DVD Install not different from LiveCD install?

I installed openSUSE once from the Live CD and couldn't do it and went
back to Ubuntu. Then my friend who uses SUSE came and said that SUSE
actually comes on a DVD and is loaded with stuff.
I got the DVD (7h+ to download) and then I installed and the only
difference is the install and options on installing KDE4, or GNOME, or
KDE3. Should I re-install (don't have any data on here yet so it's safe)
and choose a lot more software and load it? Otherwise the extra DVD
download I could call a waste.

--
blenderman345

blenderman345
3/9/2009 2:06:01 AM
opensuse.org.general 2244 articles. 0 followers. Follow

It's different in a few ways:

1. You don't have to boot to a Live system first, you can install
straight away. Some people have problems with getting the Live system
running, or don't have enough RAM. On the other hand the LiveCD allows
to see if it has a chance of working.

2. It has more software, as you have noted.

If you really want to reduce the download you could even do an over the
Internet install from the NET CD, which only fetches what you want to
install. But some of us like having a bootable CD or DVD around in case
something needs to be repaired or more packages installed. So it's up to
you whether you want to spend the time downloading.

--
ken_yap
ken_yap's Profile: http://forums.opensuse.org/member.php?userid=221

0
ken

To install or not to install?

Installing ardour and installing in general...
I want to try out ardour, as I'm trying to turn my laptop into a fully functional music studio, using opensource software. Ardour wants to downgrade a LOT of things on my computer, most of which I don't know what is.Some of it I do know. Fx it wants to downgrade the Compiz interface or something like that. It also changes other things, fx media libraries. I can make do without Compiz. Thats ok. But I'd be very sad if Songbird stops working or if I can't watch movies anymore. So lets say I install Ardour and the whole computer goes to hell. I can't watch movies...

Inspiron 1000 install problem (11.1, 11.2, net install, dvd install)
Ok, I have a plain jane Inspiron 1000, 2ghz celeron, 256m ram, 40gig hd, dvd. I burned 11.2 to dvd, 11.1 to dvd, tried installing both. Both get the dreaded "cannot create repository" (i'm paraphrasing). No problem, I download and burn 11.1, 11.2 net install's, checksums check out ok. I go through the first part where it downloads stuff from download.opensuse.com (or something similiar), then it fails again, not able to install. I get no message on the net installs. Just fails real quick with a red box. I tried a text install, fails. What gives? --...

DVD install hangs at driver install . .
Hello, I am new to Suse being a Kubuntu user mainly then Ubuntu with ldxe. I've got rather fed up with 'bloat' and continual issues with Kubuntu so I am going to try Suse 12.1 with ldxe. However unlike Kubuntu I am having trouble with the drivers at more or less the start of the install i.e. before any language/keyboard stuff etc. The install hangs at the driver stage and so I am at a loss as to what I do now. I know there are issues with Nvidia on Suse and I have what I believe are the bits and pieces I need to get the correct driver in place once the installation h...

LiveCD or DVD for installation?
Since I have decided to install openSUSE 11.2 when it comes out as a final version, I need to know if the DVD is better than the LiveCD for a desktop installation. I don't care if the installation DVD comes with lots of more packages; honestly, all I want is a KDE 4.3 desktop with YaST, OpenOffice.org, and most of the KDE applications. And the rest I can easily get from the repositories. So, does the LiveCD come with all software applications (counting the apps in the repository) that someone like me will want? openSUSE 11.2 will be using LZMA compression, so I guess it will co...

clean install cant get through installation dvd
Installing opensuse 11 on one clean hard drive. Everything goes ok untill I get to the grub/boot loader part. I always get a "error 22 invalid partition (hd01) (hd01) I have gone through almost every option in system repair trying to get the boot loader to install somewhere with no luck. what is going on???? -- jaybott ------------------------------------------------------------------------ A clean install on new drive. BUT are other drives present? We need more info on your system -- Linux 2.6.25.5-1.1-default x86_64. openSUSE 11.0. (KDE 4.0.4 >...

Has anyone installed rc1 dvd as a fresh install?
Just wondering if it installs OK? -- dth2 ------------------------------------------------------------------------ I used the Gnome live CD I'll not be downloading a DVD again until release -- Box: 11.4 | KDE 4.7.2 | AMD 64 X2 5200+ | nVidia 8500GT | 4GB RAM Lap #1: 12.1 | Duo T4300 | Gnome 3 | Intel M4 Graphics | Lenovo G550 | 3GB RAM Lap#2: 11.4 | KDE 4.7.2 | Celeron 550 | Intel 965GM | Lenovo R61 | 'Carl's_Multimedia_Oneclick' (http://forums.opensuse.org/blogs/caf4926/my-multimedia-oneclick-30/) 'My_Guides' (http://tinyurl.com/6cabu2...

Occassional appearance of Install/Install.aspx?mode=Install
Since upgrading to 3.1.1 I am getting the occasional redirection to Install/Install.aspx?mode=Install.  Is anyone else recieving this or does this suggest the installation script didn't complete?Jonathan Palmer Check your web.config and see if install=true.... In a previous version this was happening to me until i turned it off. ...

no install after installing jvm141
i have waited for a few days now to see if anyone would reply to my last response and got nothing so far so i figured i would repost everything in hopes that someone woudl be able to help me, please read below. ============================ In article , wrote: > i cant find the install opption on the GUI to install imanager. i just > updated to the newest jvm and the gui looks totally differnet, and the > start options all changed. any ideas? > What exact NetWare version are you using (including SP)? In theory, you should use the "install" option in ...

LiveCD vs DVD Install
I have downloaded the 1.1 gig Gnome Live DVD and successfully installed to my Dell E310. Have most everything working as I want (just installed today). My question is should I try and get the 4.4 gig DVD and reinstall. Is it worth the trouble for what else may be on the DVD. I tried to find a list of what is on each one but cannot find one. So far have run into errors each time I tried to download the larger DVD. I have installed several different distros in the past few weeks and am happy with the Suse Gnome so far above the rest. PC is dedicated to linux. No other OS's on it. T...

Is there a Gzip installer that I could install ?
Trying to make things easier I have a question about the linux desktop interface .. is direct package installed that I could use opening it on files using the right click method from windows ? "open with" / "chosen freeware" = click ! -- Cypher7 ------------------------------------------------------------------------ Cypher7 wrote: > > Trying to make things easier I have a question about the linux desktop > interface The linux desktop interface can be a lot of things, KDE,GNOME, windowmaker to name but a few. > .. is direct packa...

Installing MySql DBD without installing MySql- general question.
------_=_NextPart_001_01C0F85B.7D4D3C60 Content-Type: text/plain; charset="ISO-8859-1" I am trying to install the DBI module and DBD for MySql on our application server running HP-Ux 10.2. I have a Linux box set up as an Apache server that is running MySql and want to query its database. When I run make (after having run Makefile.PL) on the Mysql modules-1.2215 I get an "Error exit code 1 Don't know how to make /usr/local/mysql/lib/mysql.h". Can't I install the DBI on a machine without installing the database? I have looked at O'Reilly's Programm...

Installers and install as admin, run as different user. Win7 ( Vista? )
Hi all, Not sure where to post this. To register an Delphi IDE add-in expert I have to add an entry to HKCU/Software/Codegear/blablabla/Experts/"name"="full-path-to\add-in.dll" If there's no key added there, the add-in won't be loaded by the Delphi IDE. So, my installer adds this entry to HKCU and the same entry to HKLM (which is required by BDS ?) Additionally the installer adds a few other entries to HKCU/Software/ModelMakerTools/blablabla Problem: I have had several reports from Win7 users about the installer failing to do his thing. I think ...

Web resources about - DVD Install not different from LiveCD install? - opensuse.org.general

Apple TV App Store grew to more than 2,000 in a month
It feels almost unbelievable that it has only been a month since Apple formally opened up its App Store for Apple TV developers. Especially when ...

Climate talks turn to South African indaba process to unlock deal
By Bate Felix PARIS (Reuters) - Climate negotiators in Paris have turned to a traditional South African consultation process in a quest for common ...

Verizon Rolls Out Star Wars-Themed Droids in Time for The Force Awakens
With The Force Awakens hitting theaters — next week?! Time flies. Verizon and Motorola are getting in on the action. How could they not? When ...

Things to Know About Family of San Bernardino Shooters
Things to know about family members of the couple suspected in San Bernardino massacre

‘Serial’ Season 2 Opens With Bowe Bergdahl Channeling Jason Bourne – Sort Of
The second season of Serial is off to an auspicious start. The only podcast to win a Peabody Award scored the first interview with former Army ...

Connecticut to ban gun sales to those on terrorism no-fly list
Connecticut Gov. Dannel P. Malloy said on Thursday that he would sign an executive order to ban gun sales to those on federal terrorism no-fly ...

Latest Way to Smuggle Banned Items to North Koreans? Drones.
Drones now used to smuggle banned information into North Korea, defector's group says

The Cases That Led to Convictions Against Oklahoma Officer
A look at the allegations that led to convictions against ex-Oklahoma City officer

Twitter's latest test: Showing you ads even if you're not logged in
The social network is trying to reach the 500 million people a month who visit the site without signing in. The hope? Make more money.

Facebook releases design for souped-up artificial intelligence server, 'Big Sur'
Facebook is releasing the hardware design for a server it uses to train artificial intelligence software, allowing other companies exploring ...