wlan0:Interface doesn't support scanning : Network is down

I did all steps,which was writed at topic "My wireless doesn't work - a
primer on what I should do next".
my wlan card is Broadcom Corporation BCM4318 [AirForce One 54g] 802.11g
Wireless LAN Controller (rev 02)
But on 4th step linux say me,that:

wlan0     IEEE 802.11g  ESSID:""
Mode:Managed  Channel:0  Access Point: Not-Associated
Tx-Power=0 dBm
Retry min limit:7   RTS thr:off   Fragment thr=2352 B
Link Quality:0  Signal level:0  Noise level:0

and on 5th step:

wlan0     Interface doesn't support scanning : Network is down

--
petru4o

petru4o
10/19/2008 9:16:01 PM
opensuse.network.wireless 2348 articles. 0 followers. Follow

You just have your network connection misconfigured. Go to YAST/Network
Devices, edit your "wlan0" connection, supplying the correct ESSID (I
bet it's currently empty). You know what your ESSID is, right?;)

--
*Even if free software were crap*, it should still get our preference
over the non-free crap secreted by IT corporations.

1
JosipBroz
10/23/2008 12:46:01 PM
as i know,i can to watch the net list without essid.also,essid is not
empty

--
petru4o
petru4o's Profile: http://forums.opensuse.org/member.php?userid=9916
View this thread: http://forums.opensuse.org/showthread.php?t=397840

1
petru4o
10/23/2008 7:56:02 PM
You should try the alternative driver (blacklisting the current one, of
course). If you're using ndiswrapper, try out the 'b43 - Linux Wireless'
(http://linuxwireless.org/en/users/Drivers/b43#supported) alternative --
and the other way round. Also I've seen this error happening when the
wireless switch (button) was off, so please double-check it's on.
Another suggestion I've come across: try running iwlist as root.
And please try to express yourself more clearly, I can hardly
understand your posts...:(

--
*Even if free software were crap*, it should still get our preference
over the non-free crap secreted by IT corporations.
-A free rephrasing of RMS-
JosipBroz's Profile: http://forums.opensuse.org/member.php?userid=4188
View this thread: http://forums.opensuse.org/showthread.php?t=397840

-1
JosipBroz
10/23/2008 9:06:02 PM
Also, do you have a hidden ESSID ? if so, have a look in the stickies
for paulh's contribution

Andy

--
To be is to do = Immanuel Kant
To do is to be = Descartes.

SuSE user since 7.0,Linux user since 1994
deltaflyer44's Profile: http://forums.opensuse.org/member.php?userid=95
View this thread: http://forums.opensuse.org/showthread.php?t=397840

-1
deltaflyer44
10/24/2008 6:46:01 AM
Glad you made it work:)
Can you tell us how you did it?

--
*Even if free software were crap*, it should still get our preference
over the non-free crap secreted by IT corporations.
-A free rephrasing of RMS-
JosipBroz's Profile: http://forums.opensuse.org/member.php?userid=4188
View this thread: http://forums.opensuse.org/showthread.php?t=397840

-1
JosipBroz
10/24/2008 8:26:02 PM
sank you,people!all working right!
also,sorry for my english.becoase I live in Ukraine and I have not
oportunity to have some practic in it

--
petru4o
petru4o's Profile: http://forums.opensuse.org/member.php?userid=9916
View this thread: http://forums.opensuse.org/showthread.php?t=397840

-1
petru4o
10/24/2008 8:26:02 PM
Cool, Glad you got it working. Now enjoy :)

Andy

--
To be is to do = Immanuel Kant
To do is to be = Descartes.
Do be do be do = Frank Sinatra

SuSE user since 7.0,Linux user since 1994
deltaflyer44's Profile: http://forums.opensuse.org/member.php?userid=95
View this thread: http://forums.opensuse.org/showthread.php?t=397840

1
deltaflyer44
10/25/2008 7:26:02 AM
I just installed b43.then I rebooted my laptop.And when I power on
him,led of wifi was shining.And I found my wifi network.

--
petru4o
petru4o's Profile: http://forums.opensuse.org/member.php?userid=9916
View this thread: http://forums.opensuse.org/showthread.php?t=397840

-1
petru4o
10/25/2008 11:26:01 PM
Hi everybody. I'm really desperate to find some advice (step by step) as
to how to get my WNIC from dell (mini pci wlan 1390) which uses the
driver "bcmwl5.inf" working here.

I do not have a direct (eth cable) connection to internet. I only have
internet access through windows (wifi). So once i get into UBUNTU system
i won't be able to connect to make any upgrades on Synaptic Manager. I
can however restart and boot Windows system again and DL any necessary
data.

I'm very noob at Ubuntu but I am experienced on Cisco platform and OS.
I know it might not mean anything here (ubuntu world) but I'm a Cisco
Certified (CCNP) and the CLI language is similar.

--
isendel
isendel's Profile: http://forums.opensuse.org/member.php?userid=24251
View this thread: http://forums.opensuse.org/showthread.php?t=397840

1
isendel
3/11/2009 12:26:01 AM
isendel wrote:
> Hi everybody. I'm really desperate to find some advice (step by step) as
> to how to get my WNIC from dell (mini pci wlan 1390) which uses the
> driver "bcmwl5.inf" working here.
>
> I do not have a direct (eth cable) connection to internet. I only have
> internet access through windows (wifi). So once i get into UBUNTU system
> i won't be able to connect to make any upgrades on Synaptic Manager. I
> can however restart and boot Windows system again and DL any necessary
> data.
>
> I'm very noob at Ubuntu but I am experienced on Cisco platform and OS.
> I know it might not mean anything here (ubuntu world) but I'm a Cisco
> Certified (CCNP) and the CLI language is similar.

You should not use the Windows driver for the DW1390. The in-kernel driver works
very well. I know because I'm using one right now! If you were an openSUSE user,
we have very specific instructions that work for your situation. For Ubuntu, you
need to go to http://linuxwireless.org/en/users/Drivers/b43#firmwareinstallation
and follow the instructions there. It is likely that you will need to compile
the program b43-fwcutter.

Larry
1
Larry
3/11/2009 2:31:43 AM
Thx for the quick reply. As I said, I don't have physical access to the
router (ethernet cable).  I will not be able to connect from UBUNTU
system. And also I am very noob at this yet. I, as well as a lot of
other unsatisfied windows users, are looking for alternatives but this
is really not user friendly at all. It's a pitty. I am extremely
stubborn which is the only reason why i'v been at this for 2 consecutive
days. That is the difference between Windows and Linux. Difficulty for
everything. :'(

--
isendel
isendel's Profile: http://forums.opensuse.org/member.php?userid=24251
View this thread: http://forums.opensuse.org/showthread.php?t=397840

-1
isendel
3/11/2009 3:46:01 AM
isendel wrote:
> Thx for the quick reply. As I said, I don't have physical access to the
> router (ethernet cable).  I will not be able to connect from UBUNTU
> system. And also I am very noob at this yet. I, as well as a lot of
> other unsatisfied windows users, are looking for alternatives but this
> is really not user friendly at all. It's a pitty. I am extremely
> stubborn which is the only reason why i'v been at this for 2 consecutive
> days. That is the difference between Windows and Linux. Difficulty for
> everything. :'(

If Broadcom participated in Linux development the same way as it does with
Windows, there wouldn't be a problem.

If you read what I wrote, you can download the parts that you need with Windoze,
sneakernet them to Ubuntu and do the installation. If you cannot install a
compiler from Ubuntu without network access, then you need to get a real distro.
1
Larry
3/11/2009 3:50:31 AM
Thx again for your help. Getting the files into UBUNTU system won't be a
problem. I can use a pendrive after downloading it with windows xp. My
laptop has both systems installed. What I really need to know is a step
by step "NOOB" procedure. I am not familiar with most of the terms. I
will eventually and gradually be more into UBUNTU but first i need that
stupid driver working. Plz give me a step by step procedure for me to do
this. I don't want to quit on UBUNTU and i really dislike the unstable
world of windows.

--
isendel
isendel's Profile: http://forums.opensuse.org/member.php?userid=24251
View this thread: http://forums.opensuse.org/showthread.php?t=397840

1
isendel
3/11/2009 4:56:01 AM
The web address I gave you has step-by-step instructions.

If you switch to openSUSE, it only takes two commands.
-1
Larry
3/11/2009 5:20:45 AM
Dude i'm very greatful for your replies. Extremely. But I am very noob
in Linux. I have Ubuntu becuase of it's philosophy. If u'd read the
first 4 short paragraphs of the Ubuntu Pocket Guide on page 16 (XVi)
u'll c that I am the Baffled newcomer and that it's not the Stallman you
are dealing with (unfortunately).

In other words I have been reading for about 48 hours to find answers
and I have concluded that the only quick and easy solution is to get the
old version 8.04.2 of Ubuntu. Believe me when I say I have visited over
10 forums searching for answers and I have read a lot of crap from
disappointed linux users. Disappointed B/C of the level of "techie" u
must reach to be able to complete simple tasks that are accomplished in
Windows by doing a few steps.

--
isendel
isendel's Profile: http://forums.opensuse.org/member.php?userid=24251
View this thread: http://forums.opensuse.org/showthread.php?t=397840

-1
isendel
3/11/2009 7:16:02 AM
Dude,

You are a real piece of work. You are not an openSUSE user but you use
our Forum, then ***** because we cannot provide you with a one click
solution. On top of that, you show no sense of Forum behavior by
hijacking someone else's thread.

I hope Ubuntu 8.04 works for you as you will get no further help from
me. If not, enjoy the Blue Screens of Death and the constant rebooting.

Larry

--
lwfinger
lwfinger's Profile: http://forums.opensuse.org/member.php?userid=3446
View this thread: http://forums.opensuse.org/showthread.php?t=397840

-1
lwfinger
3/11/2009 2:56:01 PM
First. Sorry for any trouble I might have caused or disconfort. I simply
saw the ''wlan:interface doesn't support scanning:networkdown'' thread
and decided that this was a good place to start since it's the same msg
I get. Second, I have in no way insulted anyone, especially you ,the
only one that has TRIED helping so far. Third, the only reason I came up
to this forum is because the software is Linux based as well as UBUNTU,
Red Hat or any of the other ditros. Lastly, thx again for the help. God
bless you. I
will bother no more and won't even consider coming back to this forum
so there is no need to reply.

--
isendel
isendel's Profile: http://forums.opensuse.org/member.php?userid=24251
View this thread: http://forums.opensuse.org/showthread.php?t=397840

1
isendel
3/11/2009 7:36:01 PM
@isendel: First of all I'd recommend you to open a new thread, as the
initial problem in this one is already solved. Next, please try to
describe your problem as specific as possible (from your above post I
just axtracted that you are now able to get a signal)... ;)
Thanks for being patient - sometimes it takes awhile until someone
replies. As for your new thread: Please use a thread title that maches
your problem.

-*TheMask.*-

--
*-Stop crying, emo...-*