apt-get: Command not found!

Heys, I'm new to Suse, and im trying to install and fix a program trough
the console, was going to go "sudo apt-get install build-essentials"
But then the terminal said Apt-get:command not found, and then ive
started to wonder, why does my Suse OS not have apt-get command
installed by default?
thats question number one, and number two is, how do i get it?

Thanks :)
//SpiderPig.

--
SpiderPig

SpiderPig

[QUOTE=SpiderPig]
Heys, I'm new to Suse, and im trying to install and fix a program trough
the console, was going to go "sudo apt-get install build-essentials"
But then the terminal said Apt-get:command not found, and then ive
started to wonder, why does my Suse OS not have apt-get command
installed by default?
thats question number one, and number two is, how do i get it?

Thanks :)
//SpiderPig.
[/QUOTE]
Hi
openSUSE doesn't use apt-get (it is available I think??), it uses the
zypper command. In this case you could select the base development
patterns;
[CODE]
sudo zypper in -t pattern devel_basis
[/CODE]

Use the se option to see the full list,
[CODE]
zypper se -t pattern
[/CODE]

There are many more, see the man page :)

--
Cheers Malcolm ��� (Linux Counter #276890)
openSUSE 11.1 x86 Kernel 2.6.27.7-4-default

0
Malcolm
12/14/2008 2:39:04 AM
SpiderPig;1907781 Wrote:
> ... im trying to install and fix a program trough the console, was going
> to go "sudo apt-get install build-essentials"
> But then the terminal said Apt-get:command not found, and then ive
> started to wonder, why does my Suse OS not have apt-get command
> installed by default?
openSUSE has zypper instead:
'Zypper/Usage/11.0 - openSUSE' (http://en.opensuse.org/Zypper/Usage)

Some openSUSE basic concepts:
'Concepts - openSUSE' (http://en.opensuse.org/Concepts)

--
oldcpu
oldcpu's Profile: http://forums.opensuse.org/member.php?userid=77

0
oldcpu
12/14/2008 2:46:02 AM
I tried that but on my Ubuntu machine it said:

> bash: zypper: command not found

Oh dear, what's wrong? ;););)

PS: It's a joke, ok?

--
ken_yap
ken_yap's Profile: http://forums.opensuse.org/member.php?userid=221
View this thread: http://forums.opensuse.org/showthread.php?t=401662

0
ken
12/14/2008 7:26:01 AM
ken_yap;1907871 Wrote:
> I tried that but on my Ubuntu machine it said:
>

> Oh dear, what's wrong? ;););)
>
> PS: It's a joke, ok?
>
> PPS: Actually I do now and then make the mistake of typing yum at
> OpenSUSE or rug at RHEL or any of a number of wrong combinations.

YaY!
You made my day.lol!

--
*People who do not break things first will never learn to create
anything*
View this thread: http://forums.opensuse.org/showthread.php?t=401662

0
conram
12/14/2008 7:36:01 AM
BTW, I do have something useful to post, come to think of it.
Distrowatch recently published a cheatsheet summarising the commands for
all the major (and some minor) package managers. You can find it at

'DistroWatch.com: Put the fun back into computing. Use Linux, BSD.'
(http://distrowatch.com/weekly.php?issue=20081013#feature)

--
ken_yap
ken_yap's Profile: http://forums.opensuse.org/member.php?userid=221
View this thread: http://forums.opensuse.org/showthread.php?t=401662

0
ken
12/14/2008 7:46:01 AM
Thanks for the help guys!!!rotfl!

--
SpiderPig
SpiderPig's Profile: http://forums.opensuse.org/member.php?userid=17046
View this thread: http://forums.opensuse.org/showthread.php?t=401662

0
SpiderPig

help help help with getting started
I have a simple page with this code: <%@ Page Language="vb" Debug="true" %> <%@ import Namespace="System.Data" %> <%@ import Namespace="System.Data.SQLClient" %> <script runat="server"> sub Page_load(Sender As Object, E As EventArgs) if not ispostback then 'create connection Dim Conn As SqlConnection = New SqlConnection 'create data adapter Dim dataAdapter As SqlDataAdapter = New SqlDataAdapter 'create dataset Dim dataview...

Help Help Help Help Help Help

HELP!HELP!HELP!HELP!HELP!HELP!

Help with a Help application
 HelloI am looking for an application that can be integrated with my ASP.NET application to provide context sensitive help. When users navigate to different pages and click on the help icon, they should be able to see the help for the page they are on. The help text will be manually entered by a team that is not technically inclined.Currently, we have ASPX/HTML pages that holds the help information and link it from the header that has the help icon.Please let me know which products I can look at.Thanks! what I did: I put an help button on my masterpage....Javascript code on the maste...

Help Help Help Help

help help help help

Help with apt-get plz
Well, after six good months and a series of small bumps, my father, 3200 miles away, finally broke something using apt-get (actually kpackage). He used kpackage on his installed Knoppix 3.7 (PC-Welt) to update and then to attempt to install flashplayer-nonfree to his system. Unfortunately, during the install he came upon several questions provided by the install script and not knowing what to do (or doing something incoherent) he managed to get kpackage to show it as installed, but it wasn't complete. I went through the same process of installing flashplayer-nonfree myself, ...

I want to prepare help document for my web application like microsoft applications help?
I want to prepare help document for my web application like microsoft applications help? Is there a tool for building help pages ? Thanks There's a program called HTML Help workshop you can use... It's free but in my humble opinion it sucks... you may want to take a look at it anyway: http://www.microsoft.com/downloads/details.aspx?FamilyID=00535334-c8a6-452f-9aa0-d597d16580cc&displaylang=en Hope it helps...

I get "no command found"
When I run command line perl (Unix or DOS) something gives me errors (several times) as if perl is trying to send something to the shell command line. Alternatively, it expects further input and I hit either ^Z or ^D, but it doesn't do anything. Since this is happening both on DOS and Unix, it must be my mistake. For example perl -pe 'print "goat \n" ' (expects input here) -- - = - Vasos Panagiotopoulos, Columbia'81+, Reagan, Mozart, Pindus, BioStrategist http://ourworld.compuserve.com/homepages/vjp2/vasos.htm ---{Nothing herein consti...

Help! Getting values from SqlDataSource command parameters
 I'm trying to get the value from a sql command in a sqldatasource and assign it to a session variable for use on another form.  Here is the SQL insert command I'm using: BEGIN TRANSACTION; INSERT INTO DEV.ENTITY (CompanyName, FirstName, MiddleName, LastName, EntityType) VALUES (@CompanyName, @FirstName, @MiddleName, @LastName, 'Owner'); SET @nextEntityId=(SELECT MAX(EntityId) FROM DEV.ENTITY); COMMIT; Here is the code for the SqlDataSource called EntityDataSource: <asp:SqlDataSource ID="EntityDataSource" runat="server"  &n...

Cant get Zenworks application to work! Help!!!! :)
Hi all, I'm trying to upgrade our adobe reader 7 to version 8 via Zenworks. I have basically just created the new Adobe 8 Zenworks application from a copy of the Adobe 7 one .ie. using an exsisting application object and just changed things around to point to the Adobe 8 files, etc instead. I also get the following error when I try to deploy the application "Could not launch Adobe 8 Reader (I) TEST.APPS.ZEN.SSAT (using msiexec) (id=267) THe directory name is invalid" I can't figure out what this error means. The difference I have seen between the co...

help! help! help!
I got such errors while installing a new replication server,please help me !Thanks a lot. T. 2003/05/29 14:21:24. (-1): Hardware Exception: c0000005, EXCEPTION_ACCESS_VIOLATION T. 2003/05/29 14:21:24. (-1): Thread GLOBAL RS(GLOBAL RS) infected with signal -1073741819 T. 2003/05/29 14:21:24. (-1): ***************STACK TRACE*************** T. 2003/05/29 14:21:24. (-1): *****thread GLOBAL RS(GLOBAL RS)******* T. 2003/05/29 14:21:24. (-1): unknown function 0x0038c559 () T. 2003/05/29 14:21:24. (-1): unknown function 0x0038bb65 () T. 2003/05/29 14:21:24. (-1): pc: 0x00468934, err_h...

Need help to get start with Distributed Application?
I am using powerbuilder 6.0 to create GUI / Presentation for win 95/NT user. My backend server is Sybase - Apdative Server 11.5. I would like to create business objects / components for the middle-tier server. I just don't know how to make a relationship between tables from relational database and object oriented database. Is there any book or documentations to help me start with object model design for my current relational database. Thanks for any help Ken Nguyen UC Irvine Take a look at the HOW Learning Edition included with PB 6. That would be a good place to star...

HELP!! Getting Button Command to work live
I need help getting my button command to work on a live server. It works when I am working with it in ASP.NET // I can run my solution and it works fine. I can view it in a web browser and it works.  When I upload my files to my webserver and change the WebForm1.aspx file to index.htm the page will load but it will not calculate and display any information. You can view and example here www.seanschmitt.com  you will see that the quantity field is present and the add to my cart button is present and it is supposed to display the results on the right.   Here is the button...

Web resources about - apt-get: Command not found! - opensuse.org.help.applications