Wireless connection lost when laptop lid is closed

Hi,

I am facing a problem in that when I close the lid of my laptop(Dell
studio xps) after a while the wifi connection is lost.

I want to close the laptop lid at night if I am downloading something
and let it run and complete the downloads.

I do not want to keep the lid open, cos obviously I will not be able to
sleep with the laptop in the same room.

I have setup the profile to not do anything when the lid is closed but
wifi connection is lost.

Can anyone help me out with this?

Regards,
Prad

--
Prad_viking

Prad
3/27/2012 4:36:03 PM
opensuse.network.wireless 2348 articles. 0 followers. Follow

On 03/27/2012 11:36 AM, Prad viking wrote:

> Hi,
>
> I am facing a problem in that when I close the lid of my laptop(Dell
> studio xps) after a while the wifi connection is lost.
>
> I want to close the laptop lid at night if I am downloading something
> and let it run and complete the downloads.
>
> I do not want to keep the lid open, cos obviously I will not be able to
> sleep with the laptop in the same room.
>
> I have setup the profile to not do anything when the lid is closed but
> wifi connection is lost.
>
> Can anyone help me out with this?

You missed something in the profile. When I close the lid on mine, the wifi
connection keeps on going. All mine does is turn off the backlight on the
display. You set that in System Settings => Power Management.

0
Larry
3/27/2012 6:44:42 PM
Prad_viking;2451720 Wrote:
> Hi,
>
> I am facing a problem in that when I close the lid of my laptop(Dell
> studio xps) after a while the wifi connection is lost.
>
> I want to close the laptop lid at night if I am downloading something
> and let it run and complete the downloads.
>
> I do not want to keep the lid open, cos obviously I will not be able to
> sleep with the laptop in the same room.
>
> I have setup the profile to not do anything when the lid is closed but
> wifi connection is lost.
>
> Can anyone help me out with this?
>
> Regards,
> Prad

Hello Prad,

would you be able to sleep and would the laptop be able to continue
downloading
if you just let the screen turn off (for example after 1 minute without
action of you)
and let the (dark) laptop open?

Regards
Martin

--
https://users.opensuse.org/show/pistazienfresser
pistazienfresser's Profile: http://forums.opensuse.org/member.php?userid=10227

0
pistazienfresser
3/27/2012 7:16:02 PM
@lwfinger,

I have set the screen to turn off, but I have set the option to "Do
nothing" for the laptop lid closed option.

Hi Martin,

Yes I can sleep with the laptop screen turned off. That is what I have
been doing. But the problem is that since I have a Dell Studio XPS, when
the screen is open it covers 50% of the air vent near the rear of the
laptop which makes the laptop heat up. Thats the reason I am trying to
find out why my wi-fi is getting disconnected.

Thanks,
Prad

--
Prad_viking
Prad_viking's Profile: http://forums.opensuse.org/member.php?userid=66210
View this thread: http://forums.opensuse.org/showthread.php?t=473833

0
Prad
3/28/2012 6:36:03 PM
You must be missing something setting this up.
The power management should prevent anything happening when you close
the lid (if you set it that way)
I'd be inclined to have my screen switch off in the scenario you
describe.

--
Box: 12.1 | KDE 4.8.1 | AMD 64 X2 5200+ | nVidia 8500GT | 4GB RAM
Lap #1: 12.1 | Duo T4300 | KDE4.8.1 | Intel M4 Graphics | Lenovo G550 |
View this thread: http://forums.opensuse.org/showthread.php?t=473833

0
caf4926
3/28/2012 6:46:03 PM
these are the settings I have:

Dim Display : after 6 mins
Screen Energy Saving: switch off after 10 mins
Button Events handling: when laptp lid closed -> Do nothing.

Still aint working.

--
Prad_viking
Prad_viking's Profile: http://forums.opensuse.org/member.php?userid=66210
View this thread: http://forums.opensuse.org/showthread.php?t=473833

0
Prad
3/28/2012 7:06:02 PM
Prad_viking;2452052 Wrote:
> [...]
> Yes I can sleep with the laptop screen turned off. That is what I have
> been doing. But the problem is that since I have a Dell Studio XPS, when
> the screen is open it covers 50% of the air vent near the rear of the
> laptop which makes the laptop heat up.[...]
In my amateurish way of thinking I would try to put two books of the
same thickness under the laptop while you do not need if for writing -
especially if there are also ventilation slots under the laptop and you
could stabilize the laptop but leave these slots in the breach between
the books.

And if the closing of the laptop does really end the WLAN and there is
no way to change that via software (maybe a hardware switch in the hinge
or somewhere that is switched by the closing?) - could you just leave
the lid a centimeter open without shutting the WLAN down?

Did you try to reduce the power consumption (and so the produced heat)
via the various possible ways like using the kernel flavor -default-
instead of -desktop- while you are trying to sleep?

But maybe the experts are able to help you find a way to leave your
WLAN running while the lid is closed (or at least find the cause of the
unwanted shutting down)...

Good luck
Martin

--
https://users.opensuse.org/show/pistazienfresser
pistazienfresser's Profile: http://forums.opensuse.org/member.php?userid=10227
View this thread: http://forums.opensuse.org/showthread.php?t=473833

0
pistazienfresser
3/28/2012 7:26:02 PM
pistazienfresser;2452065 Wrote:
> In my amateurish way of thinking I would try to put two books of the
> same thickness under the laptop while you do not need if for writing -
> especially if there are also ventilation slots under the laptop and you
> could stabilize the laptop but leave these slots in the breach between
> the books.
>
> And if the closing of the laptop does really end the WLAN and there is
> no way to change that via software (maybe a hardware switch in the hinge
> or somewhere that is switched by the closing?) - could you just leave
> the lid a centimeter open without shutting the WLAN down?
>
> Did you try to reduce the power consumption (and so the produced heat)
> via the various possible ways like using the kernel flavor -default-
> instead of -desktop- while you are trying to sleep?
>
> But maybe the experts are able to help you find a way to leave your
> WLAN running while the lid is closed (or at least find the cause of the
> unwanted shutting down)...
>
> Good luck
> Martin

Martin,

I do keep an old defunct WD 1TB hdd under the laptop to keep the laptop
to cool down somewhat. But I live in India and this being summer its
really hot.

and I do not understand your suggestion about using kernel flavour in
default rather than desktop. Could you please explain that to me in
layman terms?

Thanks.

--
Prad_viking
Prad_viking's Profile: http://forums.opensuse.org/member.php?userid=66210
View this thread: http://forums.opensuse.org/showthread.php?t=473833

0
Prad
3/28/2012 8:16:02 PM
Martin is describing using a different kernel. But personally I can't
see that helping. It more likely to confuse you IMO

--
Box: 12.1 | KDE 4.8.1 | AMD 64 X2 5200+ | nVidia 8500GT | 4GB RAM
Lap #1: 12.1 | Duo T4300 | KDE4.8.1 | Intel M4 Graphics | Lenovo G550 |
3GB RAM
Lap#2: 12.1  | KDE 4.8.1 | Celeron 550 | Intel 965GM | Lenovo R61 |
*+EeePC | 11.4 | Gnome*
'My_Guides' (http://tinyurl.com/6cabu2j)
caf4926's Profile: http://forums.opensuse.org/member.php?userid=204
View this thread: http://forums.opensuse.org/showthread.php?t=473833

0
caf4926
3/28/2012 8:26:02 PM
What version of SUSE is it?
Which desktop? kde or gnome
If a torrent client is in use - Which?

--

caf4926;2452084 Wrote:
> Martin is describing using a different kernel. But personally I can't
> see that helping. It more likely to confuse you IMO
I guessed that shutting down the the lid may have influence on the WLAN
even if there is no software issue
- like by influencing the reception of the WLAN antenna(s) that is/are
most probably build in the lid of laptop  - compare for example:
'Low Wireless signal strength WLAN 1510 Studio XPS 1340 - Laptop
General Hardware Forum - Laptop - Dell Community'
(http://tinyurl.com/7a4ghso) with a picture. And so I thought that
reducing the power consumption (for the time of the download) might be a
way to give Prad_viking a better chance for a undisturbed sleep.

But Carl and Larry have far more experience so it is probably better to
follow their advice.

Good luck
Martin

--
https://users.opensuse.org/show/pistazienfresser
pistazienfresser's Profile: http://forums.opensuse.org/member.php?userid=10227
View this thread: http://forums.opensuse.org/showthread.php?t=473833

0
pistazienfresser
3/29/2012 6:06:03 PM
On 03/29/2012 01:06 PM, pistazienfresser wrote:

> caf4926;2452084 Wrote:
>> Martin is describing using a different kernel. But personally I can't
>> see that helping. It more likely to confuse you IMO
> I guessed that shutting down the the lid may have influence on the WLAN
> even if there is no software issue
> - like by influencing the reception of the WLAN antenna(s) that is/are
> most probably build in the lid of laptop  - compare for example:
> 'Low Wireless signal strength WLAN 1510 Studio XPS 1340 - Laptop
> General Hardware Forum - Laptop - Dell Community'
> (http://tinyurl.com/7a4ghso) with a picture. And so I thought that
> reducing the power consumption (for the time of the download) might be a
> way to give Prad_viking a better chance for a undisturbed sleep.
>
> But Carl and Larry have far more experience so it is probably better to
> follow their advice.

AFAIK, the setup of the display system is correct. If the wireless shuts off
when you close the lid, then it is something built into the hardware of the XPS,
or it is a function of dell-wmi. In either case, there is not much we can do.
You will need to find a workaround that does not involve closing the lid.

0
Larry
3/29/2012 6:57:27 PM
Thanks a ton all of you. Really appreciate the help provided by all of
you.

Anyway to come around  this problem, I have created a new profile under
the Power Management which dims the screen brightness all the way down
in just 2 minutes so that by the time I hit the sack the screen is off.
(but I have to remember to activate it every time :( )

--
Prad_viking
Prad_viking's Profile: http://forums.opensuse.org/member.php?userid=66210
View this thread: http://forums.opensuse.org/showthread.php?t=473833

0
Prad
3/29/2012 7:36:03 PM
I just had the same problem.  Typically I close the lid on my laptop and
have it set to turn off the screen.  Then open it up and the wireless
reconnects.  Tonight at my parents, i did this to go eat dinner,
otherwise my new puppy will lay across the keyboard and palmrest cause
they're slightly warm.  When I came back from dinner, picked the puppy
up off the closed laptop (I guess he just considers it his resting pad)
my wireless came up and will not connect.  The symbol by the clock is a
red "no" circle and the only thing I know how to do in the network
connection manager is remove and redo the wireless but that had no
effect either.   I'm fairly new to linux so any help is appreciated.

Using the info in the sticky it shows correctly with the device and
firmware, and the scan (sudo /usr/sbin/iwlist scan) shows:

Code:
--------------------

  cell 02 - Address: 00:24:B2:0D:6A:9A
  Channel:6
  Frequency:2.437 GHz  (Channel 6)
  Quality=65/70  Signal level=-45 dBm
  Encryption key:on
  ESSID:"logcabin"
  Bit Rates:1 Mb/s; 2 Mb/s; 5.5 Mb/s; 11 Mb/s; 18 Mb/s
  24 Mb/s; 36 Mb/s; 54 Mb/s
  Bit Rates:6 Mb/s; 9 Mb/s; 12 Mb/s; 48 Mb/s
  Mode:Master
  Extra:tsf=0000018b9520b102
  Extra: Last beacon: 3152ms ago
  IE: Unknown: 00086C6F67636162696E
  IE: Unknown: 010882848B962430486C
  IE: Unknown: 030106
  IE: Unknown: 2A0100
  IE: Unknown: 2F0100
  IE: Unknown: 32040C121860
  IE: Unknown: DD090010180201F0000000
  IE: Unknown: DD180050F2020101800003A4000027A4000042435E0062322F00

--------------------

that's the SSID for my parents wireless.  I was connected and doing a
college course before dinner.  I need to reconnect and finish that
course by tomorrow night for full credit.

The sticky also said that I could delete the wirelss and reboot to have
Suse recognize the wireless again and reconnect.  How do I do that?

My stuff:
Dell Inspiron n5010
Centrino Wireless N
OpenSuse 12.1 KDE (updated as of 4/1/12)

--
neslot
neslot's Profile: http://forums.opensuse.org/member.php?userid=66851
View this thread: http://forums.opensuse.org/showthread.php?t=473833

0
neslot
4/7/2012 4:26:02 AM
I fixed my problem.  After reading the stickies and the thread that
Oldpcu had on his broadcom wireless, I logged in as root, went to
etc/networkmanager/ and deleted a text file there (can't remember the
name and it's not in my trash) then went to
etc/networkmanager/system-connections/ and deleted the text file for my
parents SSID.  Then opened network manager, scanned for wireless and it
found my parent's wap again.  I'm connected once more and off doing
horrid homework assignments :)

--
neslot
neslot's Profile: http://forums.opensuse.org/member.php?userid=66851
View this thread: http://forums.opensuse.org/showthread.php?t=473833

0
neslot

Wireless Network card bus and USB Wireless Network devices
After setting up and connecting to the network through a wireless USB adapter I restart the machine and get the Netware client login window but are unable to login. If I login onto the XP workstation only the wireless USB adapter then establishes a link, I can then login to the network. In a school environment this is not a good solution. Is this a Windows driver issue? Is there an easy fix? Thanks > Is this a Windows driver issue? It's an issue with the USB Adapter driver and client. It must initialize before loading the desktop. If it's not the case, you need ...

Win XP Laptop & wireless connection into nw65 network
I replaced a desktop with a laptop on a NW 6.5 network. The laptop runs XP Pro and has a built-in wireless adaptor. The client wanted a wireless printer so I installed an HP 6840 printer that has a wireless connection. I ran into a new problem where I cannot connect to the printer while connected to the Netware network. I was told, Windows will not allow TCP/IP and IPS/SPX connections to exist simultaneously. I'm not comfortable changing the network to IP because I haven't had a lot of experience with it and I don't want to cause a bigger problem than I already hav...

Wireless network without a wireless router?
I understand it is possible to create a wireless network without the use of a wireless router by using a wifi network card. I have wifi card working with openSUSE 11.4 (driver installed, device detected correctly and I have internet access) but how do I setup a wireless network in my home so that other devices such as my netbook can connect to the wireless network? I use NetworkManager but I can use ifup if needed. Thanks for any help. -- echoes- ------------------------------------------------------------------------ On 09/29/2011 04:06 AM, echoes- wrote: > > ...

Wireless does not connect on Laptop without Mains adaptor connected
I have a Toshiba with an Atheros AR5008 wireless and using openSUSE 12.1. I have used this combination thru several openSUSE OS's and several years without problems until now! At boot the connection starts OK with the mains adaptor connected however with a fully charged battery but WITHOUT the adaptor connected, the wireless will not connect. My wireless router is a netgear a/b/g/n dual band auto switcher and when it is connected works very well. I used to be able to use <rcnetwork start> to get it reconnected but now it seems that doesn't work anymore - it directs to...

Wireless Network Connection
I have a cisco 2600 lan controller connected to 5 cisco aironet 1130ag access points, I am running a Netware 6.5 sp5 server and my clients are windows xp pro sp2 with client 4.91 sp4. I can connect to the wireless aps, i receive the dhcp info just fine, i can browse the web and check my groupwise email account, however i can not connect to the netware server! does anyone know what i may be missing as far as configuration? any help is greatly appreciated. thank you, A few questions: Can you attach to the server with a wired connection with the same XP machine? Are yo...

connecting to a wireless network
Hi all. this is my first day with OpenSuse 11.1. i have three computers running Ubuntu and after many failed attempts to install Kubuntu on my four year old dell laptop i was able to install opensuse. what i'm having a problem with is enabling my wireless card and connecting to my home network. i was looking around the applications menu and in the hardware list my truemobile 802.11g card appears it just isn't active. this is also my first time working with KDE. -- messyhair42 ------------------------------------------------------------------------ messyhair42 wrot...

No wireless network connection
I have tried to establish a wireless connection for a box in my lan in a inaccessible place for a wired connection. I have used ndiswrapper and the win xp driver for my Siemens Gigaset 108 usb adapter. I succeeded to configure the connection using SSID and WPA-PSK key. The computer can see the network, My Speedtouch 780 modem can see the computer but says the connection is inactive. When I try to connect it keeps asking for my WPA key, although a 63 character key is filled in already. My real key consists of 10 characters. When I fill in my key, no connection is established and the w...

Wireless network connect
Greetings How do you connect a wireless workstation NWClient 4.9 SP2 to a Netware 6 server. Flavian Duplicate posting. -- Edison Ortiz Novell Product Support Forum SysOp (No Email Support, Thanks !) ...

Connecting to wireless network
Hello all. I am having some trouble connecting to my wireless network. I have just recently reinstalled suse after a long hiatus, and am a little confused. Let me know if you need any information, and I will try and get it to you. Thanks for the help in advance! -- azezpz1 ------------------------------------------------------------------------ On 01/10/2010 10:16 PM, azezpz1 wrote: > > Hello all. I am having some trouble connecting to my wireless network. > I have just recently reinstalled suse after a long hiatus, and am a > little confused. > ...

Network Manager won't connect to wireless connection
hello I just noticed this today, it worked fine when I first installed suse but now it doesn't. Network Manager will scan and show the available networks alright it just wont connect...I just get Wlan Disconnected when it shouldn't be. I don't even "get the gear turning" on the network manager icon just nothing at all. also I did have compat wireless installed (automatically not on my own merit) and nothing worked at all till I uninstalled it now I have this problem..there wouldn't be any dependencies from compat that would causing this would there? hope you...

The KDE Network Monitor requires 3 reboots before being able to connect to wireless network.
After installing 11.4, I need to type in the command to update the firmware for a broadcom wifi adapter. Then I needed to reboot, twice, before the system knew to use the adapter (where the adapter wifi light goes from orange to blue). Then I needed to add my wireless network and type in my key. But the key does not take. If I click on my wireless network icon, it just re-asks for the key and does not connect nor give any other message. Network icon continues to display no connection. So I need to reboot again. When the system starts again, the adapter is blue, I click on ...

Problem connecting wireless network
I have installed the driver for Ralink 2561 from the kmp-package, and put the firmware files in the /lib/firmware folder. I can se other networks including my own in network manager, but when I try to connect, it stops when it comes to IP configuration. Does anybody have a clue what this is about? -- Dag R ---oslo grün OpenSUSE 10.3 x86_64 have you read through the stickies in the wireless section ? some good info there.BTW,this would have been better posted in the wireless section Andy -- To be is to do = Immanuel Kant To do is to be = Descartes. Do be do be do...

cannot connect to my wireless home network?
hello i am new to linux and when i installed Suse 11.1 i cannot connect to my home network,on my home network my daughter is using windows vista and i have an apple minimac,could you please explain in idiot proof terms how to connect to the internet please as i really want to break away from windows and i like the look of Suse? thank you in advance. -- geordiejohn ------------------------------------------------------------------------ Did you go through the following? 'Getting Your Wireless to Work - openSUSE Forums' (http://tinyurl.com/cwx2vt) 'My wirele...

Automatically connecting to wireless network
Just moved over to openSUSE 11.4 (KDE) from Ubuntu, yesterday. However, I'm having some trouble with my wireless connection. I have a wireless network with a hidden SSID and WPA2-PSK security. I entered all the nescery information into the KDE network manager, but it couldn't find my network. So I ran the usual command: Code: -------------------- su -c iwlist wlan0 scanning essid [My SSID] -------------------- At which point, the network manager immediately found, and connected to, the network. However, it seems that I have to run this command (as root) each ...

Web resources about - Wireless connection lost when laptop lid is closed - opensuse.network.wireless

Complex Regional Pain Syndrome: CPRS researchers study auditory connection
For 16 years Kerry Whyman ``secretly&quot; thought she had bone cancer and was dying secretly because she'd stopped telling doctors how much ...

Fictional Lawyers Use Their Family Connections Too
This film character had a family connection to his lawyer.

This Is How Facebook Is Working to Improve Experience On Slower Connections
... the globe, that’s not their situation . In recent years, Facebook has paid close attention to its user experience on 2G and other slow connections. ...

Addappt now lets you block contacts and connections
... gives you even more control than before. New features Block a current contact from connecting if they use Addappt down the road Block a connection ...

Is There A Connection Between Patrick Murphy's Over-The-Top Corruption And His Campaign Emails?
The DCCC may be stupid or even very stupid (as well as utterly incompetent) but their e-mail strategy is very well-planned out. Their overarching ...