BOINC

I want to install BOINC application. I downloaded BOINC for Linux, but
open SuSE is not supported. However, I heard that program alian can
transform .deb to .rpm but this file is .sh extension. How to inastall
it?

Plz help....

--
helen1

helen1

0
ab
6/13/2008 2:56:03 PM
open a console, cd to where you saved the file. once there, issue the
command

* sh boincsoftware.sh * ( replace boincsoftware with the actual file
name ) & press enter. it should then install. FYI i also run BOINC
software ;)

Andy

--
'SETI Team'
(http://setiathome.berkeley.edu/team_display.php?teamid=131759)

SuSE user since 7.0 linux user since 1995
To be is to do: Immanuel Kant
To do is to be: Descartes
Do be do be do : Frank Sinatra
deltaflyer44's Profile: http://forums.opensuse.org/member.php?userid=95
View this thread: http://forums.opensuse.org/showthread.php?t=385781

0
deltaflyer44
6/13/2008 2:56:04 PM
Thank you. This helped. Now to contribue to some project....:)

--
helen1
helen1's Profile: http://forums.opensuse.org/member.php?userid=1084
View this thread: http://forums.opensuse.org/showthread.php?t=385781

0
helen1
6/13/2008 3:06:03 PM
Cool, glad you got it sorted, go contribute :) Don't forget to sign up
for your account manager 'BOINCstats - BOINC Statistics / BAM! - BOINC
Account Manager' (http://boincstats.com/)

Andy

--
'SETI Team'
(http://setiathome.berkeley.edu/team_display.php?teamid=131759)
'Einstein Team'
(http://einstein.phys.uwm.edu/team_display.php?teamid=7733)

SuSE user since 7.0 linux user since 1995
To be is to do: Immanuel Kant
To do is to be: Descartes
Do be do be do : Frank Sinatra
deltaflyer44's Profile: http://forums.opensuse.org/member.php?userid=95
View this thread: http://forums.opensuse.org/showthread.php?t=385781

0
deltaflyer44
6/13/2008 3:16:04 PM
I'm a complete NOOB, and I'm trying to install the Linux version of
BOINC (ver 6.2.15) into my OpenSuse 11 operating system.

The gedit reports it cannot open the shell, I'm trying to follow the
instructions on how to install and operate "Alien", but I don't even
know how to open a console!

Can someone do a step-by-step?  I'm really new to this, but I really
want to contribute to BOINC!

Thanks in Advance

sosmad

--
sosmad
sosmad's Profile: http://forums.opensuse.org/member.php?userid=15630
View this thread: http://forums.opensuse.org/showthread.php?t=385781

0
sosmad
11/18/2008 4:46:01 AM
[QUOTE=sosmad]
I'm a complete NOOB, and I'm trying to install the Linux version of
BOINC (ver 6.2.15) into my OpenSuse 11 operating system.

The gedit reports it cannot open the shell, I'm trying to follow the
instructions on how to install and operate "Alien", but I don't even
know how to open a console!

Can someone do a step-by-step?  I'm really new to this, but I really
want to contribute to BOINC!

Thanks in Advance

sosmad
[/QUOTE]
Hi
Some users have built the rpm (and they are later versions), have a
search here on boinc;
[URL=http://software.opensuse.org/search]Get It[/URL]

--
Cheers Malcolm ��� (Linux Counter #276890)
openSUSE 11.0 x86 Kernel 2.6.25.18-0.2-default

0
Malcolm
11/18/2008 5:02:47 AM
[QUOTE=Malcolm][QUOTE=sosmad]
I'm a complete NOOB, and I'm trying to install the Linux version of
BOINC (ver 6.2.15) into my OpenSuse 11 operating system.

The gedit reports it cannot open the shell, I'm trying to follow the
instructions on how to install and operate "Alien", but I don't even
know how to open a console!

Can someone do a step-by-step?  I'm really new to this, but I really
want to contribute to BOINC!

Thanks in Advance

sosmad
[/QUOTE]
Hi
Some users have built the rpm (and they are later versions), have a
search here on boinc;
[URL=http://software.opensuse.org/search]Get It[/URL]
[/QUOTE]
Hi
Just had a look at the webpage it's an sh (shell file), you need to
save it to your home directory, then open a console/konsole then run;
[CODE]
sh boinc_6.2.15_i686-pc-linux-gnu.sh
[/CODE]
It will create a BOINC directory where you need to run;
[CODE]
../run_manager
or
~/BOINC/run_manager
[/CODE]

--
Cheers Malcolm ��� (Linux Counter #276890)
openSUSE 11.0 x86 Kernel 2.6.25.18-0.2-default
up 12:36, 1 user, load average: 2.21, 0.86, 0.33
GPU GeForce 6600 TE/6200 TE - Driver Version: 177.82

0
Malcolm
11/18/2008 5:10:35 AM
This is a big pain.  I am running 11.0 and kde4 and have to start BOINC
with Alt+F2.  Can't I create a shortcut on my desktop to start this with
1-click?

--
If your gecko is broken, you have a reptile dysfunction.:eek:
Prexy's Profile: http://forums.opensuse.org/member.php?userid=233
View this thread: http://forums.opensuse.org/showthread.php?t=385781

0
Prexy
11/18/2008 5:26:02 AM
[QUOTE=Prexy]
This is a big pain.  I am running 11.0 and kde4 and have to start BOINC
with Alt+F2.  Can't I create a shortcut on my desktop to start this with
1-click?
[/QUOTE]
Hi
Sure you can, just create a launcher pointing to the install location
eg;
[CODE]
~/BOINC/run_manager
or
/home/<yourusername>/BOINC/run_manager
[/CODE]

--
Cheers Malcolm ��� (Linux Counter #276890)
openSUSE 11.0 x86 Kernel 2.6.25.18-0.2-default
up 12:57, 1 user, load average: 0.06, 0.40, 0.47
GPU GeForce 6600 TE/6200 TE - Driver Version: 177.82

0
Malcolm
11/18/2008 5:29:06 AM
Thanks for your help, but, like I said, I'm a complete NOOB, and....:P

How do you open a console?  (I'm using OpenSuSe 11)

--
sosmad
sosmad's Profile: http://forums.opensuse.org/member.php?userid=15630
View this thread: http://forums.opensuse.org/showthread.php?t=385781

0
sosmad
11/18/2008 4:06:02 PM
malcolmlewis;1897079 Wrote:
> Hi
> Sure you can, just create a launcher pointing to the install location
> eg;

Code:
--------------------
  >   >
  > ~/BOINC/run_manager
  > or
  > /home/<yourusername>/BOINC/run_manager

--------------------

> --
> Cheers Malcolm ��� (Linux Counter #276890)
> openSUSE 11.0 x86 Kernel 2.6.25.18-0.2-default
> up 12:57, 1 user, load average: 0.06, 0.40, 0.47
> GPU GeForce 6600 TE/6200 TE - Driver Version: 177.82
Malcolm, in earlier versions, I could drag & drop or create desktop
shortcuts from the menu.  But plasma gives me only two choices for
launchers and they are both the kde menu launchers.  What am I missing?

--
If your gecko is broken, you have a reptile dysfunction.:eek:
Prexy's Profile: http://forums.opensuse.org/member.php?userid=233
View this thread: http://forums.opensuse.org/showthread.php?t=385781

0
Prexy
11/18/2008 4:36:01 PM
[QUOTE=Prexy]
malcolmlewis;1897079 Wrote:
> Hi
> Sure you can, just create a launcher pointing to the install location
> eg;

Code:
--------------------
  >   >
  > ~/BOINC/run_manager
  > or
  > /home/<yourusername>/BOINC/run_manager

--------------------

Malcolm, in earlier versions, I could drag & drop or create desktop
shortcuts from the menu.  But plasma gives me only two choices for
launchers and they are both the kde menu launchers.  What am I missing?
[/QUOTE]
Hi
Don't know as I don't use KDE :( What if you open a konsole and cd to
the Desktop and have a look via the cat command of an existing one?

Maybe someone with KDE4 knowledge can help out? Oh and on gnome you
need to use the full path ~/ doesn't work.

--
Cheers Malcolm ��� (Linux Counter #276890)
openSUSE 11.0 x86 Kernel 2.6.25.18-0.2-default
up 1 day 1:11, 3 users, load average: 0.14, 0.11, 0.16
GPU GeForce 6600 TE/6200 TE - Driver Version: 177.82

0
Malcolm
11/18/2008 5:43:14 PM
Ok, and how do I create a launcher pointing to the install location?  Do
I click on a program that starts the launcher?:O

--
sosmad
sosmad's Profile: http://forums.opensuse.org/member.php?userid=15630
View this thread: http://forums.opensuse.org/showthread.php?t=385781

0
sosmad
11/18/2008 5:46:04 PM
[QUOTE=sosmad]
Thanks for your help, but, like I said, I'm a complete NOOB, and....:P

How do you open a console?  (I'm using OpenSuSe 11)
[/QUOTE]
Hi
Make sure the file you downloaded is in you home directory and not
on the desktop.

Press alt+F2 and at the command run gnome-terminal if
you using Gnome if using KDE enter konsole, then hit the run button. At
the console that opens;
[CODE]
cd <press enter>
ls  boinc* <press enter>

You should see the file listed like;
malcolml@kermit-opensuse:~$ ls boinc*
boinc_6.2.15_i686-pc-linux-gnu.sh

Now run the command;
sh boinc_6.2.15_i686-pc-linux-gnu.sh <press enter>

Then to run the following should work;
~/BOINC/run_manager <press enter>
[/CODE]

--
Cheers Malcolm ��� (Linux Counter #276890)
openSUSE 11.0 x86 Kernel 2.6.25.18-0.2-default
up 1 day 1:14, 3 users, load average: 0.07, 0.07, 0.13
GPU GeForce 6600 TE/6200 TE - Driver Version: 177.82

0
Malcolm
11/18/2008 5:52:43 PM
Did I mention I was using Gnome, not Kde4?
Can you open a console in Gnome?

--
sosmad
sosmad's Profile: http://forums.opensuse.org/member.php?userid=15630
View this thread: http://forums.opensuse.org/showthread.php?t=385781

0
sosmad
11/18/2008 7:06:02 PM
> Can you open a console in Gnome?of course you can. it's also known as a terminal

Andy

--
To be is to do = Immanuel Kant
To do is to be = Descartes.

SuSE user since 7.0,Linux user since 1994
deltaflyer44's Profile: http://forums.opensuse.org/member.php?userid=95
View this thread: http://forums.opensuse.org/showthread.php?t=385781

0
deltaflyer44
11/18/2008 7:16:01 PM
0
ab
11/18/2008 7:16:17 PM
0
ab
11/18/2008 7:17:46 PM
> Can't I save the shell file to my Desktop on Gnome? Yes you can,but, when you install/run the file,it will put all the files
on the desk-top. best bet is to make a file in your home directory &
save it/run it from  there

Andy

--
To be is to do = Immanuel Kant
To do is to be = Descartes.
Do be do be do = Frank Sinatra

SuSE user since 7.0,Linux user since 1994
deltaflyer44's Profile: http://forums.opensuse.org/member.php?userid=95
View this thread: http://forums.opensuse.org/showthread.php?t=385781

0
deltaflyer44

--------------------

--
sosmad
sosmad's Profile: http://forums.opensuse.org/member.php?userid=15630
View this thread: http://forums.opensuse.org/showthread.php?t=385781

0
sosmad
11/18/2008 8:16:02 PM
Ok, I got it to work!!!  YAY!  Thanks, guys!

ONE Final project/question:

How do I get BOINC to start automatically during startup?

--
sosmad
sosmad's Profile: http://forums.opensuse.org/member.php?userid=15630
View this thread: http://forums.opensuse.org/showthread.php?t=385781

0
sosmad
11/18/2008 8:56:01 PM
HI, I DON'T KNOW IF I POSTED THIS, BUT THANKS TO EVERYONE FOR HELPING ME
TO GET THIS THING TO RUN!;)

NOW! :|

FINAL PROJECT: CAN ANYONE HELP ME AUTOMATE THIS SO THAT BOINC STARTS UP
-WITH- THE COMPUTER?

Thanks in advance,:)
sosmad

--
sosmad
sosmad's Profile: http://forums.opensuse.org/member.php?userid=15630
View this thread: http://forums.opensuse.org/showthread.php?t=385781

0
sosmad
11/18/2008 9:26:02 PM
[QUOTE=sosmad]
HI, I DON'T KNOW IF I POSTED THIS, BUT THANKS TO EVERYONE FOR HELPING ME
TO GET THIS THING TO RUN!;)

NOW! :|

FINAL PROJECT: CAN ANYONE HELP ME AUTOMATE THIS SO THAT BOINC STARTS UP
-WITH- THE COMPUTER?

Thanks in advance,:)
sosmad
[/QUOTE]
Hi
If you open the control center (from the menu) there is an option
called "sessions" look in there and you can add a program in there to
start automatically when you login.

--
Cheers Malcolm ��� (Linux Counter #276890)
openSUSE 11.0 x86 Kernel 2.6.25.18-0.2-default
up 1 day 6:13, 2 users, load average: 0.10, 0.10, 0.16
GPU GeForce 6600 TE/6200 TE - Driver Version: 177.82

0
Malcolm
11/18/2008 10:43:52 PM
0
ab
11/19/2008 2:42:24 AM
I have installed the BOINC client and gui via the openSUSE repo.  If I
run boincmgr the gui loads up nicely.  However, when I try to connect to
one of my projects I get the following error:

Code:
--------------------
    connect: Connection refused
  execvp(/home/msnyder/boinc, --redirectio, --launched_by_manager) failed with error 2!
--------------------

Anyone know what to do to get past this?

--
theillien
theillien's Profile: http://forums.opensuse.org/member.php?userid=798
View this thread: http://forums.opensuse.org/showthread.php?t=385781

0
theillien
3/11/2009 10:56:01 PM
Where did you get this app?  You get newer versions at berkeley.edu, but
might have better luck with searching webpin for a suse .rpm and
installing that.

Did it ever work for you?  Sounds like a bad install.  The only problem
I have is that the autostart refuses to connect to localhost.  I have to
manually restart it on every reboot.

--
If your gecko is broken, you have a reptile dysfunction.:eek:
Prexy's Profile: http://forums.opensuse.org/member.php?userid=233
View this thread: http://forums.opensuse.org/showthread.php?t=385781

0
Prexy
3/12/2009 3:36:01 AM
Initially I installed from the standard 11.1 repo at
download.opensuse.org.  However, using webpin I found a newer version at
'widehat.opensuse.org' (http://tinyurl.com/dcnt6v).  I installed this,
ran boincmgr and encountered the same error.

--
theillien
theillien's Profile: http://forums.opensuse.org/member.php?userid=798
View this thread: http://forums.opensuse.org/showthread.php?t=385781

0
theillien
3/12/2009 4:26:03 AM
I did this awhile ago, so I hope my memory serves :-)

Instead of running boincmgr, use run_manager.  It has to be run from
the BOINC directory.  I had the devil of a time getting it to run from
an icon on my desktop.

Let us know if this works.

--
If your gecko is broken, you have a reptile dysfunction.:eek:
Prexy's Profile: http://forums.opensuse.org/member.php?userid=233
View this thread: http://forums.opensuse.org/showthread.php?t=385781

0
Prexy
3/13/2009 3:46:09 PM
New direction:

what version of boinc are you running and where did you get it?

Also, is it running problem free? Which desktop?

--
If your gecko is broken, you have a reptile dysfunction.:eek:
Prexy's Profile: http://forums.opensuse.org/member.php?userid=233
View this thread: http://forums.opensuse.org/showthread.php?t=385781

0
Prexy
3/30/2009 4:26:01 AM
The version in the repos (6.2.18-2.20.1) doesn't work.  The version I
downloaded from the boinc website does.  My problem with it is that I
can't easily minimize it to the tray.

--
theillien
theillien's Profile: http://forums.opensuse.org/member.php?userid=798
View this thread: http://forums.opensuse.org/showthread.php?t=385781

0
theillien
4/4/2009 1:16:01 AM
Prexy wrote:

> I did this awhile ago, so I hope my memory serves :-)
>
> Instead of running boincmgr, use run_manager.  It has to be run from
> the BOINC directory.  I had the devil of a time getting it to run from
> an icon on my desktop.
>
> Let us know if this works.

I've got the same problem. I'm running 11.1 and KDE 4.2.2. BOINC was
installed from OpenSUSE repository using YAST and is version 6.2.18.

What's run_manager? I can't find any such command. And, if I could, for the
BOINC directory, do you mean /usr/bin/?

--
Graham P Davis, Bracknell, Berks., UK.  E-mail: newsman not newsboy

0
Graham
4/4/2009 5:09:46 PM
Prexy wrote:>
> I've got the same problem. I'm running 11.1 and KDE 4.2.2. BOINC was
> installed from OpenSUSE repository using YAST and is version 6.2.18.
>
> What's run_manager? I can't find any such command. And, if I could, for
> the
> BOINC directory, do you mean /usr/bin/?

run_manager is the command used when you're running the boinc client
downloaded from 'the Boinc website'
(http://boinc.berkeley.edu/download.php).  It will be a tar.gz file
which, when untarred, will create a BOINC directory.  This is the one I
have and am able to run however, I don't typically because I'm working
out how to minimize to the tray.  I suppose I could use AllTray but I'd
like to find a better way that doesn't involve third-party utilities.

--
theillien
theillien's Profile: http://forums.opensuse.org/member.php?userid=798
View this thread: http://forums.opensuse.org/showthread.php?t=385781

0
theillien
4/4/2009 5:56:01 PM
I've given up on the repo version.  I installed the tried and true
AllTray and use it to run the version of the BOINC client downloaded
from boinc.com.  I now have it running in my system tray as I have in
the past.  It connects to the servers just fine, runs the tasks just
fine and does everything it is supposed to do just fine.

In the future I'll be ignoring the version in the repos like the
plague.

--
theillien
theillien's Profile: http://forums.opensuse.org/member.php?userid=798
View this thread: http://forums.opensuse.org/showthread.php?t=385781

0
theillien
4/7/2009 6:26:04 AM
I've been away and now have to devote some time to the boinc problem;)
For the first time, it renders my pc unusable.  The mouse and keyboard
have stuttering and delays.  It generally runs slowly.  Worst of all,
the application doesn't run properly.  I ran it for 8 hours, by itself,
and got less than two minutes of cpu time and 1% completed.  I'm marking
this up to a problem with plasma.

--
If your gecko is broken, you have a reptile dysfunction.:eek:
Prexy's Profile: http://forums.opensuse.org/member.php?userid=233
View this thread: http://forums.opensuse.org/showthread.php?t=385781

0
Prexy
4/8/2009 11:16:01 PM
I'm experiencing some troubles with boinc and 12.1, it seems the
classical problem of the manager working but no way to open the client,
nor to connect them.

Tried both from repos and by downloading the sh from boinc site.

12.1 rc2 x64.

--
akd110
akd110's Profile: http://forums.opensuse.org/member.php?userid=62946
View this thread: http://forums.opensuse.org/showthread.php?t=385781

0
akd110
11/5/2011 12:36:03 PM
IMO the easiest way is to:
1. get the software from binc.berkeley.edu
2. extract it to a directory of your choice
3. use a init-script (found on the net) to run BOINC at System-Startup.
(in the script just modify the BOINC_DIR and BOINC_USER variables to fit
your tastes)
4. On the desktop:
A. create a shortcut to a programm using "/<boinc_dir>/run_manager" as
the command (<boinc_dir> the directory of your choice)
B. Working directory set to "/<boinc_dir>"

This is, at least, what's been working for me since February. No major
problems, except for some minor trouble with CUDA when switching
kernels, but that has cleared itself up. (atm running BOINC 6.10.58,
wxWidgets 2.8.7 on OS 11.4 x64 C2D E6750 @ 2.8GHz, MSI N210D512D2H for
GPGPU).

The main minor problem is the refusal of some EINSTEIN@Home GPU-tasks
repeatedly restarting themselves when they have not reached 1% of
completion - which sometimes leads to an abort because of computational
errors.

--
Aquinox
Aquinox's Profile: http://forums.opensuse.org/member.php?userid=49496
View this thread: http://forums.opensuse.org/showthread.php?t=385781

0
Aquinox
11/5/2011 5:46:02 PM
I often do a zypper up.  A recent update cured the problem before I
found out what it was! Using 6.10.58 and its chugging right along

--
Any sufficiently advanced technology is indistinguishable from magic. -
Arthur C. Clarke
Prexy's Profile: http://forums.opensuse.org/member.php?userid=233
View this thread: http://forums.opensuse.org/showthread.php?t=385781

0
Prexy
11/6/2011 5:26:02 AM
@akd110

Which way did you try to run BOINC from the extracted sh?
What's the output if you execute "run_client" in the shell?

I can't agree to your problem being classical, at least not from my
experience.
For me it was the other way around - the client working, but a heck of
a job to get the manager working.

Just today I've downloaded 6.12.34 x86_64 and extracted it over the old
one (6.10.58).
Executing "run_client" in the shell worked fine up to a warning of
missing version information of "/usr/lib64/libcurl.so.4".
But for the manager I had to install openssl 0.9.8, and
libwx_gtk2u_richtext-2_8-0-wxcontainer before it worked.

Currently running the same config as in my previous post except for the
BOINC version, now being 6.12.34 x86_64-pc-linux-gnu

--
Aquinox
Aquinox's Profile: http://forums.opensuse.org/member.php?userid=49496
View this thread: http://forums.opensuse.org/showthread.php?t=385781

0
Aquinox
11/6/2011 5:46:03 PM
Thanks to all, boinc addicts! ;)

Let's make it more clear:

First I tryed the repo version: it installs perfectly, but when I clic
on boinc icon in Applications (which is called boinc manager, not just
boinc) nothing happens. Better, I find myself with a clear view of the
desktop but no sign of boinc in the task bar or whatever.

After uninstalling the repo boinc, I downloaded the sh file from boinc
official site. Using sh boincversion.sh he creates a folder in /home
called BOINC. Once, some years ago on ubuntu I did the same thing, but
after clicking onto boinc_manager (the "core", right?) I get asked how
to manage that file (you know, execute, in terminal, ecc). Probably it
loads the manager, don't know how to check (didn't remember to see boinc
process in system manager though).
Then I click boinc_client. I get asked the same "what do you want to
do" as before, but nothing happens if I click in open in terminal or
even just open.

Result: no boinc for now, since I can't get it working.

--
akd110
akd110's Profile: http://forums.opensuse.org/member.php?userid=62946
View this thread: http://forums.opensuse.org/showthread.php?t=385781

0
akd110
11/6/2011 6:06:02 PM
Trying to shake out the cobwebs ;) .....   There was a simple answer to
this problem.... I think :\

The file "boinc_manager" needs to be modified.  It resides in the
/BOINC directory.  It is one line long.  You must add a line so it reads
like this:
> #! /bin/bash
> cd "/home/prexy/BOINC" && exec ./boincmgr $@
>

> Of course, substitute your name for "prexy."  By merely adding the first
line, boinc will run from an icon.  Don't remember if you have to point
the icon to "run_manager" but that's easy enough.

--
Any sufficiently advanced technology is indistinguishable from magic. -
Arthur C. Clarke
Prexy's Profile: http://forums.opensuse.org/member.php?userid=233
View this thread: http://forums.opensuse.org/showthread.php?t=385781

0
Prexy
11/6/2011 6:36:05 PM
Thanks for your help!

Ok, let's start:

I added the first line of your code both to the file run_manager and
run_client. This made the run_client open a terminal and start boinc in
there. Good, first step: doing that before, on the sh installation, did
nothing.
If I click on run_manager, after been asked how to open it, it's
exactly the same as before.

I attach a screenshot to show both files and the BOINC folder.

'[image:
http://img846.imageshack.us/img846/5102/schermatadel20111106222.th.png]'
(http://imageshack.us/photo/my-images/846/schermatadel20111106222.png/)

Uploaded with 'ImageShack.us' (http://imageshack.us)

--
akd110
akd110's Profile: http://forums.opensuse.org/member.php?userid=62946
View this thread: http://forums.opensuse.org/showthread.php?t=385781

0
akd110
11/6/2011 8:36:03 PM
Wait a minute.

IMO you're going way too complicated for it all!

If you click on the BOINC icon when installing it from some repo you
are actually starting the manager (if I'm not mistaken).
If it does not start (you see nothing new) there is, most probably, a
missing library for wxWidgets or sth like that.

If you take BOINC from the official sh files (currently
boinc_6.12.34_x86_64-pc-linux-gnu.sh) you won't get stuff to work by
clicking on it!

Instead try this:
1. Open a shell (Terminal) and cd to your BOINC/ directory.
2. Run
Code:
--------------------
    ls -la
--------------------
 and look for the files run_client, boinc, run_manager the permissons on
the left should be sth linke this: "-rwxr-xr-x"
3. Issue following in the BOINC directory in the shell (where you
should still be after steps 1 & 2):

Code:
--------------------
    ./run_client
--------------------

4. Open a new shell, cd again to the BOINC directory and issue the
command

Code:
--------------------
    ./run_manager
--------------------

Post the results of 3 & 4 here.

--
Aquinox
Aquinox's Profile: http://forums.opensuse.org/member.php?userid=49496
View this thread: http://forums.opensuse.org/showthread.php?t=385781

0
Aquinox
11/6/2011 9:36:02 PM
I would be glad if I was doing things too complicated, but I'm not sure
they are easy... :)

Anyway, first of all thank you for your help, and here are results you
requested:

Permissions:

Code:
--------------------
    -rwxr-xr-x  1 akd users 1873824 28 lug 22.15 boinc
  -rwxr-xr-x  1 akd users  216304 28 lug 22.15 boinccmd
  -rwxr-xr-x  1 akd users 3015712 28 lug 22.15 boincmgr
  drwxrwx--x  2 akd users    4096  6 nov 22.19 notices
  -rwxr-xr-x  1 akd users      53  6 nov 22.19 run_client
  -rwxr-xr-x  1 akd users      40  6 nov 22.18 run_client~
  -rwxr-xr-x  1 akd users      56  6 nov 22.19 run_manager
  -rwxr-xr-x  1 akd users      43  6 nov 22.18 run_manager~

--------------------

Run client:

Code:
--------------------
    akd@linux-te2d:~/BOINC> ./run_client
  ./boinc: /usr/lib64/libcurl.so.4: no version information available (required by ./boinc)
  07-Nov-2011 22:40:28 [---] Starting BOINC client version 6.12.34 for x86_64-pc-linux-gnu
  07-Nov-2011 22:40:28 [---] log flags: file_xfer, sched_ops, task
  07-Nov-2011 22:40:28 [---] Libraries: libcurl/7.22.0 OpenSSL/1.0.0e zlib/1.2.5 c-ares/1.7.5 libidn/1.22 libssh2/1.2.9
  07-Nov-2011 22:40:28 [---] Data directory: /home/akd/BOINC
  getaddrinfo: Success
  07-Nov-2011 22:40:28 [---] Processor: 4 AuthenticAMD AMD Phenom(tm) II X4 905e Processor [Family 16 Model 4 Stepping 2]
  07-Nov-2011 22:40:28 [---] Processor: 512.00 KB cache
  07-Nov-2011 22:40:28 [---] Processor features: fpu vme de pse tsc msr pae mce cx8 apic sep mtrr pge mca cmov pat pse36 clflush mmx fxsr sse sse2 ht syscall nx mmxext fxsr_opt pdpe1gb rdtscp lm 3dnowext 3dnow constant_tsc rep_good nopl nonstop_tsc extd_apicid pni monitor cx16 popcnt lahf_lm cm
  07-Nov-2011 22:40:28 [---] OS: Linux: 3.1.0-1.1-desktop
  07-Nov-2011 22:40:28 [---] Memory: 3.86 GB physical, 3.99 GB virtual
  07-Nov-2011 22:40:28 [---] Disk: 205.61 GB total, 204.16 GB free
  07-Nov-2011 22:40:28 [---] Local time is UTC +1 hours
  07-Nov-2011 22:40:28 [---] No usable GPUs found
  07-Nov-2011 22:40:28 [---] No general preferences found - using BOINC defaults
  07-Nov-2011 22:40:28 [---] Preferences:
  07-Nov-2011 22:40:28 [---]    max memory usage when active: 1976.05MB
  07-Nov-2011 22:40:28 [---]    max memory usage when idle: 3556.89MB
  07-Nov-2011 22:40:28 [---]    max disk usage: 10.00GB
  07-Nov-2011 22:40:28 [---]    don't use GPU while active
  07-Nov-2011 22:40:28 [---]    suspend work if non-BOINC CPU load exceeds 25 %
  07-Nov-2011 22:40:28 [---]    (to change preferences, visit the web site of an attached project, or select Preferences in the Manager)
  07-Nov-2011 22:40:28 [---] Not using a proxy
  07-Nov-2011 22:40:28 [---] This computer is not attached to any projects
  07-Nov-2011 22:40:28 [---] Visit http://boinc.berkeley.edu for instructions
  Initialization completed

--------------------

If I do nothing for a while, it disconnects apparently.

Run manager (in a new tab since as you see in the first I have no
chance to write anything more):

Code:
--------------------
    ./run_manager
  ./boincmgr: error while loading shared libraries: libnotify.so.1: cannot open shared object file: No such file or directory

--------------------

--
akd110
akd110's Profile: http://forums.opensuse.org/member.php?userid=62946
View this thread: http://forums.opensuse.org/showthread.php?t=385781

0
akd110
11/7/2011 8:46:04 PM
Looks like good news!

Looks like your client is working just fine. Theoretically you could
configure it on the whole using boinccmd in the BOINC directory, but
that is some job, and IMO not really comfortable for afterwards.

You've got the standard-problem with missing libraries w.r.t. the
manager. However, there's good news waiting for you there.

Open YAST>Software management and search for "libnotify".

For me I've got libnotify-tools, libnotify1 installed (python-notify
too, but I think that is b/c I'm writing numerical scripts with
python).
Furthermore a good idea would be to install the packages including the
libraries from my earlier post (openssl 0.9.8 & libwx-...)

And the just keep repeating:
A. ./run_manager and look for the missing library (e.g.
libnotify.so.1)
B. YAST>Software Management and search for whatever comes up when doing
step A up to the .so*  (in this case libnotify )
C. Install the most likely packet which comes up in B.

Note for step C: I mostly looked first at the name, then (if not sure)
at the version. Because regrettably you can't see the File listing until
it's installed.

After some loops over steps A-C you should be able to start the
manager. If I remember correctly it was some 6-8 times for me until I
had all the libraries in place.

Good luck and good endurance ;-)

--
Aquinox
Aquinox's Profile: http://forums.opensuse.org/member.php?userid=49496
View this thread: http://forums.opensuse.org/showthread.php?t=385781

0
Aquinox
11/7/2011 9:56:03 PM
Thank you very much, but I couldn't go much further...

At the first check, searching in Software Management for "libnotify", I
saw that the same files as you were already installed: I tryed to add
libnotify4-32bit, since it's the only file that has not the word
"developer" in it, but nothing chanced: the run_manager complains he
still wants libnotify.so.1 ...

By the way, why do you have libnotify1 and I have libnotify4 in all
files, except the devel ones?

--
akd110
akd110's Profile: http://forums.opensuse.org/member.php?userid=62946
View this thread: http://forums.opensuse.org/showthread.php?t=385781

0
akd110
11/8/2011 8:56:03 PM
What Repositories are you using.
I've checked my for libnotify1 (in YaST) and the installation includes
/usr/lib64/libnotify.so.1
Installed version 0.6.0-2.1-x86_64 from openSUSE-11.4-Oss.

You should not need the 32bit versions, as I recall you using OS 12.1
rc2 x86_64.

If you don't want to mess too much with your repos just try using
software.opensuse.org instead of the YaST search.

--
Aquinox
Aquinox's Profile: http://forums.opensuse.org/member.php?userid=49496
View this thread: http://forums.opensuse.org/showthread.php?t=385781

0
Aquinox
11/8/2011 9:56:03 PM
I Installed the final 12.1 version now, but still the same problem.
Repos are default ones...

--
akd110
akd110's Profile: http://forums.opensuse.org/member.php?userid=62946
View this thread: http://forums.opensuse.org/showthread.php?t=385781

0
akd110
11/18/2011 6:16:02 PM
I've been having the same problem and worked on it this morning since
upgrading to 12.1.  There are two things with the Yast distro.

1. If you want boinc to start when you reboot the system, you need to
change the shell on the boinc user to be bash (or something other than
nologin).  This will allow you to enable the service in System Services.
If you don't, the service will fail.

2. In order to get the boinc manager to work, you need to change the
permissions on the /var/lib/boinc directory.  Make sure it is owned by
boinc/boinc and set permissions to be global read/write and check the
box to apply to all directories.  It would probably work if you make
your user ID part of the boinc group and allow group read/write, but i
did not experiment with that.

Hope this helps

--
EagleSB
EagleSB's Profile: http://forums.opensuse.org/member.php?userid=63411
View this thread: http://forums.opensuse.org/showthread.php?t=385781

0
EagleSB
11/19/2011 5:56:03 PM
Forgot one other thing.

3. You need to go into /usr/bin and rename boinc_gui to boinc-gui/

--
EagleSB
EagleSB's Profile: http://forums.opensuse.org/member.php?userid=63411
View this thread: http://forums.opensuse.org/showthread.php?t=385781

0
EagleSB
11/19/2011 6:26:03 PM
@akd110

Ok. I've tried pretty much the same that you did. I had to install a
"backup" system on an external drive for my laptop (crashed HDD :,-[ )
and have made it 12.1 x64
So I tried to get BOINC running there and have found the following:

1. libnotify1 does not exist for 12.1, but the version for 11.4
downloaded as RPM and installed by "rpm -i <...>" seems to work.
2. All libwx_gtk2u_<...> libraries have to be installed in the
-"<...>wxcontainer" version to work.
The list of libraries I had to install:
libwx_gtk2u_richtext-2_8-0-wxcontainer
libwx_gtk2u_aui-2_8-0-wxcontainer
libwx_gtk2u_xrc-2_8-0-wxcontainer
libwx_gtk2u_qa-2_8-0-wxcontainer
libwx_baseu_net-2_8-0-wxcontainer
libopenssl0_9_8

As far as I can see it starts the manager up.

NOTE:
I have additionally installed the 'compat' libraries, although I do not
think it matters.
Furthermore although I started the manager and client I did not run any
WU's as the current config of the laptop is slow due to running off a
USB HDD.

Try this and see what happens. ;)

--
Aquinox
Aquinox's Profile: http://forums.opensuse.org/member.php?userid=49496
View this thread: http://forums.opensuse.org/showthread.php?t=385781

0
Aquinox
11/19/2011 6:46:03 PM
hi,
you need to install:
libwx_gtk2u_html
libwx_gtk2u_adv
libwx_baseu_net
then it will work

tested 6.10.58, 6.12.34, 7.0.2 all x64

--
libor_jilek
libor_jilek's Profile: http://forums.opensuse.org/member.php?userid=64655
View this thread: http://forums.opensuse.org/showthread.php?t=385781

0
libor

Help Help Help Help Help Help

HELP!HELP!HELP!HELP!HELP!HELP!

Help with a Help application
 HelloI am looking for an application that can be integrated with my ASP.NET application to provide context sensitive help. When users navigate to different pages and click on the help icon, they should be able to see the help for the page they are on. The help text will be manually entered by a team that is not technically inclined.Currently, we have ASPX/HTML pages that holds the help information and link it from the header that has the help icon.Please let me know which products I can look at.Thanks! what I did: I put an help button on my masterpage....Javascript code on the maste...

Help Help Help Help

help help help help

I want to prepare help document for my web application like microsoft applications help?
I want to prepare help document for my web application like microsoft applications help? Is there a tool for building help pages ? Thanks There's a program called HTML Help workshop you can use... It's free but in my humble opinion it sucks... you may want to take a look at it anyway: http://www.microsoft.com/downloads/details.aspx?FamilyID=00535334-c8a6-452f-9aa0-d597d16580cc&displaylang=en Hope it helps...

HELP!!!HELP!!!HELP!!!
I try set picture to database and import it to picture control. Why SetPicture funktio dosen�t work? blob b, tot_b integer li_FileNum, loops, i, ret long flen, bytes_read, new_pos string txtname, named string defext = "BMP", Filter = "bitmap Files (*.bmp), *.bmp" ret = GetFileOpenName("Open Bitmap", txtname, named, defext, filter) SetPointer(HourGlass!) flen = FileLength(txtname) li_FileNum = FileOpen(txtname, StreamMode!, Read!, LockRead!) IF flen > 32765 THEN IF Mod(flen, 32765) = 0 THEN loops = flen/32765 ELSE loops = (flen/32765...

HELP HELP HELP
i need help, i use an dbmaker 3.0 server and now i want to use an client to go on it but i dont have an client(i have dbmaker 3.6 but it don't work) who can help me with the dbmaker 3.0 client (tools,files,drivers) email me kelly.kloen@siteways.nl ...

HELP HELP HELP
I need EAS 3.0.1 mantainance as soon as possible or at least an updated datawindow.jar. I've already asked the mantainance CD to italian Sybase support but they know nothing about it. If someone from sybase could send me an updated datawindow.jar would be very very appreciated. Please email me to m.mazza@ads.it Thank you Mauro Mazza Research & Develop - Gruppo FINMATICA E-mail: m.mazza@ads.it http://www.ads.it ADS automated data systems - Data Processing S.p.A. Via Del Lavoro, 17 40127 Bologna - Italy tel. +39 051 6307 411 fax. +39 051 6307 498 We expect t...

help help help
i wanna know the list of compite time errors related to code correction/programming errors in powerbuilder.thanks lot cenk That's a pretty big request. You want a list of everything it is possible to do wrong in PowerBuilder? What you might want to do is search the solved cases infobase on the Sybase web site. On Tue, 15 Jun 1999 11:50:32 +0300, in powersoft.public.powerbuilder.general cenk KIZILDAG <cenk1536@yahoo.com> wrote: >i wanna know the list of compite time errors related to code >correction/programming errors in powerbuilder.thanks lot > >c...

HELP, HELP, HELP!!!!
can't Install dbd for postgreSQL someboy can help, Me How about some code. Do you have the DBD::pg installed? Send in you code so we can help. Ilya Sterin -----Original Message----- From: aguztyn@cancun.com.mx [mailto:aguztyn@cancun.com.mx] Sent: Monday, April 02, 2001 4:45 PM To: dbi-users@perl.org Subject: HELP, HELP, HELP!!!! can't Install dbd for postgreSQL someboy can help, Me ...

help! help! help!
I got such errors while installing a new replication server,please help me !Thanks a lot. T. 2003/05/29 14:21:24. (-1): Hardware Exception: c0000005, EXCEPTION_ACCESS_VIOLATION T. 2003/05/29 14:21:24. (-1): Thread GLOBAL RS(GLOBAL RS) infected with signal -1073741819 T. 2003/05/29 14:21:24. (-1): ***************STACK TRACE*************** T. 2003/05/29 14:21:24. (-1): *****thread GLOBAL RS(GLOBAL RS)******* T. 2003/05/29 14:21:24. (-1): unknown function 0x0038c559 () T. 2003/05/29 14:21:24. (-1): unknown function 0x0038bb65 () T. 2003/05/29 14:21:24. (-1): pc: 0x00468934, err_h...

help help help
Name: bryon Email: bryonbattampabaydotrrdotcom Product: Thunderbird Summary: help help help Comments: why can't i go into the address book and create a new contact with all the information. the screen does not scroll down to the phone numbers section to allow me to enter it, this is with a few of the application that wont allow me to scroll down and finish inserting information needed. please help Browser Details: Mozilla/5.0 (X11; U; Linux i686; en-US; rv:1.8.1.9) Gecko/20071025 Firefox/2.0.0.9 ...

Help!help!help!
Whether can I set a window to be unmoveable when the application is run,whatever the window is normal or max when it's running?If it may be set,how.... ...

help!help!help!
Sorry to re-post again, Hi, Dean : 1. Are you dialing an ISP or dialing modem pool in side the company? I am dailing an ISP. Because some of my client use this way. 2. Is the Jag server behind a firewall? No, there is no Firwall. 3. Do you have a proxy for the remote component? Yes. 4. What is the syntax of createinstance? ls_class = "p_packagename/n_cst_logon" if not isvalid(inv_logon) then ll_return = g_connect.CreateInstance(inv_logon,ls_class) if ll_return <> 0 then ls_return = ...

Web resources about - BOINC - opensuse.org.help.applications

File:BOINC logo July 2007.svg - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia
Permission is granted to copy, distribute and/or modify this document under the terms of the GNU Free Documentation License , Version 1.2 or ...

New Android apps worth downloading: CallSnap, BOINC, The Walking Dead: Assault
... calling you, making it easy to explain why it's too loud during a concert or you're in the middle of a game to take a call. Up next is BOINC, ...

Donate your Android device's processing power to science with BOINC
... project but lack the PhD credentials, there's now a much simpler way: all you need is a decent Android device and a new app called BOINC. Similar ...

Beyond Oblivion reveals its Boinc music service
... start-up that counts News Corp among its backers, is preparing for launch of its unlimited service later this year under the brand name Boinc. ...

BOINC
BOINC is a software platform for distributed computing using volunteered computer resources. Many different projects can use BOINC....

Products - CrunchBase
Product profiles

THE HOLLIES - BUS STOP (1966-live) - Legendado - YouTube
Bus stop, wet day, she's there I say Please share my umbrella Bus stop, bus go, she stays love grows Under my umbrella All that summer we enjoyed ...

Ben Segal's Home Page
. Date: July 28, 2011 To begin with, here's a photo: I'm British, married to Christiane Segal (a sculptor) and have two sons, Adam Segal (b.1969, ...

Videos, Consultants, Fake Steve Jobs. How Beyond Oblivion Burned $32 Million Without Paying For a Single ...
... Web site), didn’t lose any money on this year’s CES show. Kidron planned to hire models to walk the CES show floor with the words “wanna boinc” ...

HTC Posts Full Source Code For "Power To Give" App And Associated BOINC Server
If you're a fan of source code (and who isn't?), you might be excited to know HTC has released the code for Power To Give. The Power To Give ...