Getting XRDP working?

Having the devil of a job getting XRDP working! Can anyone offer any
advice?
It is a clean install of 11.1 and I then added the XRDP components
using the YaST software manager. After some (quite a lot actually)
debugging, I have this information. Is it enough?

At the remote client I see this:
[image: http://www.mpr75.talktalk.net/rdpClient.png]

While if I am watching at the XRDP server, I see this if I run
"xrdp-sesman -n" (nodaemon):

Code:
--------------------
    supermicro:~ # xrdp-sesman -n
  starting sesman in foregroud...
  sesman config:
  ListenAddress:            127.0.0.1
  ListenPort:               3350
  EnableUserWindowManager:  1
  UserWindowManager:        startwm.sh
  DefaultWindowManager:     startwm.sh
  AuthFilePath:             disabled
  Xvnc parameters:
  Parameter 00                   -bs
  X11rdp parameters:
  Parameter 00                   -bs
  Xdmx parameters:
  Parameter 00                   -noreset
  Parameter 01                   -br
  Parameter 02                   -nolisten
  Parameter 03                   tcp
  Parameter 04                   --
  Parameter 05                   /usr/bin/Xfake
  logging configuration:
  LogFile:       /var/log/xrdp-sesman.log
  LogLevel:      4
  EnableSyslog:  1
  SyslogLevel:   3
  security configuration:
  AllowRootLogin:       1
  MaxLoginRetry:        4
  TSUsersGroup:         1000
  TSAdminsGroup:        1001
  session configuration:
  MaxSessions:                 10
  KillDisconnected:            0
  IdleTimeLimit:               0
  DisconnectedTimeLimit:       0
  [20090930-18:51:11] [WARN ] [init:45] libscp initialized
  [20090930-18:51:11] [CORE ] starting sesman with pid 6296
  [20090930-18:51:11] [INFO ] listening...
  [20090930-18:51:42] [INFO ] granted TS access to user mprowe
  [20090930-18:51:42] [INFO ] starting Xvnc session...
  pam_open_session failed: Cannot make/remove an entry for the specified session
  _XSERVTransSocketOpenCOTSServer: Unable to open socket for inet6
  _XSERVTransOpen: transport open failed for inet6/supermicro:10
  _XSERVTransMakeAllCOTSServerListeners: failed to open listener for inet6
  _XSERVTransSocketINETCreateListener: ...SocketCreateListener() failed
  _XSERVTransMakeAllCOTSServerListeners: server already running

  Fatal server error:
  Cannot establish any listening sockets - Make sure an X server isn't already running
  [20090930-18:51:42] [CORE ] error X server died - user mprowe - pid 6303

--------------------

I guess there is a problem around the "Starting Xvnc..." area?

Once again any advice would be most appreciated. What a pity such a
useful tool is spoilt by a lack of documentation?

Regards, Martin

--
martinprowe

martinprowe

On 09/30/2009 08:26 PM, martinprowe wrote:

> Having the devil of a job getting XRDP working! Can anyone offer any
> advice?
> It is a clean install of 11.1 and I then added the XRDP components
> using the YaST software manager. After some (quite a lot actually)
> debugging, I have this information. Is it enough?

<snip>

> I guess there is a problem around the "Starting Xvnc..." area?
>
> Once again any advice would be most appreciated. What a pity such a
> useful tool is spoilt by a lack of documentation?
>
> Regards, Martin

This procedure worked for me:
http://opensuse.swerdna.org/suserdp.html

--
Christian
0
Christian Riechers;2046122 Wrote:

> This procedure worked for me:
> 'Windows Linux RDP Remote Desktop Connections using openSUSE as Client
> or Server (terminal server)' (http://opensuse.swerdna.org/suserdp.html)

Hi Christian,

Thanks for the link. Not seen the Ausie connections before. Very
attractive.
However, the only new information I can glean from that author is
regarding installing from the two Repos. Anyway, I have done as he/she
suggested ... But, you guessed it! It only seems to have made a marginal
difference?

The difference I can detect is in the user credential screen - you can
now change the session type field without clearing username/passwd.
Neat. But what has not changed is the underlying
authentication/connection issue?

Now the remote log records an extra (to that shown in the earlier
posting) connection to itself on port 5910. My suspicion is that this is
just an improvement in the status display and only indicates that the
xrdp wrapper is linking to the vnc service?
[image: http://www.mpr75.talktalk.net/rdpClient1.png]

but the server logs still shows:
[...]

If anyone can point me at where to look to fix this problem, I'd be
most grateful. I am really pleased th hear from anyone, but reports that
their "light bulb is working" is not all that helpful!

As a throwaway comment - does anyone think that having an LDAP service
(although the xrdp test users are local) on this host is likly to be
significant?

Best regards,
Martin

--
martinprowe
martinprowe's Profile: http://forums.opensuse.org/member.php?userid=24439

0
martinprowe
10/1/2009 9:46:01 AM
On 10/01/2009 11:46 AM, martinprowe wrote:

> Christian Riechers;2046122 Wrote:
>>
>> This procedure worked for me:
>> 'Windows Linux RDP Remote Desktop Connections using openSUSE as Client
>> or Server (terminal server)' (http://opensuse.swerdna.org/suserdp.html)
>

> However, the only new information I can glean from that author is
> regarding installing from the two Repos. Anyway, I have done as he/she
> suggested ... But, you guessed it! It only seems to have made a marginal
> difference?
>
> The difference I can detect is in the user credential screen - you can
> now change the session type field without clearing username/passwd.
> Neat. But what has not changed is the underlying
> authentication/connection issue?
>
> Now the remote log records an extra (to that shown in the earlier
> posting) connection to itself on port 5910. My suspicion is that this is
> just an improvement in the status display and only indicates that the
> xrdp wrapper is linking to the vnc service?
> [image: http://www.mpr75.talktalk.net/rdpClient1.png]
>
> but the server logs still shows:
> "starting Xvnc session... pam_open_session failed: Cannot make/remove
> an entry for the specified session"

I'm not exactly sure what you're trying to achieve with running
'xrdp-sesman'. Have you tested to connect to the server using
'rdesktop'? E.g. like:
> rdesktop localhost -z

I'm also confused about seeing 'Xvnc session' in your logs. VNC and RDP
should be two different things, even though they do provide similar
functionality.

--
Christian
0
Christian Riechers;2046466 Wrote:
> I'm not exactly sure what you're trying to achieve with running
> 'xrdp-sesman'.
The important bit is the "-n" switch (no daemon). And the reason for
this is to try and get as much information as possible.
With xrdp-sesman run in the background, the only information I get is
piped to /var/log/xrdp-sesman.log and this is limmited.

> Have you tested to connect to the server using rdesktop'? E.g. like:>
> rdesktop localhost -z
Yes. This is the screenshot:

[image: http://www.mpr75.talktalk.net/rdesktop.png]

> I'm also confused about seeing 'Xvnc session' in your logs.That makes two of us!

> VNC and RDP should be two different things, even though they do provide
> similar functionality.
Ahhh... maybe I can add some light here? RDP has a quite distinct
definition: It is a proprietary Microsoft Protocol (based on ITU-t T128)
for the display of remote desktops (hence the name). On the other hand
VNC is a generic term for Virtual Network Computing and is implemented
in various flavours: TightVNC, Xvnc etc.
In this situation, the XRDP designers seem to be following the Open
Source philosophy of using what is already there and not reinventing the
wheel. So (and I am not party to any inside information), the RDP client
talks to an XRDP wrapper on the server. The XRDP then translated the RDP
traffic to VNC (a RBF) protocol and forwards it on to the local VNC
server. And in this case the VNC server is called Xvnc and therefore
reason why we are seeing messages from it in the logs.

Anyway. none of this gets me any further towards a working XRDP server.
As additional information, I have tried several new installs of SuSE
11.1+XRDP with exactly the same (depressing) results.

Regards, Martin.

--
martinprowe
martinprowe's Profile: http://forums.opensuse.org/member.php?userid=24439
View this thread: http://forums.opensuse.org/showthread.php?t=422732

0
martinprowe
10/2/2009 10:16:02 AM
On 10/02/2009 12:16 PM, martinprowe wrote:

> Christian Riechers;2046466 Wrote:
>
>> I'm also confused about seeing 'Xvnc session' in your logs.
> That makes two of us!

Looking at my xrdp-sesman.log, this is a successful session:
[20091002-17:31:14] [WARN ] [init:45] libscp initialized
[20091002-17:31:16] [CORE ] starting sesman with pid 2842
[20091002-17:31:16] [INFO ] listening...
[20091002-18:18:02] [INFO ] granted TS access to user christ1
[20091002-18:18:02] [INFO ] starting Xdmx session...
[20091002-18:18:02] [CORE ] X server running - user christ1 - pid 5792
[20091002-18:18:02] [INFO ] starting xrdp-sessvc - xpid=5792 - wmpid=5797

Note, there isn't any Xvnc in the logs. I understand you do start
'xrdp-sesman' with the no daemon option, in order to get a more detailed
log.
But how (i.e. which client) do you connect to the RDP server?

>> VNC and RDP should be two different things, even though they do provide
>> similar functionality.
> Ahhh... maybe I can add some light here? RDP has a quite distinct
> definition: It is a proprietary Microsoft Protocol (based on ITU-t T128)
> for the display of remote desktops (hence the name). On the other hand
> VNC is a generic term for Virtual Network Computing and is implemented
> in various flavours: TightVNC, Xvnc etc.
> In this situation, the XRDP designers seem to be following the Open
> Source philosophy of using what is already there and not reinventing the
> wheel. So (and I am not party to any inside information), the RDP client
> talks to an XRDP wrapper on the server. The XRDP then translated the RDP
> traffic to VNC (a RBF) protocol and forwards it on to the local VNC
> server. And in this case the VNC server is called Xvnc and therefore
> reason why we are seeing messages from it in the logs.

I don't know about the bits and pieces of RDP and VNC. But what I can
tell is that you do not need a VNC server running for RDP. I do not have
VNC installed on my machine, and RDP works beautifully from both, a
Windows (Vista) client, and the local Linux machine towards the Linux
server.

Having said that, there is a VNC module available for xrdp called
libvnc. But I think that's a different story.

--
Christian
0

Thanks for staying with this problem. It is much appriciated.

> Note, there isn't any Xvnc in the logs.
Ah??? That interesting...

So, I have been back through the YaST software manager and removed the
Xvnc module! It did this without complaint.
So, feeling encouraged, I gave it a try. Darn it ... Different but not
working.

My logs (xrdp-sesman -n) now shows this, when I try to log in with a
known user and valid password:

Code:
--------------------

  supermicro:~ # xrdp-sesman -n
  starting sesman in foregroud...
  sesman config:
  ListenAddress:            127.0.0.1
  ListenPort:               3350
  EnableUserWindowManager:  1
  UserWindowManager:        startwm.sh
  DefaultWindowManager:     startwm.sh
  AuthFilePath:             disabled
  }
  }...Abridged
  }
  session configuration:
  MaxSessions:                 10
  KillDisconnected:            0
  IdleTimeLimit:               0
  DisconnectedTimeLimit:       0
  [20091003-19:18:39] [WARN ] [init:45] libscp initialized
  [20091003-19:18:39] [CORE ] starting sesman with pid 5028
  [20091003-19:18:39] [INFO ] listening...
  [20091003-19:20:06] [INFO ] granted TS access to user root
  [20091003-19:20:06] [INFO ] starting Xdmx session...
  pam_open_session failed: Cannot make/remove an entry for the specified session
  Unrecognized option: --
  use: X [:<display>] [option]
  }
  }...Abridged text from - "I don't know?"
  }
  Fatal server error:
  Unrecognized option: --

  [20091003-19:20:06] [CORE ] error X server died - user root - pid 5037

--------------------

Any ideas on which PAM module I need to try removing next?

Looking forward to hearing any thoughts you may have ...

Regards, Martin

--
martinprowe
martinprowe's Profile: http://forums.opensuse.org/member.php?userid=24439
View this thread: http://forums.opensuse.org/showthread.php?t=422732

0
martinprowe
10/3/2009 6:56:02 PM
On 10/03/2009 08:56 PM, martinprowe wrote:

>   [20091003-19:20:06] [CORE ] error X server died - user root - pid 5037
>
> Any ideas on which PAM module I need to try removing next?
>
> Looking forward to hearing any thoughts you may have ...

Remote root login is disabled per default in SuSE. Try with a different
user than root first.

--
Christian
0

Maybe check yours.

--
'Drop in and visit some time'
(http://opensuse.swerdna.org/index.html).
View this thread: http://forums.opensuse.org/showthread.php?t=422732

0
swerdna
10/3/2009 8:16:01 PM
Christian Riechers;2047045 Wrote:
> On 10/03/2009 08:56 PM,
>
> Remote root login is disabled per default in SuSE. Try with a different
> user than root first.

Hi Christian,
Hmmmm... I don't think that that is always the case? I have used xrdp
as root in the past.
But anyway, yes I have tried other users (both local and LDAP) which is
why I was sticking to root to avoid any permissions problems.

I have also tried to understand which groups do and do not have xrdp
(remote) access. So far without success. What is the consequence of the
two entries

Code:
--------------------
       TerminalServerUsers=tsusers
  TerminalServerAdmins=tsadminin
--------------------

in sesman.ini?

Regards,
Martin

--
martinprowe
martinprowe's Profile: http://forums.opensuse.org/member.php?userid=24439
View this thread: http://forums.opensuse.org/showthread.php?t=422732

0
martinprowe
10/5/2009 7:56:02 AM
swerdna;2047042 Wrote:

> here's a thought: I have on my install the file /etc/pam.d/xrdp-sesman.

Thank you for the suggestion, swerdna.

Yes, I do have this file and it is as you quoted.

Oh dear . . .
I guess, I'm going have to stick with Windows 2003 for a while longer?
I'll try again in a year or so, and see what I find then?

Regards, Martin

--

martinprowe;2047436 Wrote:
> Thank you for the suggestion, swerdna.
>
> Yes, I do have this file and it is as you quoted.
>
> Oh dear . . .
> I guess, I'm going have to stick with Windows 2003 for a while longer?
> I'll try again in a year or so, and see what I find then?
>
> Regards, MartinCan you run this command and post back here the results:
Code:
--------------------
    rpm -qa | egrep "xrdp|rdesktop|xorg-x11-server"
--------------------

And which desktops are installed in your installation (Gnome? KDE?
Both? some others?)

--
'Drop in and visit some time'
(http://opensuse.swerdna.org/index.html).
swerdna's Profile: http://forums.opensuse.org/member.php?userid=84
View this thread: http://forums.opensuse.org/showthread.php?t=422732

0
swerdna
10/5/2009 8:56:01 AM
swerdna;2047442 Wrote:
> Can you run this command and post back here the results:>
Code:
--------------------
  >   > rpm -qa | egrep "xrdp|rdesktop|xorg-x11-server"
--------------------

> And which desktops are installed in your installation (Gnome? KDE?
> Both? some others?)

Hi swerdna,
Yes, Of course. Glad to be doing anything that may resolve this...

Code:
--------------------
    supermicro:/home/mprowe # rpm -qa | egrep "xrdp|rdesktop|xorg-x11-server"
  rdesktop-1.6.0-46.1
  xorg-x11-server-7.4-17.6.1
  xorg-x11-server-extra-7.4-17.6.1
  xorg-x11-server-rdp-7.3.99-9.1
  xorg-x11-server-dmx-7.3.99-42.1
  xrdp-0.4.1-16.7.1
  supermicro:/home/mprowe #

--------------------

I hope this provides some clues? Opps... As far as I know, only the KDE
desktop is installed.

Best regards, Martin

--
martinprowe
martinprowe's Profile: http://forums.opensuse.org/member.php?userid=24439
View this thread: http://forums.opensuse.org/showthread.php?t=422732

0
martinprowe
10/5/2009 10:16:01 AM
These of yours are advanced versions:
xorg-x11-server-rdp-7.3.99-9.1
xorg-x11-server-dmx-7.3.99-42.1

I have these versions:
xorg-x11-server-rdp-7.3.99-7.1
xorg-x11-server-dmx-7.3.99-24.1

Where did you get yours? And which version of openSUSE are you running,
11.1?

--
'Drop in and visit some time'
(http://opensuse.swerdna.org/index.html).
swerdna's Profile: http://forums.opensuse.org/member.php?userid=84
View this thread: http://forums.opensuse.org/showthread.php?t=422732

0
swerdna
10/5/2009 10:36:01 AM
swerdna;2047461 Wrote:
> These of yours are advanced versions:
> xorg-x11-server-rdp-7.3.99-9.1
> xorg-x11-server-dmx-7.3.99-42.1
>
> I have these versions:
> xorg-x11-server-rdp-7.3.99-7.1
> xorg-x11-server-dmx-7.3.99-24.1
>
> Where did you get yours? And which version of openSUSE are you running,
> 11.1?

From the link half-way down the Nomad page:
'Index of /repositories/home:/dreveman:/nomad/openSUSE_11.1'
(http://tinyurl.com/d6xk6l) - I think!!

I only have a telnet connection to the delinquent box for the next 8
hours. If it is important that I confirm the source, is there a cmd line
that will give me that info?

I am running 11.1.

Lastly (in this over) is the difference between the two sets of numbers
(7.3.99-9.1 & 7.3.99-7.1) that significant?
In a long struggle getting hostapd (wireless access point) working, I
though I was told by Akoellh that the digits to the left of the "-" is
the code version and that to the right is the package version. Please
correct me if I've got it all mixed up.

Regards, Martin

--
martinprowe
martinprowe's Profile: http://forums.opensuse.org/member.php?userid=24439
View this thread: http://forums.opensuse.org/showthread.php?t=422732

0
martinprowe
10/5/2009 11:16:03 AM
martinprowe;2047473 Wrote:
> From the link half-way down the Nomad page:
> 'Index of /repositories/home:/dreveman:/nomad/openSUSE_11.1'
> (http://tinyurl.com/d6xk6l) - I think!!
>
> I only have a telnet connection to the delinquent box for the next 8
> hours. If it is important that I confirm the source, is there a cmd line
> that will give me that info?
>
> I am running 11.1.
>
> Lastly (in this over) is the difference between the two sets of numbers
> (7.3.99-9.1 & 7.3.99-7.1) that significant?
> In a long struggle getting hostapd (wireless access point) working, I
> though I was told by Akoellh that the digits to the left of the "-" is
> the code version and that to the right is the package version. Please
> correct me if I've got it all mixed up.
>
> Regards, Martin
Your RPMs are not in that Repository but mine are -- I just did a
thorough search of it. You've got the wrong RPMs. The difference between
the 9.1 and 7.1 might be significant -- you'll only know by trying it
again with the RPMs that are known to work. You should attach the
dreveman repo in Yast --> Software --> Software Repositories. Then
uninstall the RPMs that you have previously installed and reinstall them
according to the split up I laid out in my tutorial. I tested that list
to-day and it is still current.

Whether that will solve your problem or not -- I can't say. But it's
quite suspicious that you are using newer RPMs than the RPMs in the
dreveman repo for openSUSE 11.1. Maybe they came from the milestone 11.2
repo (to be so new)? But hey, try it and see -- they work for me.

--
'Drop in and visit some time'
(http://opensuse.swerdna.org/index.html).
swerdna's Profile: http://forums.opensuse.org/member.php?userid=84
View this thread: http://forums.opensuse.org/showthread.php?t=422732

0
swerdna
10/5/2009 12:46:03 PM
On 10/05/2009 09:56 AM, martinprowe wrote:

> Christian Riechers;2047045 Wrote:
>> On 10/03/2009 08:56 PM,
>>
>> Remote root login is disabled per default in SuSE. Try with a different
>> user than root first.
>
> Hi Christian,
> Hmmmm... I don't think that that is always the case? I have used xrdp
> as root in the past.
> But anyway, yes I have tried other users (both local and LDAP) which is
> why I was sticking to root to avoid any permissions problems.

You're correct, RDP allows root login by default. I was referring to
telnet, which is usually not allowed for root.

> I have also tried to understand which groups do and do not have xrdp
> (remote) access. So far without success. What is the consequence of the
> two entries
>
> Code:
> --------------------
>        TerminalServerUsers=tsusers
>   TerminalServerAdmins=tsadminin
> --------------------
>
> in sesman.ini?

There's a manpage for sesman.ini. Have a look there. This is just taken
from the man page:

TerminalServerUsers=tsusers
              Only the users belonging to the group tsusers are allowed
	      to login on terminal server.
              If unset or set to an invalid or non-existent group,
	      login for all  users  is enabled.

On my system the group tsusers doesn't exist, so anyone with a valid
local account can login via RDP.

I can't suggest much more than what swerdna did earlier, i.e.
re-installing the RPM's. Also make sure to remove or rename any
customized config files before installing the RPM's again. Then follow
the steps from the tutorial. It worked for me too, without the need for
any more configuration tweaks.
I can post my config files, if you think this is useful.

--
Christian
0

Often "no news is good news". Not in this case.
As suggested, I have tried uninstall/reinstalls - with no luck. I then
tried complete rebuilds on several hardware platforms. Also to no
avail!
What is worse, is that there does not seem to be any repeatability in
any of the failure patterns!!

So, after several months work, I'm giving up. It is just toooo
difficult for me to make any progress. I'll leave this field to you
experts.

Thanks for all your help. Maybe, I'll see you on the other side of
11.2?

Regards,
Martin

--
martinprowe
martinprowe's Profile: http://forums.opensuse.org/member.php?userid=24439
View this thread: http://forums.opensuse.org/showthread.php?t=422732

0
martinprowe
10/7/2009 7:26:01 AM
Just a very quick last question (if you are still monitoring this): can
you confirm that you opened the firewall for xrdp or that you have the
network connection on the internal zone? I only ask since I had no
trouble with xrdp apart from trying to establish a Failsafe Terminal
connection from the session type list. However KDE4 sessions worked
fine.

--
plodder
plodder's Profile: http://forums.opensuse.org/member.php?userid=10637
View this thread: http://forums.opensuse.org/showthread.php?t=422732

0
plodder
10/9/2009 5:56:01 AM
martinprowe;2048183 Wrote:
> Hi Christian and swerdna,
>
> Often "no news is good news". Not in this case.
> As suggested, I have tried uninstall/reinstalls - with no luck. I then
> tried complete rebuilds on several hardware platforms. Also to no
> avail!
> What is worse, is that there does not seem to be any repeatability in
> any of the failure patterns!!
>
> So, after several months work, I'm giving up. It is just toooo
> difficult for me to make any progress. I'll leave this field to you
> experts.
>
> Thanks for all your help. Maybe, I'll see you on the other side of
> 11.2?
>
> Regards,
> Martin
It's a pity that it won't work for you. Since you started this thread
I've rechecked twice to see if the method still works, with fresh
installs of KDE and Gnome on a spare partition. Worked both times for
me.

But it does stop working if I add both Desktop Environments (KDE and
Gnome) concurrently and try to switch from one to the other.

Xrdp in openSUSE as crafted for the "Nomad" project has some wrinkles
to be got out yet, so maybe versions 11.2 or 11.3 will see it performing
properly.

--
'Drop in and visit some time'
(http://opensuse.swerdna.org/index.html).
swerdna's Profile: http://forums.opensuse.org/member.php?userid=84
View this thread: http://forums.opensuse.org/showthread.php?t=422732

0
swerdna
10/9/2009 6:36:02 AM
plodder;2048758 Wrote:
> Just a very quick last question: can you confirm that you opened the
> firewall?

Thanks for the suggestion Plodder,

Yes, I am sure the Firewall is open. In fact, in situations like this,
the Firewall is the first thing to get turned off. The testbench is in a
"sheltered environment".

Regards, Martin

--
martinprowe
martinprowe's Profile: http://forums.opensuse.org/member.php?userid=24439
View this thread: http://forums.opensuse.org/showthread.php?t=422732

0
martinprowe
10/9/2009 7:16:01 AM
swerdna;2048762 Wrote:
> Since you started this thread I've rechecked twice to see if the method
> still works, with fresh installs of KDE and Gnome on a spare partition.
> Worked both times for me.

Hi Swerdna,

Despite the tetchy tone to an earlier posting, I haven't given up yet!
I to have done several more "clean" installs: including SLES 11,
openSUSE 11.1-M8 & 11.2.

My interim conclusion is, if I include LDAP (on any of the platforms
I've tested), it won't work.
Now, whether this information is of any use to anyone, I don't know.

But unfortunately, it is important to me that both XRDP and LDAP should
work on the same host.

> But it does stop working if I add both Desktop Environments (KDE and
> Gnome) concurrently and try to switch from one to the other.
I only have KDE installed.

> Xrdp in openSUSE as crafted for the "Nomad" project has some wrinkles to
> be got out yet.
Interesting... "as crafted for"? Does that mean that there are other
implementations of this (MS RDP client to SuSE host) technology. Forgive
the naive question - I'm new to this field ;-)

Regards, Martin

--
martinprowe
martinprowe's Profile: http://forums.opensuse.org/member.php?userid=24439
View this thread: http://forums.opensuse.org/showthread.php?t=422732

0
martinprowe
10/9/2009 7:36:01 AM
this sounds almost like the same problem that I had when 11.1 first came
out.  since nothing else has worked check this solution out, it might
help

--
tom_enos
tom_enos's Profile: http://forums.opensuse.org/member.php?userid=17191
View this thread: http://forums.opensuse.org/showthread.php?t=422732

0
tom
10/9/2009 7:36:01 AM
Check gnome-rdp and krdc (rpd clients). Presumably these run with xrdp
from the standard repo rather than the Nomad repo. I haven't tried those
combinations of client and server.

--
'Drop in and visit some time'
(http://opensuse.swerdna.org/index.html).
swerdna's Profile: http://forums.opensuse.org/member.php?userid=84
View this thread: http://forums.opensuse.org/showthread.php?t=422732

0
swerdna
10/9/2009 8:36:01 AM
swerdna;2048786 Wrote:
> Check gnome-rdp and krdc (rpd clients). Presumably these run with xrdp
> from the standard repo rather than the Nomad repo. I haven't tried those
> combinations of client and server.

Sorry, couldn't have defined the question properly?
In my situation, the client has to be the MSTSC (Microsoft Terminal
Server Client) as used on our Wise ThinTerms and XP workstations.

Martin

--
martinprowe
martinprowe's Profile: http://forums.opensuse.org/member.php?userid=24439
View this thread: http://forums.opensuse.org/showthread.php?t=422732

0
martinprowe
10/9/2009 8:46:01 AM
tom_enos;2048775 Wrote:
> this sounds almost like the same problem that I had when 11.1 first came
> out.  since nothing else has worked check this solution out, it might
> help

Thank you for the advice Tom?

The second suggestion seems(?)something along the lines of the advice
in 'Nomad - openSUSE' (http://en.opensuse.org/Nomad) - in that an extra
file is needed in the /etc/pam.d folder? As a newbee, I wonder...
"why"?

In -snaiperis- suggestion the additional file is called sesman and the
Nomad folk call it gdm? If the name is important, both fixes couldn't
work. If the name is not important, why won't xrd-sesman do the job? Or
does it?

Because, being a mere automaton, I did as Nomad suggest (copy
xrdp-sesman to gdm, as part of the initial install) and it worked (with
caveats).
If I now rename gdm, it still works? So what are these pam.d files
doing? In fact, if you take it to the next stage and rename xrd-sesman,
the logon fails! Therefore (in my situation?), both fixes are not needed
but xrdp-sesman is?

Confused... Martin

--
martinprowe
martinprowe's Profile: http://forums.opensuse.org/member.php?userid=24439
View this thread: http://forums.opensuse.org/showthread.php?t=422732

0
martinprowe
10/10/2009 9:16:01 AM
I've been playing around with xrdp on 11.2RC1. I get the same
authentication problem martin reported in the beginning.

Is there some documentation around somewhere that describes how the
session authentication is meant to work??

Clearly I don't have the packages proven to work, since they aren't
available for 11.2 yet.

Curiously, the xorg-x11-server-extra-7.4.60.1.x86_64 says in Yast that
is contains Xdmx, but no Xdmx is listed in installed files.

I presume Xdmx is needed and am going to build from source....more
later.

--
HP ML110G5 E2160 2GB
openSUSE 11.1, 11.2RC1 x86_64
View this thread: http://forums.opensuse.org/showthread.php?t=422732

0
cheongi
11/2/2009 8:36:01 AM
Hi guys,
Has anyone got Nomad working on opensuse 11.2?  I installed yast-rdp
but it tries to install xrdp but cannot find it.  I search for xrdp for
11.2 and cannot find it either?
Thanks,
Nick

--
opensuse 11.2 x86-64 kde 4.3
nsalem's Profile: http://forums.opensuse.org/member.php?userid=25907
View this thread: http://forums.opensuse.org/showthread.php?t=422732

0
nsalem
11/24/2009 5:46:01 AM
nsalem;2075061 Wrote:
> Hi guys,
> Has anyone got Nomad working on opensuse 11.2?  I installed yast-rdp
> but it tries to install xrdp but cannot find it.  I search for xrdp for
> 11.2 and cannot find it either?
> Thanks,
> Nick
RPMs haven't been produced for general consumption in 11.2 -- but I
notice the 'OBS search' (http://software.opensuse.org/search) contains
factory RPMs: xorg-X11-server-dmx and xorg-X11-server-rdp and xrdp. You
could try them out.

--
'Drop in and visit some time'
(http://opensuse.swerdna.org/index.html).
swerdna's Profile: http://forums.opensuse.org/member.php?userid=84
View this thread: http://forums.opensuse.org/showthread.php?t=422732

0
swerdna
11/24/2009 9:46:01 AM
Thanks swerdna.  I'll probably wait till they become available as part
of 11.2.  In 11.1, there was a lot of talk about nomad.  In 11.2, I
haven't heard anything.  Sometimes its hard to know what is going on,
what improvements are planned and so forth.

--
opensuse 11.2 x86-64 kde 4.3
nsalem's Profile: http://forums.opensuse.org/member.php?userid=25907
View this thread: http://forums.opensuse.org/showthread.php?t=422732

0
nsalem
11/24/2009 6:36:01 PM
I have installed xrdp and dependencies (rdesktop, xorg-x11-server-dmx
and xorg-x11-server-rdp) from Nomad repo in openSUSE 11.2(KDE)

I am able to do connect to openSUSE from a remote Windows
machine(mstsc) using a new session.

I want to connect to an *_existing_* session on openSUSE from windows.

For this i installed x11vnc.

A post in ubuntu forum mentions of modifying startwm.sh.
( 'XRDP working with GNOME - howto (HACK) - Ubuntu Forums'
(http://ubuntuforums.org/showthread.php?t=392184) )

Modified startwm.sh contains the following:

#!/bin/bash
x11vnc -display :0 -localhost &
sleep 5
vncviewer localhost:0 -fullscreen

I am still not able to connect to an existing session.

Anybody has got this working? Am i missing something?
Thanks in advance.

PS: My apologies if this post is redundant.

--
shri1234
shri1234's Profile: http://forums.opensuse.org/member.php?userid=38353
View this thread: http://forums.opensuse.org/showthread.php?t=422732

0
shri1234
12/15/2009 5:26:01 PM
Step 1:Install x11vnc
in a terminal as root enter

Code:
--------------------
    zypper in x11vnc
--------------------

Step 2:Set the vnc password
in a terminal enter

Code:
--------------------
    vncpasswd
--------------------

Step 3:Add a script to your kde autostart folder
in a terminal enter

Code:
--------------------
    echo "#! /bin/sh" >~/.kde4/Autostart/x11vnc
  echo "x11vnc -rfbauth ~/.vnc/passwd -bg -rfbport 5900 -forever -noxdamage &" >>~/.kde4/Autostart/x11vnc
  chmod +x ~/.kde4/Autostart/x11vnc
--------------------

> Note 1:Adjust path to match your KDE Autostart folder
> Note 2:-rfbport is used to set the TCP port x11vnc connects to your
> session through.
> Use any open port examples
> 5900 default vnc port
> 3389 RDP XRDP port
> 5631 pcAnywhere port
> Just make sure the port is open and for outside connections if behind a
> router forwarded to the correct pc

if you want on-screen notification and confirmation that someone has
logged on to your KDE session, install "tk" - Graphical User Interface
Toolkit for Tcl if it is not already installed
as root enter in a terminal

Code:
--------------------
    zypper in tk
--------------------

then do the following instead of Step 3 above
for a popup on the host computer to allow or disallow a connection and
display a tray icon notification of a connection to the host
in a terminal enter

Code:
--------------------
    echo "#! /bin/sh" >~/.kde4/Autostart/x11vnc
  echo "x11vnc -rfbauth ~/.vnc/passwd -bg -accept "popup" -gone "popup" -rfbport 5900 -gui tray=minimal,iconfont=14x17 -forever -noxdamage &" >>~/.kde4/Autostart/x11vnc
  chmod +x ~/.kde4/Autostart/x11vnc
--------------------

or
for just a tray icon notification of a connection to the host
in a terminal enter

Code:
--------------------
    echo "#! /bin/sh" >~/.kde4/Autostart/x11vnc
  echo "x11vnc -rfbauth ~/.vnc/passwd -bg -rfbport 5900 -gui tray=minimal,iconfont=14x17 -forever -noxdamage &" >>~/.kde4/Autostart/x11vnc
  chmod +x ~/.kde4/Autostart/x11vnc
--------------------

Tested with openSuse 11.0,11.1 using KDE 3.5,KDE 4.3

--
tom_enos
tom_enos's Profile: http://forums.opensuse.org/member.php?userid=17191
View this thread: http://forums.opensuse.org/showthread.php?t=422732

0
tom
12/15/2009 10:16:01 PM
@tom_enos

Thank You so much for the quick response.

The above solution helps me to login to a existing session from windows
using vnc client.

Suppose i access a locked machine remotely, this leaves the server
machine unlocked. All the operations are visible on the server machine
monitor.

IS IT POSSIBLE TO KEEP THE SERVER MACHINE LOCKED?

ALSO, IS IT POSSIBLE TO MAKE XRDP USE X11VNC?

The default startwm.sh in xdrp has the foll:

Code:
--------------------

  #!/bin/bash
  #
  # startwm.sh for SuSE Linux
  #

  . /etc/sysconfig/windowmanager

  test -z "$DEFAULT_WM" && DEFAULT_WM=twm
  WINDOWMANAGER="`type -p ${DEFAULT_WM##*/}`"
  unset DEFAULT_WM

  exec /etc/X11/xdm/Xsession $WINDOWMANAGER

  exit 1
--------------------

--
shri1234
shri1234's Profile: http://forums.opensuse.org/member.php?userid=38353
View this thread: http://forums.opensuse.org/showthread.php?t=422732

0
shri1234
12/16/2009 5:36:01 AM
shri1234;2088631 Wrote:
> *Also, is it possible to make xrdp use x11vnc?*
I have not tried so I do not know.

shri1234;2088631 Wrote:

> IS IT POSSIBLE TO KEEP THE SERVER MACHINE LOCKED?

No, you have to unlock the session, but if the monitor supports DPMS
you can keep it in or put it in that state when a client connects by
adding these options to your x11vnc start up script

Code:
--------------------
    -forcedpms             If the system supports the DPMS (Display Power
  Management Signaling) extension, then try to keep the
  monitor in a powered off state.  This is to prevent
  nosey people at the physical display from viewing what
  is on the screen.  Be sure to lock the screen before
  disconnecting.

  This method is far from bullet proof, e.g. suppose
  someone attaches a non-DPMS monitor, or loads the
  machine so that there is a gap of time before x11vnc
  restores the powered off state?  On many machines if
  he floods it with keyboard and mouse input he can see
  flashes of what is on the screen before the DPMS off
  state is reestablished.  For this to work securely
  there would need to be support in the X server to do
  this exactly rather than approximately with DPMS.

  -clientdpms            As -forcedpms but only when VNC clients are connected.
--------------------

and also use these options to lock the host keyboard and mouse

Code:
--------------------
    -grabkbd               When VNC viewers are connected, attempt to the grab
  the keyboard so a (non-malicious) user sitting at the
  physical display is not able to enter keystrokes.
  This method uses XGrabKeyboard(3X11) and so it is
  not secure and does not rule out the person at the
  physical display injecting keystrokes by flooding the
  server with them, grabbing the keyboard himself, etc.
  Some degree of cooperation from the person at the
  display is assumed.  This is intended for remote
  help-desk or educational usage modes.
  -grabptr               As -grabkbd, but for the mouse pointer using
  XGrabPointer(3X11).  Unfortunately due to the way the X
  server works, the mouse can still be moved around by the
  user at the physical display, but he will not be able to
  change window focus with it.  Also some window managers
  that call XGrabServer(3X11) for resizes, etc, will
  act on the local user's input.  Again, some degree of
  cooperation from the person at the display is assumed.
--------------------

--
tom_enos
tom_enos's Profile: http://forums.opensuse.org/member.php?userid=17191
View this thread: http://forums.opensuse.org/showthread.php?t=422732

0
tom
12/16/2009 11:06:02 AM
Thank You again

--
shri1234
shri1234's Profile: http://forums.opensuse.org/member.php?userid=38353
View this thread: http://forums.opensuse.org/showthread.php?t=422732

0
shri1234
12/16/2009 11:46:01 AM
I have xrdp running, but when I connect to it with krdc, I always get
IceWM session. How do I change it?

As thre's "DefaultWindowManager=startwm.sh" in sesman.ini, I set
/etc/xrdp/startwm.sh to:

Code:
--------------------

  #!/bin/sh
  startxfce4
  exit 0

--------------------

But it does not change anything :(

When looking at xrdp-sesman.log, I see there this line: "starting Xdmx
session..." - do I need to change Xdmx configuration instead?

--
atroxix
atroxix's Profile: http://forums.opensuse.org/member.php?userid=4116
View this thread: http://forums.opensuse.org/showthread.php?t=422732

0
atroxix
4/22/2010 10:26:01 AM
Hmm, looks like ~/.xinitrc executes the desired Window Manager. But I'd
like to not use xrdp's window manager as default. Any other way for
setting window manager for xrdp?

--
atroxix
atroxix's Profile: http://forums.opensuse.org/member.php?userid=4116
View this thread: http://forums.opensuse.org/showthread.php?t=422732

0
atroxix

Cant get Zenworks application to work! Help!!!! :)
Hi all, I'm trying to upgrade our adobe reader 7 to version 8 via Zenworks. I have basically just created the new Adobe 8 Zenworks application from a copy of the Adobe 7 one .ie. using an exsisting application object and just changed things around to point to the Adobe 8 files, etc instead. I also get the following error when I try to deploy the application "Could not launch Adobe 8 Reader (I) TEST.APPS.ZEN.SSAT (using msiexec) (id=267) THe directory name is invalid" I can't figure out what this error means. The difference I have seen between the co...

Help: Can't get Excel.Application as Automation to work
I've tried adding "Microsoft Excel 97 Application" as a OLE Automation ActiveX component to the component pallet with no success. After pressing "finish" on the wizard screen, a "building ..." screen flashes on the screen very fast and then a message stating "ActiveX component library(s) successfully created" message appears. No directory for "Excel.Application" gets created and nothing gets generated or added to the component palette. I'm using Power++ 2.0. I've tried the default options settings on the wizard as we...

Application Unavailable, .aspx applications not working! Help, Please!
Whenever I make and run an .aspx application, this happens, but when I run an .asp application, it doesn't: Server Application Unavailable The web application you are attempting to access on this web server is currently unavailable. Please hit the "Refresh" button in your web browser to retry your request. Administrator Note: An error message detailing the cause of this specific request failure can be found in the system event log of the web server. Please review this log entry to discover what caused this error to occur. 1.) How do I get to the 'log entry'? 2.) A...

help help help with getting started
I have a simple page with this code: <%@ Page Language="vb" Debug="true" %> <%@ import Namespace="System.Data" %> <%@ import Namespace="System.Data.SQLClient" %> <script runat="server"> sub Page_load(Sender As Object, E As EventArgs) if not ispostback then 'create connection Dim Conn As SqlConnection = New SqlConnection 'create data adapter Dim dataAdapter As SqlDataAdapter = New SqlDataAdapter 'create dataset Dim dataview...

Can't get it to work. Can't get help.
Name: Tony Clarke Email: minionataondotat Product: Thunderbird Summary: Can't get it to work. Can't get help. Comments: Installed T'bird. Had to change defunct server that T'bird selected by default. Kept asking for passwords associated with previous email (Outlook Express ), when passwords entered then got error messages saying aon responded with 're-authentification failure'. Searched your knowledge base & help forums to no avail. Found them very user-unfriendly & ended up more confused than before. Would like to try T'bird, but I think ...

HELP!HELP!HELP!HELP!HELP!HELP!

Help Help Help Help Help Help

Help, Will pay someone to help me figure out how to get my ASP membership working with VWD2005 and SQL2005
Help!! I am fairly new at developing with VWD 2005 VB...  I created a website that uses membership controls and has roles associated with them.  It works fine when I am debugging it on my computer using VWD, but now that I have deployed it to a SQL 2005 server on a seperate hosting service I cannot get it to work.  First I figured out that just downloading the App_Data folder does no good because you have to store it in an SQL2005 database that is different than a Sql Express database and that it is not exactly formatted in the same way. Then I had to create a SQL2...

Need help to get usb linksys WUSB600N to work (or advice what pci-express to buy that will work)
I have a desktop pc running opensuse 12.1 that I want to connect via linksys wireless usb (WUSB600n). As this is my first experience with the trouble of going online wireless with opensuse I need some help to get it working. With knetworkmanager I can't select a wireless connection, so opensuse doesn't seem to "see" the usb device. I tried running /usr/bin/lsusb and found following entry: Code: -------------------- Bus 001 Device 002: ID 1739:0079 Linksys WUSB600N v2 Dual-band Wireless-N Network Adapter [Ralink RT3572] -------------------- ...

Help, Will pay someone to help me figure out how to get my ASP membership working with VWD2005 and SQL2005 #2
Help!! I am fairly new at developing with VWD 2005 VB...  I created a website that uses membership controls and has roles associated with them.  It works fine when I am debugging it on my computer using VWD, but now that I have deployed it to a SQL 2005 server on a seperate hosting service I cannot get it to work.  First I figured out that just downloading the App_Data folder does no good because you have to store it in an SQL2005 database that is different than a Sql Express database and that it is not exactly formatted in the same way. Then I had to create a SQL2...

Need help on how to get a DNN DB that works on web to work Local without all menus going to the orginal URL
My programmer is have trouble getting DNN 3.0.13 DB & My Custom app tables that runs on the web with many Portal Aliases to work from localhost.  As soon as you logon or any tab it reverts back to the portal 0 URL. I have it simulated at portal.quotes4.biz which has the DB from quotes4.biz where I have added Portal Aliases for: portal.quotes4.biz, www.portal.quotes4.biz  & localhost/DotNetNuke in quotes4.biz from the menu host, Portal, edit portal 0 . At http://www.quotes4.biz/ if I select Home tab it takes me to http://quotes4.biz/Default.aspx?TabId=141&nbs...

Help me. My Synchronization Application does not work. MobileLink has no response.How to build a comminucation betwon my Palm Application and PC's MobileLink?
My develop environment: ASA 80. CodeWarrior 7.0 PalmOS 3.5 The example CustDB is working. I create a new database, Start a MobileLink service with it. It's working too. Then I create a new project, use Embedden SQL. I try Synchronize it by this way: ////////////////////////////////// bool TRacerDB::PalmExit( void ) { bool ret = false; ul_synch_info info; ULInitSynchInfo( &info ); info.stream = NULL; info.stream_parms = STREAM_PARAM; info.user_name = USER_NAME; info.password = USER_PASSWORD; ...

WebParts - Strange - I have drag and drop working in firefox and safari but can't get it to work in ie
Hi Guys, I've run into an issue with webparts:  Using asp.net 3.5 on iis 6 with the AjaxControlToolkit-Framework3.5SP1, Browsing using ie8 in compatiblitiy mode on Windows 7 beta (but also tested in vista) I have managed to get it so that drag and drop works in firefox and Safari, using Microsoft.Web.Preview.UI.Controls.WebParts however when I view the page in ie the drag drop functionality is somewhat lost - I can still drag the items to another webpartzone, but once you mouse down to drag, the webpart does not follow the mouse - it stays put until you release over another zone...

Please Help.. Can't get ASP.NET App to Work on Web Server, works on local system
I have an application I developled for a shopping cart function using Wrox ASP.NET book as a guide. I have everything working great on my local system using SQL 2005 Express. When I move the app to an IIS 6.0 Web Server with SQL 2005 Express installed I get the following error. Line 103:    Public Overridable Property Cart() As Wrox.Commerce.ShoppingCartLine 104:        GetLine 105:            Return CType(Me.GetPropertyValue("Cart"),Wrox.Commerce.ShoppingCart)Line 106:   ...

Web resources about - Getting XRDP working? - opensuse.org.help.applications

Working class - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia
Working class (or lower class , labouring class, sometimes proletariat ) is a term used in the social sciences and in ordinary conversation to ...

GPT adds second Melbourne co-working space to meet tenants' increasing flexibility needs
GPT Group has opened its second Space & Co co-working space in Melbourne and is targeting the needs of more established users, rather than start-ups. ...

NASA has begun working on its next great space observatory
The wide-field telescope will address dark energy and spy on nearby exoplanets.

A Briton working working in Kyrgyzstan is arrested and faces a 5-year sentence for referring to a traditional ...
The traditional food is chuchuk, a sausage made from horse meat (including, the article says, "offal"). Michael Mcfeat wrote on Facebook that ...

There Are 7 House Democrats Enabling Anti-Working Family GOP Tax Policies, Like Kyrsten Sinema
... Number one, of course, was a giant wet kiss for Big Oil in the form of a repeal of the oil export ban. As Mike Huckabee pointed out, working ...

This guy spent 6 years working for Steve Jobs — now he's trying to do for laundry what Tesla did for ...
Glenn Reid spent six years working for Steve Jobs — first, a year at Jobs' startup NeXt, and then from 1998 to 2003 at Apple, where he developed ...

Duchess Kate had the fewest public events of the ‘working royals’ in 2015
... of Cambridge had the fewest number of royal events for 2015. The 2015 tally came out a few days ago, and of course Kate was the least-working ...

Leaking gas well in Porter Ranch lacked a working safety valve - Chicago Tribune
A leaking natural gas well that has displaced thousands of residents in Porter Ranch lacked a working safety valve, sparking new questions about ...

Utilities Working To Be EV Pioneers
... of utility guys. The summit had one session with perspectives from 6 different utility reps — JEA’s Peter King, Gulf [&hellip Utilities Working ...

AT&T working with Chicago, others on smart city tech
LAS VEGAS AT&T is working with three major cities Atlanta, Chicago and Dallas on smart city innovations that incorporate Internet of Things technology ...