"Good" vs "Bad" Repositories

I recently saw an article on an app called Eagle Mode
(
http://eaglemode.sourceforge.net).
So I thought I'd give it a go, however, after running the .RPM I get
the following error:

PHP code:
--------------------
    nothing provides libpoppler-glib.so.4 needed by eaglemode-0.83.0-1.i586
--------------------

Now if I search the almighty internet I do get locations where I can
download an .RPM for this file.
My question(s): What are considered "good" repositories?  And if I do
get this repository will it automatically handle the dependencies?

Much appreciated.
RD

--
RokDok

RokDok

Sorry for the PHP and HTML code mix-up - I thought it was to highlight
the different text.
Will eventually get the hang of this editor.  :)
RD

--
RokDok
RokDok's Profile: http://forums.opensuse.org/member.php?userid=64734

0
RokDok
1/21/2012 4:16:02 PM
On 01/21/2012 05:06 PM, RokDok wrote:
> And if I do
> get this repository will it automatically handle the dependencies?

depends....have you tried searching for, and installing it from here:

http://software.opensuse.org/search

if you do, and you are BRAVE, and VERY careful, you might get a working
example of Eagle Mode...

but, since you didn't say what version of openSUSE you are using, then i
can't be sure if you will install from Factory (i suggest you do NOT,
but others might have a different opinion)..

i see it is in a contrib repo for 11.4: but you never really know the
expertise of those..

on the other hand, if installed as a 1-Click it should settle all
dependencies, in theory....tell us about what happen in practice..

and, always when you 1-Click install either elect to NOT keep the repo
enabled, or afterwards go to YaST > Software Repositories disable and
stop the refreshing of all other than oss, non-oss, packman and update
(therefore following the GREAT advice found in the paragraph beginning
with "IMPORTANT" in this post: http://tinyurl.com/33qc9vu so that your
repo list looks kinda like mine: http://paste.opensuse.org/81397698

--
DD http://tinyurl.com/DD-Caveat
openSUSE®, the "German Engineered Automobiles" of operating systems!
On 2012-01-21 17:06, RokDok wrote:

> PHP code:
> --------------------
>     nothing provides libpoppler-glib.so.4 needed by eaglemode-0.83.0-1.i586
> --------------------

Because we have libpoppler-glib.so.5, which is newer. Your rpm is old, or
not designed for openSUSE.

--
Cheers / Saludos,

		Carlos E. R.
		(from 11.4 x86_64 "Celadon" at Telcontar)
0
Carlos
Use CODE tags: http://tinyurl.com/2wwx7l9

--
Henk van Velden
hcvv's Profile: http://forums.opensuse.org/member.php?userid=180
View this thread: http://forums.opensuse.org/showthread.php?t=471470

0
hcvv
1/21/2012 5:46:03 PM
Thank you very much for the replies from all (DenverD - I like the
disclaimer),

I guess at this stage since I only just started playing with openSuse
(12.1 - I must remember to add these details!) so there is still a
balance between RTFM and playing with a trial installation.
I like what I see so far and must say that this is a very helpful
community.

Thanks again for all the pointers.
RD