Help - 6-screens after installing nvidia driver 4 suse 11.1

hello,
im having an ASUS K501N series laptop that has a G102M GeForce NVIDIA
graphic card.Im having a dual boot with windows XP and OpenSUSE 11.1.i
have already installed the graphic driver to windows but dont really
Know how to installed it in SUSE 11.1..so i came up to this forum topic
and did as what was told:

> Start the Software installer and make sure you have the pattern 'Linux
> Kernel Development' installed.
>
> Open a terminal window and issue following commands:
>
> mkdir NVIDIA-driver
> cd NVIDIA-driver
> wget ftp://download.nvidia.com/XFree86/Li...90.25-pkg1.run
>
> Now logout of your desktop back to the login screen. At the graphic
> login screen, hit Ctrl-Alt-F1. This brings you to the console, with a
> text based login. Login with username and password. Now issue the
> following commands to install and configure the driver. You will be
> prompted for your rootpassword on all the 'su -c' commands. but that's
> for your own security.
>
> cd ~/NVIDIA-driver
> su -c 'init 3'
> su -c 'sh NVIDIA-Linux-x86-190.25-pkg1.run -q'

Everything was ok up till this stage but as i type in this:

> su -c 'cp /etc/X11/xorg.conf .'

the following error comes out:

> cp: missing destination file operand after '/etc/X11/xorg.conf.'
> Try 'cp-- help' for more information

then i tried manually copying the file to the nvidia folder..and tried
the rest:

> su -c 'sax2 -r -m0=nvidia'
> su -c 'init 5 && exit'

nvidia was sucessfully installed but i now have 6 screen on my
monitor..and through this forum i found out that adding

> Option "ModeValidation" "NoTotalSizeCheck"
to the xorg.conf file might help..but my monitors stays the same with 6
screen..
for days i tried googling and forums...but nothing seems to be
helpful...

if its helpful,my kernel information is:

gothu@linux-p6e8:~> uname -a
Linux linux-p6e8 2.6.27.29-0.1-default #1 SMP 2009-08-15 17:53:59 +0200
i686 i686 i386 GNU/Linux
gothu@linux-p6e8:~> rpm -qa | grep kernel
kernel-pae-extra-2.6.27.7-9.1
kernel-debug-2.6.27.29-0.1.1
kernel-pae-base-2.6.27.7-9.1
kernel-default-base-2.6.27.29-0.1.1
kernel-syms-2.6.27.29-0.1.1
kernel-default-extra-2.6.27.29-0.1.1
kernel-pae-2.6.27.7-9.1
kernel-source-2.6.27.29-0.1.1
kernel-debug-extra-2.6.27.29-0.1.1
kernel-default-2.6.27.29-0.1.1
kernel-docs-2.6.3-3.13.46
linux-kernel-headers-2.6.27-2.28
kernel-debug-base-2.6.27.29-0.1.1
gothu@linux-p6e8:~>

Plz be aware that im not linux literate..im just a newbie..plz help
Thank you..

--
gomz

gomz
10/18/2009 12:26:01 PM
opensuse.org.hardware.laptop 2366 articles. 0 followers. Follow

gomz;2052331 Wrote:

> gothu@linux-p6e8:~> uname -a
> Linux linux-p6e8 2.6.27.29-0.1-default #1 SMP 2009-08-15 17:53:59 +0200
> i686 i686 i386 GNU/Linux
> gothu@linux-p6e8:~> rpm -qa | grep kernel

Code:
--------------------
  >   > kernel-pae-extra-2.6.27.7-9.1
  > kernel-debug-2.6.27.29-0.1.1
  > kernel-pae-base-2.6.27.7-9.1
  > kernel-default-base-2.6.27.29-0.1.1
  > kernel-syms-2.6.27.29-0.1.1
  > kernel-default-extra-2.6.27.29-0.1.1
  > kernel-pae-2.6.27.7-9.1
  > kernel-source-2.6.27.29-0.1.1
  > kernel-debug-extra-2.6.27.29-0.1.1
  > kernel-default-2.6.27.29-0.1.1
  > kernel-docs-2.6.3-3.13.46
  > linux-kernel-headers-2.6.27-2.28
  > kernel-debug-base-2.6.27.29-0.1.1
  > gothu@linux-p6e8:~>

--------------------

Ok, the above is bad.

You have old kernels, new kernels, extra kernels, ...

You have installed way too many kernel rpms.  Which kernel do you
intend to use?  For example, on my 64-bit openSUSE-11.1, I use
kernel-default. Hence All I have installed is:

Code:
--------------------
    oldcpu@hal1000:~> rpm -qa | grep kernel
  kernel-default-base-2.6.27.29-0.1.1
  kernel-default-extra-2.6.27.29-0.1.1
  linux-kernel-headers-2.6.27-2.28
  kernel-syms-2.6.27.29-0.1.1
  kernel-default-2.6.27.29-0.1.1
  kernel-source-2.6.27.29-0.1.1
--------------------

If you decide to remove the unneeded kernel, pay very close attention
to what this does to your computer's /boot/grub/menu.lst file (you will
need root permissions to open that file).  I recommend you make a backup
copy of that file first before you do anything (with root permissions)
and then after you remove any unneeded kernel applications, immediately
after the removal and before rebooting, compared the revised
/boot/grub/menu.lst against the backed up /boot/grub/menu.lst and ensure
the changes make sense.

Then after that is successful, you will need to re-build/re-install the
proprietary graphic driver.

--
oldcpu
oldcpu's Profile: http://forums.opensuse.org/member.php?userid=77

0
oldcpu
10/18/2009 12:56:01 PM
ok, i dont understand what you are asking me to do..backup copy of what
file? how?
What kernel is important?
And how to compare the revised /boot/grub/menu.ls against the backup
/boot/grub/menu.ls

im a newbie..plz be detail?

--
gomz
gomz's Profile: http://forums.opensuse.org/member.php?userid=35567
View this thread: http://forums.opensuse.org/showthread.php?t=423703

0
gomz
10/18/2009 1:06:02 PM
gomz;2052359 Wrote:
> ok, i dont understand what you are asking me to do..backup copy of what
> file? how? Backup the /boot/grub/menu.lst file.

One way to do that backup, is (assuming your user name is "gothu") is
to type:

Code:
--------------------
    su -c 'cp /boot/grub/menu.lst /home/gothu/menu.lst'

--------------------
and type root password when prompted for a password.

gomz;2052359 Wrote:
> What kernel is important? The kernel you intend to use is the one that is important.  Preferably
the 2.6.27.29 version, which is the latest ?  Or did you intend to
update the pae kernel to 2.6.27.29 but mistakenly installed the
kernel-default for 2.6.27.29?  I don't know. Only you have that
information.

I gave you an example as to what I have on my PC that works.

But note if you pick the wrong kernel you "might" break your wireless,
webcam, sound in addition to your graphics.
gomz;2052359 Wrote:
> And how to compare the revised /boot/grub/menu.ls against the backup
> /boot/grub/menu.lstOpen them in an editor and look at the difference ! Compare the
difference Since you need root permissions to open the file, then
- if using KDE you could type: kdesu 'kwrite /boot/grub/menu.lst'
- and if using Gnome you could type:  gnomesu gedit
  /boot/grub/menu.lst but be VERY CAREFUL not to save any changes unless you know exactly what
you are doing, as the wrong information there could destroy the
capability of your PC to boot.

But since you have 6 screens, that could be difficult ! :)

What you could do, in the mean time, is revert to an openGL or a vesa
driver.  Do that by rebooting, and when the very first boot screen comes
up, press "3" to boot to run level 3. Then let the PC boot. It will come
to an ascii/text login. Log in as user gothu (assuming that is your user
name).   Then type "su" to get root permissions. Then revert to a vesa
driver by typing:
::sax2 -r -m 0=nv::
where that is zero equals nv.
Then restart with "shutdown -r now" and hopefully you will be back to
an openGL driver.

If that does not work, then try:
::sax2 -r -m 0=vesa::
instead, where that is zero equals vesa

For example, here is my /boot/grub/menu.lst.  Note mine is optimized
for my PC and will NOT work on your PC. You need to use what you have.

Code:
--------------------
    # Modified by YaST2. Last modification on Fri Aug 21 18:57:52 CEST 2009
  default 0
  timeout 15
  gfxmenu (hd0,1)/boot/message
  ##YaST - activate

  ###Don't change this comment - YaST2 identifier: Original name: linux###
  title openSUSE 11.1 - 2.6.27.29-0.1
  root (hd0,1)
  kernel /boot/vmlinuz-2.6.27.29-0.1-default root=/dev/disk/by-id/ata-ST31500341AS_9VS14DG6-part2 resume=/dev/disk/by-id/ata-ST31500341AS_9VS14DG6-part3 splash=silent showopts vga=0x346
  initrd /boot/initrd-2.6.27.29-0.1-default

  ###Don't change this comment - YaST2 identifier: Original name: failsafe###
  title Failsafe -- openSUSE 11.1 - 2.6.27.29-0.1
  root (hd0,1)
  kernel /boot/vmlinuz-2.6.27.29-0.1-default root=/dev/disk/by-id/ata-ST31500341AS_9VS14DG6-part2 showopts ide=nodma apm=off noresume edd=off powersaved=off nohz=off highres=off processor.max_cstate=1 x11failsafe vga=0x346
  initrd /boot/initrd-2.6.27.29-0.1-default

  ###Don't change this comment - YaST2 identifier: Original name: windows###
  title Windows
  rootnoverify (hd0,0)
  chainloader +1
--------------------

gomz;2052359 Wrote:
> im a newbie..plz be detail?I think it might help for you to brush up on some basics?  Here are some
basic concepts 'Concepts - openSUSE' (http://en.opensuse.org/Concepts)

... a caution.

In Linux one DOES NOT BLINDLY INSTALL APPLICATIONS. One has to be
careful and install judiciously.

Good luck!

--
oldcpu
oldcpu's Profile: http://forums.opensuse.org/member.php?userid=77
View this thread: http://forums.opensuse.org/showthread.php?t=423703

0
oldcpu
10/18/2009 1:36:01 PM
How much time have you spent on your openSUSE?

If you just installed it, then it may be quicker for you to bite the
bullet now and re-install. That will take a couple of hours.

For me to sort your mess in front of your PC might take 15-minutes.
For you this could take days of post, counter-post, counter-post ...

Re-installation is not the Linux way. You will learn more by trying to
fix this. But your frustration levels may go thru the roof. It may be
quicker for YOU to re-install, and then be very careful what you do.
Seek advice each step of the way after a re-install BEFORE you do
things.

If you do re-install, be CERTAIN you install on top of the old openSUSE
and NOT install a 2nd version in addition to the first.

Better yet, do you have a knowledgeable Linux friend who can sit down
beside you and hold your hand thru this?

--
oldcpu
oldcpu's Profile: http://forums.opensuse.org/member.php?userid=77
View this thread: http://forums.opensuse.org/showthread.php?t=423703

0
oldcpu
10/18/2009 1:46:01 PM
No i dont have a friend that is knowledgeable in linux..wish i was your
friend though!..im not that knowledgeble in linux in the sense that some
words or phrase like, grub, kernel, and most of all the commands of
linux..all my work on linux is always through googling...so i juz follow
and learn along the way...as for changing to vesa..i have done it..and
currently interchanging it with nvidia..i have to change it back to vesa
to find solution for my nvidia..so it takes time to try out the
solutions on nividia and and when it fails i have to install vesa back
and find for solutions..thats y im asking for a detailed solution (i.e.
linux commands)..

Back to my problem..
So through my kernel version..the graphic may show 6 screen?

and why is it im having this error:
> cp: missing destination file operand after '/etc/X11/xorg.conf.'
> Try 'cp-- help' for more information

after the command:
> su -c 'cp /etc/X11/xorg.conf'

What does this means?
What could have cause 6 screens??
Tq..

--
gomz
gomz's Profile: http://forums.opensuse.org/member.php?userid=35567
View this thread: http://forums.opensuse.org/showthread.php?t=423703

0
gomz
10/18/2009 3:16:01 PM
gomz;2052401 Wrote:
> after the command:

Code:
--------------------

--------------------
> > What does this means?

This is a new user mistake in not understanding the syntax of the copy
command, nor of root permissions.

When one copies a file, one must copy the file *FROM* a place, *TO* a
place.

So to copy from file-a to file-b, the command would be:

Code:
--------------------
    cp file-a file-b
--------------------

In your example, you have forgotten to add the "TO" ... for example,

Code:
--------------------
    su -c 'cp /etc/X11/xorg.conf /etc/X11/xorg.conf.mybackup'

--------------------
would work.

Now, note the "su -c " at the start, and the single quotations around
the remainder.

When you type "su" it means switch user.  ie if you were to type: "su
joe" you would switch user in this terminal (and only this terminal)
from your current logged in user (say gothu) to user joe, assuming of
course user joe had an account on your PC. You would also have to enter
user joe's password.  Then any other commands in that terminal (and only
that terminal) would have user joe permissions.

If you do not specify the user, but just type "su" by itself, then the
command assumes you want administrator (ie root) permissions.   And you
will have to enter user root's password.  And any other commands in that
terminal (and only that specific terminal), would be run with
administrator (ie root) permissions.  Once you close that terminal, then
its done. No more root permissions in that terminal, as that terminal is
closed. If instead of closing, you were to type "exit", then it would
log out of the last user in which you logged in (ie log out of user
"joe", or out of user 'root' ).

Now if you only wanted ONE command, and no others sent with root
permissions, you could type the " -c " option after su. Then only the
command that follows, is sent with the permission of the user to which
you have switched in that line.

So by typing:

Code:
--------------------
    su -c 'cp /etc/X11/xorg.conf /etc/X11/xorg.conf.mybackup'
--------------------

you are saying with root permissions, for this command and only this
command, copy the file xorg.conf to the new file xorg.conf.mybackup (in
the directory /etc/X11).

Clear as mud?

--
oldcpu
oldcpu's Profile: http://forums.opensuse.org/member.php?userid=77
View this thread: http://forums.opensuse.org/showthread.php?t=423703

0
oldcpu
10/18/2009 3:26:01 PM
I have a similar problem updating from new ubuntu.
But the bad thing is that I have the 6 screen already at BIOS stage...
do you have the same problem ???

--
benpaka
benpaka's Profile: http://forums.opensuse.org/member.php?userid=37293
View this thread: http://forums.opensuse.org/showthread.php?t=423703

0
benpaka
11/17/2009 1:36:01 PM
thank you oldcpu..i have solved my problem...its all good..thank you
very much..

--
gomz
gomz's Profile: http://forums.opensuse.org/member.php?userid=35567
View this thread: http://forums.opensuse.org/showthread.php?t=423703

0
gomz

SUSE 11.1 Install Black Screen Nvidia
I have done four clean installs of 11.1 here, using the Live CD. Everything installs just fine until I install the Nvidia driver, then when I reboot, I'm left with nothing but a black screen. It doesn't matter whether I have Windows effects enabled or not. I get a flash of some sort of Plasma error and that's all. I can see the mouse cursor on the black screen, but nothing more. I enabled the Nvidia repo through YAST, Community repo's to install the Nvidia driver. Seems to install just fine. This is an older FX5200 video card, as I'm installing in my test ...

Install problem for laptop nvidia drivers with 11.4
In a fresh install from DVD I do a new boot and root partition and try to direct Yast to the repo for the Nvidia drivers. Yast does not want to connect to any repos in the installation system. I let it do the Network setup and use DHCP then the list of community repos comes up blank. I also tried to enter a URL for Nvidia and it just won't connect. This wouldn't be a problem but the generic driver does NOT work on this laptop and did NOT work in 11.3 either. The vid card is NVIDIA GeForce 7150M in the 'HP Pavilion dv2715nr' (http://tinyurl.com/3uzdlch). Whe...

need help to install nvidia driver on GEFORCE 6150se hardware in opensuse11.4
hi all i need help with installing nvidia driver . i'm useing gnome desk top.thank's -- aburroughs92 ------------------------------------------------------------------------ 'nVidia Driver via Repo in 11.3 & 11.4 - Guide' (http://tinyurl.com/29vv32s) -- Box: openSUSE 11.4 | Gnome 2.3 | AMD 64 X2 5200+ | nVidia 8500GT | 4GB RAM Lap #1: openSUSE 11.4 | Duo T4300 | KDE 4.6 | Gnome 2.3 | Intel M4 Graphics | Lenovo G550 | 3GB RAM Lap#2: 11.4 | Gnome | Celeron 550 | Intel 965GM | Lenovo R61 | Tumbleweed 'My Guides' (http://tinyurl.com/...

Can't install propietary (1-click) nvidia driver with 11.4 ms3 on older desktop
installed OpenSuse 11.4 milestone 3 on HP8440p notebook - looks good no hickups. Almost the same on my older desktop but couldn't get the proprietary nvidia driver to install. Yast says there's no directions for this version of opensuse. NVidia driver install works for 11.2 but with 11.3 I can't log in. Intel driver looks like it's really fixed for the 8440p with 11.3 & 11.4. Just wish I could install the 1-click nvidia driver on the older desktop with 11.4...no 3d on that box. mike -- mikeinsantarosa -----------------------------------------------------...

Installing SUSE 12.1 alongside SUSE 11.4
Hello, I have a Dell Dimension C521 (AMD AthlonX2) with a 160 GB internal HDD and and an external Hard Disk (Seagate GoFlex ITB capacity on USB) with 3 GB RAM. The system has dual boot for Windows Vista Home Premium and SUSE 11.4 64 bit. The internal HDD is dedicated to Windows Vista. The GRUB is installed on the MBR of the external HDD. The booting order is DVD drive, external HDD and then internal HDD. If the external HDD is not switched/powered on, the systems boots into Windows Vista directly. I can then switch on the external HDD and access the Windows partitions (first ...

Help with Grub booting 11.1 after installing 11.4
AMD 64bit OpenSuse 11.4 My installation on 11.4 went onto its own partition (s) - one for root fs and another for /home. I have encountered intermittent lockups of OpenSuse 11.4 and wish to use my old system as a backup until I can sort this out. Grub is only offering to boot the new system and Failsafe. My other installation does not appear in the menu. Any ideas on how to diagnose this ? I have several hard drives on the system with older versions of OpenSuse. The 11.1 release works ok and I would like to boot back into it. -- cabernet ----------------------------...

Error "Make sure that CD number 1 is in your drive." when installing Open SUSE 11.2, 11.3 and 11.4.
Hi sir, I had download the iso of Open SUSE 11.2, 11.3 and 11.4 and confirmed with the MD5 code. Then, I burned them using the lowest speed which the system supported. But the error message "Make sure that CD number 1 is in your drive." is always displayed while installing OS. How can I do? Environment: CPU i7-2710QE. PCH: B1 stepping. Platform: Huron River based. RAM: 2Gx1 unbuffered none ECC RAM. Target OS: Open SUSE 11.2, 11.3 and 11.4 for 32bit. Hdd: WD 160G SATA HDD using IDE mode by setting setup. DVD: Pioneer DVR-217BK. USB keyboard/mouse. Onboard VGA por...

Intsalling xen with nvidia drivers, what drivers xen capable on open suse 11.4 ?
Hi, I am just wondering, what the steps should I take to install opensuse with xen, and a xen capable nvidia driver.. what versions are okay to use with xen? I just did a clean install becuase my old opensuse just used the current version, and it wouldn't boot into xen.. this install, I car more about having xen working then having nvidia installed but would still like to have a current display driver. os : 11.4 clean, xeon 5650 12gigs ram -- ghostcyber ------------------------------------------------------------------------ ...

11.4
Nvidia h/w: Quadro FX 570 Installed 11.4 yesterday. No problems. Installed Gnome 3 today and it goes into fallback mode. Assuming that the graphics driver might be the culprit, I attempted to install the latest nvidia driver. Added repo ftp://download.nvidia.com/opensuse/11.4/ in Yast2. Did a refresh and it complains that it cannot access installation media at the above. Paste the above in Firefox and it gets there OK. One-click method also fails. Never had a problem with updating nvidia driver before. Not sure what to check. I did delete and add with no succe...

Suse 11.1 install help please
I'm having some trouble installing opensuse 11.1. I'm running vista 32bit and ubuntu 9.04, and I'm trying to add opensuse 11.1. When I boot from CD and I run the installer - on text mode because the other resolution modes were giving me issues - it works fine until it gets to this part where it asks me for a linux account and password. I have no idea what this is, and whatever I type is incorrect. I've read on other forums that it's asking for the root account and password. I'm not sure why, this is a fresh install, and I have not had any prompt ask me to crea...

OpenOffice.org 3.1.1.4 on 11.1?
I can't go to 11.2 because of issues with Gnome 2.8.0, but I need OOo 3.1.1.4 because it fixes some things that I need. The upgrade manager and software.opensuse.org list it as available, but when I try to install it I get an error message that Writer requires a dependency that is not available. I'm new to OpenSuse and package management is confusing. Would it be better to uninstall 3.0.0.9 that came with 11.1 and install the RPM from the OpenOffice.org download page? Does anyone have 3.1.1.4 running on OpenSuse 11.1? -- John_Jason_Jordan ------------------------...

suse 11.4 install and invalid screen settings
SuSe 11.4 install problem I've installed 11.4 and have the following sequence of events power on - dell hardware boot options grub choice of standard suse boot safe mode windows 1 windows 2 choosing standard goes through a boot sequence but leaves me with a invalid screen setting wiith a scrambled display. are there any options I can provide grub with that will enable me to boot and trouble shoot the system? grub has vga = 0x348 the graphics are nvida geforce 6150se monitor dell 22 inch widescreen SuSE 11.1 worked fine. the windows sid...

[HELP!!!] How to Install Ati Drivers on Suse 11.2
OpenSuse 11.2 is atm giving me a very hard time with the installation of Ati 9.11 Drivers >:( I've been searching the intraweb for an easy step by step guide on how to get the 3D acceleration to work but everything I find is 2 year old information... Now this is my first time using OpenSuse and to give you an image of how bad I am at it.. it took me 3 hours to get my internet working... :sarcastic: So I was wondering if someone could PM or post here a Very Very Very Easy way of getting things to work so I can finally enjoy my laptop and OpenSuse I've followed th...

Fresh 11.1 install, nvidia driver problem
Anyone know what this means: '[image: http://thumbnails5.imagebam.com/2774/ac540727733979.gif]' (http://www.imagebam.com/image/ac540727733979) This is a fresh install of 11.1 64bit, I did all the online updates. -- growbag ------------------------------------------------------------------------ give us uname -a (are you using the default kernel or PAE??) I know you don't need PAE, but just check, I keep seeing it installed by default. -- Box: Linux 2.6.27.15-170.2.24 i686 PAE | Fedora 10 | Gnome 2.24.2 | M2N4-SLI | AMD 64 X2 5200+ | nVidia...

11.4 new nvidia driver install problems
11.4 with Gnome 3. Saw a new nvidia driver -- let's get it. 290.10 Tried to install with both one-click and zypper with no luck. Log file entry: missing or misconfigured D-bus session bus daemon ------- I've been able to install nvidia in the past using either method in the past with no problems but I'm pretty sure this is the first time I've tried since installing 11.4 and Gnome 3. Searched for similar problems but all I came up with was the D-bus message for other issues, not installing nvidia. Maybe 12.1 has similar problems? Dunno. -- gudewdl ...

Web resources about - Help - 6-screens after installing nvidia driver 4 suse 11.1 - opensuse.org.hardware.laptop

Solar panels are lifted into place.

The builder of a south-west Sydney unit block where a young woman plunged to her death during a ferocious fire told a certifier to reduce ...

Iran installing new nuclear equipment

Gillard defends installing Slipper