Firefox & Adobe Flash Player

Hello everyone,

Before I ask my question, I want to tell you that I am a complete
newbie with SUSE and Linux in general.

I am trying to install adobe flash player for Firefox but I keep
running into a brick wall.  I downloaded the flash player from the adobe
website (the one with .tar.gz), and extracted it.  It's currently
located in the 'Downloads' folder.

I read up and found that the file needs to be in the
usr/lib/browser-plugins folder, but when I try to move/copy it over
there it tells me that my access is denied eventhough there's only one
user on the system (the one I logged in with) and has root privilages.

Can anybody tell me how I can get this done?

--
Amer24

Amer24

First, welcome to openSUSE!

Secondly, this isn't windows, so the regular user does not have
permissions to modify things in the / folder. You have to become the
root user to do this.

Thirdly, have you updated openSUSE yet? If not there's a script that
actually installs Adobe Flash Player when you first update.

To update open Yast Software Management and if it is your first time,
it will automatically have packages selected for updating and
installing, one of those is flash. Click accept and wait for the update
to occur. When it's done, close firefox then open it again and try out a
site like youtube.

Take Care,

Ian

--
Laptop: Dell Inspiron E1505 | OpenSUSE 11.2RC2/Windows XP | KDE 4.3.1
"5" | Intel CPU T2050 1.6 GHZ | Intel 945GM | 3.2GB RAM

0
ijbreakey
11/17/2009 3:46:01 AM
Thank you, Ian!

I'm updating as I type, and yes adobe flash was on there. :)

However, I would like to know how I can get root privilages for issues
that I might run into in the future.

--
Amer24
Amer24's Profile: http://forums.opensuse.org/member.php?userid=37262
View this thread: http://forums.opensuse.org/showthread.php?t=425981

0
Amer24
11/17/2009 3:56:03 AM
Please read this first as it's critical for your system security:

'SDB:Login as root - openSUSE'
(http://en.opensuse.org/SDB:Login_as_root)

If you need to do things as root like installing programs, use tools
like Yast which automatically heighten you to root permissions when it
asks you for your password.

If you need to be root in a terminal type

Code:
--------------------
    su
--------------------

hit enter, then enter your password.

To become root with a kde or gnome application like konqueror or
nautilus use:

Code:
--------------------
    kdesu
--------------------
 or
Code:
--------------------
    gnomesu
--------------------
 with the application name like so:

Code:
--------------------
    kdesu dolphin /usr/lib/browser-plugins
--------------------

or

Code:
--------------------
    gnomesu nautilus /usr/lib/browser-plugins
--------------------

instead of su

Note: Be very careful when heightened to root privileges as you can
completely mess up your system if you don't know what you're doing.

Take Care,

Ian

--
Laptop: Dell Inspiron E1505 | OpenSUSE 11.2/Windows XP | KDE 4.3.3 "1" |
Intel CPU T2050 1.6 GHZ | Intel 945GM | 3.2GB RAM
| Intel 915G | 1.2 GB RAM
ijbreakey's Profile: http://forums.opensuse.org/member.php?userid=20245
View this thread: http://forums.opensuse.org/showthread.php?t=425981

0
ijbreakey

Adobe Flash Player & Shockwave Flash
Anyone have latest version download links for Firefox & Internet Explorer? I somehow lost the links... TIA gram gram pappy wrote: > > Anyone have latest version download links for Firefox & Internet Explorer? > I somehow lost the links... TIA Surely. <http://www.adobe.com/products/flashplayer/distribution3.html> <http://get.adobe.com/shockwave/otherversions/> Others may have better links. -- Randy <http://msmvps.com/blogs/siljaline/default.aspx> <http://www.linkedin.com/in/randyknobloch> On Wed, 13 Jun 2012 2...

http://www.firefox-community-edition.org/firefox-download-process/firefox-offer-premium.php?from=1waskwywabbit%40gmail%2ecom&meta_adtracking=ffdoi&meta_message=1&meta_required=from&meta_web_form_id=10
Name: bunny Email: 1waskwywabbitatgmaildotcom Product: Firefox Summary: http://www.firefox-community-edition.org/firefox-download-process/firefox-offer-premium.php?from=1waskwywabbit%40gmail%2ecom&meta_adtracking=ffdoi&meta_message=1&meta_required=from&meta_web_form_id=105814493&name=bunny&unit=firefox%2dorg Comments: are you aware of this website? http://www.firefox-community-edition.org/firefox-download- process/firefox-offer-premium.php?from=1waskwywabbit%40gmail% 2ecom&meta_adtracking=ffdoi&meta_message=1&meta_required=from&meta_web...

about adobe flash player on the firefox
Name: Ivan Rantung Email: braveyoungmanatyahoodotcom Product: Firefox Summary: about adobe flash player on the firefox Comments: i just want to asked, why if i want to login the texas Holdem poker (zynga)on facebook, firefox its allways show me if i must upgrade the adobe flash player. but sure, my adobe flash player its up to date. please help me Browser Details: Mozilla/5.0 (Windows; U; Windows NT 5.1; id; rv:1.9.2b4) Gecko/20091124 Firefox/3.6b4 From URL: http://hendrix.mozilla.org/ Note to readers: Hendrix gives no expectation of a response to this feedback but if ...

ADOBE FLASH PLAYER FOR FIREFOX
Name: PEPE ARENAS Product: Firefox Summary: ADOBE FLASH PLAYER FOR FIREFOX Comments: Just for your info t is really complicated installing Adobe Flash Player 10.0.45 in FIREFOX. I wanted sending a picture but not attachment is possible. Think on it. A paint of the window will help you more. Working with: Microsoft Windows XP Professional Versión 5.1.2600 Service Pack 3 Compilación 2600 Microsoft Corporation Computer - Acer Sistem Model - TravelMate 660 Tipo de sistema Equipo basado en X86 Procesador - x86 Family 6 Model 9 Stepping 5 GenuineIntel ~1594 MHz BIOS Ve...

Adobe Flash Player in Firefox
Windows XP SP2 Firefox 2.0.0.14 Adobe Flash Player 9.0.124 Is there a way to disable the Adobe Flash Player plug-in? At least one site I visit often updates its Flash Player window about every 20 to 30 seconds and the Windows XP system spikes its CPU usage during the update. I visit that site often and leave it running behind other open (not Firefox)windows. The spiking effect the scrolling of the current window and that annoys me. So, I would like to doable the Flash Player for that site. Thank you. Whoops! Typo Corrections Windows XP SP2 Firefox 2.0.0.14 ...

Firefox 3.04 and Firefox 3.1 Beta 1
Name: Thomas Domin Email: domindottomatgooglemaildotcom Product: Firefox Summary: Firefox 3.04 and Firefox 3.1 Beta 1 - ignore Adobe flash player 10 Comments: Flash Player 10 from Adobe/Macromedia was installed many times befor: Now is reading: You need to upgrade your Flash Player. Ekornes Stressless Catalouge if you're absolutely positive you have Flash 8 oe requires Macromedia Flash, version 8 or greater. Please click here to download. Or, if you're absolutely positive you have Flash 8 or greater, click here to force the site to load. From URL: http://hendrix....

64bit Firefox & Adobe Flash
Hi, I don't seem to be able to get adobe flash to work in Firefox2, 64bit. I googled and tried various solutions but none of them work. Can anyone help me? Thanks g -- gilap ------------------------------------------------------------------------ gilap;1820263 Wrote: > Hi, > I don't seem to be able to get adobe flash to work in Firefox2, 64bit. > I googled and tried various solutions but none of them work. > Can anyone help me? > Thanks > g You didn't state which version of OpenSUSE you are trying to get this to work in, but i...

firefox 3 and adobe flash player
Name: xclene Email: thesixthatwpdotpl Product: Firefox Summary: firefox 3 and adobe flash player Comments: winXP can not install adobe flash player Browser Details: Mozilla/5.0 (Windows; U; Windows NT 5.1; pl; rv:1.9) Gecko/2008051206 Firefox/3.0 From URL: http://hendrix.mozilla.org/ ...

problem with firefox adobe flash player
Name: P. royer Email: d-kmeathotmaildotcom Product: Firefox Summary: problem with firefox adobe flash player Comments: I have the beta version of firefox. Since yesterday i could watch webtv and onlineradio with firefox, but sudently today adobe flash player doesn't work and doesnt want to download correctly : Impossible de charger: C:\Windows\system32\Macromed\Flash\NPSWF32.dll Cet élément ne peut pas être installé par Firefox car « install-y4c..rdf » (fourni par l'élément) est incorrect ou n'existe pas. Veuillez conta...

firefox e adobe flash player
Name: vampirello65@yahoo.it Email: vampirello65atyahoodotit Product: Minefield Summary: firefox e adobe flash player Comments: vogliamo un player come adobe per firefox 64 bit Browser Details: Mozilla/5.0 (Windows; U; Windows NT 5.2 x64; en-US; rv:1.9.3a1pre) Gecko/20091008 Minefield/3.7a1pre (.NET CLR 3.5.30729) From URL: http://hendrix.mozilla.org/ Note to readers: Hendrix gives no expectation of a response to this feedback but if you wish to provide one you must BCC (not CC) the sender for them to see it. ...

Adobe Flash Player Help Needed
I just bought a new computer and am having trouble installing the adobe flash player. I click install and it says that I need to turn seamonkey off for it to install so then I go and turn seamonkey off and it says the exact same thing. I then tried restarting and installing but it says I need to turn seamonkey off. I don't understand how to install the player please advise. I have a PC with XP Pro on it and am using seamonkey 1.1.14 on it joseph ====================== Joseph Puentes NoMeat@h2opodcast.com http://h2opodcast.com/vsse.html (Vegan Environmental Soluti...

Firefox Adobe Flash player crash
Name: Product: Firefox Summary: Firefox Adobe Flash player crash Comments: Adobe Flash players always crash when there are more than one players operating in different window tabs at the same time Browser Details: Mozilla/5.0 (Windows; U; Windows NT 5.1; en-US; rv:1.9.2.14) Gecko/20110121 Firefox/3.6.14 GTB7.1 From URL: http://hendrix.mozilla.org/ Note to readers: Hendrix gives no expectation of a response to this feedback but if you wish to provide one you must BCC (not CC) the sender for them to see it. ...

Adobe Flash Player and Firefox 4
Hi all, I've been noticing that Adobe Flash Player crashes very regularly on YouTube in Firefox 4. It literally crashes on pretty much every video and comes up with the message "Adobe Flash Player has crashed, click here to send an error report", when you send an error report it gives you the option to reload the page, when you reload the page it usually works but the same crash cycle repeats when clicking on another video. I've tried uninstalling and reinstalling but it doesn't seem to have done anything, it just seems to be a problem with Firefox 4 as I al...

Fixed -- Adobe Flash Player 11.3
https://bugbase.adobe.com/index.cfm?event=bug&id=3223393 "Hi, this issue is fixed in internal build, you can get next beta build from http://labs.adobe.com/technologies/flashruntimes/flashplayer/ to verify your issue. Thanks!" --Jing Yuan on 3:13:50 AM GMT+00:00 Jun 17, 2014 Finally fixed?! -- "The world flatters the elephant and tramples on the ant." --Indian /\___/\ Ant(Dude) @ http://antfarm.ma.cx (Personal Web Site) / /\ /\ \ Ant's Quality Foraged Links: http://aqfl.net | |o o| | \ _ / If crediting, ...

Web resources about - Firefox & Adobe Flash Player - opensuse.org.help.applications

Firefox Affiliates

Firefox OS
The latest news about Firefox OS

Techarger Firefox

Firefox Flicks : Winners

Firefox Beta Launches Social API With Facebook Messenger As Initial Partner
As originally announced earlier this month by Firefox parent Mozilla , the beta test of the Web browser’s Social API launched Monday with Facebook ...