Realtek Wireless RTL8187B is unavailable after suspending, must reboot. 12.1

Suspending or hibernating makes my wifi totally unavailable without
rebooting. Tried a couple tricks that don't work. Otherwise it works
beautifully. Kind of a big issue on a laptop though. I posted this issue
on the 11.4 32 bit install, but decided to move up to 12.1 with Gnome
3.

Bus 001 Device 003: ID 0bda:8189 Realtek Semiconductor Corp. RTL8187B
Wireless 802.11g 54Mbps Network Adapter

--
Shadowolf7

Shadowolf7
4/4/2012 4:06:02 AM
opensuse.network.wireless 2348 articles. 0 followers. Follow

On 04/03/2012 11:06 PM, Shadowolf7 wrote:

> Suspending or hibernating makes my wifi totally unavailable without
> rebooting. Tried a couple tricks that don't work. Otherwise it works
> beautifully. Kind of a big issue on a laptop though. I posted this issue
> on the 11.4 32 bit install, but decided to move up to 12.1 with Gnome
> 3.
>
> Bus 001 Device 003: ID 0bda:8189 Realtek Semiconductor Corp. RTL8187B
> Wireless 802.11g 54Mbps Network Adapter

As root, you need to create a file named /etc/pm/sleep.d/66_rtl8187 that
contains the following:

[code]
#!/bin/bash
case $1 in
     hibernate)
         echo "Suspending to disk!"
	/sbin/modprobe -r rtl8187
         ;;
     suspend)
         echo "Suspending to RAM!"
	/sbin/modprobe -r rtl8187
         ;;
     thaw)
         echo "Resuming from disk..."
	/sbin/modprobe rtl8187
         ;;
     resume)
         echo "Resuming from RAM..."
	/sbin/modprobe rtl8187
         ;;
     *)  echo "somebody is calling me totally wrong."
         ;;
esac
[/code]

After the file has been created, then 'chmod a+x /etc/pm/sleep.d/66_rtl8187'.

Once the procedure has been tested, you could remove the echo statements that
precede the modprobe lines if you want to make it quieter.

I cannot guarantee that this will fix your suspend/resume problems, but it will
remove rtl8187 from the equation.
0
Larry
4/4/2012 3:52:39 PM
Ok. I have done it and will try suspending.

--
Shadowolf7
Shadowolf7's Profile: http://forums.opensuse.org/member.php?userid=54080

0
Shadowolf7
4/5/2012 5:56:03 PM
You rock! That worked perfectly! YAY!

Though we fixed it, from what I gather it shouldn't be acting that way.
Should I file a bug report?

--
Shadowolf7
Shadowolf7's Profile: http://forums.opensuse.org/member.php?userid=54080
View this thread: http://forums.opensuse.org/showthread.php?t=474072

0
Shadowolf7
4/5/2012 6:06:02 PM
On 04/05/2012 01:06 PM, Shadowolf7 wrote:

> You rock! That worked perfectly! YAY!
>
> Though we fixed it, from what I gather it shouldn't be acting that way.
> Should I file a bug report?

You may if you wish; however, I will not be able to fix it as my system will not
suspend.

0
Larry
4/6/2012 12:38:22 AM
Well, I don't even really understand this issue but want to make sure
somebody can work on it. Any suggestions?

--
Shadowolf7
Shadowolf7's Profile: http://forums.opensuse.org/member.php?userid=54080
View this thread: http://forums.opensuse.org/showthread.php?t=474072

0
Shadowolf7
4/6/2012 3:46:02 AM
On 04/05/2012 10:46 PM, Shadowolf7 wrote:

> Well, I don't even really understand this issue but want to make sure
> somebody can work on it. Any suggestions?

The command 'modinfo rtl8187' shows 5 authors for this driver. Of those, I am
the only one still active, thus I would probably be the one to fix such problems.
0
Larry
4/6/2012 6:07:59 AM
O! I would never have guessed. I'd be happy to work with you as I can to
debug it.

--
Shadowolf7
Shadowolf7's Profile: http://forums.opensuse.org/member.php?userid=54080
View this thread: http://forums.opensuse.org/showthread.php?t=474072

0
Shadowolf7
4/7/2012 1:06:03 AM
On 04/06/2012 08:06 PM, Shadowolf7 wrote:

> O! I would never have guessed. I'd be happy to work with you as I can to
> debug it.

Unfortunately, my experiences with this kind of remote debugging have never been
very successful. I guess I need to fix whatever is wrong so that my box can
suspend, and then debug rtl8187. I'll add that to my TODO list.
0
Larry

Realtek Wireless RTL8187B is unavailable after suspending, must reboot. 11.4
If I suspend the computer to RAM, wireless capability becomes unavailable from Network Manager. It has also randomly cut off and made itself unavailable once during normal run-time. Bus 001 Device 003: ID 0bda:8189 Realtek Semiconductor Corp. RTL8187B Wireless 802.11g 54Mbps Network Adapter rtl8187 56735 0 mac80211 266082 1 rtl8187 cfg80211 155017 2 rtl8187,mac80211 This is new hardware for me, and an issue I have never seen before. -- Shadowolf7 ------------------------------------------------------------------------ On ...

I have a Dell 1525 lapton, a 1395 wireless card, Suse 12.1 and no wireless
My wireless was working on my laptop with Suse 11.1, but my disk died and I started over with a new disk and 12.1. My wireless now appears dead. I read the sticky "My Wireless doesn't work -- a primer on what to do next". The results of all the tests suggested there follow this message. I don't think it will matter here, but to get the wireless working originally under 11.1, I had to install ndiswrapper and then a Dell driver. Thanks, Larry From /sbin/lspci: 0b:00.0 Network controller: Broadcom Corporation BCM4312 802.11b/g LP-PHY (rev 01) *****...

Wireless Network card bus and USB Wireless Network devices
After setting up and connecting to the network through a wireless USB adapter I restart the machine and get the Netware client login window but are unable to login. If I login onto the XP workstation only the wireless USB adapter then establishes a link, I can then login to the network. In a school environment this is not a good solution. Is this a Windows driver issue? Is there an easy fix? Thanks > Is this a Windows driver issue? It's an issue with the USB Adapter driver and client. It must initialize before loading the desktop. If it's not the case, you need ...

12.1 M5 KDE won't connect to any wireless network
System uses a broadcom legacy chip(not sure which one off the top of my head), but had no issues setting it up successfully with the install_bcm43xx_firmware script. It scans networks and works properly except it cannot actually connect to any of them. Networks tested had WPA, WEP, and no encryption. User credentials were confirmed to be correct by using them on other devices with no issues. Issue exists with both knetworkmanager and ifup. I haven't tested Wicd because I really don't want to use an 11.4 repository on 12.1, though I'm aware that the odds of real damag...

Wireless network without a wireless router?
I understand it is possible to create a wireless network without the use of a wireless router by using a wifi network card. I have wifi card working with openSUSE 11.4 (driver installed, device detected correctly and I have internet access) but how do I setup a wireless network in my home so that other devices such as my netbook can connect to the wireless network? I use NetworkManager but I can use ifup if needed. Thanks for any help. -- echoes- ------------------------------------------------------------------------ On 09/29/2011 04:06 AM, echoes- wrote: > > ...

Problem with wireless connection after updating from 11.1 to 12.1
I had multiple problems with my internet connection when upgrading from opensuse 11.1 to 12.1. (I have 64 bit version). At first I couldn't start up opensuse until I connected my LAN cable. The problem is described here: http://tinyurl.com/7bqh9b7 I solved this issue by updating the NetworkManager. Still some problems remain. I cannot use WLAN: The following things are irritating: 1) The NetworkManager does not start up automatically (no symbol in the task bar). When I plug in the LAN cable the internet works fine (still no symbol from NetworkManager) 2) I want now to...

The KDE Network Monitor requires 3 reboots before being able to connect to wireless network.
After installing 11.4, I need to type in the command to update the firmware for a broadcom wifi adapter. Then I needed to reboot, twice, before the system knew to use the adapter (where the adapter wifi light goes from orange to blue). Then I needed to add my wireless network and type in my key. But the key does not take. If I click on my wireless network icon, it just re-asks for the key and does not connect nor give any other message. Network icon continues to display no connection. So I need to reboot again. When the system starts again, the adapter is blue, I click on ...

compat-wireless on 11.1 from wireless-kernel-org
A good day to everybody. I am running 11.1 My laptop died, I switched to a Lenovo X201 by simply transplanting the HDD. The system runs well but obviously does see neither the wireless nor the ethernet. I am using 99% the wireless and 3G so I can live comfortably without ethernet. The aim of this thread is to help me when problems arise with the installation process. I will have to install: wpa supplicant (last version) iw compat-wireless latest version and a few others. My first question does arise here: Where can I find the directory for the reg.bin file? It should be R...

Verizon wireless with 12.1?
I am thinking of getting Verizon wireless broadband for my Asus X54H, using the little round USB wireless adapter. Any reason this shouldn't work with 12.1, running with no problems at this point? Anything special I need to know? -- BobTheBull ------------------------------------------------------------------------ Been using it for years; wired, wireless, different routers, different usb, different cards, laptops, desktop, tablets, opensuse, windows and android phones. No problems. -- Any sufficiently advanced technology is indistinguishable from magic. - ...

Wireless Problems after upgrade to 12.1
Hi everyone. I just updated my opensuse installation to 12.1 and I gotta say I already like it. Most of the things are working immediatly, however my wireless is somewhat more of a problem since its a broadcom. lspci gives the following: 02:00.0 Network controller: Broadcom Corporation BCM43224 802.11a/b/g/n (rev 01) so i added the pacman repository and installed b43-firmware. Afterwards I ran some command in /usr/sbin to install the correct broadcom drivers (forgot the name). This completed succesfully. grepping dmesg for Broadcom gives [ 18.377104] b43-phy1: Broadcom 432...

Wireless disconnecting randomly on 12.1
I have a laptop with openSUSE 12.1 32-bit and wireless card Broadcom bcm4312. Installed b43 driver from usr/sbin/install_bcm43xx_firmware, and works but it randomly disconnects and connects, very often. Then It stabilizes but only after a while. Tried even b43 driver from Packman, and same issue. Then I remembered I had no problems back on 11.4, so I downloaded the rpm for 11.4 repo, which version is 4.174.64.19-3.pm.3.1. Keeps disconnecting, although much less often. What's happening? Anyone knows? I wouldn't like to return to 11.4 just because of this. And just out of...

groupwise wireless 1.1
If is possible to install GW wireless 1.1 in gw5.5 without having the enhancement pack installed? No. -- Barry Merchant NSC Volunteer SysOp *** no email unless requested please!! *** ...

wireless disable in network manager on 11.1
how do I enable my wireless in network manager? -- kobolds ------------------------------------------------------------------------ ...

Wireless connection was working on 11.4 but not 12.1
Hi all. I have a laptop which was running OpenSUSE 11.4 and wireless was working fine (built-in card). I recently upgraded to 12.1, and now can't get it working. I've tried Google and these forums, with no success. I am using the KDE desktop. NetworkManager appears to be running (the icon shows up in the tray), but the "Enable Networking" checkbox is unchecked at boot, and always reverts to that. Here is the output of lspci -nnk: Code: -------------------- 0e:00.0 Network controller [0280]: Atheros Communication Inc. AR928X Wireless Network Adapter (PCI-...

Web resources about - Realtek Wireless RTL8187B is unavailable after suspending, must reboot. 12.1 - opensuse.network.wireless

Iran releases Americans in breakthrough prisoner exchange
VIENNA (AP) — Four Americans detained in Iran will be coming home and seven Iranians in U.S. custody also will win their freedom in a breakthrough ...

Australian aid workers abducted by extremists in Burkina Faso, officials say
An Australian couple have been abducted in northern Burkina Faso, according to local government officials. The news comes after Burkina Faso ...

Jeb Bush Finds His Groove in Donald Trump’s Shadow
The question came from the audience, but it might as well have come from inside Jeb Bush’s own brain: “Why would you want to be President of ...

FX CEO John Landgraf updates his forecast on 'too much TV,' talks Netflix
The man who ignited the “too much television” discussion six months ago has an update to his thoughts on the state of television.FX Chief Executive ...

Jakarta attacks claim third victim: police
The militant attacks in Indonesia's capital have claimed a third victim, with a man dying overnight from gunshot wounds to the head, police said ...

Her lead all but gone in Iowa, Hillary Clinton deploys Bill to win over voters
Los Angeles Times Her lead all but gone in Iowa, Hillary Clinton deploys Bill to win over voters Los Angeles Times Former President Clinton ...

Windows Phone's Word Flow keyboard is coming to 'other platforms' starting with iOS
Kareem Anderson / WinBeta : Windows Phone's Word Flow keyboard is coming to ‘other platforms’ starting with iOS — Piece by piece it looks like ...

Hawaii woman heard 2 booms on night Marine choppers crashed
Los Angeles Times Hawaii woman heard 2 booms on night Marine choppers crashed Miami Herald A retiree who lives across the street from a Hawaii ...

Bernie Sanders backs away from 2005 gun vote
CNN Bernie Sanders backs away from 2005 gun vote CNN Our Terms of Service and Privacy Policy Have Changed. By using this site, you agree to ...

PM Modi unveils Start-up India action plan with slew of measures
Prime Minister Modi announced on Saturday a string of initiatives to support the country’s start-ups, including three years of tax and compliance ...