Connecting to public wireless, but no internet (please don't dismiss as a simpleton posting!)

Hi everyone,
I'm really struggling with a wireless internet connection here. I'm on
opensuse 11.3 connecting to an open wirelss network. I set up the
connection with network manager, it connects quickly and the signal is
good. However, I have no internet (I know, common problem, I've tried
everything though...).

sudo /sbin/ifconfig:

eth1      Link encap:Ethernet  HWaddr 00:1B:FC:0B:FC:C8
UP BROADCAST MULTICAST  MTU:1500  Metric:1
collisions:0 txqueuelen:1000
RX bytes:0 (0.0 b)  TX bytes:0 (0.0 b)
Interrupt:28 Base address:0xe000

lo        Link encap:Local Loopback
inet addr:127.0.0.1  Mask:255.0.0.0
inet6 addr: ::1/128 Scope:Host
UP LOOPBACK RUNNING  MTU:16436  Metric:1
collisions:0 txqueuelen:0
RX bytes:46300 (45.2 Kb)  TX bytes:46300 (45.2 Kb)

wlan0     Link encap:Ethernet  HWaddr 00:1B:77:02:A9:6B
inet addr:10.64.124.49  Bcast:10.64.124.255
Mask:255.255.255.0
collisions:0 txqueuelen:1000
RX bytes:856838 (836.7 Kb)  TX bytes:199728 (195.0 Kb)

sudo /sbin/route -n

Kernel IP routing table
Destination     Gateway         Genmask         Flags Metric Ref    Use
Iface
10.64.124.0     0.0.0.0         255.255.255.0   U     2      0        0
wlan0
127.0.0.0       0.0.0.0         255.0.0.0       U     0      0        0
lo
0.0.0.0         10.64.124.49    0.0.0.0         UG    0      0        0
wlan0 # I added this line to my routing table manaully just to see if it
would work
0.0.0.0         10.64.124.1     0.0.0.0         UG    0      0        0
wlan0

cat /etc/resolv.conf
(a bunch of stuff....and then:)
search hydro.local
nameserver 10.64.120.2

I've experimented with disabling network manager and going with ifup,
and have tried a few other things, notably:
sudo /sbin/netconfig update -f
sudo /sbin/rcnetwork restart

The result is the same: the wifi connection is successful, but no
internet, *USUALLY*. Here's the rub: I use chrome and get an error 118
(connection timeout), but if I refresh enough times, usually once or
twice each day I will actually be properly redirected to my network's
signin page. I can enter my username and pass, but after this stage the
connection has died again and I can no longer open any other pages. This
part is especially confusing.
Any suggestions are welcome. I'll check frequently and make sure I post
any requested output. But please help, I justed started a new job but
haven't been able to do anything in my first two days, since I can't
connect to their network! Thank you.

--
tbinnington

tbinnington
3/27/2012 7:56:03 PM
opensuse.network.wireless 2348 articles. 0 followers. Follow

I meant to add, that everywhere else my wireless works fine. Here is the
relevant line of /sbin/lspci:
02:00.0 Network Controller: Intel Corporation PRO/Wireless
3945ABG....(etc etc)

iwconfig returns the expected output, and confirms that I am in fact
connected to the SSID that I think I am
iwlist scan returns a long list of SSIDs in range (actually all the
same one, but I think there are several wireless routers near me on the
same network). I don't think the actual output from these is relevant,
but let me know if you'd like it posted. Thanks.

--
tbinnington
tbinnington's Profile: http://forums.opensuse.org/member.php?userid=66936

0
tbinnington
3/27/2012 8:06:02 PM
You give us a fair amount of information. That is good. But you did not
post between CODE tags, which makes the reading difficult:
http://tinyurl.com/2wwx7l9

Then about you saying "no connection to the internet". You failed to
prove that. You only have an application (chrome) that gives an error,
but you do not tell what you asked chrome to do.

To test if your system can reach the internet:

Code:
--------------------
    ping 173.194.78.94
--------------------

Interrupt this after some time (a few seconds) with Ctrl-C. And see
what it says.

It could be that you can not resolve names. Check that with

Code:
--------------------
    nslookup www.google.com
--------------------

When you do not get a good resolution there you should go fort checking
your DNS server. I see that you have 10.64.120.2 as DNS server, which is
on a different network then your own 10.64.124.0/24. This can be
correct.

What is definitely wrong is your added default route because you did
not remove the original and thus  now have two of them and who knows
which one is used.

--
Henk van Velden
hcvv's Profile: http://forums.opensuse.org/member.php?userid=180
View this thread: http://forums.opensuse.org/showthread.php?t=473845

0
hcvv
3/27/2012 8:16:03 PM
Hi, thank you for your reply, sorry about the tags. Here is the default
output of route -n:

Code:
--------------------

  Kernel IP routing table
  Destination     Gateway         Genmask         Flags Metric Ref    Use Iface
  10.64.124.0     0.0.0.0           255.255.255.0   U     2      0        0 wlan0
  127.0.0.0        0.0.0.0           255.0.0.0          U     0      0        0 lo
  0.0.0.0           10.64.124.1     0.0.0.0            UG    0      0        0 wlan0

--------------------

and the output of your requested ping command:

Code:
--------------------
    From 10.64.124.1: icmp_seq=1 Packet filtered
  From 10.64.124.1 icmp_seq=1 Packet filtered
  From 10.64.124.1 icmp_seq=2 Packet filtered
  From 10.64.124.1 icmp_seq=3 Packet filtered
  From 10.64.124.1 icmp_seq=4 Packet filtered
  ^C
  --- 173.194.78.94 ping statistics ---
  4 packets transmitted, 0 received, +5 errors, 100% packet loss, time 3001ms

--------------------

...and the nslookup command:

Code:
--------------------
    Server:  10.64.120.2
  Address: 10.64.120.2#53
  Non-authoritative answer:
  Name: google.com
  Address: 173.194.43.2
  Name: google.com
  Address: 173.194.43.7
  Name: google.com
  Address: 173.194.43.6
  Name: google.com
  Address: 173.194.43.1
  Name: google.com
  Address: 173.194.43.4
  Name: google.com
  Address: 173.194.43.8
  Name: google.com
  Address: 173.194.43.14
  Name: google.com
  Address: 173.194.43.5
  Name: google.com
  Address: 173.194.43.0
  Name: google.com
  Address: 173.194.43.3
  Name: google.com
  Address: 173.194.43.9

--------------------

Thank you again, let me know what I can do to help.

--
tbinnington
tbinnington's Profile: http://forums.opensuse.org/member.php?userid=66936
View this thread: http://forums.opensuse.org/showthread.php?t=473845

0
tbinnington
3/27/2012 8:36:02 PM
From your posted information,
It looks like you indeed have a working network connection and have
been issued an IP address... And as you speculate I also suspect that
the AP is blocking access for other reasons.

Here is a shot in the dark which could work...
Considering this is a Public WiFi (as you describe) it's more than
likely that the AP itself is doing the authentication... So I recommend
pointing a web browser directly to the IP address of the AP which
appears to be 10.64.124.1.

HTH,
TS

--
tsu2
tsu2's Profile: http://forums.opensuse.org/member.php?userid=2578
View this thread: http://forums.opensuse.org/showthread.php?t=473845

0
tsu2
3/28/2012 2:06:03 AM
It looks as if you are behind a captive portal, and that portal is
poorly setup.

I usually don't have problems, but I did have a similar problem at a
motel last summer, while traveling.  It would sometimes work and
sometimes not work.  But if I rebooted to windows, it worked better on
Windows.

--
-using opensuse 12.1; KDE 4.7.2;-
nrickert's Profile: http://forums.opensuse.org/member.php?userid=49759
View this thread: http://forums.opensuse.org/showthread.php?t=473845

0
nrickert
3/28/2012 2:26:02 AM
While I was sleeping, I see you got some good suggestions allready.

I am not sure if you understand what the results of your posting in
post #3 above mean, but they mean
a) that you do have connection to the intenet (because you can ping a
system on the internet (173.194.78.94, which is btw -'Google'
(http://www.google.nl)-);
b) that the DNS server you use gives you correct results (it can find
the IP addresses of -'Google' (http://www.google.com)- for you).

Do you see that simply jumping to the conclusion "I have no connection
to the internet" because of an error message by one program that can not
reach one HTTP server on the internet is a bit to much?

It thus looks as if some traffic is not working and other traffic is.
This leads to the suggestions by tsu2 and nrickert above.

--
Henk van Velden
hcvv's Profile: http://forums.opensuse.org/member.php?userid=180
View this thread: http://forums.opensuse.org/showthread.php?t=473845

0
hcvv
3/28/2012 8:26:02 AM
hcvv;2451904 Wrote:
> While I was sleeping, I see you got some good suggestions allready.
>
> I am not sure if you understand what the results of your posting in
> post #3 above mean, but they mean
> a) that you do have connection to the intenet (because you can ping a
> system on the internet (173.194.78.94, which is btw -'Google'
> (http://www.google.nl)-);
> b) that the DNS server you use gives you correct results (it can find
> the IP addresses of -'Google' (http://www.google.com)- for you).
>
> Do you see that simply jumping to the conclusion "I have no connection
> to the internet" because of an error message by one program that can not
> reach one HTTP server on the internet is a bit to much?
>
> It thus looks as if some traffic is not working and other traffic is.
> This leads to the suggestions by tsu2 and nrickert above.

Thank you all for your replies. I'm sorry if my conclusion that I
couldn't connect sounded alarmist, but I wasn't sure of a better way to
phrase it that fit in the subject bar. I do understand though that yes,
I have a working connection, and that the problem is deeper than that.

I had some degree of success this morning. I entered the IP address
directly into the address bar, and on the first try, was redirected to
the signin page, which is good. However, once I signed in, all other
pages that I attempted to open resulted in a network timeout (as
before). Reentering the IP address a second time ALSO timed out, which
means that it may have been just coincidence that it loaded the first
time.

As an interesting note, I booted windows on the same laptop and had the
same error. However, using one of the laptops running windows that's
been set up by the company gives me no issues. Does this point to a
particular error? I don't expect that I will be able to ask to have the
AP altered to accomodate me, so I have to find my own way around it....

--
tbinnington
tbinnington's Profile: http://forums.opensuse.org/member.php?userid=66936
View this thread: http://forums.opensuse.org/showthread.php?t=473845

0
tbinnington
3/28/2012 1:26:03 PM
Any more suggestions? One thing that was mentioned was that it may be an
issue in the setup of the wireless AP in the first place: I don't expect
that this can be changed, but if it can, what might I ask the IT experts
to address? Thank you in advance for any help.

--
tbinnington
tbinnington's Profile: http://forums.opensuse.org/member.php?userid=66936
View this thread: http://forums.opensuse.org/showthread.php?t=473845

0
tbinnington
3/28/2012 5:56:03 PM
On 2012-03-28 15:26, tbinnington wrote:
> I had some degree of success this morning. I entered the IP address
> directly into the address bar, and on the first try, was redirected to
> the signin page, which is good. However, once I signed in, all other
> pages that I attempted to open resulted in a network timeout (as

That looks to be a DNS problem. Use another server, like 8.8.8.8

--
Cheers / Saludos,

		Carlos E. R.
		(from 11.4 x86_64 "Celadon" at Telcontar)
0
Carlos
3/29/2012 7:33:06 AM
Interesting. I can fairly reliably be redirected to the public login
page using 8.8.8.8 (I'm not sure what's special about that IP though).
My understanding of a DNS issue is that there is no connection between
the name of a site and it's IP, is that right? But if that's true, I
should be able to access sites based on their IP: I tried entering
google's IP (or one of them), hoping that it would take me there, but I
get the same error. So perhaps the problem runs deeper?

--
tbinnington
tbinnington's Profile: http://forums.opensuse.org/member.php?userid=66936
View this thread: http://forums.opensuse.org/showthread.php?t=473845

0
tbinnington
3/29/2012 2:56:02 PM
On 03/29/2012 09:56 AM, tbinnington wrote:

> Interesting. I can fairly reliably be redirected to the public login
> page using 8.8.8.8 (I'm not sure what's special about that IP though).
> My understanding of a DNS issue is that there is no connection between
> the name of a site and it's IP, is that right? But if that's true, I
> should be able to access sites based on their IP: I tried entering
> google's IP (or one of them), hoping that it would take me there, but I
> get the same error. So perhaps the problem runs deeper?

There IS a connection between the name of a site and its IP. That connection is
what Domain Name Service (DNS) handles.

Based on your questions, I'm not certain that you implemented the 8.8.8.8
correctly. Please state exactly what you did.

If I understand you correctly, this is one of those public network where your
first attempt to connect to the Internet is redirected to a login page and only
when you complete that step can you get to the rest of the net. If my
understanding is correct, do you know the IP of that login page? If you do, then
we will use it later.

By this time, we have all forgotten what had to be done to make networking work
with 11.3; however, there are some steps that analyze the issue. Please report
the results of the following:

[code]
ping -c5 10.64.124.49
ping -c5 <IP of login page>
ping -c5 8.8.8.8
[/code]
0
Larry
3/29/2012 5:25:26 PM
Hi, thank you for your reply. I simply entered 8.8.8.8 in the address
bar of a browser. This is actually no more reliable than any other
method. Sometimes I am redirected, but mostly not (your understanding of
the public network I'm trying to access is correct). Here is the output
that you requested, in the order in which you requested it:

Code:
--------------------

  --- 10.64.124.49 ping statistics ---
  5 packets transmitted, 5 received, 0% packet loss, time 3999ms

--------------------

Next, you wanted to ping the IP of the login site. I don't know what
this is, but in the past when I HAVE been successfully redirected, the
page is 1.1.1.1/login

Code:
--------------------

  --- 1.1.1.1 ping statistics ---
  5 packets transmitted, 0 received, 100% packet loss, time 3999ms

--------------------

Code:
--------------------

  --- 8.8.8.8 ping statistics ---
  5 packets transmitted, 0 received, 100% packet loss, time 3999ms

--------------------

Sorry I can't provide more unsolicited information.

--
tbinnington
tbinnington's Profile: http://forums.opensuse.org/member.php?userid=66936
View this thread: http://forums.opensuse.org/showthread.php?t=473845

0
tbinnington
3/29/2012 6:26:02 PM
On 03/29/2012 01:26 PM, tbinnington wrote:

> Hi, thank you for your reply. I simply entered 8.8.8.8 in the address
> bar of a browser. This is actually no more reliable than any other
> method. Sometimes I am redirected, but mostly not (your understanding of
> the public network I'm trying to access is correct). Here is the output
> that you requested, in the order in which you requested it:
>

> Code:
> --------------------
>      PING 10.64.124.49 (10.64.124.49) 56(84) bytes of data.
>    64 bytes from 10.64.124.49: icmp_seq=1 ttl=64 time=0.046 ms
>    64 bytes from 10.64.124.49: icmp_seq=2 ttl=64 time=0.039 ms
>    64 bytes from 10.64.124.49: icmp_seq=3 ttl=64 time=0.035 ms
>    64 bytes from 10.64.124.49: icmp_seq=4 ttl=64 time=0.046 ms
>    64 bytes from 10.64.124.49: icmp_seq=5 ttl=64 time=0.036 ms

The 8.8.8.8 address is to be used as a nameserver. Run the command 'kdesu
kwrite' and browse to /etc/resolv.conf. Before any other nameserver line that
you find there, add

[code]
nameserver 8.8.8.8
nameserver 8.8.4.4
[/code]

Please post the nameserver line that was already there.

We have verified that your connection to the AP is working. The next step is to
get the verification site to reliably come up.

0
Larry
3/29/2012 6:54:26 PM
Hi there. The nameserver that was already there was 10.64.120.2. I added
the two lines you suggested above it. Nothing appears to have changed.
when I try 8.8.8.8 or 1.1.1.1 in a browser, I am redirected to the login
page (fairly sure this is at 1.1.1.1 now, since the redirection warning
that I get from chrome tells me I'm being redirected there). I can
login, but the same problem occurs. Even the welcome page that would
display once I log in times out. Really this behaviour isn't any
different than before, so it's hard to say if adding the two lines to
/etc/resolv.conf make any difference.
Thanks for your reply though, I hope we get to the bottom of this!

--
tbinnington
tbinnington's Profile: http://forums.opensuse.org/member.php?userid=66936
View this thread: http://forums.opensuse.org/showthread.php?t=473845

0
tbinnington
3/29/2012 7:16:03 PM
On 03/29/2012 02:16 PM, tbinnington wrote:

> Hi there. The nameserver that was already there was 10.64.120.2. I added
> the two lines you suggested above it. Nothing appears to have changed.
> when I try 8.8.8.8 or 1.1.1.1 in a browser, I am redirected to the login
> page (fairly sure this is at 1.1.1.1 now, since the redirection warning
> that I get from chrome tells me I'm being redirected there). I can
> login, but the same problem occurs. Even the welcome page that would
> display once I log in times out. Really this behaviour isn't any
> different than before, so it's hard to say if adding the two lines to
> /etc/resolv.conf make any difference.
> Thanks for your reply though, I hope we get to the bottom of this!

You cannot browse to 8.8.8.8, and I'm quite sure that the log-in page is not
really at 1.1.1.1. According to my nslookup, 1.1.1.1 does not exist, at least
not from here. That must be some kind of NAT redirection.

 From the old nameserver line, we have another address in the internal network
of the AP. What does 'ping -c5 10.64.120.2' show?
0
Larry
3/29/2012 8:37:17 PM
IMO you need to do same basic network troubleshooting here.

<After> you follow my previous post to find the AP Logon page by IP
address (The page should be served from the AP directly, you should not
be re-directed elsewhere for the page),

Re-inspect your local network configuration, particularly verifying
your assigned IP address, assigned nameserver(s), and the default
gateway.

Ping the default gateway (If PING turned off, then do a tcptraceroute
or telnet a port you believe should be open.

If necessary, run wireshark and capture some packets. Even if you don't
know how to analyze the content of the packets deeply, you can at least
determine whether some protocol traffic is being exchange or if there
are problems.

Also, I recommend you focus for the moment simply on whether the AP is
blocking or not, or if you're not pointing to the proper DG. This whole
exploration about nameservers should be done only if you're certain
you're not being blocked, the problem is faulty name
resolution services.

Also, a long shot issue... I have the FF plugin "HTTPS Everywhere"
which screws up AP authentication because although the AP accepts SSL
(for later traffic), the logon page itself is usually not SSL enabled so
forcing SSL causes a problem. The simple solution for me is to use a
different browser without the plugin (I use Chrome) to do the initial
logon, then afterwards I can use any browser I want.

HTH,
TS

--
tsu2
tsu2's Profile: http://forums.opensuse.org/member.php?userid=2578
View this thread: http://forums.opensuse.org/showthread.php?t=473845

0
tsu2
3/29/2012 10:36:03 PM
On 2012-03-29 21:16, tbinnington wrote:

> Hi there. The nameserver that was already there was 10.64.120.2. I added
> the two lines you suggested above it. Nothing appears to have changed.

Don't add, replace.

> when I try 8.8.8.8

Don't.
That' address is not a link to browse.

--
Cheers / Saludos,

		Carlos E. R.
		(from 11.4 x86_64 "Celadon" at Telcontar)
0
Carlos
3/29/2012 11:48:06 PM
Hello all, thank you for all your help and replies. I've been a linux
user for about five years, so I'm fairly familiar with some of the
configuration, but networking is something I've never explored or
understood well. I'll try to follow your recent post, HTH, and see if I
can make some sense out of it.

One thing that has come to light recently is that the AP has a very
restrictive firewall. I don't know the details, but it turns out that
even if I were to be able to log in, I would not be allowed to access an
external VPN, which is what I need to do in the first place. I know
you'll find this amusing: the only feasible way for me to do what I need
to is to tether to my phone while I'm in the office.

I'm actually encountering another issue because of this, but I'll start
a new thread for it and provide you with the link, if you're interested.

Thank you for all of your help in this matter!

--
tbinnington
tbinnington's Profile: http://forums.opensuse.org/member.php?userid=66936
View this thread: http://forums.opensuse.org/showthread.php?t=473845

0
tbinnington
3/30/2012 2:06:02 PM
here it is:'

http://forums.opensuse.org/forums/english/get-technical-help-here/network-internet/473945-unable-ssh-while-logged-into-proper-vpn.htm'
(http://tinyurl.com/7xxlgo6)

--
tbinnington
tbinnington's Profile: http://forums.opensuse.org/member.php?userid=66936
View this thread: http://forums.opensuse.org/showthread.php?t=473845

0
tbinnington

don't know how to connect to internet usin wireless device
hi...... i m using BSNL wireless device ZTE-EVDO.. & i want to connect to the internet.... i m using OpenSUSE 11.1\ i am new to linux......and don't know anything....... -- tannakartikey ------------------------------------------------------------------------ have a read of the stickies in the wireless subsection of this forum & post the relevant info there. Andy -- To be is to do = Immanuel Kant To do is to be = Descartes. Do be do be do = Frank Sinatra SuSE user since 7.0,Linux user since 1994 ----------------------------------------...

Wireless is connected but can't connect to Internet
Hello. I have openSuse 10.3 installed in my Dell Inspiron 6400 laptop; I managed to get the wireless card working (it's a Dell BCM94311MCG Wlan mini PCI, according to Linux) and it successfully connects to a wireless network. However, I can't connect to the Internet or even ping anything (such as 'Yahoo!' (http://www.yahoo.com)). Can anybody help me? Thank you -- robertocg72 ------------------------------------------------------------------------ 'Network connected but no internet access - openSUSE Forums' (http://tinyurl.com/5zguog) ...

Network Manager won't connect to wireless connection
hello I just noticed this today, it worked fine when I first installed suse but now it doesn't. Network Manager will scan and show the available networks alright it just wont connect...I just get Wlan Disconnected when it shouldn't be. I don't even "get the gear turning" on the network manager icon just nothing at all. also I did have compat wireless installed (automatically not on my own merit) and nothing worked at all till I uninstalled it now I have this problem..there wouldn't be any dependencies from compat that would causing this would there? hope you...

HP Laptop See's Wireless but don't connect
OS11.2 Here is my sticky things. Network manager see's the network but doesn't connect to the internet. I also tried the Traditional method but still no connect to internet. Can I get some help please? 09:00.0 Network controller: Atheros Communications Inc. AR928X Wireless Network Adapter (PCI-Express) (rev 01) 09:00.0 0280: 168c:002a (rev 01) 4.183358] eth0: RTL8102e at 0xffffc900020c2000, 00:23:5a:3a:af:9f, XID 24a00000 IRQ 29 Danorske@linux-9yzd:~> /usr/sbin/iwconfig lo no wireless extensions. eth0 no wireless extensions. wmaster0 no wireles...

Can't connect to any network cable/wireless
hi, I'm new to linux/openSUSE, and i recently installed it on my laptop. The other day i was tired of the short battery time, so i googled around and found powertop, ran it and did what it suggested i should do, which might have been a stupid idea without know what i was doing. Anyhow now when my laptop has finished booting it takes about 10 min before the network icon appears in in the panel. i'm running openSUSE 11.4 -- pronoes ------------------------------------------------------------------------ I think mate that you will have to give more info about ...

'Please don't cross-post.'
1. For those of us who peruse these, it would be nice to indicate in what group the question was answered. 2. If it is posted in two places, would even be nicer if it was answered in at least one place, instead of two 'Please don't cross-post.' responses! YMTCW Ken Metz Programmer/Analyst Kansas City Power and Light It's that kind of maintenance that we're trying to avoid. The solution to the issue is for people to stop cross-posting. On 20 Jan 2005 13:50:56 -0800, "Ken Metz" <kenneth.metz@kcpl.com> wrote: >1. For those of ...

After Hibernate or Sleep can't connect to any wireless network
Hi, this is my first post on openSUSE's forum, I'm moving from other distros. and I'm currently loving openSUSE and I'm probably going to stick with it for a long time. I have already googled for this, but I found no solution, but I figured this should be a common problem... Does google searches inside this forum? Now... for my problem, whenever I hibernate (suspend to disk) or sleep (suspend to ram) I can't resume my wireless connection nor connect to another. I don't know if this is an issue if I use cables, because I simply don't with my netbook: ...

Wireless Configured and Receiving, Firefox don't Connect
I have installed my D-Link Wireless Adapter in accordance with all the howtos I found on the net, and KNetwork tells me I'm receiving. Yet when I open Firefox, for Instance, I receive the message that now Network connection exists. I have run the following scans, and from what I can tell as a newbie, everything seems set up and configured fine. Where might the bug be?? My output on wireless scans: iam@linux-qvbp:~> sudo /usr/sbin/iwlist scan root's password: lo Interface doesn't support scanning. eth0 Interface doesn't support scanning. wmast...

Network manager won't connect to wireless router
All settings are correct as far as i can tell. The wep key works on all my windows boxes. When i have connect automatically enabled it never tries to connect. if I go to edit it it pops kde wallet up i put in credentials. wallet goes away then nothing happens. if i double click connection to my router also nothing happens. I have the wep key in there and i even made it visible to make sure. -- bperrotta ------------------------------------------------------------------------ If possible try WPA Have you checked the wireless help section? -- Box: openSUSE 11.2 ...

Wireless network connects fine but can't resolve hosts
I've just installed opensuse and the network connects fine to my wireless router. I have no problem pinging the router or other computers on the network, but I can't connect to anything outside my local network. (the network card is a well supported intel 3945) My route output looks like this: Code: -------------------- Destination Gateway Genmask Flags Metric Ref Use Iface 10.0.0.0 * 255.255.255.0 U 2 0 0 wlan0 -------------------- Which seems different from another laptop running Arch linux which g...

Can't get my samsung N150 to connect to any wireless networks.
Please help bit of a novice with all this. I have brought my son a samsung n150 mini laptop. It has a "realtek rtl8192e wireless lan 802.11n pci-e nic" card fitted to it. I have tried downloading the drivers from samsung and realtek, but still can't get it to connect. It see's the local connections but when i try to connect it says it is unable to. Any help would be great as i really want it working by the 30th july as its my sons birthday. many thanks colin -- woj89 ------------------------------------------------------------------------ On 07/19/...

12.1 M5 KDE won't connect to any wireless network
System uses a broadcom legacy chip(not sure which one off the top of my head), but had no issues setting it up successfully with the install_bcm43xx_firmware script. It scans networks and works properly except it cannot actually connect to any of them. Networks tested had WPA, WEP, and no encryption. User credentials were confirmed to be correct by using them on other devices with no issues. Issue exists with both knetworkmanager and ifup. I haven't tested Wicd because I really don't want to use an 11.4 repository on 12.1, though I'm aware that the odds of real damag...

Intel 5100 Wireless stayed connection but couldn't access internet
Hi everybody, First time using openSUSE 12.1, and installed it on my HP 2530p with intel 5100 wireless. Network Manager show that wireless connected with my router but I couldn't access to Internet (via browser, installation,...). I tried to search solution for this problem but found nothing. Thank you so much for your support. -- vanthangnam ------------------------------------------------------------------------ On 11/22/2011 01:06 AM, vanthangnam wrote: > > Hi everybody, > > First time using openSUSE 12.1, and installed it on my HP 2530p with &...

Intel Pro wireless 4965 can't connect to WPA network
I am having a problem getting my Intel ProWireless 4965AGN wireless card to work under SuSE 11.1. I can connect to the WPA encrypted network with no problem under Vista on the same laptop. I have tried it also under Ubuntu 8.10 and it isn't working under it either. I am however able to connect to a non-encrypted neighbor's network with no problem under both SuSE 11.1 and Ubuntu 8.10. I am hoping someone has a solution for this issue as I don't really feel good about hijacking my neighbor's wireless. Here is some info on the card: Code: -------------------- ...

Web resources about - Connecting to public wireless, but no internet (please don't dismiss as a simpleton posting!) - opensuse.network.wireless

Connecting rod - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia
In a reciprocating piston engine , the connecting rod or conrod connects the piston to the crank or crankshaft . Together with the crank, they ...

COVER BOY: Dec. 15 Issue of ‘Time’ Features Mark Zuckerberg on Connecting the World
The cover of the Dec. 15 issue of Time features a familiar face — that of Facebook co-founder and CEO Mark Zuckerberg , the star of a long feature ...

Connecting People to Brands and Products on Mobile
People come to Facebook not only to connect with friends and family but also with products and brands. Here's how we're making it easier to list ...

Papa John’s Connecting with 200,000 Fans on Facebook
More brands are engaging with Facebook’s 150 million users through Facebook advertising solutions and the Facebook Platform, patterns of best ...

Clowdy - Connecting Creatives with Music, Film & Photos on the App Store on iTunes
Get Clowdy - Connecting Creatives with Music, Film & Photos on the App Store. See screenshots and ratings, and read customer reviews.

Connecting a Relay to Arduino - Flickr - Photo Sharing!
Simple circuit to connect a 5V relay to one of the digital output pins of the Arduino. I drew this after a few threads showed up on the Arduino ...

Evidence Connecting Scott Roeder to Operation Rescue Found in Roder's Car - YouTube
Rachel Maddow unveils video evidence from KMBC TV in Kansas City of a note found in Scott Roeder's car at the time of his arrest for the murder ...