Latest Chromium - "--no-sandbox" error

After this morning's update to the 880 packages, Chromium, after
starting up, displays an error on the parameter "--no-sandbox" which is
found in /usr/bin/chromium. If I remove the parameter, chromium doesn't
start at all. Anyone else experiencing this.

BTW, if I ignore the error all seems to be fine.

--
- Athlon X2 6.0 GHz, 8 GB, 30 GB SSD, 1.5 TB, 9800GT, 11.3 + KDE 4.5
- ASUS K70IO laptop, GT120M-1GB, 4 GB, 64 GB SSD,  openSUSE Tumbleweed

ANYTHING THAT CAN GO WRONG.... WILL TEACH US

http://en.opensuse.org/User:Knurpht
http://nl.opensuse.org/Gebruiker:Knurpht

Knurpht

I get the same problem with the current chromium build on Tumbleweed
X86_64

Sandboxing is completely disabled it seems, since that option seems to
be given as a default upon starting chromium.

chrome://sandbox/ (inside chromium address bar)

Code:
--------------------
    SUID Sandbox	No
  PID name spaces	No
  Network namespaces	No
  Seccomp sandbox	No

  You are not adequately sandboxed!
--------------------

chromium --version

Code:
--------------------
    sh-4.2$ chromium --version
  Chromium 16.0.880.0
--------------------

uname -a

Code:
--------------------
    sh-4.2$ uname -a
  Linux rmk2 3.0.4-43-desktop #1 SMP PREEMPT Wed Aug 31 09:30:44 UTC 2011 (a432f18) x86_64 x86_64 x86_64 GNU/Linux
--------------------

chromium

Code:
--------------------
    sh-4.2$ chromium
  [7777:7777:340624416602:ERROR:renderer_main.cc(213)] Running without renderer sandbox
  [7781:7781:340624518232:ERROR:renderer_main.cc(213)] Running without renderer sandbox
  [7786:7786:340624822789:ERROR:renderer_main.cc(213)] Running without renderer sandbox
  [7793:7793:340625144241:ERROR:renderer_main.cc(213)] Running without renderer sandbox
  [7797:7797:340625297951:ERROR:renderer_main.cc(213)] Running without renderer sandbox
  [7803:7803:340625503219:ERROR:renderer_main.cc(213)] Running without renderer sandbox
  [7807:7807:340625599170:ERROR:renderer_main.cc(213)] Running without renderer sandbox
  [7811:7811:340625853320:ERROR:renderer_main.cc(213)] Running without renderer sandbox
  [7815:7815:340625980465:ERROR:renderer_main.cc(213)] Running without renderer sandbox
--------------------

--
rmk2
rmk2's Profile: http://forums.opensuse.org/member.php?userid=61919

0
rmk2
9/20/2011 2:56:03 PM
Mhm...

Sorry for double-posting, but I cannot edit the other post anymore.

Anyway...here is what -seems- to solve the problem for me, ymmv.

check the permissions of /usr/lib/chrome-sandbox, that's what it looked
like for me

Code:
--------------------
    sh-4.2$ dir /usr/lib/ | grep sand
  -rwxr-xr-x   1 root root  15K Sep 16 11:33 chrome_sandbox*

--------------------

Upon removing the "--no-sandbox" part from
/usr/lib64/chromium/chromium-generic, I got the following error:

Code:
--------------------
    sh-4.2$ chromium
  [8869:8869:342043092542:FATAL:zygote_host_linux.cc(141)] The SUID sandbox helper binary was found, but is not configured correctly. Rather than run without sandboxing I'm aborting now. You need to make sure that /usr/lib/chrome_sandbox is owned by root and has mode 4755.
  Aborted
--------------------

So what I ended up doing is:

Code:
--------------------
    sh-4.2$ sudo chmod 4755 /usr/lib/chrome_sandbox
  sh-4.2$ dir /usr/lib/ | grep sand
  -rwsr-xr-x   1 root root  15K Sep 16 11:33 chrome_sandbox*
--------------------

Afterwards, I removed the "-no-sandbox" switch from
/usr/lib64/chromium/chromium-generic (after a backup)

Code:
--------------------
    sh-4.2$ cat /usr/lib64/chromium/chromium-generic | grep exec
  exec $LIBDIR/$APPNAME "--no-sandbox" "--password-store=detect" "--enable-experimental-extension-apis" "--enable-plugins" "--enable-extensions" "--enable-user-scripts" "--enable-printing" "--enable-sync" "--auto-ssl-client-auth" "$@"
--------------------

Upon starting chromium next, sandboxing is enabled again and I have yet
to encounter any further problems.

chrome://version/

Code:
--------------------
    Chromium	16.0.880.0 (Developer Build 0)
  OS	Linux
  WebKit	535.3 (Unknown URL@0)
  JavaScript	V8 3.6.2
  Flash	11.0 d1
  User Agent	Mozilla/5.0 (X11; Linux x86_64) AppleWebKit/535.3 (KHTML, like Gecko) Chrome/16.0.880.0 Safari/535.3 SUSE/16.0.880.0
  Command Line	 /usr/lib64/chromium/chromium --password-store=detect --enable-experimental-extension-apis --enable-plugins --enable-extensions --enable-user-scripts --enable-printing --enable-sync --auto-ssl-client-auth --enable-seccomp-sandbox --flag-switches-begin --show-composited-layer-borders --no-pings --flag-switches-end
  Executable Path	/usr/lib64/chromium/chromium
  Profile Path	~/.config/chromium/Default
--------------------

chrome://sandbox/

Code:
--------------------
    Sandbox Status

  SUID Sandbox	Yes
  PID name spaces	Yes
  Network namespaces	Yes
  Seccomp sandbox	No
  You are adequately sandboxed.
--------------------

--
rmk2
rmk2's Profile: http://forums.opensuse.org/member.php?userid=61919
View this thread: http://forums.opensuse.org/showthread.php?t=465456

0
rmk2
9/20/2011 3:36:02 PM
As this applies to Tumbleweed, it is possible that Tumbleweed has not
updated to the new network repository; I don't get this problem with
chromium from the network repo.

--
john_hudson
john_hudson's Profile: http://forums.opensuse.org/member.php?userid=1134
View this thread: http://forums.opensuse.org/showthread.php?t=465456

0
john
9/20/2011 7:06:03 PM
john_hudson;2385979 Wrote:
> As this applies to Tumbleweed, it is possible that Tumbleweed has not
> updated to the new network repository; I don't get this problem with
> chromium from the network repo.

You're so very right: I posted in the Applications forums, not knowing
whether this was due to a general package error, or just to the
Tumbleweed version. Yet my packages come from the
network:chromium:Tumbleweed repo. The old repo does not serve updated
packages anymore.

--

Knurpht's Profile: http://forums.opensuse.org/member.php?userid=783
View this thread: http://forums.opensuse.org/showthread.php?t=465456

0
Knurpht
9/20/2011 7:26:03 PM
Knurpht;2385985 Wrote:
> You're so very right: I posted in the Applications forums, not knowing
> whether this was due to a general package error, or just to the
> Tumbleweed version. Yet my packages come from the
> network:chromium:Tumbleweed repo. The old repo does not serve updated
> packages anymore.
>
> Edit: I applied the chmod 4755, editted /usr/bin/chromium with exactly
> the same results as mentioned above by @rmk2. Chromium running smoothly,
> sandbox error gone.

I am using the same repository. And it's good that the problem seems to
be the same. Gives at least some consistency... ;)

I guess the question remains though what causes this problem, but
without more people either having the problem or the update working
fine, it's hard to tell. The question also remains why Chromium for
Tumbleweed starts with the "--no-sandbox" switch enabled by default. It
might be a leftover from testing before compiling or resolving issues.
But at least it is easily fixable. I guess it's hard to tell if it is
Tumbleweed by itself, has to do with architecture or some more general
things...

--
rmk2
rmk2's Profile: http://forums.opensuse.org/member.php?userid=61919
View this thread: http://forums.opensuse.org/showthread.php?t=465456

0
rmk2
9/20/2011 8:06:02 PM
On Tue, 20 Sep 2011 19:06:03 GMT john hudson wrote:

> As this applies to Tumbleweed, it is possible that Tumbleweed has not
> updated to the new network repository; I don't get this problem with
> chromium from the network repo.

I recognized the same with this repo:

http://download.opensuse.org/repositories/network:/chromium/openSUSE_11.4/

Therefore i don't think it is the repo and i start it this way:

/etc/alternatives/chromium -> /usr/lib/chromium/chromium-generic

Perhaps the problems don't happens with chromium-kde or chromium-gnome.
0
Ferenginar
9/21/2011 5:19:30 AM
Ferenginar;2386140 Wrote:
> On Tue, 20 Sep 2011 19:06:03 GMT john hudson wrote:
>
> > As this applies to Tumbleweed, it is possible that Tumbleweed has
> not
> > updated to the new network repository; I don't get this problem with
> > chromium from the network repo.
>
> I recognized the same with this repo:
>
> 'Index of /repositories/network:/chromium/openSUSE_11.4'
> (http://tinyurl.com/3lebwb7)
>
> Therefore i don't think it is the repo and i start it this way:
>
> /etc/alternatives/chromium -> /usr/lib/chromium/chromium-generic
>
> Perhaps the problems don't happens with chromium-kde or chromium-gnome.

chromium-generic is basically just a shell-script that checks a couple
of enviromental variables and looks for meego, then executes chromium
with a list of command-line switches. It also prints some warnings if
/tmp isn't accessible etc.

it's basically a string of soft links: /usr/bin/chromium →
/etc/alternatives/chromium → /usr/lib(64)/chromium/chromium-generic,
whereas the last one in the end calls the chromium binary
/usr/lib(64)/chromium/chromium like so:

Code:
--------------------
    exec $LIBDIR/$APPNAME "--no-sandbox" "--password-store=detect" "--enable-experimental-extension-apis" "--enable-plugins" "--enable-extension\
  s" "--enable-user-scripts" "--enable-printing" "--enable-sync" "--auto-ssl-client-auth" "$@"
--------------------

As stated earlier, the "--no-sandbox"-switch is what causes this
problem. It is safe to change this script, since all it does is give a
number of options to the actual binary. The whole problem described in
this thread isn't related to chromium's binary, but rather to its
startup script.

As to why the script is used, I suppose it makes it easier to start
chromium regardless of the underlying platform and to pass a number of
(default or custom) command-line switches...

You can also circumvent the script by calling the binary
/usr/lib(64)/chromium directly...

--
rmk2
rmk2's Profile: http://forums.opensuse.org/member.php?userid=61919
View this thread: http://forums.opensuse.org/showthread.php?t=465456

0
rmk2
9/21/2011 12:46:03 PM
On Wed, 21 Sep 2011 12:46:03 GMT rmk2 wrote:

> chromium-generic is basically just a shell-script that checks a couple
> of enviromental variables and looks for meego, then executes chromium
> with a list of command-line switches. It also prints some warnings if
> /tmp isn't accessible etc.

Yes i know this and i even edit this file because chromium has no
config gui to set the cache directory or the proxy (under lxde). :)

But still again there is the the question why john hudson said that all
works fine for him and if i start chromium directly i got this:

# /usr/lib/chromium/chromium
[9131:9131:900918771:FATAL:zygote_host_linux.cc(141)] The SUID sandbox
helper binary was found, but is not configured correctly. Rather than
run without sandboxing I'm aborting now. You need to make sure
that /usr/lib/chrome_sandbox is owned by root and has mode 4755.
Abgebrochen

0
Ferenginar

Error error error, help me
Hello, How do I populate a drop down list in asp.net from a database? I have a block of vbscript code that does the server side coding for it. My code is as follows.. <script language="vb" runat="server"> Dim objConn As OleDbConnection = New OleDbConnection("Provider=Microsoft.Jet.OLEDB.4.0;Data Source=c:\data\employee.mdb;") Dim Sql, valEmp As String Dim objDREmp as OleDbDataReader Sub FillEmployeeName(sender As Object, e As System.EventArgs) Sql = "select * from [Employee]" Dim objCommand As Ole...

Runtime error: 'An application error occurred on the server. The current custom error settings for this application prevent the details of the application error from being viewed remotely (for securit
Hi, p, li { white-space: pre-wrap; } I'm trying to create a web site in a windows 2003 server. It's just an empty page, the default one created by VS2008, with nothing in it. I create the site from my remote computer, connecting to the server (I have access to the server as well with a virtual desktop).  When I try to launch a web site in a remote site (F5 or Ctrl-F5) I get the Runtime Error: 'An application error occurred on the server. The current custom error settings for this application prevent the details of the application error from being viewed remotely (...

Application Error Need Help need help bad!!!!!!!!!
Hi I seem to have a huge problem on my hands.  I launched my website MyDesignerResource.com and used visual web developer to create dynamic pages.  I tried to put those on my webpage but everytime you login etc it gives me an application error.  I cannot figure out how setup the asp.net and sql server express 2005.  I tried everything i converted it to a .sql but i do not know what to put in the strings etc.  Could someone walk me through the steps in doing this.  By the way im using godaddy.com for my webhosting and i have a database setup there i just cant tak...

An application error occurred on the server. The current custom error settings for this application prevent the details of the application error from being viewed remotely (for security reasons). It c
*** Repost of original locked thread of "webmaster@dotcom-sys.com" *** Server Error in '/' Application. -------------------------------------------------------------------------------- Runtime Error Description: An application error occurred on the server. The current custom error settings for this application prevent the details of the application error from being viewed remotely (for security reasons). It could, however, be viewed by browsers running on the local server machine. Details: To enable the details of this specific error message to be viewable on rem...

Server Error in '/' Application? Need help figuring out error message
I have successfuly created a web application, and have built and ran it on my PC under inetpub/wwwroot. Now when I deploy it to the company web server and try to run it I get the following error message. The message does not give me enough information to figure out what is wrong. Could someone pleae help me out?Here is the message:Server Error in '/' Application. Parser Error Description: An error occurred during the parsing of a resource required to service this request. Please review the following specific parse error details and modify your source file appropriately. Parser Error ...

Application Error
We use PowerBuilder 7.0 for many/many things here. But, we are having a problem with a single application. It's a very small app, with only one window. The single window has about 30 functions. What happens, is when you try to add or duplicate a function, you get an application error. It's the same error every time. It's about 50/50 on when it happens. It either happens right when you try to add it, or it can happen when you try to save it. The error is "The instruction at "0x114521b8" referenced memory at "0x41000021". The memory could not be &...

Help! Application error?
When I run my application( PB7.0). I try to modify the date value in datawindow.Then,that column flashs continuous and crash the system. Application error occurs: "The exception unknown software exception(0xc00000fd) occurred in the application at location 0x77f4738e." What does it mean? Any Ideas to solve that problem? Same application run on PB5 is no that problem. Thanks in advance. Do you have any code in the losefocus event of the datawindow? Are you entering a correct date or an incorrect date when this happens? Is this an edit mask or just an sle? ...

application profile error in visual studio 2005 please help ( not a member of profile error).
hi, i m total novice to asp.net i m using profile object in a page therefore i have gone through some of the video tutorials on ASP.net sites i have watched video hilo_profile-themes_final devoloped for visual web devoloper but problem is i m using visual studio 2005 according to the video i have created the default page with following code <%@ Page Language="vb" AutoEventWireup="false" CodeBehind="Default.aspx.vb" Inherits="WebApplication1._Default" %><!DOCTYPE html PUBLIC "-//W3C//DTD XHTML 1.0 Transitional//EN" "ht...

HELP!HELP!HELP!HELP!HELP!HELP!

Help Help Help Help Help Help

Help with a Help application
 HelloI am looking for an application that can be integrated with my ASP.NET application to provide context sensitive help. When users navigate to different pages and click on the help icon, they should be able to see the help for the page they are on. The help text will be manually entered by a team that is not technically inclined.Currently, we have ASPX/HTML pages that holds the help information and link it from the header that has the help icon.Please let me know which products I can look at.Thanks! what I did: I put an help button on my masterpage....Javascript code on the maste...

Help Help Help me!!!!!!!!!!!!!! Insert data error
Please tell me .Where is error in this code!Thanks  private void Button3_Click(object sender, System.EventArgs e)  {   OleDbConnection myCon=new OleDbConnection("Provider=Microsoft.Jet.OleDb.4.0; Data Source=" + Server.MapPath ( "db/db.mdb"));   string sql="Insert into Student (name,password) Values (@name,@password)";   OleDbCommand myCom=new OleDbCommand( );   myCom.CommandType=CommandType.Text;   myCom.Connection=myCon;   myCom.CommandText=sql;    my...

Please HELP It is an error to use a section registered as allowDefinition='MachineToApplication' beyond application level. This error can be caused by a virtual directory not being configured as an ap
I have: It is an error to use a section registered as allowDefinition='MachineToApplication' beyond application level. This error can be caused by a virtual directory not being configured as an application in IIS. I found: http://www.microsoft.com/technet/community/columns/insider/iisi0204.mspx and http://www.microsoft.com/technet/community/columns/insider/iisi0103.mspx but still can not FIX it can someone give me link what to do 1 by 1 to fix it 10x valhttp://www.montrealads.cahttp://www.whoiswho.cahttp://www.bluelabs.ca Hi, 1. Open the IIS Control Pan...

Help with Excel.Application error!
I'm trying to open an Excel file, and populate certain fields with data, then save it. However, I keep getting the following error: Compiler Error Message: BC30002: Type 'Excel.Application' is not defined. Source Error: Line 77: Sub CreateExcelForm() Line 78: Line 79: Dim MyExcel As New Excel.Application() Line 80: Dim oWorkbooks As Excel.Workbooks = MyExcel.Workbooks Line 81: Dim theWorkbook As Excel.Workbook = oWorkbooks.Add I've tried importing numerous namespaces, but still no luck. I've used the following: <%@ Import Namespace = "System.IO...

Help with .Text
I have been scouring this forum for a possible answer and I think I have exausted my search, now employ anyone who might help. I have a mulit blog site set up, http://www.mydomain.com/blog1... where the community page loads just fine, but I get an error when I try and pull up the different blogs: ..Text - Application Error! Details The resource you requested could not be found. I am using Multi2_Web.config. Funny thing is, when I type in http://www.mydomain.com/blog1/admin, the main web site is actually loaded like I would normally expect to see at http://www.mydomain.c...

Web resources about - Latest Chromium - "--no-sandbox" error - opensuse.org.help.applications