DLU, "user management", user login and user source

I see I can disable the ZCM user login as discussed in the following
documentation:

'Novell Documentation'
(http://www.novell.com/documentation/zcm10/zcm10_system_admin/?page=/documentation/zcm10/zcm10_system_admin/data/bebfrq5.html)

If I choose to disable the "user management" on the Agent, does that do
the same thing?  With User Management disabled, what else does that
prevent?

I am not assigning ANY bundles or policies to users - only to
workstations.  I do have a dynamic local user (dlu) policy assigned to
workstations so I must have "User Source" configured... which I do, but
certain locations are not in the user source, but are in the Zen Zone -
so.... as soon as I configured "User Source" those "branch office" users
started receiving the second Zen login after their Novell Client Login.
Disabling "User Management" seems to have stopped the 2nd login.  Anyone
see any problems I might have by doing this?  Thanks!

--
heathermantsch

heathermantsch
2/24/2010 7:16:01 PM
novell.zenworks.cfg.10.agent 2099 articles. 0 followers. Follow

heathermantsch;1938187 Wrote:
> I see I can disable the ZCM user login as discussed in the following
> documentation:
>
> 'Novell Documentation'
> (http://www.novell.com/documentation/zcm10/zcm10_system_admin/?page=/documentation/zcm10/zcm10_system_admin/data/bebfrq5.html)
>
> If I choose to disable the "user management" on the Agent, does that do
> the same thing?  With User Management disabled, what else does that
> prevent?
>
> I am not assigning ANY bundles or policies to users - only to
> workstations.  I do have a dynamic local user (dlu) policy assigned to
> workstations so I must have "User Source" configured... which I do, but
> certain locations are not in the user source, but are in the Zen Zone -
> so.... as soon as I configured "User Source" those "branch office" users
> started receiving the second Zen login after their Novell Client Login.
> Disabling "User Management" seems to have stopped the 2nd login.  Anyone
> see any problems I might have by doing this?  Thanks!

Yes, disabling usermanagement should disable the zcm login box.

If you don't assign policys or bundles then it's safe to disable
usermanagement.. One other thing you loose is the ability to remote
control at the user object, you can only remote control workstation
object.

Thomas

--
http://thsundel.blogspot.com/

thsundel
2/24/2010 7:36:01 PM
heathermantsch;1938202 Wrote:
> Thanks THSUNDEL!  That should do the trick for us.
>
> For some reason my link posted above isn't going to the correct doc -
> It's supposed to point to "Disabling ZENworks User Authentication" -
> tells how to do this with registry keys - in case anyone cares in the
> future....I'll try again:
>
> 'Novell Documentation'
> (http://www.novell.com/documentation/zcm10/zcm10_system_admin/?page=/documentation/zcm10/zcm10_system_admin/data/bbtt3sz.html)

Yes it's a bit tricky to paste link to the novell documentation, but I
see now that you figured out how to do it :)

Thomas

--
http://thsundel.blogspot.com/

thsundel
2/24/2010 7:56:02 PM
Thanks THSUNDEL!  That should do the trick for us.

For some reason my link posted above isn't going to the correct doc -
It's supposed to point to "Disabling ZENworks User Authentication" -
tells how to do this with registry keys - in case anyone cares in the
future....I'll try again:

'Novell Documentation'
(http://www.novell.com/documentation/zcm10/zcm10_system_admin/?page=/documentation/zcm10/zcm10_system_admin/data/bbtt3sz.html)

--
heathermantsch

heathermantsch
2/24/2010 7:56:02 PM
Similar setup here, we are just using ZCM for DLU currently, with DLU
assigned to workstations.  For us, disabling user management seems to
disable DLU as well.

--
aldbadge

aldbadge