Travelling users, Roaming profiles and "Home Directory"

We a running netware 6 with zen4.01, with a mixture of w98,w2k and wxp

machines. We currently use roaming profiles which work well as long as

someone is not logging in from a remote site across the WAN.

We use RSync to syncronise users home directories between sites.

Zen only allows you to specify that the profile is stored in the %
HOME_DIRECTORY.

Alternatively you have to use a 'mandatory profile' to which, changes
the users desktop to not get written, but for which, you can specify a

drive mapping.

Is there anyway to control where zen looks for the %HOME_DIRECTORY so
that
we can point the users to their local site 'home directory' during
their
visit, because copying profiles that are several tens of megabytes
during
the login process across the WAN does not seem to be acceptable to the

users.

0
RMainprize
1/22/2004 2:30:51 PM
novell.zenworks.4x.management 2122 articles. 0 followers. Follow

In reponse to my own question, we have worked out a simple scenario
which
suits us as follows:

Set a system variable 'myvol' to your local user drive mapping:

e.g. myvol=\\server1\vol1

then in the user package properties, enable the dynamic local user,
then
under windows desktop preferencies, enable roaming profiles, enable
the
storage of roaming profiles and use the radio button for 'Store User
Profile in Network Directory Location'.

Then in the network directory location enter a path of:

%myvol%\users\%username%\Windows NT 5.1 Workstation Profile

This needs to be done for each type of operating systems as the last
bit
of the string changes for each operating system.

You can add diferent variables for different volume names which can be

called if users are in different contexts and use different user
packages.

Its all very flexible.

0
RMainprize