Flash-Player crashes in FireFox

Hello,
got an annoying problem here: my flash player crashes on nearly every single
content it plays (videos, music, advertisements (!), ...).

I dug the internet but could not find any reports that describe the same
behaviour as I experience. There are millions of reports, but they differ in
my eyes.

Typically the player crashes only after a tiny amount of time, say 0.1-0.5
secs of playing. It might make it longer now and then when there is no other
flash player active in any tab. If a second instance comes it is certain
that both have already crashed. I sent uncounted crash reports to Mozilla.

Now before everyone rants about Adobe and flash player being born from hell
please note, that the same plugin works perfectly when I use another browser
(Konqueror). That is, the same file (libflashplayer.so) works. So I
concluded that this is a Firfox problem, not a general flash problem. Though
I do not want to make any claims about the quality of the flash player :-)

This is the setup:
Firefox-6.0, KDE-4.7.1, openSUSE-11.4, x86-64 (MBP)
I had these problems using flash-10.3 as offered by the openSUSE
repositories. I upgraded as suggested in a number of threads to flash-11.0,
no change. No difference if hardware acceleration is active or not.

I switched from Konqueror to Firefox some time ago. Obviously because todays
smart web pages work only on few browsers. But since flash is still to be
found on so many pages the browsing experience is horrible. So I see that I
am more and more switching back to Konqueror which has improved much over
the last years. and it integrates better into my desktop anyway.

Nevertheless:
Does anyone have a suggestion for my what else I could try ?

Thanks, arkascha

0
arkascha
9/21/2011 7:19:53 AM
opensuse.apps.multimedia 3307 articles. 0 followers. Follow

Rename your .mozilla folder to
.mozilla-old

start firefox
It will be like you never used it before. But does flash work now?

--
Box: 11.4 | Gnome 2.3 | AMD 64 X2 5200+ | nVidia 8500GT | 4GB RAM
Lap #1: 11.4  | Duo T4300 | KDE 4.7.1 | Intel M4 Graphics | Lenovo G550
| 3GB RAM
Lap#2: 11.4  | Gnome | Celeron 550 | Intel 965GM | Lenovo R61 |
'Carl's_Multimedia_Oneclick'
(http://forums.opensuse.org/blogs/caf4926/my-multimedia-oneclick-30/)
'My_Guides' (http://tinyurl.com/6cabu2j)
caf4926's Profile: http://forums.opensuse.org/member.php?userid=204
View this thread: http://forums.opensuse.org/showthread.php?t=465486

0
caf4926
9/21/2011 7:36:03 AM
Hi !

caf4926 wrote:
> Rename your .mozilla folder to .mozilla-old
> start firefox
> It will be like you never used it before. But does flash work now?

No, flash crashes as before and as reliable.

---
arkascha
0
arkascha
9/21/2011 2:32:06 PM
Make sure you don't have gnash installed

Confirm the firefox version?! Where is it from (repo)

--
Box: 11.4 | Gnome 2.3 | AMD 64 X2 5200+ | nVidia 8500GT | 4GB RAM
Lap #1: 11.4  | Duo T4300 | KDE 4.7.1 | Intel M4 Graphics | Lenovo G550
| 3GB RAM
Lap#2: 11.4  | Gnome | Celeron 550 | Intel 965GM | Lenovo R61 |
'Carl's_Multimedia_Oneclick'
(http://forums.opensuse.org/blogs/caf4926/my-multimedia-oneclick-30/)
'My_Guides' (http://tinyurl.com/6cabu2j)
caf4926's Profile: http://forums.opensuse.org/member.php?userid=204
View this thread: http://forums.opensuse.org/showthread.php?t=465486

0
caf4926
9/21/2011 3:06:02 PM
what flash do you have installed on this 64 bit suse ?
the 32 bit ?
or the 64 bit ?

the 64 bit dose require a lot of manual installing and removing of the
3 bit wrappers

I have been using the 64 bit on 11.3 and 11.4 with no issues . But only
after removing the 32bit wrapper version and* in the 64 bit build of
firefox6 *and seamonkey

--
nvidia GeForce GTS 240 , NVIDIA-Linux-x86_64-260.19.12.run
--- My Celestia add on's ---
View this thread: http://forums.opensuse.org/showthread.php?t=465486

0
JohnVV
9/21/2011 7:56:02 PM
caf4926 wrote:

> Make sure you don't have gnash installed
Gnash is not installed, no files are left over (checked by installing,
getting a file list, deinstalling and manually tracking all files
mentioned).

> Confirm the firefox version?! Where is it from (repo)
As written: Firefox-6.0 (rechecked that from within firefox), installed from
the official opensuse update repository.
I also tried moving all mozilla packages over to the official Mozilla
repository at OBS for a test, this also provides version 6.0.

Flash is running in very few occasions, usually it crashes after a few
microseconds.

arkascha
0
arkascha
9/22/2011 8:24:16 AM
JohnVV wrote:

> what flash do you have installed on this 64 bit suse ?
> the 32 bit ?
> or the 64 bit ?

I had the same problems with the 32bit flash oin version 10.3, so I tried
the 64 bit version 11 from adobe.
I installed in manually and pushed the files where they belong (the tar or
rpm package from adobe is horrible...).
Exactly the same behaviour. That is why I suspect that it is not flash
itself that is the problem.

> the 64 bit dose require a lot of manual installing and removing of the
> 3 bit wrappers
Sure.

> I have been using the 64 bit on 11.3 and 11.4 with no issues . But only
> after removing the 32bit wrapper version and* in the 64 bit build of
> firefox6 *and seamonkey

Re-checked that again, thanks.
No leftovers, I replaced even the png icons :-)
So now it is a clean 64 bit version of firefox and a 64 bit version of
flash-11.

arkascha
0
arkascha
9/22/2011 8:26:57 AM
then i am as a bit of a loss .
I can tell you my set up , it IS a bit different that yours
I am NOT using the rpm in the repo but the 64 bit firefox 6.0.2 64 bit
build
-- ftp location --
http://tinyurl.com/3fk5gr5

grabbed the 11 r1 64 bit adobe flash

installed ff to a partition off the / partition ( i keep a DATA
partition so i can fubar the install an NOT loose programs I installed
, it makes for an easy reinstall of the OS )
*removed Firefox & flash with yast *also removed the totem plugins ( i
use the gecko plugins )
installed the NEW flash to /usr/lib64/browser-plugins
and copy the NEW /usr included to /

RENAME "npwrapper.so" to
/usr/lib/nspluginwrapper/x86_64/linux/npwrapper.so.off - this brakes
links to it

( on my set up - yours will be different) i can not link
/usr/lib64/browser-pligins to the ff install plugins folder -- it is on
a different partition , so i copy it .

start up the new FF ( use alacarte to make a new desktop launcher )

type in into the url space

Code:
--------------------

  about:plugins
--------------------

and look to see if it is there .

--
nvidia GeForce GTS 240 , NVIDIA-Linux-x86_64-260.19.12.run
--- My Celestia add on's ---
http://celestiamotherlode.net/catalog/show_creator_details.php?creator_id=10
JohnVV's Profile: http://forums.opensuse.org/member.php?userid=49226
View this thread: http://forums.opensuse.org/showthread.php?t=465486

0
JohnVV
9/22/2011 9:46:03 AM
On 09/22/2011 10:24 AM, arkascha wrote:
> Flash is running in very few occasions, usually it crashes after a few
> microseconds.

have you tried:

http://forums.opensuse.org/english/get-technical-help-here/how-faq-forums/unreviewed-how-faq/459950-fix-your-flash-11-4-_64-flash-square.html

--
DD
[url=http://tinyurl.com/DD-Caveat]Caveat[/url]

DenverD wrote:
> have you tried:
> http://forums.opensuse.org/english/get-technical-help-here/how-faq-
forums/unreviewed-how-faq/459950-fix-your-flash-11-4-_64-flash-square.html

Didn't you read my posts above ?

0
arkascha
9/22/2011 4:45:11 PM
Hi, thanks for the reply...

JohnVV wrote:
> then i am as a bit of a loss .
> I can tell you my set up , it IS a bit different that yours [...]
I do not use the rpms from Adobe, so my setup should be holding the same
files at the same locations. nspluginwrapper is not installed either.

> I am NOT using the rpm in the repo but the 64 bit firefox 6.0.2 64 bit
> build
> -- ftp location --
> http://tinyurl.com/3fk5gr5

Sorry, but I dont want to install "wild" binaries into my system unless I
really have to. I doubt there is a general problem with the Firefox package
provided by the OBS or the Mozilla repository. Otherwise there would be more
complaints about it.
Reading your further comments I don't see any real difference to my setup.
True, I use the firefox rpm, therefor the browser is installed in the
"normal" place. But there are reasons for using packages and I doubt the
application will suddenly behave different just because it is installed in a
different place.
Unless I see a real reason why your setup should behave different this all
sounds like "I try as many things as possible until things are different
enough so that something changes". That is not really the way I like to
solve problems. No offense meant !

arkascha
0
arkascha
9/22/2011 4:59:02 PM
On 09/22/2011 06:45 PM, arkascha wrote:
> Didn't you read my posts above ?

the one where you say "I do not use the rpms from Adobe" and "I dont
want to install "wild" binaries"?

or, was it another one i missed??

because the one i quoted from above was posted one hour and 29 minutes
*after* mine...so, no i didn't read it, because i can't in the
future...yet, but i'm working on it..  :)

--
DD
openSUSE®, the "German Automobiles" of operating systems
0
DenverD
9/22/2011 5:20:02 PM

> I do not use the rpms from Adobe
nor do I
i did NOT install a rpm from adobe
but the OFFICIAL 64 bit flash 11 r1 tarbal
flashplayer11_rc1_install_lin_64_090611.tar.gz

--
nvidia GeForce GTS 240 , NVIDIA-Linux-x86_64-260.19.12.run
--- My Celestia add on's ---
http://celestiamotherlode.net/catalog/show_creator_details.php?creator_id=10
JohnVV's Profile: http://forums.opensuse.org/member.php?userid=49226
View this thread: http://forums.opensuse.org/showthread.php?t=465486

0
JohnVV
9/22/2011 7:46:02 PM
DenverD wrote:

> On 09/22/2011 06:45 PM, arkascha wrote:
>> Didn't you read my posts above ?
>
> the one where you say "I do not use the rpms from Adobe" and "I dont
> want to install "wild" binaries"?
>
> or, was it another one i missed??
>
> because the one i quoted from above was posted one hour and 29 minutes
> *after* mine...so, no i didn't read it, because i can't in the
> future...yet, but i'm working on it..  :)

:-)

No, I referred to the message from 10:26 where I wrote that I tried version
11 in 64 bit. So actually about 7 hours before your message. But you are
right, I got confised with the threads, it was a reply to some other
question. I thought I wrote further up that it is the version 11 I use. My
fault.

So basically my reply to your question is:
I tried version 11 in 64 bit (newer than the one mentioned in the article
you gave the url to). But I get the same behaviour: crashes.
0
arkascha
9/22/2011 9:09:48 PM
Have you tried switching back to firefox 3?

--
Box: 11.4 | Gnome 2.3 | AMD 64 X2 5200+ | nVidia 8500GT | 4GB RAM
Lap #1: 11.4  | Duo T4300 | KDE 4.7.1 | Intel M4 Graphics | Lenovo G550
| 3GB RAM
Lap#2: 11.4  | Gnome | Celeron 550 | Intel 965GM | Lenovo R61 |
'Carl's_Multimedia_Oneclick'
(http://forums.opensuse.org/blogs/caf4926/my-multimedia-oneclick-30/)
'My_Guides' (http://tinyurl.com/6cabu2j)
caf4926's Profile: http://forums.opensuse.org/member.php?userid=204
View this thread: http://forums.opensuse.org/showthread.php?t=465486

0
caf4926
9/23/2011 2:46:02 AM
caf4926 wrote:

> Have you tried switching back to firefox 3?
No, thanks. I might also try Mosaic again, yeah.
Honestly: as written I tend to use Konqueror again as my primary browser:
works, fast, flashes and integrates better into my desktop anyway.

:-)
0
arkascha

Firefox is crashing, crashing, crashing. Firefox is crashing, crashing, crashing
Name: chuck marshall Email: chuxatindustryinetdotcom Product: Firefox Summary: Firefox is crashing, crashing, crashing. Firefox is crashing, crashing, crashing Comments: Firefox is crashing, crashing, crashing in both ubuntu and wxp on a dual boot laptop. This is a bother. Do something. Tell me what is causing the browser to crap-out when trying to brows. I re-booted, I re-installed. I gave money to madam morningstar to sing a chant to change my f luck, but no dice. What did i do to piss you'll off? I don't want to use windows stuff, I have a spy program, a virus p...

Firefox continues to crash because of Flash PLayer.
Name: Lyle Glass Email: llglass2001atyahoodotcom Product: Firefox Release Candidate Summary: Firefox continues to crash because of Flash PLayer. Comments: Firefox continues to CRASH when I go to ANY site that uses Flash Player. This latest crash was on the RC2. There was NO REPORT given for this crash. So what do I do? or what can I do? Adobe will not or can not help me, there has been no response to my request. Browser Details: Mozilla/5.0 (Windows; U; Windows NT 5.1; en-US; rv:1.9.2) Gecko/20100115 Firefox/3.6 From URL: http://hendrix.mozilla.org/ Note to readers: Hend...

firefox crashes when installing flash player
Name: martim Email: martimatimamdesigndotcomdotbr Product: Firefox Summary: firefox crashes when installing flash player Comments: Hi, I can´t install a new flash player version cause my Firefox browser crashes. Maybe when the Flash call to JavaScript. I´ve installed the latest review (2.0.0.14) but no sucess. Just giving a feedback. You are doing a great job. case example: if acess this site () and install the a new flash version is needed it crashes. Browser Details: Mozilla/5.0 (Windows; U; Windows NT 5.1; pt-BR; rv:1.8.1.14) Gecko/20080404 Firefox/2.0.0....

Firefox Adobe Flash player crash
Name: Product: Firefox Summary: Firefox Adobe Flash player crash Comments: Adobe Flash players always crash when there are more than one players operating in different window tabs at the same time Browser Details: Mozilla/5.0 (Windows; U; Windows NT 5.1; en-US; rv:1.9.2.14) Gecko/20110121 Firefox/3.6.14 GTB7.1 From URL: http://hendrix.mozilla.org/ Note to readers: Hendrix gives no expectation of a response to this feedback but if you wish to provide one you must BCC (not CC) the sender for them to see it. ...

firefox crashes when installing flash player #2
Name: martim Email: martimatimamdesigndotcomdotbr Product: Firefox Summary: firefox crashes when installing flash player Comments: Hi, I can´t install a new flash player version cause my Firefox browser crashes. Maybe when the Flash call to JavaScript. I´ve installed the latest review (2.0.0.14) but no sucess. Just giving a feedback. You are doing a great job. case example: Accessing this site (http://www.whitegoldiswhitegold.com/) and install a new flash version is needed, Firefox crashes and can´t see the site. Regards, Martim Browser Details: Mo...

Adobe Flash Player Crashes in latest Firefox
Name: Christopher Hayden Email: christopheratmodusartsgroupdotcom Product: Firefox Summary: Adobe Flash Player Crashes in latest Firefox Comments: Hi. I thought you would like to know (as if you don't already by now) that after the latest update to v.3.6.4 a notification window warned me that many of my plug-ins were not compatible. In the next click it offered to get the compatible versions. It did. Since then I have had multiple Firefox crashes and Adobe Flash Player plug-in crashes. It might help you to know that I often have a 'pop-out' window displaying ...

Flash player crash in Firefox 4 b6
Name: Product: Firefox Summary: Flash player crash in Firefox 4 b6 Comments: Flash player crash in Firefox 4 b6 and Firefox don't work again... It's necessary restart firefox with task manager on windows 7 Browser Details: Mozilla/5.0 (Windows NT 6.1; rv:2.0b6) Gecko/20100101 Firefox/4.0b6 From URL: http://hendrix.mozilla.org/ Note to readers: Hendrix gives no expectation of a response to this feedback but if you wish to provide one you must BCC (not CC) the sender for them to see it. ...

Firefox 3 RC2 crashes with Flash Player
Name: Robbie Email: robbieatstartailprodotcodotuk Product: Firefox Release Candidate Summary: Firefox 3 RC2 crashes with Flash Player Comments: I do a lot of youtubing and so use the Flash Player a lot. In my profile, I can have the main video, where you uploaded something recently, and flash works fine. I can click on a video link or another profile and sometimes it will work. If have 2 profiles open in each tab, and on one of them go to another profile, it will crash. It looks like flash has a problem in closing itself. There are sometimes where I watch a video, in the m...

Mozilla Firefox 3.5.3 crashes with Adobe Flash Player
If Abode Flash Player (every version) is installed FireFox 3.5.3 crashes on opening every page. And FireFox doesn't remember password, cronology , access login ... ... anymore If Adobe Flash Player is not installed everything is ok, but a lot of sites ask you for installing latest version of Adobe Flash Player (to browse) ... so you're blocked at all. Thanks On Sep 10, 8:31=A0am, MatTDP <matsar...@gmail.com> wrote: > If Abode Flash Player (every version) is installed FireFox 3.5.3 > crashes on opening every page. And FireFox doesn't remember password, >...

firefox 3.5.2 crash with full screen flash player
Name: lArA Product: Firefox Summary: firefox 3.5.2 crash with full screen flash player Comments: openSuSE 11.1 Adobe Flash Player 10.0.32.18 firefox 3.0.12 works fine Browser Details: Mozilla/5.0 (X11; U; Linux i686; es-ES; rv:1.9.1.2) Gecko/20090729 Firefox/3.5.2 From URL: http://hendrix.mozilla.org/ Note to readers: Hendrix gives no expectation of a response to this feedback but if you wish to provide one you must BCC (not CC) the sender for them to see it. ...

Computer crash,Flash player 11.8.800.168, Firefox
My computer is getting intermintent crashes when play flash videos or the webpage is flash intensive only if firefox. I have to change the video card for now, from a NVidia MX4000 to a GigaByte GV-R955128D. The problem only i'm notice from a little ago, concidently after i update flash to the latest. Happen with Fx release and aurora, beta is not tested ...

Tip: Adobe Flash Player: fix pink screen and Firefox crashes
In the latest version of Adobe Flash Player, 10.2, there's a "great" feature (not...): hardware acceleration. Enabled by default. On many video cards (roughly all but Nvidia's running on the closed Nvidia driver), this causes pink screens in Flash video's and even Firefox crashes. Both in Firefox 3.x and in Firefox 4.x. The solution is, thankfully, rather simple: disable hardware acceleration. As follows: - Visit this website: 'Moodstream&#8482; by Getty Images' (http://moodstream.gettyimages.com/) (or any other that uses a special kind of flash...

Firefox CRASHES CRASHES AND CRASHES
I don't know what's wrong, but my Firefox crashes all the time. I've been advised to disable all of the addons, and I did so. But still it happens. The version of Firefox is 3.0.14. Opensuse is 11.1. system: 'HP Pavilion a 1730n' (http://tinyurl.com/27zn82) Let me know what I can do. I swear never had Firefox crashed when it was in its 2 versions. -- ipoloton ------------------------------------------------------------------------ Have you tried running a new profile by renaming the old one in /home/<user>/ ? Just rename .mozilla to some...

Firefox 3.5 crashes with flash player 10.0.32.18 (suse 10.3)
Hi I was using firefox 3.5.3 with flash player 9 (some version - not sure) and it was working fine. Today when youtube got opened it prompted me to upgrade flash to 10.0.32.18, i did so by installing ".rpm" using "rpm -Uvh flash-plugin-10.0.32.18-release.i386.rpm ". But after that whenever any flash embed sits (eg: youtube) opened, firefox is crashing. Please let me know what is the issue. I have mozilla-nss-3.11.7-15 mozilla-xulrunner181-1.8.1.4-30 mozilla-nspr-4.6.7-20 beagle-firefox-0.2.18-30 with openSUSE 10.3 (X86-64). Thanks, ShekarKCB -- ...

Web resources about - Flash-Player crashes in FireFox - opensuse.apps.multimedia

Adobe Flash Player - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia
The Adobe Flash Player is freeware software for viewing multimedia , executing rich Internet applications , and streaming video and audio, content ...

WARNING: Emails Promoting ‘Business’ Flash Player Lead To Facebook Malware
Attention, Google Chrome users: There is no such thing as a “business” Flash player, and downloading any browser extensions billed as such will ...

Upcoming Adobe Flash Player update could break Facebook apps
... Pete Bratach posted a note tonight regarding a recent notice from the Adobe Flash team that an upcoming April update to the Flash Player could ...

Photon Flash Player for iPad - Flash Video & Games plus Private Web Browser for iPad on the iTunes App ...
Get Photon Flash Player for iPad - Flash Video & Games plus Private Web Browser on the App Store. See screenshots and ratings, and read customer ...

Adobe pushes scareware with Flash Player installation - YouTube
... If you manually install the latest version of Flash Player from A...

Why you should uninstall Adobe Flash Player
Comment: Security holes, major or minor, pop up in Flash all the time. Adobe should finally retire it for good.

Adobe update - Flash Player - Windows 8
Adobe ships critical security updates for Flash as risk of US Election-related physhing potential increases.

Google engineer claims Adobe hid “embarrassingly high” number of Flash Player bugs
After sending out the usual laundry list of bug fixes for its Flash Player yesterday, Adobe is coming under pressure from Google security engineer ...

Apple continues to block older Flash Player versions on OS X for security
Apple today has confirmed that is updating its web plug-in blocking mechanism in OS X to disable all versions of Adobe Flash Player prior to ...

Adobe - Security Bulletins: APSB11-07 - Security update available for Adobe Flash Player
A critical vulnerability has been identified in Adobe Flash Player 10.2.153.1 and earlier versions (Adobe Flash Player 10.2.154.25 and earlier ...