Changing File Permissions

Hi All,

I am new to the KDE desktop and have used GNOME while running .deb
distros. There I could change file permissions using Nautilus. I have
tried Krusader, but can not get to Root to edit file permissions. I have
seen some text versions of how to do this in terminal, but this seems a
little complex for the task at hand.

What is the simplest way to change permissions?

--
Regards,

JJMacey
Phoenix, Arizona - -The Valley Of The Sun-
A 'Linux Web Site' (http://www.jjmacey.net), And A 'Linux Blog'
(http://www.jjmacey.net/blog/). -All Linux! I've been there, and done
that!-

jjmacey

So, there is a File Manage Super User in the KDE menu if you look for
it.  Or, you can just do *Alt-F2* and enter *kdesu dolphin* which will
also do what you want.  Here is a Quick and Dirty guide to permissions.

'Quick and Dirty Guide to Linux File Permissions - LinuxQuestions.org'
(http://tinyurl.com/rb623)

and another

'How Linux file permissions work'
(http://www.cyberciti.biz/faq/how-linux-file-permissions-work/)

Thank You,

--
Remember that little in Life is certain, including any advice you may
get from me, you poor soul, but at least I am trying to help.

:)Its James again from Austin Texas - Software efficiency halves every
18 months, thus compensating for Moore's Law.
jdmcdaniel3's Profile: http://forums.opensuse.org/member.php?userid=43440
View this thread: http://forums.opensuse.org/showthread.php?t=474202

0
jdmcdaniel3
4/8/2012 1:26:03 AM
jjmacey;2454560 Wrote:
>  I have tried Krusader, but can not get to Root to edit file
> permissions.
You should start Krusader - root mode (there must be two menu entries
for krusader). It should ask you for the root password. Then you can
right click on any file, select "properties" and set permissions and
ownership. You can also install Gnome and use nautilus under KDE ... and
last but not least, you can learn how to use chown and chmod in a root
terminal, which is still the best method under Linux after all.

--
please_try_again
please_try_again's Profile: http://forums.opensuse.org/member.php?userid=10877
View this thread: http://forums.opensuse.org/showthread.php?t=474202

0
please
4/8/2012 1:46:02 AM
For using Krusader in KDE, do an *Alt-F2* and enter: * kdesu kfmclient
openProfile filemanagement*

Thank You,

--
Remember that little in Life is certain, including any advice you may
get from me, you poor soul, but at least I am trying to help.

:)Its James again from Austin Texas - Software efficiency halves every
18 months, thus compensating for Moore's Law.
jdmcdaniel3's Profile: http://forums.opensuse.org/member.php?userid=43440
View this thread: http://forums.opensuse.org/showthread.php?t=474202

0
jdmcdaniel3
4/8/2012 4:06:03 AM
> Or, you can just do Alt-F2 and enter kdesu dolphin which will also do
> what you want.

jdmcdaniel3,

Thanks - that did the trick!

--

jjmacey's Profile: http://forums.opensuse.org/member.php?userid=3577
View this thread: http://forums.opensuse.org/showthread.php?t=474202

0
jjmacey
4/8/2012 4:16:02 AM
jjmacey;2454592 Wrote:
> jdmcdaniel3,
>
> Thanks - that did the trick!

Very happy to help jjmacey and you have a very good night.

Thank You,

--
Remember that little in Life is certain, including any advice you may
get from me, you poor soul, but at least I am trying to help.

:)Its James again from Austin Texas - Software efficiency halves every
18 months, thus compensating for Moore's Law.
jdmcdaniel3's Profile: http://forums.opensuse.org/member.php?userid=43440
View this thread: http://forums.opensuse.org/showthread.php?t=474202

0
jdmcdaniel3

Integrating do I integrate all help files
How do I integrate PFC, sybase and powerbuilderhelp files together help such that I can get help on all issues (PFC, sybase and powerbuilderhelp ) through powerbuilder's help-content menu only . Please don't cross-post. On 1 Nov 2004 12:34:08 -0700, "Damola adesuyi" <someone@microsoft.com> wrote: >How do I integrate PFC, sybase and powerbuilderhelp files together help such >that I can get help on all issues (PFC, sybase and powerbuilderhelp ) >through powerbuilder's help-content menu only . > Bruce Armstrong [TeamSybase] http://www....

Newbie needs help to change folder/file permissions
I've migrated to Suse from Mandriva. I installed all my backup folders/files to my "home" folder but they have come up locked. I remember in Mandriva to change the permissions I pressed Alt F2 and then entered a command. How do I do it in Suse? -- theblackpig ------------------------------------------------------------------------ On 2011-07-29 00:26, theblackpig wrote: > > I've migrated to Suse from Mandriva. I installed all my backup > folders/files to my "home" folder but they have come up locked. > I remember in Mandriva to ...

Help...copy file when the source file is open by another application
CopyFile does not work if the source is open. Please give me an example how to copy in that case the file from source to destination. Thanks. BB DD <> wrote: >CopyFile does not work if the source is open. Please give me an example how to copy in that case the file from source to destination. Thanks. Open the file in read-only mode. If the file cannot be opened in read-only mode, it can not be copied. Open the destination file. Read the source file. Write the destination file. Repeat until done. Close both files. ... ...

File permission help
I have done a program that is able to upload pictures and leave comments and things in my database. It states that if I use this on a web servers file system the asp.net application must have write permission. how do I do that ? I know how to do it for linux rwx rwx rwx   but what I am i suppose to do on asp.net? Please help it dosen't state in the book :-)    thanks on the folder you are wanting to add the images to, you give permissions to the appropriate folders by: right-click folderselect "properties"on new window popup click on "Security Ta...

Application Help Files
Hello all, We are writting an application, and we want to know what type of help files to use to give our users, well, help. Do we use .chm or .hlp? Or does it matter at all?? Cheers, Poopenhime On 15 Sep 2004 18:13:46 -0700, Poopenhime wrote: >Hello all, > >We are writting an application, and we want to know what >type of help files to use to give our users, well, help. > >Do we use .chm or .hlp? Or does it matter at all?? I would use the HTML help. MS has been pushing it for years now. Boris Gasin [TeamSybase] mailto:NOSPAM_bgasin@dynamictec...

Help!
Hi, hope someone can help me with this. We completed a migration from NT to NetWare last weekend. When we used the migration wizard we allowed it to copy over the NT permissions to NetWare, it turns out this was our mistake. Now each individual file and directory has explicit permissions set, there are no inheritance rights in effect, this of course is causing administrative overhead. Does anyone know of a way I can remove all the trustee assignments and apply inheritance rights to a set of files, directories and sub directories without having to individually do each one - t...

HELP-Files for my application
Hello i have implemented for my MDI-Application a help-file.....it work's find; how could i implement a help-function for my response-windows???? thank's in advance Michael E. in the open-event, set the menu for the response window after opening it (take a look at ChangeMenu() in PB-Help) and hide it afterwards. This will enable the user to still trigger the menu actions thru it's shortcuts (e.g. <Shift-F1>) but won't change the appearance. Ben "M.Erlinger" <michael.erlinger@vienna.at> wrote in message news:4077ed6a@forums-1-dub...

Cannot change file permissions
Hi allI am running Windows XP with SP2. I am trying to do a new install of DNN4.0.2 on my home machine at home. However, during the setup procedure it is required that the permissions to the file where the site resides be set. So, doing this, I right click on the file, select Sharing and Security, now I should select the security tab. But it doesn't exist. It isn't there. I tried to continue the installation by just skipping this step but at the install the program ends with an error page. So I need to change the permissions. How do I do this when the Security tab isn't in the Sharing and Se...

HELP!HELP!HELP!HELP!HELP!HELP!

Help Help Help Help Help Help

Help with Help File
I have a project that uses the PFC command pfc_help to implement windows level help. I've set the ia_helptypeid for all cases. When I run the application through the PB environment all of the links to the help file work perfectly, but when I create an executable and run it I get the following error message: The help topic does not exist. Contact your application vendor for an updated help file. (129) Is there something I need to include in the resource file when I build the project? Thanks in advance for the help. Cheryl wrote: > > I have a project that uses the ...

Help with a Help application
 HelloI am looking for an application that can be integrated with my ASP.NET application to provide context sensitive help. When users navigate to different pages and click on the help icon, they should be able to see the help for the page they are on. The help text will be manually entered by a team that is not technically inclined.Currently, we have ASPX/HTML pages that holds the help information and link it from the header that has the help icon.Please let me know which products I can look at.Thanks! what I did: I put an help button on my masterpage....Javascript code on the maste...

Help! An error has occurred writing to the exception log. The permissions are not set properly on the log file or directory, or the log file has been marked as READ-ONLY.
I got this message with no more information which can help me to continue to trace. I know this is from http://localhost/DotNetNuke/components/Exceptions/XMLExceptionPublishervb.vb and Catch exc As UnauthorizedAccessException. I don't know which file is accidently set to READ ONLY due Host site and Loacl Machine download/upload transmission. Somebody can help me there? Please Willi, the file in question is in portals/_default/logs/ The message is referring to not being able to write out the exception. You will need to set the file permissions on the entire folder that DNN reside...

help help help help

Creating application help files
Hey Guys,             I have a quick question. What do you think would be the best way to create online help files? Should I use the help workshop, use an xml based system, create a simple static help web site or is there an Atlas alternative? Any advice would be greatly appreciated. Thanks If by "online" you mean "from the web", then the HTML Help Workshop may not be the best idea since you'd have to download it as a compiled file anyway; of course if you've created your chm file with HHW, then you could always offer up a non-compil...

Help Help Help Help

Changing partition file permissions
Hey guys, I created a new NTFS partition through Windows on the unpartitioned space on my hard drive, and I successfully mounted it under OpenSUSE using the Expert Partitioner, but I'm having trouble with the permissions for the folder. The folder is under the ownership of the root user, which I am, but when I try to change the permissions of the folder, they automatically reset to the default permissions. The problem is that the default permissions only allow users to read, and not write. I tried both changing it through Nautilus and the terminal, but still the problem persis...

Linking Help file to my application
Can anyone help me do this: i would like to link a help file (.chm) to my web application. In other words when i press F1 i should be able to open this help file (.chm).   thanks Mighty Ducks  That would be hard to do for several reasons 1/. F1 key is the industry norm for launching help, so chances are you browser IE/FF/Opera would launch its help file when you hit F12/. This will have to be done on client side meaning you must use javascript to launch a new window to display your help, that means you will have to hook onto an onkeypress of your html document and check ...

application cannot find help file
Currently using BDS 2006, C++ Builder environment. Have recently upgraded application from BCB5. I have written a help file (winhelp32) which is located in a subdirectory below application directory. When I run application inside IDE to debug, application cannot find help file. When I examine application class, help file property is a null string. I have tried setting help file (full path name) in root module and in my main form (mdi application) with no luck. When I try calling helpcommand method p assing helpcontents constant, get access error with message stating that no helpcontents...

PB Application Help File
Hi, I want to create te window help file for PB Application but I don't know what tool or programe to use. Could any one help? Thank you. Maria Any tool that supports the Windows Help or HTMLHelp formats. Doc-To-Help, RoboHelp, etc., etc. On Wed, 12 Mar 2003 09:57:51 -0500, Maria wrote: >Hi, > >I want to create te window help file for PB Application but I don't know >what tool or programe to use. Could any one help? Thank you. > >Maria Bruce Armstrong [TeamSybase] http://www.teamsybase.com Not 1 - but 2 new books on developing with Powe...

CSS file changes not applied in VS2008 until I change the CSS file name
I use an external CSS file where I make some changes. I run my web app in VS2008 and the style remains the same as in the older CSS file. I can see my new settings in the app only if I change the CSS file name (and the link in the web page), If I look in the Manage Styles window in VS, I see the updated version.  I have no other CSS file in my project.          AndreYou take the time to aswer my question, I garantee you I'll mark your post as answered. Hi, you mean in the browser right? If so, open your browser again and when you notice that you ...

Implementing Application help file with PFC
I'm wondering if anyone could provide some decent examples of implementing help with PFC. We have our help file in ROBOHelp - I need to add the indexes - however, I'm not entirely clear on the implementation of this in our PB app. I see the of_sethelp etc. Showhelp and the rest of it - however, I was wondering if the file was indexed per window - do you have to set the ia_helptype each time - I think I'm way off base - any help/suggestions or reference material is appreciated. Thanks! Hey William, I'll tell ya what we've done on ours. I've got PB9 wi...

Changing a saved message file permissions
Hello, TB v11.0 opensuse v12.1, linux 3.1.9-1.4-desktop x86_64 I save a message to a file. The saved file's permissions were set to 0600. This is unhelpful for me. Is there a way to change the default save permissions to the standard 0644? -- James Moe jmm-list at sohnen-moe dot com On 04/17/2012 12:11 AM, James Moe wrote: > Hello, > TB v11.0 > opensuse v12.1, linux 3.1.9-1.4-desktop x86_64 > > I save a message to a file. The saved file's permissions were set to > 0600. This is unhelpful for me. > Is there a way to change the...

Help! How to map ascx files from other application?
Hi guys,I have tried to use ascx files from other web aplication. And I have read in codeproject site, and they said that I should use an app-based path with the ~ prefix instead of classic virtual path. But I did try hundreds times, no more errors like ".. map to another app" but the error is "Object reference not set an instance.." which means the path is not correct.My web-app in inetpub is the following figure:wwwroot- MainWebsite (1)-- Skins---Skin01----SomeName.ascx- OtherWebsite (2)I would like to use the ascx files in (1) from (2). And my skin path is:~/MainWebsite/Skins/Skin01/SomeN...

Web resources about - Changing File Permissions - opensuse.org.help.applications

Permission - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Facebook Fixing Vulnerability That Would Prohibit Users From Revoking App Permissions
Facebook is working to remedy a vulnerability discovered by application security provider MyPermissions , which blocks users of the social network ...

Dwight Murphy - Ok, I now have permission to share the... - Facebook
Ok, I now have permission to share the news about Bowe Bergdahl..This in 2 emails... Here it is in Bob Bergdahls words to me! (1) You guys rock! ...

How-To: Handle Revoked Auth Permissions
This how-to document will help developers check a user's permissions and prompt that user for any missing permissions.

Facebook gives users more options for login, app permissions
Facebook CEO Mark Zuckerberg’s new mantra of “Move fast with stable infra,” might not be as sexy as “ Move fast and break things ,” but it reflects ...

Arafat's widow grants permission for Swiss lab to test poisoning theory
The Palestinian Authority also approved the probe, which was requested by Palestinian president Mahmoud Abbas after a media investigation found ...

Michael Daniel Henderson who killed three teenagers in a smash denied permission to appeal
A driver who killed three teenagers in a hit-and-run smash in southeast Queensland has been refused permission to appeal his 10-year sentence. ...

CSIRO moves toward industrial action: seeks Fair Work permission for protected action ballot
CSIRO's new chief executive Larry Marshall could soon be faced with disruptive staff.