how to convert Access MDB file into an ASCII file ?

Hi,

I have opensuse 11 installed.  I would like to know if from this OS,
there's a way to export a Table from Microsoft Access MDB file, into CSV
or ASCII text format?  But I need it to run from the shell, because I
would like to put this command into a script to run automatically.

For example, something like this:

mdbtools <filename.mdb> <table name> <output_filename.txt>

--
newbie09

newbie09

Trouble with access is that it uses microsoft's own formatting and not
that many average people use access compared to word or excel. This
means that most linux or even non M$ Office  windows programs will read
access files.
The best way to get it converted is directly in windows from a running
version of access.
Another way would be to use an odbc connection to the database file and
use sql commands to export the tables. Trouble is, I don't think you
will find a linux odbc connector for access.

--
whych
whych's Profile: http://forums.opensuse.org/member.php?userid=13593

0
whych
7/21/2009 8:56:01 AM
If the file is not too complicated, you could import the fields into an
Excel file, save it, open it in OpenOffice and export as CSV.

(That would give you the Linux line endings rather than the Windows
ones).

--
john_hudson
john_hudson's Profile: http://forums.opensuse.org/member.php?userid=1134
View this thread: http://forums.opensuse.org/showthread.php?t=418496

0
john
7/21/2009 6:36:03 PM
When you have mdbtools installed, you can use mdb-export to export a
table from an mdb file to csv

mdb-export file.mdb tablename > file.csv

--
MadKow
MadKow's Profile: http://forums.opensuse.org/member.php?userid=31161
View this thread: http://forums.opensuse.org/showthread.php?t=418496

0
MadKow
7/21/2009 7:46:02 PM
You can use Pentaho Data Integration (aka Kettle) for that.

You create a transformation in a GUI (called spoon). You can run the
transformation from within the GUI or through the commandline using
pan.

If you're going to do "stuff" with that data you might want to check it
out - it's a very powerful open source suite of tools.

Cheers

--
blender1968
blender1968's Profile: http://forums.opensuse.org/member.php?userid=21014
View this thread: http://forums.opensuse.org/showthread.php?t=418496

0
blender1968

Integrating do I integrate all help files
How do I integrate PFC, sybase and powerbuilderhelp files together help such that I can get help on all issues (PFC, sybase and powerbuilderhelp ) through powerbuilder's help-content menu only . Please don't cross-post. On 1 Nov 2004 12:34:08 -0700, "Damola adesuyi" <someone@microsoft.com> wrote: >How do I integrate PFC, sybase and powerbuilderhelp files together help such >that I can get help on all issues (PFC, sybase and powerbuilderhelp ) >through powerbuilder's help-content menu only . > Bruce Armstrong [TeamSybase] http://www....

How to convert the access 97 mdb file to access 2000 mdb?
i am using the PB6.5 with access 97 mdb file, as my access file contain some PB functions in it, and now i need to convert that mdb to access 2000, i tried, but i lost all the PB functions, can anyone tell me how to keep the file in new format but keep the old function. ...

File Manager Application With Custom File Access
Hello,  Thanks in advance for any tips.   I am building a file management application which will allow file markup/sharing across the internet for all ms office, adobe pdf, photographs and other document formats.  The docs will be marked up with add-in components that are not built yet. I have decided to start with building on a file permissions module.  I understand changing FileAttributes with IO.File.SetAttributes methods(i.e. user sets file to read-only), but that does not address file permission for multiple users.   The application wil...

Convert ascii file to utf-8 file
If I want the results from a select statement written into a file i'll use: select * from employee go output to employee.csv format ASCII but now I got the question to change the format into utf-8. how do I do that ? Or instead of usingthe format ascii I have to use UTF-8 You can use the ENCODING clause or set a temporary option as in: OUTPUT .... FROMAT ASCII ENCODING=UTF-8 or SET TEMPORARY OPTION DEFAULT_ISQL_ENCODING = 'UTF-8' [though there seems to be some confusion of whether or not that should be 'UTF8' without/with a hyphen] ...

Converting .doc file to img file and access in the page
Hi,   I want to upload a word file to image file after convertion.And i also want to call it from a webpage plz help me any body.   lasinalasina...

Convert html files into pdf files in asp.net application
HI, not quiet sure if there is the right place to ask this question. But I will try I am developing a web tha have to create a collecion of html and than covert them into pdf files. All it has to be done at the server side, that is not at design time. Have .Net  a component for doing that? anu free converter?? Any help will be appreciate. Than you Hello MAlex001, I suppose the using XSL-FO is neat way for this without havin' dependencies to 3rd part libs M> sure if there is the right place to ask this question. But I will try M> M> I am developing a we...

Help : How to Convert JPEF File to Video Files(.avi or .mov)
Hi.How to convert jpeg File to any video file.e.g : I have 10 jpeg file and I only need to see the preview of this 10 file as Video.I m doing project in C#.NET.Help wud be appreciated....

to file:// or not to file://
(Firefox 1.5.0.6) I'm having trouble with HTML Anchors (links) using the file: protocol. The URL I'm trying to get at looks something like this file://///Host.Domain/Share/Dir1/Dir2/File.Ext If I click on the link, /nothing/ happens but, if I "Copy Link Location" and paste exactly the same thing into the "address bar" in FireFox, FireFox is perfectly happy to show me the file. Why the difference? Am I tripping over some security restriction here? Any suggestions? TIA, Phill W. Phill W. wrote: > (Firefox 1.5.0.6) > I'm ...

Help...copy file when the source file is open by another application
CopyFile does not work if the source is open. Please give me an example how to copy in that case the file from source to destination. Thanks. BB DD <> wrote: >CopyFile does not work if the source is open. Please give me an example how to copy in that case the file from source to destination. Thanks. Open the file in read-only mode. If the file cannot be opened in read-only mode, it can not be copied. Open the destination file. Read the source file. Write the destination file. Repeat until done. Close both files. ... ...

upload multi files, then attach file, then delete files help
Hi, I have a web form that needs do three things in one time when user click "submit" button. 1. upload multi files into web server (In know how to do this part) 2. send a email with these uploaded file to another user. 3. delete these uploaded files from web server. I know how to do 1). But, do not know 2) and 3). I know how to send email without attachment, But, once I add attachments. it does not work. Please help. Many thanks. Xiuxain Hi there, Please check the following links.. Sending Attachments and to delete file .. imports sys...

asp.net file upload control does not work for access *.mdb files
Hi I need to copy an access database file on the server as backup but the asp.net fileupload control does not seem to support this type of file. Any solutions / alternatives to get a *.mdb file onto the server in an .aspx form Thanks It's probably because the database is open and the file is in use.  Steve Wellens My blog Hi mahangare, The reason may be the following: (1)Maybe the .mdb file is in using by another application, so you can't upload it. (2)ASP.NET has a limitation of the uploaded file size. The default maximum file size is 4 MB.The .mdb fil...

I need help for convert .doc file into .pdf file in asp.net
Hi,Am implementing asp.net in my project . and am new to asp.net.In my project i convert one file(.doc) to another file (.pdf) formati don't know how to convert this can you please give a code for this implementationthis is very helpful for my projectThanks in Advance With RegardsS.Senthil Nathan  i know there are a lot of 3rd party object to use, but you need to pay it such as http://www.dbautotrack.com/pdf.html  so far, i dont know there is free source for you to use.  James Wu (MIB426).NET is only way to goMCP, MCSE, MCDBA, MCSD, MCAD...

File is not accessible after File.Create()
When I use File.Create(filename) method, file is created but it is inaccessible until application closes. That means I cannot add any text lines to this file which is my intention. Is there some method to end File.Create like StreamReader.Close() or something ? Did you use file.open method to write to that file. Make sure to check the folder permissions. You should give ASPNET Machine Account write permissions to that folder. If you do not have one listed, Add user ASPNET and give him appropriate permissions. Hope this will help. This should work, although FileStream don't let you d...

Access files and text files.
Hi everyone, In an attempt to create a program that will convert a text file into an access file, I figure what I need to do is read 1 line at a time from the txt and do INSERT statements to put them into the access files. I can use CREATE TABLE to create new tables and separate the data. Now, my problem is that I want to chop one big textfile into a bunch of databases based on some criteria (station id for example). How do i create a new .mdb file, that i want to be a certain name (station3.mdb for example) through code? In other words, how do i create a blank mdb file on-the-fly, that i...

Web resources about - how to convert Access MDB file into an ASCII file ? - opensuse.org.help.applications

List of converts to Buddhism - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

$100 device converts all your film to digital photos
... still on film negatives. Today, we've got the perfect Amazon Cyber Week deal for you: A Wolverine F2D Mighty 20MP 7-in-1 Film to Digital Converter ...

"ISIS 'ranks' the women, considering foreign women and converts to be especially 'valuable.' "
"According to French journalist Anna Erelle’s recent exposé , ISIS foreign fighters prefer foreign women and converts because the jihadists find ...