Primary Server Lock up/Sybase db question

Environment:  2 ZCM Primary Servers 10.3.4.  One standalone/external
Sybase 10 server

1.  While attempting to delete two Windows 7 Group Policies from the
WebUI, we got the hour glass that would not go away.  Checked server and
both primaries were running but WebUI had crashed and ZCM was
non-responsive.  Couldn't log in etc.  Restarted servers and was able to
log back into the WebUI.  One of the two policies was deleted
successfully.  We then attempted to delete the remaining policy and
experienced the same issue until we rebooted both primary servers.
Digging through the log files, I found something that may be the
culprit, but don't know what to do about it:

Failed while initializing Async IO extension of Sqlite with an
exception sqlite3async_initialize and stacktrace   at (wrapper
managed-to-native)
Novell.Zenworks.Cache.Sqlite.Sqlite:sqlite3async_initialize
(intptr,int)

I believe this error was logged right about the time we attempted to
delete the policy.  Any input or ideas?

As a side note, we noticed the documentation of ZCM 10 (including 10.3)
does NOT specifically mention doing any db maintenance other than
backing it up in the best practices section.  We do back up the db
nightly, but have NOT run any maintenance on it.  This seems odd
considering the documentation in ZCM 11 sp2, highly recommends doing
regular db maintenance.  We also noticed that the number of devices
supported by Sybase has decreased dramatically since the original
documenation.  Pretty positive we read that an external Sybase db could
handle up to 5000 devices (ZCM 10).  In reviewing the 10.3
documentation, this number has dropped to 1500!

So, three part question:

Could this problem be due to lack of maintenance on the db and would
doing the documented db maintenance possibly fix the problem?
We're looking at upgrading to ZCM 11 sp2.  Is it recommended to scrap
Sybase and pay the money to Microsoft and run MS SQL so we can support
all our devices (we have close to3000 devices currently)?
We also noticed that virtualizing any external db is NOT supported in
11 sp2 but we could not find anything about not using virualization in
the 10.3 doc.  Guessing this is just how it is under 11 sp2?

--
blewis12

blewis12
3/28/2012 3:36:02 PM
novell.zenworks.10.install 2954 articles. 0 followers. Follow

Could it be?
Perhaps, A Database Rebuild wold not be a bad thing.

#1 - Rebuilds never touch the original db, so it is a fairly safe procedure.

#2 - If there are issues in your DB, it could fix them or in certain
cases cause the rebuild to fail which would indicate a need to more
serious DB fixing.  Again if it fails, the original has not been touched
so you have not caused more issues.

#3 - Yes the numbers were reduced, but those are more for recommendation
guidelines.  There are so many factors it's really hard to put a number
on it and I believe they chose to shoot low to cover worse case
scenarios for Heavy Use and poor or virtualized hardware.

#4 - Yes, It IS supported virtualized. Again, the key word here is
"Recommended" vs "Supported".  And again the reason is performance
related.  Not all Virtualization solutions are created equal.
So long as sufficient resources are dedicated to the VM it is fine.
Many customers, however, believe that because it is virtualized, they
can allocate less ram than is recommended, can allocate only a slice of
a single core, etc.. etc.. etc.. just because the host meets the minimum
requirements.

#5 - 11.2 will actually be MORE robust in what it can handle with Sybase
than prior versions due to a more powerful version of Sybase.
The reduction in the recommended numbers are simply in how Novell
decided to present the numbers.  In the past, The idea was that
customers who designed their ZCM  deployment with a light to moderate
overhead design could handle 5,000 devices so that was published.
They adjusted that to only say 1,500 which would cover a heavy load
design.  The idea being it was better to give a low figure and have
customers be able to expand beyond it than to give a high figure that
was too hopefull.

There are ways to examine your server performance to see if there is a
significant db bottleneck.

My recommendation would be to go to 11.2, then working on seeing if you
have DB performance issues, and then making a choice on where to go from
there.

On 3/28/2012 11:36 AM, blewis12 wrote:

> Environment:  2 ZCM Primary Servers 10.3.4.  One standalone/external
> Sybase 10 server
>
> 1.  While attempting to delete two Windows 7 Group Policies from the
> WebUI, we got the hour glass that would not go away.  Checked server and
> both primaries were running but WebUI had crashed and ZCM was
> non-responsive.  Couldn't log in etc.  Restarted servers and was able to
> log back into the WebUI.  One of the two policies was deleted
> successfully.  We then attempted to delete the remaining policy and
> experienced the same issue until we rebooted both primary servers.
> Digging through the log files, I found something that may be the
> culprit, but don't know what to do about it:
>

> Failed while initializing Async IO extension of Sqlite with an
> exception sqlite3async_initialize and stacktrace   at (wrapper
> managed-to-native)
> Novell.Zenworks.Cache.Sqlite.Sqlite:sqlite3async_initialize
> (intptr,int)
>
> I believe this error was logged right about the time we attempted to
> delete the policy.  Any input or ideas?
>
> As a side note, we noticed the documentation of ZCM 10 (including 10.3)
> does NOT specifically mention doing any db maintenance other than
> backing it up in the best practices section.  We do back up the db
> nightly, but have NOT run any maintenance on it.  This seems odd
> considering the documentation in ZCM 11 sp2, highly recommends doing
> regular db maintenance.  We also noticed that the number of devices
> supported by Sybase has decreased dramatically since the original
> documenation.  Pretty positive we read that an external Sybase db could
> handle up to 5000 devices (ZCM 10).  In reviewing the 10.3
> documentation, this number has dropped to 1500!
>
> So, three part question:
>
> Could this problem be due to lack of maintenance on the db and would
> doing the documented db maintenance possibly fix the problem?
> We're looking at upgrading to ZCM 11 sp2.  Is it recommended to scrap
> Sybase and pay the money to Microsoft and run MS SQL so we can support
> all our devices (we have close to3000 devices currently)?
> We also noticed that virtualizing any external db is NOT supported in
> 11 sp2 but we could not find anything about not using virualization in
> the 10.3 doc.  Guessing this is just how it is under 11 sp2?

--
Craig Wilson - MCNE, MCSE, CCNA
Novell Knowledge Partner

Novell does not officially monitor these forums.

Suggestions/Opinions/Statements made by me are solely my own.
These thoughts may not be shared by either Novell or any rational human.
0
craig
3/28/2012 3:51:37 PM
Thanks Craig for the input!  I'm guessing step 1 is to do the db
maintenance to see if it will clear up our policy deletion issue.  We
are already planning on upgrading to 11 sp2, so may just keep our
existing set up and then monitor our performance then make a decision
from there per your recommendation.  If the db maintenance does not
clear up our issue though, I may open a ticket with Novell as I would
feel much better knowing we didn't have ANY db issues prior to upgrading
to 11 sp2 :-)  Thanks again!

--
blewis12
blewis12's Profile: http://forums.novell.com/member.php?userid=487

0
blewis12
3/28/2012 4:46:01 PM
Yes, Definitely do a DB rebuild before the upgrade if you never have
done one.

The upgrade process will do a DB rebuild and if the rebuild is going to
fail, you don't want it to happen during the upgrade.

The biggest concern would be that the rebuild process can work and does
not fail with some type of database error.

Even if it does not solve the issue, it should indicate that the 11.2
upgrade which includes a much newer and faster version of Sybase should
not be held up by database corruption.

--
Craig Wilson - MCNE, MCSE, CCNA
Novell Knowledge Partner

Novell does not officially monitor these forums.

Suggestions/Opinions/Statements made by me are solely my own.
These thoughts may not be shared by either Novell or any rational human.
0
craig

Primary server at 10.1.2 and baselined added another primary server but at 10.1
--____XVGHEWTKZTKNDUTTPNJE____ Content-Type: text/plain; charset=iso-8859-15 Content-Transfer-Encoding: quoted-printable Content-Disposition: inline; modification-date="Sat, 6 Feb 2009 07:47:12 -0500" How can I get the second server up to 10.1.2 if the first one is baselined.= Thanks Dean --____XVGHEWTKZTKNDUTTPNJE____ Content-Type: multipart/related; boundary="____ZXWFZHGFLSKJGXIBBTWG____" --____ZXWFZHGFLSKJGXIBBTWG____ Content-Type: text/html; charset=iso-8859-15 Content-Transfer-Encoding: quoted-printable Content-Disposition: inline; modificatio...

Sybase 10.01 Server does not boot during Installation
Dear Forum I am trying to install Sybase 10.01 in SCO-Openserver Enterprise 5.0.4 . Network is working - ping and telnet are O.K. etc/hosts and etc/services are correct . etc/services have the dedicated sybase query/listener port no. defined . Sybinit creates the master device , buildmaster runs successfully . RUN_SERVER does not work . It reports the following errors : Contents of The Sybase$HOME/init/logs/logmm88.nnn file ------------------------------------------------------ 08/19/98 03:55:10 PM Sybinit/10.0.1/P2/SCO/Sy...

Update to 10.2.1 on primary Zenworks server problems
I deployed the 10.2.1 updated to our two primary Zenworks servers (Windows 2003). One upgraded with no issues, the other primary server upgraded, said it was successful, but there are constant errors in the application log that the Zenworks User Management product cannot be installed because a newer version already exists on the server. What steps can be taken to stop the attempts to update Zenworks User Management and have this server recognize that it has been updated successfully? Thanks, Leo Boucher -- boucher_leo ------------------------------------------------...

How does the installer install DB in SQL Server.
Hi All, I wonder how the installer do the DB installation when user choose to use SQL Server, I mean how does it detect what dbs are already in SQL Server, etc, etc. (is there a common dialog box for installing db in sql??) I would like to learn how the whole installer is created, where can I download the Installer project. If no, where can I found related tutorial on web? Thanks. I found this http://www.fawcette.com/vsm/2002_11/online/ferracchiati/default.aspx online but the articles didn't say much about installing database in SQL Server. Thanks in advance! Edwin Edwin, ...

ZCM 10.3.0 Primary Server Install to existing Zone.
I am trying to install a new primary 10.3 server into an existing zone on a Win2k8 R2 64bit Virtualised server (VM ESX 4.0). Each time the installation continues almost to completion, but on the post installation page the install reports errors - roll-back or continue. In the install log, everything is green, up to and including: ZENworks services successfully installed and configured Then the next message is:- ConfigureAction failed!: com.novell.zenworks.datamodel.exceptions.ConnectionException: org.hibernate.exception.GenericJDBCException: Cannot open connection at c...

Update 10.3.2 to 10.3.3 on primary server (sles 10) fails?
we tried to upgrade from 10.3.2 to 10.3.3 on the primary server first (Sles 10 SP3). Although the deployment stage reported success - the server shows still 10.3.2 for ZCM, ZAM und ZPM. we then tried to deploy 10.3.3 for one win7 sp1 workstation - with success. so, what can be done to bring the primary server to 10.3.3 or is it just showing the wrong version? Thanks for any help Andrej Hi! I've same here -- "Update for ZCM (10.3.3) - Update Completed", but server (SLES 11) show via ZCC 10.2.2. All updated WS's show 10.3.3. But, I have "slight"...

Sybase Central for SYBASE 10 SQL Server ?
Hello all, is there any way to use Sybase Central for accessing a SYBASE 10 SQL Server working on SUN Solaris? Where can I get a Plugin from ? Thanks for any contribution! Regards, Roland This is a multi-part message in MIME format. --------------436910866C0AA0A07166A612 Content-Type: text/plain; charset=us-ascii Content-Transfer-Encoding: 7bit Roland Schingnitz wrote: > Hello all, > is there any way to use Sybase Central for accessing a SYBASE 10 SQL > Server working on SUN Solaris? Where can I get a Plugin from ? > Thanks for any contribution! > Regards...

Advantage DB to Sybase SQL anywhere 10 DB
I've DL'd the Advantage ODBC and Advantage server and I cannot get the ODBC to show the fields within the .ADI, .ADM, .ADT files. Can anyone tell me what I am missing in order to convert the Advantage DB to the Anywhere 10 DB? Kevin Kevin, This group is used for ASE ODBC driver discussions... I expect that you'll need to post this message to a ASA newsgroup. Cory Sane [TeamSybase Intern] Certified Sybase Associate DBA for ASE 15.0 <Kevin> wrote in message news:47965cd7.4831.1681692777@sybase.com... > I've DL'd the Advantage ODBC and Advantage ...

Comparing Dates in a Sybase db or a SQL Server db
Hi, I need to compare two date fields from a database they will have the same date but they may have different times. Is there a SQl function that will strip the time from the date type so just the date part can be compared? I would convert the two dates to strings and compare the strings. IF/WHERE Convert (Char (8), DateColumn1, 1) = Convert (Char (8), DateColumn2, 1) If you need to query on > or < you need to convert the strings back to datetime: IF/WHERE Convert (datetime, Convert (Char (8), DateColumn1, 1)) > Convert (datetime, Convert (Char (8), DateColumn2, 1...

New Server/Tree Install
Good Afternoon, I am Installing NW 6.5 on a test server. It will run DNS and other network services. I am at the part of the installation where the Tree has been named and it is now asking for a context to put the new server. I have three options ... Country, Orginization, or DC (domain). My question is: What is the DC container used for? I can find nothing about this in the netware 6.5 book, and am looking on line as we speak ... Thank you, Tony Use Organization. DC is Domain Container and of no interest to you unless you're going to run AD or NAM. -- Andrew C ...

BCP Sybase SQL Server db to SQL Anywhere db?
Anyone, I am searching for an automated way to take an entire Sybase SQL Server db on a Unix server and get it into a Sybase SQL Anywhere db on my laptop. I dont feel like going table by table through the Pipeline not to mention that I have RI proplems with this approach as well. Ideally, I would like to have explained to me a way to perform a BCP from the Unix SQL Server world into the windows based SQL Anywhere world. If this is even possible. The model itself is not as important as the data because we use ERwin and I am able to forward engineer the model onto the SQL Anywhe...

[...]

Two Primary Server Questions
1. I am trying to migrate from a 32bit/sles/v103.3.3 platform to 64bit/sles/v10.3.3. Is it possible to move the ZPM role from one Primary to another (Subscription Service) 2. I accidently moved a Primary server under another Primary server (Parent Primary/Child Primary). ZCC does not allow me to move the secondy Primary back to its Parent Primary Role. Is there another way to do this, say from ZMAN. Thanks. -- pcwoodring ------------------------------------------------------------------------ Pcwoodring, > 1. I am trying to migrate from a 32bit/sles/v103.3....

Web resources about - Primary Server Lock up/Sybase db question - novell.zenworks.10.install

Cobalt cases still throw up questions after a year in the spotlight
Michelle Payne might have supplied the star moment on Prince Of Penzance in the Melbourne Cup for 2015 but the defining word of the year has ...

General Question
I have a Carrier furnace. It takes 20x25x5 air filters. Does it really matter what brand filter I buy?

Hillary's communications director Jen Palmieri sounded utterly terrified facing questions from George ...
Palmieri should have been perfectly prepared. She's the communications director so she should be an ace at communications. She knew the precise ...

Weekend Reading: Buffer: 27 Questions to Ask Instead of “What Do You Do?”
**Buffer**: [27 Questions to Ask Instead of “What Do You Do?”](https://medium.com/keep-learning-keep-growing/27-question-to-ask-instead-of-w ...

Democratic debate features question on spouses - Business Insider Deutschland
Is it time to change the role of a president's spouse? candidates were asked. REUTERS/Brian Snyder Bernie Sanders (left) and Hillary Clinton. ...

Juniper faces questions about spying code planted in software
The discovery of spying code nestled deeply in Juniper's networking equipment, the latest example of a major IT vendor caught up in an damaging ...

Ask Me Anything: Question 6
Continuing with the Ask Me Anything series , today’s question is about startup stress And here is my answer Part of reducing startup stress ...

Stevens: No question Thomas is a ‘very good scorer’
Skip to main content Comcast SportsNet - CSNNE.com Header links TV Listings Channel Finder Apps Follow Bar RSN login or register Login Search ...

Texans Receiver Has One Very Vulgar Question For The Ref
Texans Receiver Has One Very Vulgar Question For The Ref