: http://forums.opensuse.org/member.php?userid=17674
View this thread: http://forums.opensuse.org/showthread.php?t=421944

0
Paranelsus

Help passing authentication from root application to sub level application
Hi guyz I need some help on authentication. My site is structured as follows Root Site -> Main Application Sub Level Site -> Sub Application I have a web.config in the root application with the following authentication attributes set <authentication mode="Forms"> <forms loginUrl="Login.aspx"/> </authentication> <authorization> <deny users="?" /> <authorization/> And another in the sub level site with the same authentication attributes, but the loginUrl=”../Login.aspx” di...

ROOT PARTITION FULL!
Oh my god, i can't even tell you how angry i am! I spent the whole day coding one file, and now guess what: it is GONE because my root partition was full. Holy crap, who decided to split / and /home ? And whats about a warning if less than 1 megabyte is left on ROOT? What's the best way to free some space on / ? My df looks like this: Code: -------------------- df Filesystem 1K-blocks Used Available Use% Mounted on /dev/sdb6 8364900 7826548 113436 99% / udev 510720 256 510464 1% /dev /dev/sdb7 ...

Root partition full
Code: -------------------- gabriel@dhcppc1:~> df S.ficheros Bloques de 1K Usado Dispon Uso% Montado en /dev/sda2 20641788 19587920 5228 100% / devtmpfs 1026376 288 1026088 1% /dev tmpfs 1027932 4 1027928 1% /dev/shm /dev/sda3 284948380 202593252 67880564 75% /home -------------------- Being sda2 the root parition. I checked /tmp and it was 8 GB in size :O What can i do clear up some space? Is there any way of cleaning /tmp? Thanks -- assas1n -------...

Root partition full, why?
Not sure if this is the proper forum, however, I'll give it a try anyway. I had been copying "vmkd" files all of which are very large (11gig) each and later deleted them and it appears some I had deleted using "root" I reached a point when it couldn't do it and it said it couldn't because trash bin was full. Sure enough I found my root partition (20gigs) was full. I went root and emptied its trash bin which freed up about (4gigs) of space. I just set up a new system (11.2) on another drive and have setup it up with exactly the same programs as the ...

Help to free up some space
hi all.. I am running out of space in my root drive..only 138 MB left now... I have cleaned the temp files and removed some applications but no use... I was having kde 3.5 and upgraded gradually to kde 4.2.4 .. on each upgrade, I lost space ... I have both .kde and .kde4 folders in my home directory.. I have seen kde3 folders in some other places also. Can I delete these folders to free up space? -- sarin_cv ------------------------------------------------------------------------ If you mean that you have /home within your root directory, you can create plenty of space ...

HELP!HELP!HELP!HELP!HELP!HELP!

Help Help Help Help Help Help

Help with a Help application
 HelloI am looking for an application that can be integrated with my ASP.NET application to provide context sensitive help. When users navigate to different pages and click on the help icon, they should be able to see the help for the page they are on. The help text will be manually entered by a team that is not technically inclined.Currently, we have ASPX/HTML pages that holds the help information and link it from the header that has the help icon.Please let me know which products I can look at.Thanks! what I did: I put an help button on my masterpage....Javascript code on the maste...

partition full but not full
Why is df failing at subtraction? name@name:~> df -k Filesystem 1K-blocks Used Available Use% Mounted on /dev/sda4 20641788 4782352 14810796 25% / udev 510836 1244 509592 1% /dev /dev/sda5 194829436 125762364 59170232 69% /home /dev/md2 961423936 912586704 0 100% /backups name@name:~> df -h Filesystem Size Used Avail Use% Mounted on /dev/sda4 20G 4.6G 15G 25% / udev 499M 1.2M 498M 1% /dev /dev/sda5 186G 120G 57G 69% /h...

Determining free space on partition
Hopefully someone can benefit from this. I filled up a NSS Pool/Partition today and couldn't determine how to find out how much space was left on other pools/partitions. The only way the _I_ know of to find out how much empty space is left in a NSS Pool or NSS Partition is to go to the console, NSSMU, Pools, highlight the pool in question. It'll give a bunch of info about that Pool. Using NSSMU, Partitions doesn't help much because the pool size is [usually] the same size at the Netware partition size. I have found no way to make a pool smaller than the partition itself...

My root partition is almost full
Hi, my root partition "/" is growing so fast that it will soon become full. I don't know what to delete, is there an application that delete unnecessarily files like on windows? My root partition size is 20gb and I have 15gb used, is it normal specially that I recently installed Open-suse ? -- joker_med ------------------------------------------------------------------------ By doing a "Preview in file size view", I found that the "/var/log" folder is the origin of the problem (nearly 12GB). How to disable log files? -- joker_med...

SLES root partition is full
I've got an SLES 10.2 server that runs ZENWorks, Radius and does my backups. The other day, we noticed that the server crashed and was unresponsive, so we rebooted it, and got ZENWorks back up and running, but then noticed that the root partition was at 100% utilized. I've deleted at least 13gb of stuff from this partiton (which is 37gb in size), but a df -h still shows the following: Filesystem Size Used Avail Use% Mounted on /dev/cciss/c0d0p2 37G 36G 0 100% / udev 633M 140K 633M 1% /dev /dev/evms/VOL1 97G 56G 41G...

dos partition free space
I have 112 servers in my tree and I need a quick way to check the free space on the dos partition. What is the best way to do this. Dosfat.nss abends some of my servers, so I dont want to take a chance and use it. I am running nw5.1 w/sp5 and nw5.1 w/no sp. Thanks for your assistance! pooler00@dcor.state.ga.us, Get the RC.NLM File Commander from http://www.roletosoft.cz/download/default.shtml Once loaded on the server press ALT+F1 to change the view in the left pane. Select C: Next press CTRL+L to get volume information displayed in the right pane. The Avail...

free space on partition disappeared
Yesterday I tried to copy my home folder in another partition (sad4), when I rebooted sda4 was empty. But the real matter is that dolphin says to me that I have just 1 Gb on 29 free. It seems that the copy of my folder(14gb) was made in / and not in sda4. If I check all directories in / I can't find this copy, but if I use du and I check the dimension of all my directories I see 14 gb and not 29 !!! what can I do ? -- andrea_10 ------------------------------------------------------------------------ Do you know a file name of the things you copy ? If so ask for ...

Web resources about - Root Partition Full How to Free Space - opensuse.org.help.applications

Partition and secession in California - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia
After the California Constitutional Convention of 1849 applied for statehood in the current boundaries, the South reluctantly acceded to a single, ...

Explainer: Malcolm Turnbull and the incendiary idea to partition Iraq
This week, Prime Minister Malcolm Turnbull raised eyebrows by professing openness to a very controversial idea. He&nbsp;suggested that a partition ...

[Ermahgerd] Verizon Apps Spotted On The Nexus 6's System Partition After The Android 5.1 Update, Rustled ...
The Internet is in the midst of having a mini hemorrhage over something that, basically, doesn't matter. Shocking, right? It appears that a few ...

AOMEI OneKey Recovery allows you to recreate your PC’s recovery partition
AOMEI Technology has shipped AOMEI OneKey Recovery , a brand new tool that allows Windows users to create a custom recovery partition on their ...

How to partition your drive before installing Windows 10
Want to test Windows 10 on your PC? Create a hard drive partition for a worry-free install.

Paragon Software Releases Partition Manager 15
Partition Manager 15 software comes with file system converters to adapt the most common file systems including NTFS, HFS+, and FAT.

Kim Kardashian Slams Beyonce After Wedding Feud: 'KUWTK' Season 9 Instagram Star Blames 'Partition' Singer ...
It looks like Kim Kardashian is done trying to make Beyonce her new best friend. After putting in a tremendous amount of effort to get on good ...

Iraq: The 'idea of a soft partition came from the US'
Is Iraq headed towards a partition? The rise of the Islamic State group has highlighted the weakness of the central power.Myriam Benraad is a ...

How to partition your Mac to test OS X El Capitan
OS X El Capitan may be in Public Beta now, but that doesn't mean it's 100 percent stable. Here's how to put it somewhere it can't cause problems. ...