HowTo stream webcam video to the net?

I wonder if anyone here has succeeded in streaming the video of a local
webcam to the internet?

Some research has turned up 'webcam_server Project Home Page'
(http://webcamserver.sourceforge.net/) but unfortunately it only
supports v4l, not v4l2 and is no longer maintained.

It seems to be possible with VLC server, but I'm a bit reluctant,
because their repo is said to break other things. I still have 11.1
here. Anyone who has done it? And how?

--
Technology is 'stuff that doesn�t work yet.' -- Bran Ferren

vodoo
3/7/2010 1:06:01 PM
opensuse.apps.multimedia 3307 articles. 0 followers. Follow

Found 'flumotion', don't know if that suits your needs.

--
- Athlon X2 6.0 GHz, 8 GB, 30 GB SSD, 1.5 TB, 9800GT, 11.2+KDE4 4.4
- ASUS K70IO laptop, GT120M-1GB, 4 GB, 64 GB SSD, 11.2+KDE4 4.4

*Anything that can go wrong.... will teach us*
Knurpht's Profile: http://forums.opensuse.org/member.php?userid=783
View this thread: http://forums.opensuse.org/showthread.php?t=434617

0
Knurpht
3/7/2010 1:26:02 PM
Thanks. I installed flumotion from packman, tried it. It went to the
point when it says 'Probing the webcam. This may take a while ...' and
then it eats all available CPU and is stuck. It's a pity.

--
Technology is 'stuff that doesn�t work yet.' -- Bran Ferren
vodoo's Profile: http://forums.opensuse.org/member.php?userid=18902
View this thread: http://forums.opensuse.org/showthread.php?t=434617

0
vodoo
3/7/2010 3:06:02 PM
In the meantime I found another interesting project to stream video from
the webcam: it's 'mjpg-streamer'
(http://mjpg-streamer.svn.sourceforge.net/viewvc/mjpg-streamer/) SVN
repository on Sourceforge which I checked out. It compiles well, but so
far I had no success to get it working (well, its supposed to work, as
it did before for many others; maybe I am just too stupid). Anyway, if
you try it out and have some success please let me know.

--
Technology is 'stuff that doesn�t work yet.' -- Bran Ferren
vodoo's Profile: http://forums.opensuse.org/member.php?userid=18902
View this thread: http://forums.opensuse.org/showthread.php?t=434617

0
vodoo
3/7/2010 6:36:01 PM
Finally: I can report that mjpg-streamer works fine. It is small and
lightweight, uses only minimal CPU. It needs an UVC compliant webcam
able to produce output in MJPEG format.

Using mjpg-streamer is great fun. Invocation is like:

Code:
--------------------
    mjpg_streamer -i "input_uvc.so -d /dev/video0 -r 640x480 -f 15" -o "output_http.so -w /usr/local/www -p 8080"
--------------------

and then you point your browser at *'http://localhost:8080/'* for local
viewing or open the firewall and view from anywhere in the world. Other
ports can be selected (I wonder which one is best). Very recommended.

--
Technology is 'stuff that doesn�t work yet.' -- Bran Ferren
vodoo's Profile: http://forums.opensuse.org/member.php?userid=18902
View this thread: http://forums.opensuse.org/showthread.php?t=434617

0
vodoo
3/8/2010 1:46:01 PM
Hi Vodoo,

Have installed mjpg-streamer using your package. When I try to run it,
I get "Unable to set format 1196444237 res: 640x480.

Any clue as to why?

Cheers - AK

--
antttikutoja
antttikutoja's Profile: http://forums.opensuse.org/member.php?userid=22827
View this thread: http://forums.opensuse.org/showthread.php?t=434617

0
antttikutoja
2/22/2012 7:06:02 AM
Hi again,

The cam's driver is pwc and I am unsure if this fits with the
input_uvc.so so I tried the input_gspcav1.so one instead.

This time, I got "Couldn't get videodevice capability". I've tried the
"LD_PRELOAD of v4l1compat.so but result is the same.

VLC can capture the cam using video for linux 2.

--
antttikutoja
antttikutoja's Profile: http://forums.opensuse.org/member.php?userid=22827
View this thread: http://forums.opensuse.org/showthread.php?t=434617

0
antttikutoja
2/22/2012 9:36:02 AM
A quick FYI -
I haven't done it recently, but in the past found that setting up VLC
to stream video was very easy and perhaps most importantly is a highly
configurable solution supporting may options like bitrate, screen sizes,
protocols, hardware acceleration (was experimental then but worked
nicely for me) and some pretty cool auto-discovery for simple LAN
broadcasting.

Doesn't require anything more minimally than the standard VLC client,
but the viewers must also be running VLC.

I have VLC already installed because it's so powerful as a universal
multimedia client, so it wasn't any issue for me to also use it as a
server.

Remember than on the fly encoding is extremely resource-intensive, you
can throw a ton of expensive processing power and it'll probably still
be lacking if you're expecting quality streaming.

HTH,
TS

--
tsu2
tsu2's Profile: http://forums.opensuse.org/member.php?userid=2578
View this thread: http://forums.opensuse.org/showthread.php?t=434617

0
tsu2
3/1/2012 12:46:53 AM
antttikutoja;2442504 Wrote:

> The cam's driver is pwc and I am unsure if this fits with the
> input_uvc.so so I tried the input_gspcav1.so one instead.

pwc is NOT uvc, and support for pwc driver has been degrading until
very recently, when someone started working on it again.  Take a look at
this thread:
http://forums.opensuse.org/forums/english/get-technical-help-here/multimedia/470778-camera-problem-opensuse-12-1-a.html

--
oldcpu
oldcpu's Profile: http://forums.opensuse.org/member.php?userid=77
View this thread: http://forums.opensuse.org/showthread.php?t=434617

0
oldcpu
3/1/2012 6:46:03 AM
tsu, oldcpu

I tried also VLC and, although it was able to capture the camera,
downstream VLCs could not display them. Something to do with decoding
the stream judging from the error messages.

We got hold of some modern cameras that are driven by the uvc driver
and used mjpg_streamer with total success. It would seem that
mjpg_streamer ifnores the parameter that is supposed to tell it where
its www files are. Only way I could get it to use these was to locate
them at /www. Not good and have posted a comment to their site.

Using VLC as a server also worked fine but, as tsu mentions, it used a
lot of resource.

My recommendation would be to go with mjpg_streamer. It's very
lightweight and can easily be started during the boot process so an
unattended server can be used.

Am now looking into Zone Minder hoping to use mjpg_streamer to capture
the streams to monitor.

Thanks for your replies.

Cheers - VP

--
antttikutoja
antttikutoja's Profile: http://forums.opensuse.org/member.php?userid=22827
View this thread: http://forums.opensuse.org/showthread.php?t=434617

0
antttikutoja

Converting .net desktop application(vb.net app) to .net web application(asp.net app)
is it possible to convert/upgrad .net desktop application(vb.net application) to .net web application(asp.net application) ? If possible how? is there any extra software or wrapper for it? If possible please...Thanks..  There is no conversion software or wrappers that I know of. For the most part, you will have to rewrite it since the platforms are completely different.Cheers,       Kevin JonesMy Blog...

Video Stream Send to WDM Video Capture driver using DirectX Show.net
Hi guys,I am developing application for Virtual Camera in C#. net and vb.net using DirectXShow.net libraries. I have search Overlay Mixer that a such way. where i can send Video stream to WDM Video Capture Driver. Then This Driver luach this stream as a webcam. here is article:http://msdn.microsoft.com/library/default.asp?url=/library/en-us/directshow/htm/overlaymixerfilter.aspBut i have no code for handling these thinks. Please any one have any source code in vb.net or C#.net that can i send stream to WDM Video Capture driver.Or another way to developa virtual webcam as in features in VCDCu...

(VIDEO SERVICES | VIDEO MIX | VIDEO CHAT | VIDEO CHANNELS | VIDEO CONFERENCE | VIDEO DATING | ONLINE VIDEO CHAT) on Mixmir.net .
Name: mixerok Email: superadikdotvatgmaildotcom Product: eBay Companion Summary: (VIDEO SERVICES | VIDEO MIX | VIDEO CHAT | VIDEO CHANNELS | VIDEO CONFERENCE | VIDEO DATING | ONLINE VIDEO CHAT) on Mixmir.net . Comments: Hello !! Here are found online video chat Mixmir.net !!! <url = http://www.mixmir.net/videomix/conference/index.php> Direct Link </ url> While !! And who wants is www dating <url = http://www.mixmir.net/dating/index.php> dating free </ url> ... As well Directory of useful sites <url = http://www.mixmir...

(VIDEO SERVICES | VIDEO MIX | VIDEO CHAT | VIDEO CHANNELS | VIDEO CONFERENCE | VIDEO DATING | ONLINE VIDEO CHAT) on Mixmir.net !!
Name: mixerok Email: superadikdotvatgmaildotcom Product: eBay Companion Summary: (VIDEO SERVICES | VIDEO MIX | VIDEO CHAT | VIDEO CHANNELS | VIDEO CONFERENCE | VIDEO DATING | ONLINE VIDEO CHAT) on Mixmir.net !! Comments: Hello ! Here are found watch live broadcast tv Mixmir.net !! <url = http://www.mixmir.net/videomix/index.php> Internet Path </ url> Success !! As well is dating men <url = http://www.mixmir.net/dating/index.php> Want to make new friends? </ url> ... And who should be there Web Directory <url = http:...

Video Streaming in ASP.NET
----------------------- Edit by Colt ------------------------- Subject change: Need Help -> Video Streaming in ASP.NET ----------------------- Edit by Colt ------------------------- Hi everyone, I am a beginnner in ASP.NET now doing a project on it so i will like to include video streaming in my program eg: like viewing of the live video of channelnewsasia. I need this help ugrently so is there any sample codes or anyone can guide me how to do it thanks in advance Please read this: Ways to Display Video There are three basic ways to display video on a We...

Streaming video in asp .net
Hey, I need streaming video at my site. I thought about embeded windows media player but it has 2 disadvantages like annoying security warning and no preview(you must click play to see first frame). So then I thought about converting wmv to flv. I read about ffmpeg. It works on localhost but when I sent it into server it doesn't work. Probably reason is none of permissions to run new process. I think you should check out the how to videos on www.silverlight.net There's some really cool video and other things.  The carosel to display media is a built in control you just ha...

Video stream with ASP.NET
I want to use ASP.NET to do video stream. But I didn't know how to start. Any sugestions? thanks...

Streaming video and net access
Hi everyone, I just visited a site that offered to show a video in either Windows Media player, QuickTime or RealAudio. All three triggered Zone Alarm. I is it neccesary for these programs to �cces tthe internet'? TIA, Jan "Jan Doggen" <massoft@tref.nl> wrote in message news:a6dihd$2942$1@news.grc.com... > Hi everyone, > > I just visited a site that offered to show a video in either Windows Media > player, QuickTime or RealAudio. > All three triggered Zone Alarm. > > I is it neccesary for these programs to �cces tthe internet'...

How to stream webcam between client and server app?
Hi, i am seeking for a good way or code sample to stream webcam in c++ builder between client/ serveur application. i found some samples that use image capture from a webcam and save this pics on local disk and send it by using varouis protocols if any have a good suggestion plz help. many Tkx. ...

Video streaming from Asp.net page
Hi, I am new to Asp.net. I have a small web application, which lists all the files, that are available in a server location, in a tree format. When a tree node with the file name is clicked, we need to open that file in the respective application. When it comes to video files, we want the video files to be played in the  available video player (windows media player, real player etc.), without waiting for the file to be downloaded fully. That is, the player has to start playing the video, when it is comfortable, without waiting for full download (Buffering). I require help in achievin...

Video stream embedded in IW app
Anyone using 3rd party video streaming with an IW app? I am building an internal tutorial app and looking for some pointers or guidance. Thanks. Looked at that and concluded bets way is to upload to youtube or http://screencast.com and put link within app , let them handle the streaming On 10/12/2012 08:16 AM, Lou Feliz wrote: > Anyone using 3rd party video streaming with an IW app? I am building an > internal tutorial app and looking for some pointers or guidance. > > Thanks. > > {quote:title=Lou Feliz wrote:}{quote} > Anyone using 3rd party video ...

Recommended webcam video capture apps?
Trying not to reinstall the Logitech software that came with my Quickcam Messenger, because I hate it. I know of a few webcam video capture apps, but would appreciate any recommendations from le clique. Free, natch. THX JLJ JLJ wrote: > Trying not to reinstall the Logitech software that came with my Quickcam > Messenger, because I hate it. I know of a few webcam video capture apps, > but would appreciate any recommendations from le clique. Free, natch. > THX JLJ I have used VLC to capture from webcams. Worked for my simple purposes. Orson "JLJ" <...

streaming video & ASP.net
Is there any example of how to grab live video from one web application using a video conferencing or webcam even device and deliver it to another user? Kinda of i think MSN messenger does it - where the video is in the the main conversation panel - but instead of a conversation panel - a user control on a web application. I have a feeling DirectPlay maybe involved. Thanks again. 2 wrongs don't make a right - but three lefts do...

Streaming video system in asp.net
I am hoping to create a dynamic page that will list streaming video files that will be easily accessible by the end user with just a click. There will be a large number of video files and they will be added on a semi-regular basis. Also is there a way to have a thumbnail dynamically appear? If anyone knows of any good tutorials on this (or book) please give me a push in the right direction. Thank you very much! Wish7Peace, Love & Nappiness FFMPEG should help you http://sourceforge.net/projects/ffmpeg/  you can use this command with it to get the thumbnail ffmpeg.exe -i <P...

Web resources about - HowTo stream webcam video to the net? - opensuse.apps.multimedia

Tyburn (stream) - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia
The Tyburn is a stream in London , which runs underground from South Hampstead through St. James's Park to meet the River Thames at Pimlico near ...

MetroPCS getting its own version of Music Freedom, to stream unlimited Apple Music on $40+/mo plans
T-Mobile is extending its popular Music Freedom service, which allows unlimited use of Apple Music and other streaming music services without ...

Google will now let you stream apps directly from Google Search
... get information from HotelTonight.com, but also the HotelTonight mobile application. Additionally, you'll also start seeing an option to 'stream' ...

Massive share of US millennials stream video on Netflix and YouTube
... 18-34) to explore their digital media consumption habits. The survey found that Netflix and YouTube were overwhelmingly the most common streaming ...

Google now lets users stream mobile apps
Google has unveiled technology that allows Android users to stream apps without downloading them first.

Google is Now Letting You “Stream” Apps Without Ever Installing Them
... Google to show information from apps that are stand-alone properties. Second, Google is beginning to test the idea of being able to “stream” ...

Google search can stream apps to your Android phone
... the thought of downloading the app to give it a shot? Google clearly has: as part of a broader mobile search revamp, it's introducing app streaming ...

Google Can Now Stream Select AppsAnd Search Their Content
... today, Google's search engine will index information exclusively contained inside Android apps and will even offer users a chance to stream ...

Adele's '25' Won't Stream On Services Like Spotify
Adele's hugely anticipated new album "25" comes out on Friday but if you've been counting on using a streaming service such as Spotify or Apple ...

Watch England Vs. France Live Stream From London, Friendly Football Match Will Go On Despite Paris Terrorist ...
Watch England vs. France live stream from Wembley Stadium in London in a historic friendly match on Tuesday, November 17. The match will go on ...

resources last updated: 11/20/2015 12:27:51 PM