How do I get Thunderbird to open links in Google Chrome?

I want to change my default browser to Google Chrome. The problem is I
use Thunderbird for my email client and it opens URLs in Firefox.

What steps can I take to integrate Google Chrome with Thunderbird? What
I have tried so far hasn't worked.

--
Linux 2.6.34.8-0.2-desktop x86_64. openSUSE 11.3(x86_64).
CPU AMD Phenom II X4 955. memory 4GB.

FlameBait

'Default browser - MozillaZine Knowledge Base'
(http://kb.mozillazine.org/Setting_Your_Default_Browser)

--
ken_yap
ken_yap's Profile: http://forums.opensuse.org/member.php?userid=221

0
ken
6/6/2011 10:06:03 PM
Posted with Google Chrome following the link from Thunderbird.

The relevant stuff:
Code:
--------------------
    Setting the browser that opens in Thunderbird - Linux

  If you are unable to launch Firefox (or another Mozilla browser) from URL links in a Thunderbird mail message, or if you want to change the browser that is launched, add the following lines to the user.js file, located in your Thunderbird profile folder (you may need to create the user.js file). Change the path of the Firefox executable, if yours is not /usr/bin/firefox. [9] [10]

  user_pref("network.protocol-handler.app.http", "/usr/bin/firefox");
  user_pref("network.protocol-handler.app.https", "/usr/bin/firefox");
  user_pref("network.protocol-handler.app.ftp", "/usr/bin/firefox");

  Note: You can also use about:config to set these preferences. See Register protocol and network.protocol-handler.app.(protocol) for more information.

  If you are still unable to change the browser after modifying these settings, editing the mimeTypes.rdf file, also located in your Profile folder, can fix the problem. Simply use a text editor to search for all references to the browser that links are currently opening in and replace them with references to the browser that you would like links to open in.

  If there are no references to browsers to be replaced in the mimeTypes.rdf file, then adding some new sections to this file can fix the problem. Rather than directly editing the file, you can get Thunderbird to automatically add the required sections as follows:

  * Navigate to "Edit --> Preferences --> Advanced" in the Thunderbird menus and click on the "Config Editor" button.
  * Search for the following three entries:
  o network.protocol-handler.warn-external.http
  o network.protocol-handler.warn-external.https
  o network.protocol-handler.warn-external.ftp
  * Set the value of each of these three entries to true (you can do this by double-clicking on each entry, then close the "about:config" window and click "OK" on the "Thunderbird Preferences" window).

  Having completed these steps, the next time you click on an http, https or ftp link in Thunderbird, you will be presented with the "Launch Application" window. Press the "Choose" button on this window to select your browser of choice. This will add the required entry to the mimeTypes.rdf file. This is a one-time task; having selected the browser once, links of the same type will now always be opened with the selected browser.
--------------------

Thanks for the URL.

--
FlameBait's Profile: http://forums.opensuse.org/member.php?userid=21323
View this thread: http://forums.opensuse.org/showthread.php?t=461076

0
FlameBait

how to get Thunderbird to open http links w/Firefox.
hi Group, On my system, the default "opener" for web pages is Internet Explorer. I am happy with that. HOWEVER, for newsgroups, more specifically for webpage links included in newsgroup postings, I prefer to have them opened with Firefox. Is it possible to get Thunderbird to open links with Firefox, but still leave the normal system default opener as Internet Explorer??? cheers, jw mr_unreliable wrote: > hi Group, > > On my system, the default "opener" for web pages is Internet Explorer. > I am happy with that. > > HOWEVER, for new...

Google Chrome : when opening a link in a new tab, that tab should come to the front
Name: Eric Herbaut Email: herbautatxandmaildotcom Product: Other (please state) Summary: Google Chrome : when opening a link in a new tab, that tab should come to the front Comments: Google Chrome : when opening a link in a new tab, that tab should come to the front instead of staying in the background of the current tab Browser Details: Mozilla/5.0 (Windows; U; Windows NT 5.1; en-US) AppleWebKit/525.13 (KHTML, like Gecko) Chrome/0.2.149.27 Safari/525.13 From URL: http://hendrix.mozilla.org/ ...

how can i run asp.net project in google chrome? OR how can in run iis 6.0 deployed web application in google chrome?
Hi, i need to run iis 6.0 deployed website in google chrome and i need to run my vs2005 web project in google chrome how can i? please helpThanks & Best Regards,-------------------------Muhammad Kashan KhanSr. Software Engineer &Freelance Software DeveloperEmail: itskashanhere@hotmail.com"OH MY ALLAH!, Grant me the serenity to accept the things I cannot change, Courage to change the things I can, and Wisdom to know the difference!" Hi, and welcome to the ASP.NET forums. You don't run a webform in a browser, of which Chrome is one, but rather render the output tha...

FF 2 Beta won't link to urls in email or open searches in Google Desktop
I've just upgraded to the FF 2 beta and encountered a couple problems, one of which has a documented fix that doesn't work and the other for which I can find no mention or remedy. I was wondering if anyone out there knows how to repair the problems. Problem 1 When I click a URL shown in an Outlook Express email message, nothing happens. I did find a manual fix outlined here http://www.mozilla.org/support/firefox/faq.html#email but it hasn't worked for me. Despite having stepped through it, it won't work. Problem 2 I have Google Desktop installed and when I had...

Link to Thunderbird Help in "Need more help?"
I think it would be a good idea to add a "Thunderbird Help" link to <http://www.mozilla.org/support/thunderbird/> in the ' Need More Help?' box. Thoughts? Chris Ilias wrote: > I think it would be a good idea to add a "Thunderbird Help" link to > <http://www.mozilla.org/support/thunderbird/> in the ' Need More Help?' > box. Thoughts? We definitely need to make it clearer that this is a Firefox support site. Someone mentioned the fact that the url (support.mozilla.com) doesn't even include the word Firefox in it. So y...

ctrl-click on link in Thunderbird opens link in new tab in Firefox?
Name: Bart Barenbrug Email: Bart.Barenbrug_at_iae.nl Product: Thunderbird Summary: ctrl-click on link in Thunderbird opens link in new tab in Firefox? Comments: Having just migrated from the mozilla suite to the firefox/thunderbird combo, I kinda miss the feature that you could ctrl-click on a link in an email and have it open in a new tab in the browser. I haven't found an extention or option for this either. So this is basically a feature request. Browser Details: Mozilla/5.0 (Windows; U; Windows NT 5.1; en-US; rv:1.8.0.1) Gecko/20060111 Firefox/1.5.0.1 Bart Barenbr...

Opening links from Thunderbird
Hi All, Has anyone come up with a way to open links in an OS/2 browser from Thunderbird? I know MozEx exists to allow Thunderbird to be used to open mailto:// links from Firebird - but what about the other way around? -- Thanks in advance, Paul. ...

opening link in Thunderbird
I used to be able to clink on a link in thunderbird and it would open in my default browser. firefox. Now I have to copy and paste it. What may have changed? On Jun 11, 8:03=A0am, shel <sspec...@socal.rr.com> wrote: > I used to be able to clink on a link in thunderbird and it would open > in my default browser. firefox. Now I have to copy and paste it. What > may have changed? If resetting the default browser and then setting it to your current one doesn't work, then you'll have to install a launcher extension like BrowsrBounce to be able to load links. On ...

Video controls get stuck, the google search bar opens and remains opened
Name: Swara Product: Firefox Summary: Video controls get stuck, the google search bar opens and remains opened Comments: There are 2 things that have been happening since I installed the newest version of Firefox (version 3.5.2) on my Mac. 1. This happened 3-4 times. When I tried to run a video on youtube, its controls did not work. The first time I thought it was a problem with youtube. The next time when this happened again, I tried running videos from other sites (divx videos and wma videos). The controls on these didn't work either. 2. The google search bar just ...

Thunderbird not opening links
This is a multi-part message in MIME format. --------------010708020605070302090301 Content-Type: text/plain; charset=us-ascii; format=flowed Content-Transfer-Encoding: 7bit I am presently running T-Bird 0.3 & F-Bird 0.7 with Win'98 on my old laptop. I recently ran Norton's System Works '01, did a complete system sweep. Unfortunately it swept away the ability to open links in my email, T-Bird is my default setting for mail/news and F-Bird is my default browser. Both Birds worked fine together till the sweep. I can open links in Firebird on a web page; I just can...

click on link, it should open new browser and not open that web page inside the application
Hi,       I am using vb.net 2.0.  I am having issue in my application that if  click on  a link from the links page inside the application, it should open new browser (for IE 6 should be a new browser, for IE 7 should be a new tab) and not open that web page inside the application. Can anyone please give me reply. Its urgent in my application   Thanks In Advance Set the target attribute of the <a> (anchors) to '_blank'  <a href="http://www.josephguadagno.net" target="_blank">http://www.j...

Opening links from other applications
In=20Firefox=20>=20Tools=20>=20Options=20>=20Tabs=20there=20is=20a=20setting=20"Open=20links=20 from=20other=20applications=20in:"=20...=20"a=20new=20tab=20in=20the=20most=20recent=20 window".=20I=20can't=20get=20this=20to=20work=20in=20the=20new=20FF=201.5=20beta=20-=20in=20fact,=20 I've=20never=20got=20it=20to=20work=20in=20any=20of=20the=20official=20releases=20of=20Firefox.=20 However,=20it=20/does/=20work=20in=20the=20unofficial=20static=20builds=20that=20were=20 produced=20a=20while=20ago,=20and=20also=20in=20Rich=20Walsh's=20"Deer=20Par...

help help help with getting started
I have a simple page with this code: <%@ Page Language="vb" Debug="true" %> <%@ import Namespace="System.Data" %> <%@ import Namespace="System.Data.SQLClient" %> <script runat="server"> sub Page_load(Sender As Object, E As EventArgs) if not ispostback then 'create connection Dim Conn As SqlConnection = New SqlConnection 'create data adapter Dim dataAdapter As SqlDataAdapter = New SqlDataAdapter 'create dataset Dim dataview...

Thunderbird not opening links
Hey folks, I'm not sure exactly where to send this message, as I'm at a loss as to what's going on. I'll throw a line out anyway. We're running LTSP 4.2 on RedHat Enterprise Linux 5.1 (IceWM/GNOME), and we're using Firefox 3.0.1 and Thunderbird 2.0.0.16. We seem to be completely unable to open links from Thunderbird into Firefox (or any browser). Our user preferences look like: user_pref("network.protocol-handler.app.ftp", "/usr/lib/||firefox-3.0.1||/openlink.sh"); user_pref("network.protocol-handler.app.http", "...

Web resources about - How do I get Thunderbird to open links in Google Chrome? - opensuse.org.help.applications

Mozilla Thunderbird
Mozilla Thunderbird is created by a global non-profit dedicated to putting individuals in control and shaping the future of the web for the public ...

Thunderbirds Are Go - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia
Thunderbirds Are Go is a 1966 British science-fiction film based on Thunderbirds , a 1960s television series starring marionette puppets and ...

Edit - Thunderbird - CrunchBase Product Profile
TechCrunch CrunchBase More TechCrunch Europe TechCrunch France TechCrunch Japan Register - Login or Advanced Search Home > Products > Thunderbird ...

F-16C Thunderbirds Formation - Flickr - Photo Sharing!
USAF Thunderbirds at the 2008 Battle Creek Air Show

Thunderbirds Are Go - Introducing The World - YouTube
The world of Thunderbirds Are Go, Tracy Island, miniature sets and craft have been lovingly made by none other than WETA Workshop - the model ...

Thunderbirds are go: First pictures of TV remake
The first images of the upcoming TV reboot of the iconic series Thunderbirds have been released, recasting the iconic puppets from the 1960s ...

Thunderbirds creator Gerry Anderson dies aged 83
... puppet TV shows Captain Scarlet, Stingray and Joe 90 died in his sleep, his son announces. Gerry Anderson, best known as the creator of Thunderbirds ...

Firebirds hold nerve to hold out Thunderbirds
It was another close shave but Queensland Firebirds coach Roselee Jencke was happy for her side to take a second straight win.

Thunderbirds are go, puppets are gone
Human Thunderbirds? What does this mean, writes James Cockington. - The Age Online

Southerners steal last-gasp draw against Thunderbirds
Southern Steel stole a 53-53 draw in the chaotic final seconds of their trans-Tasman netball league clash against Adelaide Thunderbirds.