Can't connect to home network

Hi,

I'm trying to get wireless networking working on a recently installed
OpenSUSE and running against my linksys WRT54G wireless router.  I'm not
having any luck.  Here is the information asked for in the sticky above
with some irrelevant information elided and a few various questions /
comments:

Code:
--------------------

  myid@linux-ggin:~> /sbin/lspci
  02:02.0 Network controller: Cisco Aironet Wireless Communications Cisco Aironet Wireless 802.11b

--------------------

Code:
--------------------

  myid@linux-ggin:~> /sbin/lspci -n
  02:02.0 0280: 14b9:a504

--------------------

Code:
--------------------

  myid@linux-ggin:~> dmesg | grep airo | more
  [   18.522984] airo(): Probing for PCI adapters
  [   19.194302] airo 0000:02:02.0: PCI INT A -> Link[LNKC] -> GSI 11 (level, low) -> IRQ 11
  [   19.194330] airo(): Found an MPI350 card
  [   20.142332] airo(eth0): Firmware version 5.20.17
  [   20.142336] airo(eth0): WPA unsupported with firmware versions older than 5.30.17.
  [   20.142340] airo(eth0): MAC enabled 00:02:8a:dc:42:35
  [   20.142385] airo(): Finished probing for PCI adapters
  [  290.723492] airo(eth0): association failed (reason: 12)
  [  290.868587] airo(eth0): association failed (reason: 12)
  [  291.081580] airo(eth0): association failed (reason: 12)

--------------------

Okay, a couple of comments about the above.  (1) the last three lines
are actually only the first of 30 or 40 identical lines.  I just
truncated the output for space.  (2)  one of my questions was why WPA
wasn't an option when I was trying to configure the wireless
connections.  The fifth line of the output explains that.  Still, I
couldn't get it to work even with security disabled on the router so I
am going to continue with this post and put trying to figure out how to
do a firmware update on my todo list.  I'd also be willing to give WEP a
shot.  Frankly I don't know the difference between the two, I only chose
WPA because there was less to configure on the router :)

Code:
--------------------

  myid@linux-ggin:~> /usr/sbin/iwconfig
  lo        no wireless extensions.

  irda0     no wireless extensions.

  eth1      no wireless extensions.

  eth0      IEEE 802.11-DS  ESSID:"f2\x0E\xB71X\xA3Z%]\x05\x17X\xE9^\xD4\xAD\xB2\xCD\xC7\x9B\xB4T\x11\x0E\x82tA!=\xDC\x87"
  Mode:Managed  Frequency:2.437 GHz  Access Point: Invalid
  Bit Rate:11 Mb/s   Tx-Power=20 dBm   Sensitivity=0/65535
  Retry limit:16   RTS thr:off   Fragment thr:off
  Power Management:off
  Link Quality=100/100  Signal level=-24 dBm  Noise level=-105 dBm
  Rx invalid nwid:29917  Rx invalid crypt:1  Rx invalid frag:0
  Tx excessive retries:0  Invalid misc:167956   Missed beacon:0

  wifi0     IEEE 802.11-DS  ESSID:"f2\x0E\xB71X\xA3Z%]\x05\x17X\xE9^\xD4\xAD\xB2\xCD\xC7\x9B\xB4T\x11\x0E\x82tA!=\xDC\x87"
  Mode:Managed  Frequency:2.437 GHz  Access Point: Invalid
  Bit Rate:11 Mb/s   Tx-Power=20 dBm   Sensitivity=0/65535
  Retry limit:16   RTS thr:off   Fragment thr:off
  Power Management:off
  Link Quality=100/100  Signal level=-24 dBm  Noise level=-105 dBm
  Rx invalid nwid:29917  Rx invalid crypt:1  Rx invalid frag:0
  Tx excessive retries:0  Invalid misc:167956   Missed beacon:0

--------------------

Can anyone tell me why the ESSID looks the way it does?  Is that just a
reasonable value encoded?

Code:
--------------------

  myid@linux-ggin:~> sudo /usr/sbin/iwlist scan
  lo        Interface doesn't support scanning.

  irda0     Interface doesn't support scanning.

  eth1      Interface doesn't support scanning.

  eth0      Scan completed :
  Cell 01 - Address: 00:17:B7:2E:35:AA
  ESSID:"myssidl"
  Mode:Master
  Frequency:2.437 GHz (Channel 6)
  Quality=100/100  Signal level=-40 dBm  Noise level:-105 dBm
  Encryption key:off
  Bit Rates:1 Mb/s; 2 Mb/s; 5.5 Mb/s; 11 Mb/s; 18 Mb/s
  24 Mb/s; 36 Mb/s; 54 Mb/s
  Extra:bcn_int=100

  wifi0     Scan completed :
  Cell 01 - Address: 00:17:B7:2E:35:AA
  ESSID:"myssid"
  Mode:Master
  Frequency:2.437 GHz (Channel 6)
  Quality=100/100  Signal level=-33 dBm  Noise level:-105 dBm
  Encryption key:off
  Bit Rates:1 Mb/s; 2 Mb/s; 5.5 Mb/s; 11 Mb/s; 18 Mb/s
  24 Mb/s; 36 Mb/s; 54 Mb/s
  Extra:bcn_int=100

--------------------

Why do I see the same information for both eht0 and wifi0?  Aren't
those both my wireless card?  Should I be seeing both of those
interfaces?

At this point let me ask a completely naive question.  As a linux
novice I'm having trouble figuring out how to even indicate that I want
to connect to a particular wireless network.  For some inexplicable (to
me) reason the output of scan above only indicated my own network but on
previous attemps it listed those of my neighbors as well.  How do I,
either through the command line or some gui go about trying to connnect
to a given network or reconnect after I've made some change through the
network configuration utility?

I'd really like to try to get this working either with WEP or
temporarily unsecured but I have no idea how to proceed.  Thanks in
advance for any help that anyone can offer.

-ts1971

--
ts1971

ts1971
3/28/2012 7:56:02 PM
opensuse.network.wireless 2348 articles. 0 followers. Follow

WEP requires you use the complete HEX key be that 64 or 128 bit
And if you use kde you need to let kwallet manage the secret

/sbin/lspci -nnk
would tell us more about your device

--
Box: 12.1 | KDE 4.8.1 | AMD 64 X2 5200+ | nVidia 8500GT | 4GB RAM
Lap #1: 12.1 | Duo T4300 | KDE4.8.1 | Intel M4 Graphics | Lenovo G550 |

0
caf4926
3/28/2012 8:06:04 PM
caf4926;2452078 Wrote:
> WEP requires you use the complete HEX key be that 64 or 128 bit
> And if you use kde you need to let kwallet manage the secret

Ah, ok.  I am using kde and kwallet is always bothering me to enter
some kind of password.  Figuring out what kwallet is and what it does is
only my long list of things to sort out.  Unfortunatley, the move to
linux can be a bit overwhelming at first ...

caf4926;2452078 Wrote:

> /sbin/lspci -nnk
> would tell us more about your device

Here you go:

Code:
--------------------

  myid@linux-ggin:~> /sbin/lspci -nnk
  02:02.0 Network controller [0280]: Cisco Aironet Wireless Communications Cisco Aironet Wireless 802.11b [14b9:a504]
  Subsystem: Cisco Aironet Wireless Communications Device [14b9:5000]
  Kernel driver in use: airo

--------------------

--
ts1971
ts1971's Profile: http://forums.opensuse.org/member.php?userid=66396
View this thread: http://forums.opensuse.org/showthread.php?t=473885

0
ts1971
3/28/2012 8:46:02 PM
Delete any configured wireless entries in the network manager
That is > Click the Network Manager > Manage Connections
In the Wireless Tab delete any entries

Now click > Add > Wireless
Follow this:
http://dl.dropbox.com/u/10573557/SUSE%20Misc/kde-wireless-new.png

Remember though, what I said about WEP

--
Box: 12.1 | KDE 4.8.1 | AMD 64 X2 5200+ | nVidia 8500GT | 4GB RAM
Lap #1: 12.1 | Duo T4300 | KDE4.8.1 | Intel M4 Graphics | Lenovo G550 |
3GB RAM
Lap#2: 12.1  | KDE 4.8.1 | Celeron 550 | Intel 965GM | Lenovo R61 |
*+EeePC | 11.4 | Gnome*
'My_Guides' (http://tinyurl.com/6cabu2j)
caf4926's Profile: http://forums.opensuse.org/member.php?userid=204
View this thread: http://forums.opensuse.org/showthread.php?t=473885

-1
caf4926
3/29/2012 3:06:03 AM
caf4926;2452137 Wrote:
> Delete any configured wireless entries in the network manager
> That is > Click the Network Manager > Manage Connections
> In the Wireless Tab delete any entries
>
> Now click > Add > Wireless
> Follow this:
> http://dl.dropbox.com/u/10573557/SUSE%20Misc/kde-wireless-new.png
>
> Remember though, what I said about WEP

Thanks again for taking the time to reply.  I did as you suggested
(though with security disbled .. baby steps for me) and after unplugging
the network cable, the interface was listed as 'connected' and I think
that very briefly there was traffic flowing but only for a moment and
now it says 'not connected' again and I'm not able to even ping any well
known sites.

A couple of questions at this point, one of which I asked earlier.

(1) How do I actually bring connections up and down?  In my tinkering
this far I've just been relying on 'connect automatically' but that
frankly is a bit frustrating.  I expect there to be something like a
connect / disconnect button in the network manager interface but there
seems not to be.  I've been away from Linux for a decade but I have a
fuzzy recollection of using ifup / updown - does that still work?  Is it
what I should be doing?

(2) Presumably the errors I'm getting must be logged somewhere but I
can't find them.  Can you point me towards the log file?

(3) I tried to find a newer version of firmware and the only one I
could located said that linux wasn't supported.  I'm not sure though if
that means that it won't work or just that it's not been tested.  Is
firmware platform dependent?  It's not, right?

Thanks again.

-ts1971

--
ts1971
ts1971's Profile: http://forums.opensuse.org/member.php?userid=66396
View this thread: http://forums.opensuse.org/showthread.php?t=473885

0
ts1971
3/29/2012 4:06:02 AM
1. ifup is an option, but I never use it with wireless.
I always set my wireless to connect auto but you don't have to. The
disconnect is: 'SUSE Paste' (http://paste.opensuse.org/12765001)

2 and 3. You need a wireless expert, which I am not. It looks solvable
to me. Hopefully @lwfinger will see this and respond.

http://tinyurl.com/cwx2vt

--
Box: 12.1 | KDE 4.8.1 | AMD 64 X2 5200+ | nVidia 8500GT | 4GB RAM
Lap #1: 12.1 | Duo T4300 | KDE4.8.1 | Intel M4 Graphics | Lenovo G550 |
3GB RAM
Lap#2: 12.1  | KDE 4.8.1 | Celeron 550 | Intel 965GM | Lenovo R61 |
*+EeePC | 11.4 | Gnome*
'My_Guides' (http://tinyurl.com/6cabu2j)
caf4926's Profile: http://forums.opensuse.org/member.php?userid=204
View this thread: http://forums.opensuse.org/showthread.php?t=473885

0
caf4926
3/29/2012 4:16:03 AM
caf4926;2452142 Wrote:
> 1. ifup is an option, but I never use it with wireless.
> I always set my wireless to connect auto but you don't have to. The
> disconnect is: 'SUSE Paste' (http://paste.opensuse.org/12765001)
>
> 2 and 3. You need a wireless expert, which I am not. It looks solvable
> to me. Hopefully @lwfinger will see this and respond.
>
> http://tinyurl.com/cwx2vt

Okay, thanks again for your help and I'll wait to see if there are any
other replies.  Have a nice night.

-ts1971

--
ts1971
ts1971's Profile: http://forums.opensuse.org/member.php?userid=66396
View this thread: http://forums.opensuse.org/showthread.php?t=473885

0
ts1971
3/29/2012 4:26:02 AM
ts1971;2452145 Wrote:
> Okay, thanks again for your help and I'll wait to see if there are any
> other replies.  Have a nice night.
>
> -ts1971

Good luck
It's 5.30 am here BTW
UK

--
Box: 12.1 | KDE 4.8.1 | AMD 64 X2 5200+ | nVidia 8500GT | 4GB RAM
Lap #1: 12.1 | Duo T4300 | KDE4.8.1 | Intel M4 Graphics | Lenovo G550 |
3GB RAM
Lap#2: 12.1  | KDE 4.8.1 | Celeron 550 | Intel 965GM | Lenovo R61 |
*+EeePC | 11.4 | Gnome*
'My_Guides' (http://tinyurl.com/6cabu2j)
caf4926's Profile: http://forums.opensuse.org/member.php?userid=204
View this thread: http://forums.opensuse.org/showthread.php?t=473885

0
caf4926
3/29/2012 4:36:02 AM
On 03/28/2012 11:26 PM, ts1971 wrote:

> caf4926;2452142 Wrote:
>> 1. ifup is an option, but I never use it with wireless.
>> I always set my wireless to connect auto but you don't have to. The
>> disconnect is: 'SUSE Paste' (http://paste.opensuse.org/12765001)
>>
>> 2 and 3. You need a wireless expert, which I am not. It looks solvable
>> to me. Hopefully @lwfinger will see this and respond.
>>
>> http://tinyurl.com/cwx2vt
>
> Okay, thanks again for your help and I'll wait to see if there are any
> other replies.  Have a nice night.

This device is not particularly Linux friendly. From what I read at
http://linuxwireless.org/en/users/Drivers/airo#device_firmware, the firmware is
not loaded from a file as for most devices, but it is kept in some kind of
EEPROM. It can be changes in the field, but it requires Windows to do the
updating. As your device has firmware that is too old to support WPA, you will
need to use WEP.

As you were told by caf4926, the easiest way to connect to a given AP is to use
the Connection Manager portion of the NetworkManager applet to define a
connection. Once you complete setting up the connection, the system will offer
to keep your encryption secret in the wallet. You should select that option. You
will also want to set this one to connect automatically. That way, the
connection will be made when you boot. You can create the wallet without a
password if you want. That is not secure, but it avoids kwallet asking for a
password.

Now that your AP has encryption turned off, you should be able to create the
connection.

You have posted the scan data. It seems that the device creates both eth0 and
wifi0 interfaces. Those strange ESSID strings come from non-printing characters
being in the storage locations because that area has not been initialized. Once
the device associates, that will look more normal.

Once you have created the connection using the applet, please post the output of

[code]
/usr/sbin/iwconfig
/sbin/ifconfig
[/code]

In addition, I would like to see the part of dmesg that deals with the wireless
device. In addition, the section of /var/log/NetworkManager dealing with the
most recent attempt to connect would be useful.

0
Larry
3/29/2012 5:06:31 AM
Just an in between. You wrote in your first post in this thread:"
> ... on a recently installed OpenSUSE ...
Please,, next time simply write the openSUSE version that is involved.
Writing 12.1 or 11.4 or whatever is shorter and much more to the point
then your text. Also your text does include a "recently installed" SuSE
6 as a possibility.

In this case the answers you get seem to be version independent, but
that is not something you knew when you started this.

--
Henk van Velden
hcvv's Profile: http://forums.opensuse.org/member.php?userid=180
View this thread: http://forums.opensuse.org/showthread.php?t=473885

0
hcvv
3/29/2012 3:56:03 PM
Okay after some traveling I'm back at this problem ....

lwfinger;2452150 Wrote:
> On 03/28/2012 11:26 PM
>
> Once you complete setting up the connection, the system will offer
> to keep your encryption secret in the wallet. You should select that
> option. You
> will also want to set this one to connect automatically. That way, the
> connection will be made when you boot. You can create the wallet
> without a
> password if you want. That is not secure, but it avoids kwallet asking
> for a
> password.

Unfortunately I have already created a kwallet with a password.  I
would desparately like to replace it with one with a psasword or to
disable kwallet altogether or to do whatever it is I have to do to make
kwallet go away.  I found the "Wallet Management Tool" application but
when I try to launch it nothing happens. Does anyone know any way
through the command line to make kwallet go away?

lwfinger;2452150 Wrote:
> On 03/28/2012 11:26 PM
> Now that your AP has encryption turned off, you should be able to
> create the
> connection.
>
> You have posted the scan data. It seems that the device creates both
> eth0 and
> wifi0 interfaces. Those strange ESSID strings come from non-printing
> characters
> being in the storage locations because that area has not been
> initialized. Once
> the device associates, that will look more normal.
>
> Once you have created the connection using the applet, please post the
> output of

Code:
--------------------
  >   >
  > /usr/sbin/iwconfig
  > /sbin/ifconfig

--------------------

Okay, I've turned encryption off at the router and (for good measure)
restarted the linux box and created a connection for that ssid with no
security.  I should probably mention at this point before I show you the
output that when I clicked 'scan' as I was setting up the connection it
didn't display the ssid in question even though I know that it is
broadcasting  because I can see it quite clearly on one of my windows
boxes.  It does however show ssids of my neighbors networks so I really
don't know what to say about that.  Anyway, here you go:

Code:
--------------------

--------------------

In addition, I would like to see the part of dmesg that deals with the
wireless
device. In addition, the section of /var/log/NetworkManager dealing
with the
most recent attempt to connect would be useful.

--
ts1971
ts1971's Profile: http://forums.opensuse.org/member.php?userid=66396
View this thread: http://forums.opensuse.org/showthread.php?t=473885

0
ts1971
4/6/2012 8:36:03 PM
Okay, this is a continuacion of my last post.  I had hoped to go back
and edit that one (I'm having trouble because I'm swapping in and out
the network cable as I try to test the wireless stuff) but I guess that
there is a time limit.  In any event here is the first part of the
requested information.

Code:
--------------------

  mylogin@linux-ggin:~>
  mylogin@linux-ggin:~>
  mylogin@linux-ggin:~> /usr/sbin/iwconfig
  lo        no wireless extensions.

  irda0     no wireless extensions.

  eth1      no wireless extensions.

  eth0      IEEE 802.11-DS  ESSID:"myssid"
  Mode:Managed  Frequency:2.437 GHz  Access Point: Invalid
  Bit Rate:11 Mb/s   Tx-Power=20 dBm   Sensitivity=0/65535
  Retry limit:16   RTS thr:off   Fragment thr:off
  Power Management:off
  Link Quality=0/100  Signal level=-105 dBm  Noise level=-96 dBm
  Tx excessive retries:0  Invalid misc:18830   Missed beacon:0

  wifi0     IEEE 802.11-DS  ESSID:"myssid"
  Mode:Managed  Frequency:2.437 GHz  Access Point: Invalid
  Bit Rate:11 Mb/s   Tx-Power=20 dBm   Sensitivity=0/65535
  Retry limit:16   RTS thr:off   Fragment thr:off
  Power Management:off
  Link Quality=0/100  Signal level=-105 dBm  Noise level=-96 dBm
  Tx excessive retries:0  Invalid misc:18830   Missed beacon:0

  mylogin@linux-ggin:~>
  mylogin@linux-ggin:~>
  mylogin@linux-ggin:~>
  mylogin@linux-ggin:~> /sbin/ifconfig
  eth0      Link encap:Ethernet  HWaddr 00:02:8A:DC:46:35
  inet6 addr: fe80::202:8aff:fedc:4635/64 Scope:Link
  UP BROADCAST MULTICAST  MTU:1500  Metric:1
  collisions:0 txqueuelen:1000
  RX bytes:0 (0.0 b)  TX bytes:396 (396.0 b)
  Interrupt:11 Base address:0x8000

  eth1      Link encap:Ethernet  HWaddr 00:0D:60:5D:71:FF
  UP BROADCAST MULTICAST  MTU:1500  Metric:1
  collisions:0 txqueuelen:1000
  RX bytes:0 (0.0 b)  TX bytes:0 (0.0 b)

  lo        Link encap:Local Loopback
  inet addr:127.0.0.1  Mask:255.0.0.0
  inet6 addr: ::1/128 Scope:Host
  UP LOOPBACK RUNNING  MTU:16436  Metric:1
  collisions:0 txqueuelen:0
  RX bytes:8427 (8.2 Kb)  TX bytes:8427 (8.2 Kb)

  mylogin@linux-ggin:~>
  mylogin@linux-ggin:~>

--------------------

Regarding the dmesg output, I already included the stuff that I thought
was relevent above.  If there are any particular strings you want me to
search for I'd be happy to do that.  I'll include the output of
/var/log/NetworkManager after my most recent restart / network
configuration session in my next post as I seem to have exceeded the
15000 character limit:

-ts1971

--
ts1971
ts1971's Profile: http://forums.opensuse.org/member.php?userid=66396
View this thread: http://forums.opensuse.org/showthread.php?t=473885

0
ts1971
4/6/2012 9:16:02 PM
and here is the output of /var/log/NetworkManager

Code:
--------------------

  Apr  6 13:34:03 NM[707]: <info> (eth1): carrier now OFF (device state 100, deferring action for 4 seconds)
  Apr  6 13:34:03 NM[707]: NM[707]: <info> (eth1): carrier now OFF (device state 100, deferring action for 4 seconds)
  Apr  6 13:34:07 NM[707]: <info> (eth1): device state change: activated -> unavailable (reason 'carrier-changed') [100 20 40]
  Apr  6 13:34:07 NM[707]: <info> (eth1): deactivating device (reason 'carrier-changed') [40]
  Apr  6 13:34:08 NM[707]: NM[707]: <info> (eth1): device state change: activated -> unavailable (reason 'carrier-changed') [100 20 40]
  Apr  6 13:34:08 NM[707]: NM[707]: <info> (eth1): deactivating device (reason 'carrier-changed') [40]
  Apr  6 13:34:08 NM[707]: NM[707]: <info> (eth1): canceled DHCP transaction, DHCP client pid 1987
  Apr  6 13:34:07 NM[707]: <info> (eth1): canceled DHCP transaction, DHCP client pid 1987
  Apr  6 13:34:08 NM[707]: NM[707]: <info> Clearing nscd hosts cache.
  Apr  6 13:34:08 NM[707]: <info> Clearing nscd hosts cache.
  Apr  6 13:34:08 NM[707]: sent invalidate(hosts) request, exiting
  Apr  6 13:35:33 NM[716]: NM[716]: <info> NM (version 0.9.1.90) is starting...
  Apr  6 13:35:33 NM[716]: <info> NM (version 0.9.1.90) is starting...
  Apr  6 13:35:33 NM[716]: NM[716]: <info> Read config file /etc/NM/NM.conf
  Apr  6 13:35:33 NM[716]: <info> Read config file /etc/NM/NM.conf
  Apr  6 13:35:33 NM[716]: NM[716]: <info> VPN: loaded org.freedesktop.NM.openvpn
  Apr  6 13:35:33 NM[716]: <info> VPN: loaded org.freedesktop.NM.openvpn
  Apr  6 13:35:33 NM[716]: NM[716]: <info> VPN: loaded org.freedesktop.NM.pptp
  Apr  6 13:35:33 NM[716]: <info> VPN: loaded org.freedesktop.NM.pptp
  Apr  6 13:35:33 NM[716]: NM[716]: <info> VPN: loaded org.freedesktop.NM.vpnc
  Apr  6 13:35:33 NM[716]: <info> VPN: loaded org.freedesktop.NM.vpnc
  Apr  6 13:35:33 NM[716]: NM[716]: <info> Loaded plugin ifcfg-suse: (C) 2008 Novell, Inc.  To report bugs please use the NM mailing list.
  Apr  6 13:35:33 NM[716]: <info> Loaded plugin ifcfg-suse: (C) 2008 Novell, Inc.  To report bugs please use the NM mailing list.
  Apr  6 13:35:33 NM[716]: NM[716]: <info> Loaded plugin keyfile: (c) 2007 - 2010 Red Hat, Inc.  To report bugs please use the NM mailing list.
  Apr  6 13:35:33 NM[716]: <info> Loaded plugin keyfile: (c) 2007 - 2010 Red Hat, Inc.  To report bugs please use the NM mailing list.
  Apr  6 13:35:33 NM[716]: NM[716]:    keyfile: parsing myssid ...
  Apr  6 13:35:33 NM[716]:    keyfile: parsing myssid ...
  Apr  6 13:35:33 NM[716]: NM[716]:    keyfile:     read connection 'myssid'
  Apr  6 13:35:33 NM[716]:    keyfile:     read connection 'myssid'
  Apr  6 13:35:33 NM[716]: NM[716]: <info> trying to start the modem manager...
  Apr  6 13:35:33 NM[716]: <info> trying to start the modem manager...
  Apr  6 13:35:33 NM[716]: NM[716]: <info> monitoring kernel firmware directory '/lib/firmware'.
  Apr  6 13:35:33 NM[716]: <info> monitoring kernel firmware directory '/lib/firmware'.
  Apr  6 13:35:33 NM[716]: NM[716]: <info> WiFi enabled by radio killswitch; enabled by state file
  Apr  6 13:35:33 NM[716]: <info> WiFi enabled by radio killswitch; enabled by state file
  Apr  6 13:35:33 NM[716]: NM[716]: <info> WWAN enabled by radio killswitch; enabled by state file
  Apr  6 13:35:33 NM[716]: <info> WWAN enabled by radio killswitch; enabled by state file
  Apr  6 13:35:33 NM[716]: NM[716]: <info> WiMAX enabled by radio killswitch; enabled by state file
  Apr  6 13:35:33 NM[716]: <info> WiMAX enabled by radio killswitch; enabled by state file
  Apr  6 13:35:33 NM[716]: NM[716]: <info> Networking is enabled by state file
  Apr  6 13:35:33 NM[716]: <info> Networking is enabled by state file
  Apr  6 13:35:33 NM[716]: NM[716]: <info> Clearing nscd hosts cache.
  Apr  6 13:35:33 NM[716]: <info> Clearing nscd hosts cache.
  Apr  6 13:35:34 NM[716]: sent invalidate(hosts) request, exiting
  Apr  6 13:35:34 NM[716]: NM[716]: <info> Setting system hostname to 'linux-ggin.site' (from system configuration)
  Apr  6 13:35:34 NM[716]: <info> Setting system hostname to 'linux-ggin.site' (from system configuration)
  Apr  6 13:35:34 NM[716]: NM[716]: <info> (eth1): carrier is OFF
  Apr  6 13:35:34 NM[716]: <info> (eth1): carrier is OFF
  Apr  6 13:35:34 NM[716]: NM[716]: <info> (eth1): new Ethernet device (driver: 'e1000' ifindex: 3)
  Apr  6 13:35:34 NM[716]: <info> (eth1): new Ethernet device (driver: 'e1000' ifindex: 3)
  Apr  6 13:35:34 NM[716]: NM[716]: <info> (eth1): exported as /org/freedesktop/NM/Devices/0
  Apr  6 13:35:34 NM[716]: <info> (eth1): exported as /org/freedesktop/NM/Devices/0
  Apr  6 13:35:34 NM[716]: NM[716]: <info> (eth1): now managed
  Apr  6 13:35:34 NM[716]: <info> (eth1): now managed
  Apr  6 13:35:34 NM[716]: NM[716]: <info> (eth1): device state change: unmanaged -> unavailable (reason 'managed') [10 20 2]
  Apr  6 13:35:34 NM[716]: <info> (eth1): device state change: unmanaged -> unavailable (reason 'managed') [10 20 2]
  Apr  6 13:35:34 NM[716]: NM[716]: <info> (eth1): bringing up device.
  Apr  6 13:35:34 NM[716]: <info> (eth1): bringing up device.
  Apr  6 13:35:34 NM[716]: NM[716]: <info> (eth1): preparing device.
  Apr  6 13:35:34 NM[716]: <info> (eth1): preparing device.
  Apr  6 13:35:34 NM[716]: NM[716]: <info> (eth1): deactivating device (reason 'managed') [2]
  Apr  6 13:35:34 NM[716]: <info> (eth1): deactivating device (reason 'managed') [2]
  Apr  6 13:35:34 NM[716]: NM[716]: <info> Added default wired connection 'Wired connection 1' for /sys/devices/pci0000:00/0000:00:1e.0/0000:02:01.0/net/eth1
  Apr  6 13:35:34 NM[716]: <info> Added default wired connection 'Wired connection 1' for /sys/devices/pci0000:00/0000:00:1e.0/0000:02:01.0/net/eth1
  Apr  6 13:35:34 NM[716]: NM[716]: <error> [1333744534.519770] [nm-device-wifi.c:3075] real_update_permanent_hw_address(): (eth0): unable to read permanent MAC address (error 95)
  Apr  6 13:35:34 NM[716]: <error> [1333744534.519770] [nm-device-wifi.c:3075] real_update_permanent_hw_address(): (eth0): unable to read permanent MAC address (error 95)
  Apr  6 13:35:34 NM[716]: NM[716]: <info> (eth0): driver does not support SSID scans (scan_capa 0x00).
  Apr  6 13:35:34 NM[716]: <info> (eth0): driver does not support SSID scans (scan_capa 0x00).
  Apr  6 13:35:34 NM[716]: NM[716]: <info> (eth0): new 802.11 WiFi device (driver: 'airo' ifindex: 4)
  Apr  6 13:35:34 NM[716]: <info> (eth0): new 802.11 WiFi device (driver: 'airo' ifindex: 4)
  Apr  6 13:35:34 NM[716]: NM[716]: <info> (eth0): exported as /org/freedesktop/NM/Devices/1
  Apr  6 13:35:34 NM[716]: <info> (eth0): exported as /org/freedesktop/NM/Devices/1
  Apr  6 13:35:34 NM[716]: NM[716]: <info> (eth0): now managed
  Apr  6 13:35:34 NM[716]: <info> (eth0): now managed
  Apr  6 13:35:34 NM[716]: NM[716]: <info> (eth0): device state change: unmanaged -> unavailable (reason 'managed') [10 20 2]
  Apr  6 13:35:34 NM[716]: <info> (eth0): device state change: unmanaged -> unavailable (reason 'managed') [10 20 2]
  Apr  6 13:35:34 NM[716]: NM[716]: <info> (eth0): bringing up device.
  Apr  6 13:35:34 NM[716]: <info> (eth0): bringing up device.
  Apr  6 13:35:34 NM[716]: NM[716]: <info> (eth0): preparing device.
  Apr  6 13:35:34 NM[716]: <info> (eth0): preparing device.
  Apr  6 13:35:34 NM[716]: NM[716]: <info> (eth0): deactivating device (reason 'managed') [2]
  Apr  6 13:35:34 NM[716]: <info> (eth0): deactivating device (reason 'managed') [2]
  Apr  6 13:35:34 NM[716]: NM[716]: <warn> bluez error getting default adapter: The name org.bluez was not provided by any .service files
  Apr  6 13:35:34 NM[716]: <warn> bluez error getting default adapter: The name org.bluez was not provided by any .service files
  Apr  6 13:35:34 NM[716]: NM[716]: <info> modem-manager is now available
  Apr  6 13:35:34 NM[716]: <info> modem-manager is now available
  Apr  6 13:35:34 NM[716]: NM[716]: <info> wpa_supplicant started
  Apr  6 13:35:34 NM[716]: <info> wpa_supplicant started
  Apr  6 13:35:34 NM[716]: NM[716]: <info> (eth0): supplicant interface state: starting -> ready
  Apr  6 13:35:34 NM[716]: <info> (eth0): supplicant interface state: starting -> ready
  Apr  6 13:35:34 NM[716]: NM[716]: <info> (eth0): device state change: unavailable -> disconnected (reason 'supplicant-available') [20 30 42]
  Apr  6 13:35:34 NM[716]: <info> (eth0): device state change: unavailable -> disconnected (reason 'supplicant-available') [20 30 42]
  Apr  6 13:35:34 NM[716]: NM[716]: <info> (eth0): supplicant interface state: ready -> inactive
  Apr  6 13:35:34 NM[716]: <info> (eth0): supplicant interface state: ready -> inactive
  Apr  6 13:35:34 linux-ggin nm-dispatcher.action: Script '/etc/NM/dispatcher.d/netcontrol_services' exited with error status 127.
  Apr  6 13:35:37 NM[716]: (NM:716): GLib-GIO-WARNING **: Missing callback called fullpath = /var/run/ConsoleKit/database
  Apr  6 13:35:58 NM[716]: NM[716]: <info> Auto-activating connection 'myssid'.
  Apr  6 13:35:58 NM[716]: <info> Auto-activating connection 'myssid'.
  Apr  6 13:35:58 NM[716]: NM[716]: <info> Activation (eth0) starting connection 'myssid'
  Apr  6 13:35:58 NM[716]: <info> Activation (eth0) starting connection 'myssid'
  Apr  6 13:35:58 NM[716]: NM[716]: <info> (eth0): device state change: disconnected -> prepare (reason 'none') [30 40 0]
  Apr  6 13:35:58 NM[716]: <info> (eth0): device state change: disconnected -> prepare (reason 'none') [30 40 0]
  Apr  6 13:35:58 NM[716]: NM[716]: <info> Activation (eth0) Stage 1 of 5 (Device Prepare) scheduled...
  Apr  6 13:35:58 NM[716]: <info> Activation (eth0) Stage 1 of 5 (Device Prepare) scheduled...
  Apr  6 13:35:58 NM[716]: NM[716]: <info> Activation (eth0) Stage 1 of 5 (Device Prepare) started...
  Apr  6 13:35:58 NM[716]: <info> Activation (eth0) Stage 1 of 5 (Device Prepare) started...
  Apr  6 13:35:58 NM[716]: NM[716]: <info> Activation (eth0) Stage 2 of 5 (Device Configure) scheduled...
  Apr  6 13:35:58 NM[716]: <info> Activation (eth0) Stage 2 of 5 (Device Configure) scheduled...
  Apr  6 13:35:58 NM[716]: NM[716]: <info> Activation (eth0) Stage 1 of 5 (Device Prepare) complete.
  Apr  6 13:35:58 NM[716]: <info> Activation (eth0) Stage 1 of 5 (Device Prepare) complete.
  Apr  6 13:35:58 NM[716]: NM[716]: <info> Activation (eth0) Stage 2 of 5 (Device Configure) starting...
  Apr  6 13:35:58 NM[716]: <info> Activation (eth0) Stage 2 of 5 (Device Configure) starting...
  Apr  6 13:35:58 NM[716]: NM[716]: <info> (eth0): device state change: prepare -> config (reason 'none') [40 50 0]
  Apr  6 13:35:58 NM[716]: <info> (eth0): device state change: prepare -> config (reason 'none') [40 50 0]
  Apr  6 13:35:58 NM[716]: NM[716]: <info> Activation (eth0/wireless): connection 'myssid' requires no security.  No secrets needed.
  Apr  6 13:35:58 NM[716]: <info> Activation (eth0/wireless): connection 'myssid' requires no security.  No secrets needed.
  Apr  6 13:35:58 NM[716]: NM[716]: <info> Config: added 'ssid' value 'myssid'
  Apr  6 13:35:58 NM[716]: <info> Config: added 'ssid' value 'myssid'
  Apr  6 13:35:58 NM[716]: NM[716]: <info> Config: added 'scan_ssid' value '1'
  Apr  6 13:35:58 NM[716]: <info> Config: added 'scan_ssid' value '1'
  Apr  6 13:35:58 NM[716]: NM[716]: <info> Config: added 'key_mgmt' value 'NONE'
  Apr  6 13:35:58 NM[716]: <info> Config: added 'key_mgmt' value 'NONE'
  Apr  6 13:35:58 NM[716]: NM[716]: <info> Activation (eth0) Stage 2 of 5 (Device Configure) complete.
  Apr  6 13:35:58 NM[716]: <info> Activation (eth0) Stage 2 of 5 (Device Configure) complete.
  Apr  6 13:35:58 NM[716]: NM[716]: <info> Config: set interface ap_scan to 1
  Apr  6 13:35:58 NM[716]: <info> Config: set interface ap_scan to 1
  Apr  6 13:35:58 NM[716]: NM[716]: <info> (eth0): supplicant interface state: inactive -> scanning
  Apr  6 13:35:58 NM[716]: <info> (eth0): supplicant interface state: inactive -> scanning
  Apr  6 13:36:01 NM[716]: <info> (eth0): supplicant interface state: scanning -> associating
  Apr  6 13:36:01 NM[716]: NM[716]: <info> (eth0): supplicant interface state: scanning -> associating
  Apr  6 13:36:06 NM[716]: <info> (eth0): supplicant interface state: associating -> scanning
  Apr  6 13:36:06 NM[716]: NM[716]: <info> (eth0): supplicant interface state: associating -> scanning
  Apr  6 13:36:09 NM[716]: <info> (eth0): supplicant interface state: scanning -> associating
  Apr  6 13:36:09 NM[716]: NM[716]: <info> (eth0): supplicant interface state: scanning -> associating
  Apr  6 13:36:14 NM[716]: <info> (eth0): supplicant interface state: associating -> scanning
  Apr  6 13:36:14 NM[716]: NM[716]: <info> (eth0): supplicant interface state: associating -> scanning
  Apr  6 13:36:17 NM[716]: <info> (eth0): supplicant interface state: scanning -> associating
  Apr  6 13:36:17 NM[716]: NM[716]: <info> (eth0): supplicant interface state: scanning -> associating
  Apr  6 13:36:22 NM[716]: <info> (eth0): supplicant interface state: associating -> scanning
  Apr  6 13:36:22 NM[716]: NM[716]: <info> (eth0): supplicant interface state: associating -> scanning
  Apr  6 13:36:22 NM[716]: <warn> Activation (eth0/wireless): association took too long, failing activation.
  Apr  6 13:36:22 NM[716]: <info> (eth0): device state change: config -> failed (reason 'supplicant-timeout') [50 120 11]
  Apr  6 13:36:22 NM[716]: <warn> Activation (eth0) failed for access point (myssid)
  Apr  6 13:36:22 NM[716]: <warn> Activation (eth0) failed.
  Apr  6 13:36:22 NM[716]: <info> (eth0): device state change: failed -> disconnected (reason 'none') [120 30 0]
  Apr  6 13:36:22 NM[716]: <info> (eth0): deactivating device (reason 'none') [0]
  Apr  6 13:36:23 NM[716]: NM[716]: <warn> Activation (eth0/wireless): association took too long, failing activation.
  Apr  6 13:36:23 NM[716]: NM[716]: <info> (eth0): device state change: config -> failed (reason 'supplicant-timeout') [50 120 11]
  Apr  6 13:36:23 NM[716]: NM[716]: <warn> Activation (eth0) failed for access point (myssid)
  Apr  6 13:36:23 NM[716]: NM[716]: <warn> Activation (eth0) failed.
  Apr  6 13:36:23 NM[716]: NM[716]: <info> (eth0): device state change: failed -> disconnected (reason 'none') [120 30 0]
  Apr  6 13:36:23 NM[716]: NM[716]: <info> (eth0): deactivating device (reason 'none') [0]
  Apr  6 13:36:23 NM[716]: NM[716]: <warn> Couldn't disconnect supplicant interface: This interface is not connected.
  Apr  6 13:36:23 NM[716]: <warn> Couldn't disconnect supplicant interface: This interface is not connected.
  Apr  6 13:36:23 NM[716]: NM[716]: <warn> Couldn't disconnect supplicant interface: This interface is not connected.
  Apr  6 13:36:23 NM[716]: <warn> Couldn't disconnect supplicant interface: This interface is not connected.
  Apr  6 13:36:25 NM[716]: <info> (eth0): supplicant interface state: scanning -> inactive
  Apr  6 13:36:25 NM[716]: NM[716]: <info> (eth0): supplicant interface state: scanning -> inactive

--------------------

Thanks in advance for any help anyone can offer.

-ts1971

--
ts1971
ts1971's Profile: http://forums.opensuse.org/member.php?userid=66396
View this thread: http://forums.opensuse.org/showthread.php?t=473885

0
ts1971

Network Manager sees networks can't connect
Used to work perfectly. I attempted to install VPN client, result is can't connect to anything. Networks are seen by network manager, nothing happens when click connect. Assistance much appreciated. Have done my best to follow instructions in sticky for wireless problems. Results below: Wireless LAN present in Hardware information. Atheros AR242x 802.11abg Wireless PCI Express Adapter (wlan0) Kernel Driver: ath5k 168c:001c /var/log/boot.msg search of document does not find any use of word 'firmware' no sign of mention of 'radio kill switch' document...

Can't connect to network [network card seems to be OK]
Hi everyone... yesterday i've installed openSuse 11.2 on my laptop (dell studio 15). Today at work i tried to connect to the wireless network, but i couldn't. First, the network card wasn't being recognized, but after a long time trying i was able to set it up, for this i used this command: Code: -------------------- zypper in broadcom-wl broadcom-wl-kmp-desktop -------------------- So now, the networkmanager detects all the networks around, but i cannot (or i don't know how to) connect to any. I've also tried to configure my connections with yas...

Can connect to local network, can't connect to the www
I was following the "Getting your wireless to work" sticky and I've my local network working as I can ping both the router as well as other computers in the network. I however can not ping any external ip address (tried with 74.125.45.100 which is googles and pingable from my other laptop). It's a broadcom card that was working fine up till recently (drivers obtained via fw-cutter), however it stopped working a few days ago and my attempts at getting it work to again seem to have done more harm than good now. IPv6 is disabled and the network is set to use ifup. ...

Can't connect to any network cable/wireless
hi, I'm new to linux/openSUSE, and i recently installed it on my laptop. The other day i was tired of the short battery time, so i googled around and found powertop, ran it and did what it suggested i should do, which might have been a stupid idea without know what i was doing. Anyhow now when my laptop has finished booting it takes about 10 min before the network icon appears in in the panel. i'm running openSUSE 11.4 -- pronoes ------------------------------------------------------------------------ I think mate that you will have to give more info about ...

After Hibernate or Sleep can't connect to any wireless network
Hi, this is my first post on openSUSE's forum, I'm moving from other distros. and I'm currently loving openSUSE and I'm probably going to stick with it for a long time. I have already googled for this, but I found no solution, but I figured this should be a common problem... Does google searches inside this forum? Now... for my problem, whenever I hibernate (suspend to disk) or sleep (suspend to ram) I can't resume my wireless connection nor connect to another. I don't know if this is an issue if I use cables, because I simply don't with my netbook: ...

Wireless network connects fine but can't resolve hosts
I've just installed opensuse and the network connects fine to my wireless router. I have no problem pinging the router or other computers on the network, but I can't connect to anything outside my local network. (the network card is a well supported intel 3945) My route output looks like this: Code: -------------------- Destination Gateway Genmask Flags Metric Ref Use Iface 10.0.0.0 * 255.255.255.0 U 2 0 0 wlan0 -------------------- Which seems different from another laptop running Arch linux which g...

Can't get my samsung N150 to connect to any wireless networks.
Please help bit of a novice with all this. I have brought my son a samsung n150 mini laptop. It has a "realtek rtl8192e wireless lan 802.11n pci-e nic" card fitted to it. I have tried downloading the drivers from samsung and realtek, but still can't get it to connect. It see's the local connections but when i try to connect it says it is unable to. Any help would be great as i really want it working by the 30th july as its my sons birthday. many thanks colin -- woj89 ------------------------------------------------------------------------ On 07/19/...

11.3 32-bit: Can't connect to my home network
While my wireless is generally working, there's one problem: I can't connect to my home network through it on my laptop. My desktop (which has an Atheros-based wireless card and is configured through ifup) connects just fine, as does another family member's laptop (also with an Atheros chip, but using NetworkManager) My laptop (With an Intel Centrino wireless chip), however, will not connect to the home router, though it can connect to public (unprotected) access points such as the one at my school. My home network is a private (hidden) network and also requires a WEP key...

Intel Pro wireless 4965 can't connect to WPA network
I am having a problem getting my Intel ProWireless 4965AGN wireless card to work under SuSE 11.1. I can connect to the WPA encrypted network with no problem under Vista on the same laptop. I have tried it also under Ubuntu 8.10 and it isn't working under it either. I am however able to connect to a non-encrypted neighbor's network with no problem under both SuSE 11.1 and Ubuntu 8.10. I am hoping someone has a solution for this issue as I don't really feel good about hijacking my neighbor's wireless. Here is some info on the card: Code: -------------------- ...

Unable to read from the 'tcpip' network connection/Unable to write to the 'tcpip' network connection
Consolidated: Oracle 9.2 MobiLink A: ASA 8.0.2 Build 4322 MobiLink B: ASA 8.0.2 Build 4251 Remote: ASA 8.0.2 Build 4251 I have begun to receive the following messages immediately following the 'Sending the download to the remote database.' line within the MobiLink instance log. Error: Unable to read from the 'tcpip' network connection. Unable to read 2 bytes. Error: Unable to write to the 'tcpip' network connection. Unable to write 2 bytes. The system-specific error code is 10054 (hex 00002746). This seems to occur on either of the MobiLink instances (r...

Network Manager won't connect to wireless connection
hello I just noticed this today, it worked fine when I first installed suse but now it doesn't. Network Manager will scan and show the available networks alright it just wont connect...I just get Wlan Disconnected when it shouldn't be. I don't even "get the gear turning" on the network manager icon just nothing at all. also I did have compat wireless installed (automatically not on my own merit) and nothing worked at all till I uninstalled it now I have this problem..there wouldn't be any dependencies from compat that would causing this would there? hope you...

Atheros AR928X Can see networks but can't connect
Hi! I just installed OpenSuSE 11.3 x86_64, and as I'm new to OpenSuSE I can't get my wireless to work. I believe it should work because it worked out of the box in Ubuntu (9.10 and 10.04) At first I didn't see any network icon in the notification area, but after some googling figured out to enable NetworkManager instead of ifup. Now there is an icon, and clicking it I can see wireless networks, but when I try to connect it tries for a while, then seems to give up. /sbin/lspci gives Code: -------------------- Network controller: Atheros Communications Inc. ...

can't login report when see printer network and can login report but not see printer network
Dear all I have a problem in my programe that I writting by C# in ASP.NET I have a report created by Crystal Report 10 and get data from stored procedure with a date parameter passing. in a ASP.NET page, I created:- 01 textbox for input a date- 01 dropdownlist to list all the printer in my computer (local printer and network)- 01 crystal report viewer to see the crystal report created above.- 02 button: preview and print. A problem is: If I don't use the tag <indentity> in the web.config, I can't see the network printer, but I can see the report from crystal viewer norma...

i can' t connect to network
victor@linux-debn:~> dmesg | grep firmware [ 8.769511] prism2_usb: Checking for firmware prism2_ru.hex [ 8.769520] usb 3-1: firmware: requesting prism2_ru.hex victor@linux-debn:~> sudo /usr/sbin/iwlist scan Contraseña: lo Interface doesn't support scanning. eth0 Interface doesn't support scanning. wlan0 Scan completed : Cell 01 - Address: 00:21:91:4D:C8:DC ESSID:"Gaspar reloaded" Mode:Master Encryption key:on Channel:1 Quality:80/100 Signal level:-60 dBm Noise level:-92 dBm -- victorhugo7 -----------------------...

Web resources about - Can't connect to home network - opensuse.network.wireless